Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: A Tale of Two Hollyhocks The Priscilla Hollyhock: A beautiful bit of history

Communities > Forums > Article: A Tale of Two Hollyhocks The Priscilla Hollyhock
bookmark
Forum: Article: A Tale of Two Hollyhocks The Priscilla HollyhockReplies: 11, Views: 83
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2009
6:43 AM

Post #6163954

Ben, your story is beautiful. I will always think of it when I see the blooms of hollyhocks. Thank you for an enlightening piece of history.
LLMac
Mountain Grove, MO

February 20, 2009
1:22 PM

Post #6164310

What a beautiful story! Hollyhocks are among my grandmother's favorites, too. Thanks for the day-brightener. :-)
Mac

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 20, 2009
1:29 PM

Post #6164323

This is a wonderful story, I have many plants that were given to me by friends, some of them gone now, and every time I look at those plants I think of them.
Gardening is a wonderful way to bring people together.
Josephine.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 20, 2009
2:23 PM

Post #6164480

Hollyhocks were always in my grandmother's garden and the first to grace my cottage.

Thank you for the story. Now I will be "on the trail" looking for Priscilla.

Christi

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2009
3:15 PM

Post #6164727

And this is why we do what we do...

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 20, 2009
4:26 PM

Post #6165062

Wonderfully engrossing article! Gardeners are such special people.

Doug
dahlianut
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 20, 2009
5:37 PM

Post #6165409

Hollyhocks are very important to my family as they were the only ornamental grown on the homestead in the prairies. My grandmother and mother both carried on this tradition with hollyhocks in their gardens. Thank you for sharing this wonderful story with us. I too will look for the Priscilla now.

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 20, 2009
5:57 PM

Post #6165514

Of course let us not forget Basil Silkwood who bought Priscilla for 1000 dollars and treated her like a daughter, had he not been so kind and generous, who knows who know what might have become of her and her Hollyhock?
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

February 20, 2009
6:02 PM

Post #6165540

An absolutely charming story! I grew my first hollyhocks last season thanks to the kindness of DGer grampapa(Jan Recchio) who sent me seeds. Perhaps, I, too can find some Priscillas to grow! Thank you again for this delightful story!.
BennysPlace
Beverly Hills, CA

February 20, 2009
6:35 PM

Post #6165679

Good Morning Everyone!

What a wonderful response to this article. I have to say that I have been working on this article for over a year. I rewrote from scratch at least three times. I became immediately inspired from the start and I am pleased I have had the opportunity to share this story with all of you. Priscilla's strength and love for her plant is so heart warming and touching.

To Sharon
Thank you SO kindly. I was pleased yet nervous to write this story. I found it difficult to get the emotions in my heart into words and I am just pleased I came up with something that people enjoy. You all have beautiful hollyhocks in your part of the country. Thank you for thinking of this story when you see these wonderful flowers.

To Mac
Thank you so kindly and I am happy I could brighten your day with this story. Hollyhocks have been in the cottage garden for so long yet they don't have the same popularity as they once did. They are making a comeback though and I hope I have inspired a few to try and grow them.

To Josephine
This is the best way to garden. The plants become more than plants when we receive them from friends or perhaps obtain them from somewhere special. They embody memories, moments and allow us to enjoy the spiritual side of gardening that much more. Thank you so much for your kind words.

To Christi
Thank you so kindly. If your trail leads you to Mulkeytown, Illinois, you will find these plants. :-) I hope to make the pilgrimage this summer. Thank you so much again and here's to your beautiful cottage garden.

To Melody
Amen. The love of the plant and the spiritual connection we have with moments, places and nature is what adds the green to our veins. Thank you so kindly.

To Doug

Thank you SO much. Gardeners are indeed very special people. I think it is because we take tremendous joy in creation. Thank you so kindly for your words.

To Dahlia

I have seen photos of the old barn hollyhocks from the prairies. Beautiful. That's another story in itself. Hollyhocks were once planted near the out houses. It was always nicer to say I am going to view the hollyhocks. :-) I hope you are carrying on the tradition too.

To Frostweed

Yes, Basil Silkwood saved her life and brought the girl and her plants to their permanent home filled with love and hope. It will be very important for me to make the pilgrimage to Mulkeytown and see the house and the plants first hand. From what I have read, this man was incredible. When he passed, he left his land and home to his children. Because of his kindness we can enjoy the legacy of this little girl. Thank you kindly for what you wrote.

To Marsue
Jan is a wonderful person. Nice one! You will get flowers this season. I bet you are excited. It was a pleasure to share this story and I wish you luck with your hollyhocks.

To All

First, blessings to everyone. Next, I am pleased to report my hollyhocks are thriving in our lovely, mild spring weather here. This is technically the second season for these plants so, I should have blooms. You all who are familiar with this plant know that there will be LOTS of seeds. So, for all that have been moved by this story, please D-Mail me and I will create a list of all who want seeds. I will happily send seeds of the Priscilla Hollyhock to all who want them.

When I return from Mulkeytown, I will write another article detailing the trip. That should be coming out some time this summer.

I wish you all the best and thank you for reading this article. It is a blessing for me to be able to share it with so many.
Fitsy
Hayesville, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2009
2:56 PM

Post #6177855

Here comes me-too tag-along - I too am deeply touched by your
article, and thank you heaps for writing it for us.,
Fitsy
BennysPlace
Beverly Hills, CA

February 23, 2009
9:18 PM

Post #6179601

Hi Fitsy,

Thank you so much!

It was an honor and a privelege to share this story.

Thank you again and all the best.

Blessings,
Ben

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: A Tale of Two Hollyhocks The Priscilla Hollyhock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Author's Point of View on Priscilla AnneBroyles 11 Feb 21, 2009 3:23 AM
Thank you robcorreia 1 Feb 23, 2009 9:17 PM
a touching story with a good ending! gloriag 1 Feb 23, 2009 9:17 PM
Delightful! Fleurs 1 Feb 23, 2009 9:20 PM
Priscilla ginny11 1 Mar 5, 2009 4:20 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America