Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Seed Germination: Germinating Aristolochias (Dutchman's Pipevine) seeds

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 3, Views: 58
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LindaTX8
NE Medina Co., TX
(Zone 8a)

February 21, 2009
8:05 PM

Post #6170399

I've had difficulty with aristolochias seeds before...does anyone have tips? I've got A. fimbriata, A. clematitis and A. ringens seeds. And a few A. erecta seeds from a plant that finally had a pod last year. Any help would be appreciated!

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 22, 2009
12:27 PM

Post #6172793

Linda,
From what I've been able to gather as I'm also trying to germinate a few of these. A. trilobata from my journal.
http://davesgarden.com/tools/journal/viewentry.php?rid=234096

advice I received was varied but soak seeds for 48 hours, bottom heat of 70 degrees, and germination will be sporadic. I used seed starting mixture but this next go round I'm going to use vermiculite.

I have seeds for A. gibertii and A. fimriata also but have not started them yet.
Passionflower seeds have also been a bit difficult for me also. ~:
LouisanaMark has been successful w/ these types of seeds so and he had a lot of good suggestions on the Passi forum and the vines forum.

I know there was info in the Vines forum check there also.
mj

This message was edited Feb 23, 2009 3:56 PM
LindaTX8
NE Medina Co., TX
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2009
8:49 PM

Post #6179494

Thanks, mj. I tried searching for info on DG, but the search engine doesn't work the way it used to.
geraldine87
West Warren, MA

February 23, 2009
8:56 PM

Post #6179524

Good luck with your seed...when I lived in Fl. I had a Dutchman's pipe vine...the butterflies loved it!!
And the flower was a real show stopper...it is a very aggressive vine in Fl..would like one up here but will buy a plant already in pot...MA zone 5 too cold for it so would take too long to grow..

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America