Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Knowing the Degree of Difficulty When Starting Flowering Plants from Seed: A Beginner's Reference: Blue Poppy

Communities > Forums > Article: Knowing the Degree of Difficulty When Starting Flowering Plants from Seed: A Beginner's Reference
bookmark
Forum: Article: Knowing the Degree of Difficulty When Starting Flowering Plants from Seed: A Beginner's ReferenceReplies: 8, Views: 93
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Debsroots
Northwest, MO
(Zone 5a)

February 20, 2009
12:11 PM

Post #6164174

Did you ever get the Himalayan Blue Poppy to germinate and grow?

Great article
bloomheaven
Southern
United States

February 20, 2009
4:52 PM

Post #6165157

I was wondering the same thing!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2009
8:14 PM

Post #6166093

Me, too. I found this when I traveled to Alaska last summer...and I would love to have it grow here. Doubt that it will though...

Nice article, Larry. Very informative.

Thumbnail by Sharran
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 20, 2009
11:32 PM

Post #6166959

I tried the blue poppy last year, both indoors and wintersown. The indoors ones germinated, but died. One sole sprout grew from the wintersown container, but spent the whole summer as the tiniest little seedling, and finally just expired.

I had no idea how difficult the blue poppy would be. I got it in a seed mix from Parks called Rare and Unusual. I never stopped to consider WHY those plants were rare. I just thought they were cool! I had a pretty poor track record with almost all of them. :( Live and learn!

Aunt_A

February 21, 2009
12:00 AM

Post #6167105

Such a lovely flower!

Thanks for a nice article with lots of info.

April
LarryR
South Amana, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 22, 2009
10:31 PM

Post #6175089

Thanks, everyone for your kind words and comments. Unfortunately, I didn't get any Meconopsis seeds to germinate. If they had germinated, I would have been scrambling to try to provide the proper growing conditions, only to have the plants fry in Iowa's hot summers!
perry124
Randolph, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 23, 2009
5:22 PM

Post #6178560

Great article...I was going to buy this plant as it looks gorgeous. Any idea if it would thrive (or even survive...) in zone 6a?
Leehallfae
Seattle, WA

February 24, 2009
10:48 AM

Post #6181992

Yes, Meconopsis will thrive in Zone 6a, if the soil is acid.

These plants are almost ridiculously easy to grow. The diffiicult part is obtaining fresh seed.

And yes, they grow in my backyard.

Jennifer

Seattle, WA, aka the Pacific Northwest
LarryR
South Amana, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2009
1:33 AM

Post #6190669

The Pacific Northwest is really the only place where Meconopsis will thrive in the U.S. They thrive best where it is cool and moist, so they also do well in Scotland, Ireland, coastal British Columbia, Alaska and the north of Norway. I'm guessing that even though you're in Zone 6a in Massachusetts, perry, the summers will be too warm and the plants won't get enough consistent moisture during the growing season. Best--Larry☼

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Knowing the Degree of Difficulty When Starting Flowering Plants from Seed: A Beginner's Reference Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
nice article! onewish1 2 Feb 22, 2009 10:44 PM
Thanks... Sundownr 2 Feb 22, 2009 10:42 PM
Your article. leeflea51 1 Feb 22, 2009 10:39 PM
geraniums mothermole 1 Feb 22, 2009 10:34 PM
Thank you! Plantedz 3 Mar 1, 2009 6:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America