Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Germinating Aristolochias (Dutchman's Pipevine) seeds

NE Medina Co., TX(Zone 8a)

I've had difficulty with aristolochias seeds before...does anyone have tips? I've got A. fimbriata, A. clematitis and A. ringens seeds. And a few A. erecta seeds from a plant that finally had a pod last year. Any help would be appreciated!

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Linda,
From what I've been able to gather as I'm also trying to germinate a few of these. A. trilobata from my journal.
http://davesgarden.com/tools/journal/viewentry.php?rid=234096

advice I received was varied but soak seeds for 48 hours, bottom heat of 70 degrees, and germination will be sporadic. I used seed starting mixture but this next go round I'm going to use vermiculite.

I have seeds for A. gibertii and A. fimriata also but have not started them yet.
Passionflower seeds have also been a bit difficult for me also. ~:
LouisanaMark has been successful w/ these types of seeds so and he had a lot of good suggestions on the Passi forum and the vines forum.

I know there was info in the Vines forum check there also.
mj

This message was edited Feb 23, 2009 3:56 PM

NE Medina Co., TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks, mj. I tried searching for info on DG, but the search engine doesn't work the way it used to.

West Warren, MA

Good luck with your seed...when I lived in Fl. I had a Dutchman's pipe vine....the butterflies loved it!!
And the flower was a real show stopper...it is a very aggressive vine in Fl..would like one up here but will buy a plant already in pot...MA zone 5 too cold for it so would take too long to grow..

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.