Photo by Melody

Article: Greens, Pepper Sauce, and Cornbread: Southern Cuisine: You GO girl!

Communities > Forums > Article: Greens, Pepper Sauce, and Cornbread: Southern Cuisine
bookmark
Forum: Article: Greens, Pepper Sauce, and Cornbread: Southern CuisineReplies: 4, Views: 40
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
darkmoondreamer
(Karen) Frankston, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 19, 2009
12:25 PM

Post #6159668

Ah...greens' n pepper sauce and cornbread...I was raised on it, and still love it today, considering those dishes to be a staple here in my home. I'm in East Texas, near Tyler. Has to be the good ol' juice from the peppers stored in vinegar at our house, although other family members prefer tobasco or something else. Pot liquor? Ummmm...drink of champions! Thanks for bringing attention to the wonderful Southern "staple" food!
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

February 19, 2009
12:34 PM

Post #6159701

Great article, Marie, on Southern staples! Nothing like collards when they're cooked right. And my grandmother's cornbread, oh, my, don't get me started. Never any sugar.

Thank you for revealing some of our heritage cuisine.
LLMac
Mountain Grove, MO

February 19, 2009
1:15 PM

Post #6159814

Thanks for the great article! It was like a little trip to my "other" home in Carolina. I lived there long enough to fall in love with its people and its cuisine. Now if I could only have some good southern barbecue to go with all that...

Mac
PullTab
Beautiful Brazoria C, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 19, 2009
2:08 PM

Post #6160001

Oh, yes, grits and greens! At the crack of dawn day before yesterday I was out thinnin' the turnip greens. Watching the sun rise on the back door step I couldn't stand it any more and trimmed up the outer leaves, (somehow none ever get very big or tough in my garden) washed and into a big pot with a good amount of water - soon to be pot likker -uh- liquor...
I didn't bother with the grits or cornbread or any side other than a fork...20 minutes later I drained the 'likker' into a big mug to sip along side, and piled the greens onto a plate, a big shot of pepper sauce and breakfast was served!

Your article is a wonderful picture of Southern Cuisine, indeed. Different greens, pepper sauce made any which way from a variety of hot peppers and a corn product...I took to doing grits or polenta to keep from running the oven, I never quite picked up my grandmother's flick of the wrist for stove top cornbread, my loss.

Thank you - I'll just go check my patch of greens, shouldn't let them get crowded.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2009
8:08 PM

Post #6161547

Thanks for the memories (and reminder)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Greens, Pepper Sauce, and Cornbread: Southern Cuisine Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
pepper sauce wind 0 Feb 19, 2009 10:37 PM
Greens, Peppers and Cornbread milliebug 2 Mar 2, 2009 7:46 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America