Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

BirdFiles Pictures: Downy Woodpecker (Picoides pubescens)

Communities > Forums > BirdFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: BirdFiles PicturesReplies: 5, Views: 32
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
WaterCan2
Eastern Long Island, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2009
7:12 PM

Post #6170202

Downy Woodpecker (Picoides pubescens)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/birdfiles/go/13/

Thumbnail by WaterCan2
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pelletory
Marlton, NJ

February 21, 2009
8:41 PM

Post #6170526

WC, This is actually a Hairy Woodpecker. See the pure white outer tail feathers? The Downy has black spots on theirs. Resin can fix it for you. :-)
WaterCan2
Eastern Long Island, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2009
8:57 PM

Post #6170569

Cool! I always wanted to see a Hairy Woodpecker! Just didn't know it was in my backyard all this time! LOL!, I'll D-Mail Resin - Thanks! ☺

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

February 21, 2009
11:40 PM

Post #6171082

Sorry to deprive you of a new bird, but I reckon you were right first time with this, it is a Downy structurally, it is a small bird with a dainty little bill (Dainty Downy!), whereas Hairy has a hefty bill (Hefty Hairy!)*. The outer tail feathers are often a good sign, but not it seems invariable; according to Sibley, "Downy usually has dark bars on outer tail feathers, but these are sometimes lacking" (my italics). Sibley also cites the conspicuous tuft of bristles above the base of the bill as a Downy character, and yours has it.

* Compare e.g. Nanny's pic of a Hairy: http://davesgarden.com/guides/birdfiles/showimage/1927/

Resin
pelletory
Marlton, NJ

February 21, 2009
11:47 PM

Post #6171110

Oh darn, I'm sorry WC!

Never heard mention of that before Resin. (variable)

This message was edited Feb 21, 2009 6:47 PM
WaterCan2
Eastern Long Island, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2009
2:25 AM

Post #6171736

Shucks, I was right! (who was it that said "in ignorance there is bliss") Oh well, not to worry Pelle, at least I had a 'new bird' for awhile! ☺

Thanks Resin, that's what I use... Sibley's. Still hard to tell those two apart, (the Hairy & the Downy), I think the Hairy is a bit larger as an adult... when I see a big Downy then I'll narrow him down to a Hairy!
☺!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other BirdFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great Horned Owl (Bubo virginianus) dave 4 Nov 10, 2010 7:18 PM
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis c. cardinalis) EricBrian 1 Sep 2, 2011 6:30 AM
Red-bellied woodpecker (Melanerpes m. carolinus) EricBrian 0 Dec 26, 2008 12:21 AM
Carolina Wren (Thryothorus ludovicianus) DebinSC 0 Dec 26, 2008 12:28 AM
Carolina Wren (Thryothorus ludovicianus) DebinSC 1 Dec 26, 2008 12:33 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America