Photo by Melody

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: Eucalyptus and other fillers Please!

Communities > Forums > Cut Flowers and Floral Design
bookmark
Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral DesignReplies: 7, Views: 38
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 19, 2009
12:23 AM

Post #6157874

Does any one grow eucalyptus? It does not grow in my zone and I would love to find someone who has some growing and that they could send me their prunings.

I would be happy to trade some plants of mine, or seed or maybe a cuttings off of trees or plants that I grow here.

Some other fillers I would love to get would be statice latifolia or the german statice, babys breath. I used to be able to grow these at my other farm, but not here and I do miss the cuttings! And annual statice, the pretty colored ones. I have numerous "wildflowers" that I can dry for filler, but need a touch of the "domestics"

Holly leaves and berries and misletoe in the winter would be cool too.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2009
1:02 PM

Post #6224142

Hey blossom, I have tried to grow it but to no avail. Just did not like it here either. I do have some small shrubs of pink and white gypsophilia, but even they have not grown much over the years and are still a pitiful showing, not sure what the problem is with them as I would have thought they would be huge bushes by now.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2009
1:27 PM

Post #6224232

I tried gyph.. the annual stuff does ok. German statice and statice latifolia do ok to fair too.. as for the euc...no way.. I think it is more of a zone thing.. so hopefully someone out there when they prune might think of me! I just want the cuttings for wreaths and arrangements.. so nice and smelling good!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2009
11:19 AM

Post #6228362

Hi Blossom ,
I sowed eucalyptus. Just the other day check in in a few weeks I let you know how it is going . Should have extra.
Robin
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2009
4:04 PM

Post #6229239

How does it winter? I know nothing about growing it. I always thought it was a bush or shrub!!

I am willing to try some. Please check my trade list then and see what you would like and drop me a d-mail ok!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2009
4:40 PM

Post #6229387

Ok mine is just starting do it will be a bit. Do you want some of the seeds seems easy to start? You can probably grow it as a perennial at the very least. Should stay as a bush for you. not sure. I have to grow it as an annual:(
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2009
12:39 AM

Post #6231106

See, we are same zone, so that is what I thought.. So its a half hardy perennial to annual depending on location. Are you doing it in pots later?
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2009
1:15 AM

Post #6231281

I will put it into pots then see how big it gets may transplant some into garden spots like, Stevia is planted and I'll replant every year. Im going to hope I can mulch enough and have some surprise me and come back next year!! I have sage that lasted into november and basil parsley things like that come back here, So maybe. I have a Russian sage that I am crssing my fingers for I just love it one of my faorites I think. I hope it comes back Ill never find it again,

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America