-
AuthorContent
grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 22, 2009
6:48 AM

Post #6172489

I'd like to be able to save seeds from some of my veggies this year, plus agree with philosophical reasons to plant heirlooms and open pollinated varieties. They will be planted in various size tubs and pots b/c we only have a postage stamp to grow on, and most of it's in the shade. Except the little bit in the front but the HOA may not like that much, and I'd rather not have my hard work yanked out by the "landscapers" (flattering them to use that word, but that's another story). We're saving the postage stamp for native wildflowers and shrubs.
Anyhoo, this is what I plan on for this year:
Lettuce (like a small head or romaine-the crunchier the better)
Shallots (maybe)
Tomatoes (i like them really tomatoey if that makes sense)-maybe 1 early and 1 late, I have Carolyn's book and was thinking of Stupice for early, but can't really make up my mind. They all sound so good.

Cauliflower
Cucumbers
Eggplant
Pepino- i think there's only one species

Considerations: Everything will be started inside, except maybe the shallots, and have grown lots of veggies before, in the ground (wish i had my Mom's garden again) and in pots. Since I'm the only omnivore in the house ::rolls eyes:: , yield isn't important. I understand I will have to bag blossoms to get good seed from the maters, and I doubt I'll save seed from the lettuce or cauliflower. Will I have to bag the eggplant and pepino blossoms for seeds, or do different Solanum species even cross pollinate?

Sorry for running on, trying to anticipate questions ahead of time

Sandy
who shares the house with 3 Mustela putorius furo , 2 Felis catus ,
and 1 Homo sapiens ssp curmudgeon var. i-dont-eat-that

gallesfarm
Tamworth, NH
(Zone 4b)

March 5, 2009
11:43 PM

Post #6226681

Ferrets! We have 1 now, but I've had as many as 6 at one time. In total, I've had 10 ferrets over 14 years. But back to veggies...

I don't have answers to your questions, but will be interested in the answers!

Do the "landscapers" really yank things out that the HOA disapproves of? How obnoxious.

grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2009
12:12 AM

Post #6226787

The "landscapers' yank things out that *they* think should be yanked out. The HOA is still being run by a management company b/c they haven't sold all the units yet so they aren't really paying attention unless someone complains. Or the idiots yank something out and I complain about that!
There were some answers to my question here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/955840/
I'm still trying to decide on tomatoes so I'll probably post in the tomato forum at some point

We've had lots of ferrets over the years, I think the most at one time was 5. Here's a pic of 2 of our current crew...

Sandy

Thumbnail by grrrlgeek
Click the image for an enlarged view.

DBower
Vancouver, WA

March 6, 2009
6:08 AM

Post #6228110

I don't know if the eggplants & pepino's cross pollenate...it has never been an issue for me since my luck with eggplants has been terrible (I'll blame the slugs...)
The Pepino is a lovely plant and has always worked well for me in a hanging container in part/full sun. The blossoms and foliage are remarkable and make this one of my favorite plants. The first year I grew this plant I was able to get 3 decently sized fruits off of it. they tasted fairly good although I prefered them chilled. Last year I grew seeds from a different vendor and the plant turned out lovely but the fruit tasted like soap :(

I am not sure if some strains are better than others of if somehow some cross pollination occurred...but I am hoping perhaps it was a fluke.This year I am excited to see how things turn out.

Just wanted to say good luck! Oh an gerkins are great small little cucumber plants ;)
gallesfarm
Tamworth, NH
(Zone 4b)

March 6, 2009
12:51 PM

Post #6228512

Love the cute little faces! Our guy is old now, and so far (touch wood) has not developed the common problems of either insulinoma or adrenal disease.

What is a pepino? Sounds like it should be edible, but...?
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 6, 2009
3:18 PM

Post #6229088

I've grown Stupice and they're OK for flavor, but last year we tried Glacier and are now converts. YUM! And early, very early. I like a tomatoey tomato, too. =0)
grrrlgeek
Grayslake, IL
(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2009
7:55 PM

Post #6230243

gallesfarm, pepino is in the same family as tomatoes and eggplant and is supposed to have a melon-like taste. Look to me like little green striped eggplant. Will see about the taste.
We have a little old lady fert with both adrenal and insulinoma problems, but she doesn't seem to realize she's sick. She gets a shot once a month for the adrenal and has grown all her hair back, the first adreanl one we've seen do that. They are special little creatures.

I've had good luck before with eggplant in pots (the ever present and always popular Black Beauty). Maybe I'll grow the Pepino on the back deck and the eggplant on the front balcony-or maybe grow them together and see what I get? A big purple thing that tastes like a melon?

Hmm, adding Glacier to the possible list. Sounds yummy!

It's 60 degrees today! Almost makes me forget that we have 2 more months 'til last frost...

Thumbnail by grrrlgeek
Click the image for an enlarged view.

texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 10, 2009
12:35 PM

Post #6246359

Ferrets, can they be house broken? Do they make good outdoor pets, say, like cats?
gallesfarm
Tamworth, NH
(Zone 4b)

March 10, 2009
4:52 PM

Post #6247391

Some ferrets can be trained to use a litterbox 100% of the time. None of mine have ever been 100% outside the cage. Often they will back up right next to the litterbox rather than go into it. When they are in their cage they have usually been 100% unless they were sick, or had gotten very old and "senile".

They should not be treated like cats however in terms of being allowed to go out. Domesticated ferrets have very little in terms of survival skills. They don't "go feral" like cats can, and they usually have imprinted on whatever food they have eaten since early in their lives, so some will not even recognize a *different brand* of kibble as food. I have not found this to be a big problem with mine but I have always served a mix of different kitten or ferret foods (they should not be fed adult cat food or dog food) so they learn to eat different brands. I have had a few ferrets that would try anything however, include tortilla chips, corn muffins, pasta, cheerios, and pre-killed mice. Some people feed a whole prey diet exclusively and forego feeding kibble.

The other problem with allowing them outside is that they get lost very easily. And they have little defense against dogs or other predators. In the UK, ferrets are often kept in outdoor hutches like rabbits, and in fact are used for rabbit hunting (they send them down the rabbit holes to chase the rabbits out which are then caught in a net), but in the US, they are only kept as pets, and are kept indoors almost exclusively.

D-mail me if you want more info, as this is getting rather long. :-)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Heirloom Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fermentation Brook 56 Oct 13, 2008 10:56 PM
Carolyn, Tell Us Please..... Brook 22 May 19, 2014 7:30 PM
Antique Ornamentals anyone? planman38104 55 Feb 24, 2009 6:05 PM
Does anyone grow Crinums? planman38104 18 May 28, 2008 11:44 PM
Your absolute favorite heirloom tomato Phred 321 Jul 30, 2011 7:54 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America