Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
frogandtoad
Delaware, OH

February 21, 2009
6:33 PM

Post #6170068

I am hoping someone in the forum has had more experience than I with frogs. My farm pond has many frogs of different types. Now I am finding many frozen just at or below the water surface at the edge of the pond. I am afraid that they are dead rather than just in hibernation. Can anyone tell me why they were not able to adapt in recent weeks?
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 21, 2009
7:59 PM

Post #6170378

Froggie... Is your pond frozen over completely?? I am talking a crust of ice that has been there for most or all of the winter?? How big is your pond??
I cannot answer your question properly without knowing this...
frogandtoad
Delaware, OH

February 22, 2009
2:53 AM

Post #6171848

The pond is about a quarter acre. It had thick ice for months, but it was completely thawed for several days until it refroze last night...
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2009
2:03 PM

Post #6173008

Well, my pond has a stock tank heater that floats on top of the water to keep a hole open for the gases to escape...It is nowhere near the size of yours, I wish it was...
I found 1 dead frog back in January that got trapped in the skimmer basket...I think with all of this freeze and thaw, everything including the plants are confused this year...You may well have lost quite a few...
If you have any way to do it, I suggest to put a heater in it, and they are available at Tractor Supply for about $35...As long as you have a hole for the noxious gases to escape, thats fine...the rest can remain frozen over...
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 23, 2009
2:29 AM

Post #6176281

I have found the local County Soil and Water conservation office to be of great help with my pond issues. They should be in your phone book, under government offices, county, Soil and Water Conservation. They know all about flora and fauna in farm ponds. They should be able to help with a pond that size. If not them, try the your local county extension agent.

If the pond is deep enough, I don't think you have to heat it or have an open hole. Mine freezes solid over the top for weeks, even months at a time. I think it's been frozen since November this year. But, if it's not deep enough, you can have problems.

I am in Licking County - but I know Delaware has a Soil Water office cause I used to work with someone who's father worked there...

Good luck...

frogandtoad
Delaware, OH

March 25, 2009
8:28 PM

Post #6318761

Most of the large frogs were, in fact, dead. But, I still have a handful of living frogs as well as many tadpoles and eggs. The Soil and Water experts told me that the weather extremes can cause this and that the population will rebound.
frogandtoad
Delaware, OH

March 25, 2009
8:28 PM

Post #6318763

Most of the large frogs were, in fact, dead. But, I still have a handful of living frogs as well as many tadpoles and eggs. The Soil and Water experts told me that the weather extremes can cause this and that the population will rebound.
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2009
9:58 PM

Post #6319259

Glad to know everything should be ok. Soil and Water have been very helpful with my farm type pond.

Dusty - I didn't mean to sound like I was in total diagreement with you! I have zero experiance with backyard decorative ponds that need heating. When frogandtoad mentioned how large the pond was, I "assumed" it was more of a standard or farm type pond.

Here in Licking Co. I am told you want you pond a minimum of 8 feet but 10 or 12 feet deep is much better to allow for silt fill in through the years. Except for the small, 15 foot wide deep hole in mine, it was down to about 3-4 feet deep before I had it drained and redug 3 years ago. When we had that dry summer it all but dried up, except the deep hole, and must have been overcrowded with fish. The fish died, but frogs and turtles werel ok. Now, some parts are probably 15-18 feet deep. Most of it is at least 10 so it should be good for my lifetime.

Now if I could afford to have it restocked...

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2009
10:14 PM

Post #6319334

Nooo Juli ... I understand completely...This one is about 3500 gallons by the measurements...nothing like you and Frog have...and you all don't have Koi in yours...I do, until Cookie takes them...These buggers are a whole different ball game...
I wish I was still trucking...When I pulled for Indian River out of FL, Miz Maggie often had me pull tankers of live fish to be delivered...I could have brought you a BUNCH of fish!!

Sorry Frog...Didn't mean to hijack your thread...I did find only 2 frogs dead, both caught in the skimmer basket, and frozen...I have already seen a couple others jumping into the pond from what is left of the rocks I have had to pull to find leaks, so I am hoping for a goodly supply this year...

This message was edited Mar 28, 2009 3:23 PM

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 28, 2009
6:57 PM

Post #6332087

This message was edited Mar 28, 2009 3:30 PM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Ohio River Valley Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hummingbird and Butterfly Garden Plant Lists with Invasives? tabasco 80 Aug 1, 2011 6:49 AM
Let's go gardening! Terry 1 Jul 9, 2008 12:16 AM
Adams County Amish Bird Symposium: March 3, 2007 tabasco 6 Sep 7, 2008 10:34 PM
Cincinnati Flower Show 2007 "Play in the Dirt" tabasco 18 Apr 21, 2007 7:48 AM
ORV Spring Plant Swap/Potluck Questions Illoquin 154 Mar 12, 2007 9:21 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America