Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Tiny Gardens: Tiny plants for gnome garden in deep shade??

Communities > Forums > Tiny Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Tiny GardensReplies: 8, Views: 123
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

February 20, 2009
2:23 PM

Post #6164481

I need some ideas for types of tiny plants to add to my gnome garden in deep shade,dry soil of a huge double trunk oak.I do try to water on a regular bases. I'd like to put in something ground hugging around the stones in the path,something that would look like little trees and shrubs...of course something with tiny blooms too. About all I have ,small,in that area are some mini hostas I grew from seed. Use to have some small ferns but they've disappeared over the years. I use to have some 2 inch flower pots w/cold cast resin flowers on either side of the door to the gnome house but the STINKIN' SQUIRRELS finaly destoryed them.

I've tried Irish and scotch moss and even native mosses moved from other parts of the yard but they just don't take.
bugme
Barnesville, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2009
5:13 PM

Post #6173782

bigred, I've been following your thread about those pesky squirrels. A really nice ground cover for shady areas is sweet woodruff, here is a link to it in plant files http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55/
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2009
12:33 PM

Post #6177321

I can't keep that one alive either for some reason.

Janit
Seattle, WA

March 17, 2009
12:50 AM

Post #6277839

Hi Bigred,

Have you tried Lamium? It's a bit invasive but it sounds like your conditions are pretty harsh so it would, in theory, slow it down. You may have to water it on a regular basis this summer to get it established, but it's awfully pretty with its variegated leaves - especially in the shade.

Some are evergreen, the one I have is deciduous. The flowers on mine are light pink (I think ;-) or almost white. Zone 5-ish too. It's a bit big for my miniature gardens but I think it would work well for a gnome garden.

There is also small-leaf ivy (Hedera ~ the non-invasive kind!) and Vinca too - purple flowers in the summer, get the low-growing kind... not too sure what trees would work in that dry soil - I know my trees would like damp soil at the very least - but I'll keep my eye out!

http://www.Perennials.com has a great advanced search and you can really pinpoint what you're looking for.

Hope this helps!
Janit

This message was edited Mar 27, 2009 5:08 PM
Moby
Lincoln, NE
(Zone 5b)

March 19, 2009
12:10 PM

Post #6289038

Have you considered Ajuga? They're all ground-hugging, and the 'Chip' series is especially small. Take a look at this site and click through the "next plant" to see several http://www.gardencrossings.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=plants.plantDetail&plant_id=1433
bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2009
5:23 PM

Post #6290230

I have Chocolate Chip ajuga planted in the rock edging,some tiny hostas I grew from seed from Tiny Tears but everything else I planted disappeared.
Sallysblooms
South, TX

March 21, 2009
11:07 PM

Post #6300914

Stone crop is super nice.

Thumbnail by Sallysblooms
Click the image for an enlarged view.

bigred
Ashdown, AR
(Zone 8a)

March 22, 2009
10:25 AM

Post #6302607

I just bought some sedum Ogon for my rock garden. IThink I'll try a sprig for the gnome garden and see how it does in that much shade.

love your dish garden
Sallysblooms
South, TX

March 22, 2009
8:21 PM

Post #6304575

Thank you.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tiny Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Miniature gardens delphiniumdiva 73 Jul 1, 2008 5:30 PM
Miniature Garden BassetMom 43 Jul 4, 2008 11:48 AM
Garden gnomes in their natural habitat. Pixydish 236 Mar 17, 2009 7:46 PM
Miniature Garden Marcy_1 37 Mar 21, 2010 7:42 PM
Faries Anyone AFDolly 22 Jul 25, 2007 2:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America