Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Vegetables: whats the best tomato ever?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 9, Views: 185
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
redring
South Bend, IN

February 22, 2009
10:57 PM

Post #6175210

I want somthing good for salsa and eating off the vine. I will not be planting a lot of tomatos this year and would like to get a verry tasty one. So I thought maybe asking here would be a good idea. Whats your faverite you have planted?

synda

synda
Carrollton, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 22, 2009
11:02 PM

Post #6175240

This site may be of some help. http://www.tomatofest.com/heirloom_tomato_seed_home.html

Gives descriptions and what they are used for.

Good Luck.
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 23, 2009
1:42 AM

Post #6176104

The last few years I've really gotten into growing heirloom (open-pollinated) tomatoes. Each year I've grown 20+ plants and 20+ varieties, and heirlooms often have great flavor along with widely-varied and interesting characteristics.

Having done that, I'm backing off a little this year. I'll still grow some favorite heirlooms, but at least half my plants will be Big Beef. That's a modern hybrid that has great flavor, along with heavy production throughout the season, large size, and lots of disease resistance. I'll be able to cut back on the total number of tomato plants I grow too, because Big Beef is so productive.

For a good, big, general use tomato, fresh eating, salsa, and lots of production from just a few plants - Big Beef is my recommendation, though there are other varieties that would also be good for what you want.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 23, 2009
3:27 AM

Post #6176503

I agree with Ozark about Big Beef but almost everyone has a different opinion on the best tomato and there are many to choose from. My very favorite tomato has always been Arkansas Traveler. But it does'nt do as well in other grow zones.
I like the heirlooms for taste but not always for abundance of fruit.
feldon30
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 23, 2009
4:03 PM

Post #6178157

Seems to have some different questions here.

For a tomato that is decent and good for salsa, you want something productive and there are many choices.

For the "best tomato ever", as in fresh-eating sliced or in a salad or sandwich, you might want to check out the marathon "Your absolute favorite heirloom tomato" thread in Heirloom Forum here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/370312/
redring
South Bend, IN

February 24, 2009
4:49 AM

Post #6181589

:( not a full member yet so i cant see the tread. Thanks for the answers. :)
Stephen_Albert
Kenwood, CA

February 25, 2009
7:10 PM

Post #6189108

Green Grape is a very tasty snacking tomato--off the vine. It's small and full of sweet-tart tomato taste.

Celebrity is a slicing tomato that is easy to grow and will give you a nice slicing fruit also full of tomato flavor.
TMaple
Saint Paul, MN

February 26, 2009
1:29 PM

Post #6192386

The best tomato ever is the one you can get to produce a lot and get through the season without deisease or bugs getting it :-) I think Sungolds are very hard to beat (for eating off the vine, wouldn't make salsa out of them) when talking just plain flavor. Garden Candy would have been a better name for them than Sungold.
sawpalm
Winston Salem, NC

March 11, 2009
1:19 AM

Post #6249577

Does anyone have suggestions for good determinate tomato,please.
feldon30
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 11, 2009
1:45 AM

Post #6249732

I haven't found any that I particularly like the taste of.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America