Photo by Melody
PlantFiles is getting a new look! Just in time for spring, we're rolling out a new look for the best online plants database. It will also work with your smart phones and mobile devices, so now you can take it with you on garden center visits or botanical garden tours. Questions or comments? Please post them here.

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: Eucalyptus and other fillers Please!

Communities > Forums > Cut Flowers and Floral Design
bookmark
Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral DesignReplies: 7, Views: 38
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 19, 2009
12:23 AM

Post #6157874

Does any one grow eucalyptus? It does not grow in my zone and I would love to find someone who has some growing and that they could send me their prunings.

I would be happy to trade some plants of mine, or seed or maybe a cuttings off of trees or plants that I grow here.

Some other fillers I would love to get would be statice latifolia or the german statice, babys breath. I used to be able to grow these at my other farm, but not here and I do miss the cuttings! And annual statice, the pretty colored ones. I have numerous "wildflowers" that I can dry for filler, but need a touch of the "domestics"

Holly leaves and berries and misletoe in the winter would be cool too.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2009
1:02 PM

Post #6224142

Hey blossom, I have tried to grow it but to no avail. Just did not like it here either. I do have some small shrubs of pink and white gypsophilia, but even they have not grown much over the years and are still a pitiful showing, not sure what the problem is with them as I would have thought they would be huge bushes by now.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2009
1:27 PM

Post #6224232

I tried gyph.. the annual stuff does ok. German statice and statice latifolia do ok to fair too.. as for the euc...no way.. I think it is more of a zone thing.. so hopefully someone out there when they prune might think of me! I just want the cuttings for wreaths and arrangements.. so nice and smelling good!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2009
11:19 AM

Post #6228362

Hi Blossom ,
I sowed eucalyptus. Just the other day check in in a few weeks I let you know how it is going . Should have extra.
Robin
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2009
4:04 PM

Post #6229239

How does it winter? I know nothing about growing it. I always thought it was a bush or shrub!!

I am willing to try some. Please check my trade list then and see what you would like and drop me a d-mail ok!
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2009
4:40 PM

Post #6229387

Ok mine is just starting do it will be a bit. Do you want some of the seeds seems easy to start? You can probably grow it as a perennial at the very least. Should stay as a bush for you. not sure. I have to grow it as an annual:(
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2009
12:39 AM

Post #6231106

See, we are same zone, so that is what I thought.. So its a half hardy perennial to annual depending on location. Are you doing it in pots later?
arejay59
Litchfield, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2009
1:15 AM

Post #6231281

I will put it into pots then see how big it gets may transplant some into garden spots like, Stevia is planted and I'll replant every year. Im going to hope I can mulch enough and have some surprise me and come back next year!! I have sage that lasted into november and basil parsley things like that come back here, So maybe. I have a Russian sage that I am crssing my fingers for I just love it one of my faorites I think. I hope it comes back Ill never find it again,

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America