frogs frozen in pond

Delaware, OH

I live in Ohio and we have had a cold winter. A couple of days ago I saw that a number of frogs were immobile at the edge of the pond, just at the water surface. On that day the pond had thawed, but it was just above freezing, so I assumed they were still in hibernation. Now the pond is icy again and they are still there. Because they are so exposed rather than under leaves, I fear that they are dead. I don't know why they wouldn't have adapted to the temperature changes as in other years.

Have any of you had a similar experience? It's very upsetting!

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

I suspect this happens every year and this is the year you got to see it. More like... where's the critters that eat dead frogs? There are plenty of frogs burrowed down and safe from temp extremes, so the usual spring chorus will happen.

The so-called cycle of life is just chock full of death... you oughta see a winter kill of deer sometime.

Jay

Delaware, OH

Jay, thank you so much for that comment. I needed an experienced perspective!

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Yeah, Disney didn't write the script and it's a bit of a shock if you've never seen much of 'nature, red in tooth and claw'.

Mother Nature is not a nice person. She has no sympathy for the weak, the lame, the sick, the old.

I remember in college reading an article that argued quite convincingly that hunters should shoot the fawns if hunting was supposed to be replicating Mother Nature, 'cause that's who dies the most in an untouched environment... the cute little babies. Mountain lions don't think cute, they think... dinner.

We all return to the earth... that's really the beauty of it.
Blessings,
Jay

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images