Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Useful Tip: How to Type the Degree Symbol in a Post

Waterville, VT(Zone 4b)

Most Hoyas don't like being below 50 for extended periods of time. Type 50 and then hold down the alt key while typing 0176 on the numeric key pad. When you take your finger off the alt key the sign will appear. I thought this was kind of a neat thing.

Doug

P.S. It is currently 32 here in Burlington, VT.

Letohatchee, AL

GRRRRREAT TIP

Jody

(Zone 1)

hmmm ... gotta try it! It's currently a cloudy 71 here in Daytona Beach, Fl.

Whitby, ON(Zone 5b)

Doesn't work for me. If I do it with the numeric key pad it takes me to my home page (?!?). If I do it with the number row keys, it just ignores me completely. I'll try it on my computer at home though just in case it's a built in glitch with the work computer.

Christine

(Zone 1)

It didn't work for me on my numeric key pad, but it did work with the top row number keys!

London, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Christine, the same thing happened to me! Weird!

Chesapeake, VA(Zone 7b)

It is currently 52 here in Chesapeake, Va worked for me!

Letohatchee, AL

50...worked for me.....windy and cold in Letohatchee, Alabama

Whitestone, NY(Zone 7a)

49 degrees here in Queens, NY.

It worked! Oddly enough, it did not work on my top row of numbers, but worked on my numeric key pad. Strange that it's opposite for some of us.

Doug, how'd you find this out??

Gabi

North Augusta, ON

let's see...currently -2

ha!! it worked!!

Teguise, Spain

Currently 72
Neat..
tho on a Mac, just hold down the alt key and type 0 (zero) I just found out

(Zone 1)

I have a Mac ... let me try it that way. It's currently 67 here now, ok it worked ... thanks Dominic! I would never remember the other numbers unless I wrote them down (and then I'd lose the note!) so it's a lot easier for me to do it by just holding the alt key and typing in zero!

Waterville, VT(Zone 4b)

Gabi,

I saw this tip on another forum I belong to that deals with burning wood pellets for heat. I have always wanted to know how to use that symbol rather than always typing out the word degrees.

10 celcius = 50 farenheit. Oh no! I can't stop.

Doug

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

It's 60 in Austin TX.
Thank you Doug, I use a lot of those alt + numbers, when I write in Spanish to type the accents, letters and exclamation marks used in the language. But I didn't know this one.
Thanks!

North Central, ID(Zone 6a)

Check out this website - I too like Lourdes have used the alt + for typing in Spanish,
and sometimes wondered how to do other stuff. So I googled it and came up with
this website - a good list of any symbol you could want !

http://nabilsama.blogspot.com/2008/02/typing-symbol-using-keyboard-alt.html

Waterville, VT(Zone 4b)

Wow! that is a huge and useful list - worth printing out.

Thanks,

Doug

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Thank you Paula, the common ones I know by heart now; but some I have to look them up when I need them. I'll book mark the page.
Gracias!

Teguise, Spain

Lourdes/Paula.........Are you not able to change the language on you keyboard at the top for typing Spanish? On mine I can switch it to Spanish on the computer, and then the keys on the keyboard register differently etc

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Hi Dominic,

I tried changing it, but mine doesn't work all the time, so I went back to alt+ number. Would help a lot because 95% of what I type, is in Spanish.
Thank you!

Brownsville, KY(Zone 6a)

That method works if the reader uses your character set. Otherwise, you can just use standard HTML: °

(Both the ampersand and the semicolon are needed). Other examples:
http://edge-op.org/files/htmlchars.html

It's about 34° F here.

London, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Aha... I have discovered the problem. I didn't have the "Num Lock" button on. Currently 50F or 10C here, and the sky's a beautiful shade of grey...

Waterville, VT(Zone 4b)

Got to love those gray skies if you live where you do. It is the same in Vermont - day after day of grayness. It is currently 22 here.

(Zone 1)

It's currently a chilly and breezy 52 here, but at least the sun is shining!

Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

Lin, we're about the same. It's 61 here now, and sunny. I've got plants coming up and I hope Spring is on the way, finally!

(Judith) Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Hmmm, I always knew there was a solution. (-: Didn't work for me, took me to my home page too. Trying top number row now. Didn't work either. I'm using Firefox, wonder if it would work with IE. Loading now....

Didn't work changing browsers. Bummer!

(Zone 1)

I have a Macintosh computer, using Safari as my browser, and all I have to do is hold the alt key down and the number zero for the degree symbol, very easy and I like easy! ... Still only 52F here in central Fla.

Bartlett, TN(Zone 7b)

I have the new iMac and mine is Option 0 with Safari.
56 here in memphis today.
I like easy too plantlady. ☺

Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

65 here today at 9:49 AM Needed to use numeric lock key first. I like this info. as I am working on a bake book for my kids and is useful for oven temps. Helene

46 in Denver. Hooray! It finally helped when I held down the Numeric Lock key.

Waterville, VT(Zone 4b)

This morning it was 3 outside my home in Waterville, VT while yesterday's high temperature in my plant room was 86.

Doug

(Zone 1)

Wow Doug ... 3 - Brrr that is too cold! Now, that temp in your plant room is more like it!

It's currently 68 here in Daytona Beach, Florida. Thank goodness our cold weather is over! It's supposed to be high 70's and low 80's the next week or two with lows in the mid to upper 50's! Yay!

Spring is coming! ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

Whitby, ON(Zone 5b)

Must be an American thing .... won't work for me at work or at home. Sends me to another place altogether. Oh well, there are worst fates in life...

Christine

North Augusta, ON

Nope, not just an American thing ^_^

Waterville, VT(Zone 4b)

Christine,

It is really wierd that it won't work on either your work or home computer. Have you tried to go into MS word or another word processing program and try it? I first tried it there before I posted about the hint. The num lock key does have to be activated.

You are right! there sure are much worse things in life.

Doug

Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

yes, on top of the numeric pad is a key (Num/Lock). push this first and then the number you want, then Alt depressed and 0176. Release Alt key. viola Helene.

Whitby, ON(Zone 5b)

1C in Toronto this afternoon = 34F

Woo hoo!! I must have missed that Num/Lock instruction earlier. Or glazed over it, or ... oh, dang, face it, I just don't pay attention to everything anymore I guess...lol

Christine

Waterville, VT(Zone 4b)

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doug

Whitby, ON(Zone 5b)

Whee Ha!! Its up to 2C! Spring's a coming!!

Waterville, VT(Zone 4b)

Ha! I wish Spring was around the corner. We got 14 inches of snow on Sunday with another Nor' Easter predicted for this Sunday. I have got to get it together to get pictures of my house. The snow piles are higher than my car. It is getting hard to see out the windows because of it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.