Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Voting Booth: What size is the property that you garden on??

Communities > Forums > Voting Booth
bookmark
Forum: Voting BoothReplies: 246, Views: 3,785
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dave

February 23, 2009
9:49 AM

Post #6177157

There are a total of 588 votes:

I have a small city or suburban lot.
(247 votes, 42%)
Red dot

I have a lot between one and five acres.
(177 votes, 30%)
Red dot

I have five acres or more.
(51 votes, 8%)
Red dot

I have more than ten acres.
(58 votes, 9%)
Red dot

My 'land' is my balcony/courtyard.
(17 votes, 2%)
Red dot

My property is not big enough for my gardens!
(38 votes, 6%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 23, 2009
11:29 AM

Post #6177230

I have a 1/3 of an acre. WAAAAYY too small for all my plants, but I make do...
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 23, 2009
12:01 PM

Post #6177262

I have 15' x 25', just half a duplex, good thing I garden for a living...

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 23, 2009
12:15 PM

Post #6177287

Actually own 11½ acres, but about 5 acres are used for garden. I don't count the various beds around the house. Trying to make a little profit off the 5 acres.
Bernie

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

February 23, 2009
12:40 PM

Post #6177337

This is the only category that fit, but we have a large yard, not an acre, but probably close to half. DH wants grass, grass, grass, and I want flowers, flowers, flowers!

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 23, 2009
12:49 PM

Post #6177364

We have 1/2 an acre I'm working in getting rid if all LAWN.
jeffinsgf
Brighton, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 23, 2009
1:30 PM

Post #6177518

Ten acres. 4 in wildflowers, 1 in house, outbuildings, yard and garden, 5 in woods.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2009
1:36 PM

Post #6177537

I have about 1/3 acre but still in suburb, like the convience of stores nearby. This is a 2007 pic, things have changed considerably but it shows the yard size better.

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW

AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2009
1:54 PM

Post #6177606

I have a 50' x 100' lot with a small house and oversized garage on it. That doesn't stop me though - the neighbors are elderly and they don't pay a lot of attention to what is growing in their yard. LOL! Should be a lot of surprise! tulips in the neighborhood this spring.
seemama
Kissimmee, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 23, 2009
2:14 PM

Post #6177690

I have a typical garden for this area, but it's much bigger than I have been used to in UK, still getting used to the tropicals. Yankee cat - it's a nice place for my Na Na girls to roam!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2009
2:14 PM

Post #6177691

15 acres and mostly wooded. I only "garden" in the fenced in acre due to wildlife but they are encouraged on the outside acreage with plants for them.

pixie62560

pixie62560
South China, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 23, 2009
2:19 PM

Post #6177712

I have a 14 -15 acre field and then 2.5 acres that we use for the house and gardening.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

February 23, 2009
2:58 PM

Post #6177863

I voted suburban yard, much to my dismay, but fortunately we found one that is 9,000 square feet which is bigger than most cookie cutter yards surrounding our neighborhood. And I found a Houston yard without the tall pines which would make gardening more difficult :). None of the neighbors have trees overhanging my yard so there again---I work with what I have---picking a home and yard that had the best lot I could afford in the city. :) Until I can vote that we own more then 10 acres. DH thinks he'd like up to 40 but not exceeding. We've lived in the country and in major cities and much prefer the solice and peace and quiet of the country. I don't need the stores.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

February 23, 2009
2:58 PM

Post #6177865

Sheila---gorgeous yard you have!
saanansandy
Sue, RI
(Zone 6a)

February 23, 2009
3:12 PM

Post #6177910

We have 56 acreas which has beenhanded down for 3 generations and hoping to keep the fourth generation interested. About 15 being used for pasture and hay lots. About 2 being used for gardens and yard(would love to just have gardens for the yard!). The rest is wooded and there are blueberries scattered in a 3 acre area.
valrita

February 23, 2009
3:54 PM

Post #6178115

I have a city lot that is only one-fifth of an acre. Once you subtract for the house and detached garage, that doesn't leave much left. There isn't much grass left and my goal is to have none.

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 23, 2009
4:14 PM

Post #6178217

I have right at an acre with about 1/3 of that in woodlands that I'm determined to make into a woodland/native garden too!

Doug
WaterCan2
Eastern Long Island, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2009
4:17 PM

Post #6178236

About 1/2 an acre of property on Long Island, which I, (not the bank), own. I'm constantly reminded by my out of state friends that for the price I paid for my property I could have 4 - 5x the amount of land in another state. However I in turn remind them that land in NY with the flexibility of a commute to NYC is very expensive and the land itself is an investment which is constantly increasing in value.

It's more than sufficient for my gardening needs and I would not want more, since more property here would mean higher property taxes and maintenance which could possibly become a burden in ones' retirement years. I know several of several professionals with a few acres and big bucks which have opted to sell their home and move to condos for just that reason.

'A nice thick steak may be great when you are young, but hard to digest when you get older.'

(Edit: ie an acre of land where I live with a 'modest' home would easily pass $1 million in purchase price at todays prices.)

This message was edited Feb 23, 2009 11:35 AM
revclaus
(Judith) Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

February 23, 2009
4:33 PM

Post #6178317

This is the most fascinating poll I've read! I wish everybody would post pictures of their yard/property/balcony.

I live on the 6th floor of a 7-floor apartment building which overlooks townhouses across the street and wetlands next to and behind them. I can see forever, including the front range of the Rocky Mountains. My balcony is about 26' long by 5' deep (not deep enough for me). I grow annuals, perennials and vines, and can't wait for SPRING!

Thumbnail by revclaus

revclaus
(Judith) Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

February 23, 2009
4:36 PM

Post #6178327

The other end of the balcony.

Thumbnail by revclaus

randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

February 23, 2009
4:43 PM

Post #6178356

I have a little over 1- 1/2 acre with somewhere around 1/3 of it is veggie garden. Then some for young fruit trees, apple, cherry,apricot,
choke cherry. There is a large mulberry that I should use some of that fruit for a fruit juice or jelly but the birds use most of for making multi colored
spots on the car. Have a couple large walnut trees, that keep the squirrels occupied and I get all I need for banana nut breads and cakes too. Have to keep some in lawn, so I can have a shady area for the picnic table and great grand kids to play. Just about right to keep me busy and leave time to go fishing too.
dmdula
Morganton, NC

February 23, 2009
4:59 PM

Post #6178446

I just moved into an apt after having about 1/2 an acre. It's a big change cause I have NO yard now. But that wont stop me! I plan to grow as much in pots as possible!!!
dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2009
5:04 PM

Post #6178473

I have about 1/4 acre in the middle of Albuquerque. I chose a place in an older subdivision in part because the yards were larger. The previous owners mostly un-landscaped the yard, which means I get to do it up the way I want.
laurawege
Wayland, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 23, 2009
5:06 PM

Post #6178481

our lort is about 1/2 an acre . It is typical for my area and I have managed to garden quite a bit of it . I don't have the best place for vegtables ( I ussually plant 6-8 tomato plants and a few squash ) but this year with the economy being so bad I am going to make a bigger area for vegtables . my side yard in the spring gets plenty of sun but as the season progresses it gets more and more shade I may have to plant a mobile garden so I can move it where the sun is !

Thumbnail by laurawege

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

February 23, 2009
5:08 PM

Post #6178487

We have about 20 acres and they are getting to be too much for us. Maybe now that DH is completely retired we will be able to care for our acreage a bit better. We just want to go away and play more that we should.
dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2009
5:13 PM

Post #6178521

I think the "My property is not big enough for my gardens" applys to most of us. Its pretty much redundant for a gardener with a balcony, courtyard, or city lot.
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

February 23, 2009
5:18 PM

Post #6178547

rev----NICE balcony plantings! you put me with a yard to shame!
phoenixryan
Mesa, AZ

February 23, 2009
5:18 PM

Post #6178550

You all have such beautiful yards! Its a pleasure to peek into everyone's gardens.

Thumbnail by phoenixryan

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2009
5:33 PM

Post #6178623

Including yours, Phoenixryan. Very nice.

I have 1/5 of an acre, Average for my area. Not nearly enough gardens. Like a lot of you, my DH likes grass. BUT...as he ages, he's finding the upkeep is easier with foliage plants instead of grass!!! LOL

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 23, 2009
5:38 PM

Post #6178652

I have an average city lot 75 feet by 125 feet. Unfortunately - much of this space is used for the driveway and the house, and what remains is mostly in shade.

What I really, really wish is that I had enough land to have a huge nursery garden. You know, like a veggie garden, only with rows of baby plants. I just like starting them - but then, so many plants won't be fully developed for three years. What do you do with them in the meantime?

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

February 23, 2009
6:30 PM

Post #6178893

I have a trailer, and the court is an older one with mature trees (40 yrs old).
For the 1st time I have an enclosed deck (19x16 ft), and I love, love, love it! I hang baskets from the fencing, and also from hooks on the walls :-)
Although I used to have a ground level yard, this is much nicer. I have a greenhouse on it, and I love to sit out on my deck on sunny days. (doesn't hurt that I have a hot tub on the property - I don't grow anything around it, but it's part of my yard!)

I have one "unfortunate" part of the yard that nothing seems to grow in, partly because my DH stores his "stuff" there!

Cheers, everyone!!
I love hearing from everyone & your ever-so-many types of gardens :-)
woofie
Chewelah, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 23, 2009
6:43 PM

Post #6178957

We have 20 acres, but I don't get to use much of it. My DH hogs up most of the land for growing alfalfa and providing grazing for his goats, who try to eat everything I try to grow. I've staked out about a 16 foot perimeter around the dog kennel (it's 30ft x 50ft, so that's a fair amount of space) for a container garden, but keeping the goats away on one side and the dog from shredding stuff through the fence on her side is a challenge! This is an aerial photo taken in the dead of summer, so it's not very green, and before we put in the garden. If you look closely, you might be able to make out the little cluster of goats below the red barn. :-)

Thumbnail by woofie

Kylaluaz

Kylaluaz
Richmond, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2009
6:57 PM

Post #6179016

revclaus thank you, your photos and post are very inspiring for me.

I have to say once again, I am none of the above. I have a deck/balcony a bit wider than revclaus's, and also a patch of previously uncultivated land I am working into a bed that measures roughly 25X11 feet. There is a similar strip adjacent to it that I have strewn wildflower and red clover seeds in in hopes it will soften it up a bit for future expansion. The other folks that live on this property (I am in an upstairs garage apartment) have the yard pretty much in their care. But I have my hands full, getting started here!

Sorry not to have pix, no camera. I am enjoying learning the garden info about people whose names I recognized here and there. ;-)

Kyla

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 23, 2009
7:55 PM

Post #6179289

This was my project last summer. I can't wait for it to get warm again and see how well the grasses do this year.

Doug

Thumbnail by postmandug

SoCal
Huntington Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

February 23, 2009
8:09 PM

Post #6179340

I live in the suburbs of Orange County and our lots for gardening are pretty small. If you can believe it, they are building the newer homes with less garden areas than I have at this time.

Here are 2 pics taken from each end of my back gardens.
Donna

Thumbnail by SoCal

SoCal
Huntington Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

February 23, 2009
8:11 PM

Post #6179346

This is looking from the oppisite end.

Thumbnail by SoCal

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2009
9:06 PM

Post #6179554

I voted suburban but it is almost an acre.
Would like to get rid of most of the grass.

Thumbnail by flowAjen

gardener105
Bend, OR
(Zone 5a)

February 23, 2009
9:08 PM

Post #6179559

We have 8 acres, 4.5 in cattle pasture, 2 in hayfield, the rest in house, outbuildings, pond and garden. The hayfield, barn and hay barn. The house is on the other side of the hay barn, that's our neighbor's house across the road. That was the 3rd and last cutting of the season last Sept.
Susan105

Thumbnail by gardener105

HollyRye
Winter Park, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 23, 2009
9:10 PM

Post #6179566

I have a pie-shaped lot on a cul-de-sac. Fortunately the larger share is in the back yard. We have been renting this 40 year old home for 18 months ~ it has obviously been a long time since a gardener lived here. I put my initial efforts into nurturing the existing plants. What an improvement already. Too bad the record breaking cold did a temporary number of the avocado and mango trees that were starting to bloom.
Now I'm rolling up my sleeves. Last week my husband and I hacked away the crazy Lantana that was good for hiding the neighbor's chainlink fence but not much else. Hitting up Lowes for 50% off "distressed" plants has armed me to the hilt with lots of shrubs, perennials, and even an annual or two (I picked up a 4' Hibiscus tree for $2.98!). Next week we go to war with shovels and bags of soil ammendments in hand. Wish us luck!

Thumbnail by HollyRye

gardener105
Bend, OR
(Zone 5a)

February 23, 2009
9:12 PM

Post #6179577

Gorgeous Hibiscus Holly! Good Luck!!!
phoenixryan
Mesa, AZ

February 23, 2009
9:23 PM

Post #6179626

SoCal, your garden is FANTASTIC! btw, I used to work in Huntington Beach.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2009
10:03 PM

Post #6179809

Wow SoCal, way to pack them in!!!
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

February 23, 2009
10:18 PM

Post #6179882

Sheila: Love that flower bed shaped like your state!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2009
10:20 PM

Post #6179893

Sheila-nice yard...did you take that pic from your roof????
revclaus
(Judith) Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

February 23, 2009
10:40 PM

Post #6179988

Kyla, thanks! Good luck with your efforts. You've got a balcony AND land. I'm envious.

SoCal, gorgeous garden!

flowerjen, I used to live in Jersey (Cranbury). It's a sin to have that much grass in a place where everything grows so well!!

Hollyrye, that's a good way to add plants during this recession. I'm trying to conserve money, but not having a lot of luck. Thank you for trying to revive a rental yard.
redchic01
southern willamette , OR
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2009
10:41 PM

Post #6179996

I garden on an acre. However I don't own the land. Strange scenario. Their land, mostly my garden.

I agree Rev... the grass is just too much!

This message was edited Feb 23, 2009 2:41 PM

Kylaluaz

Kylaluaz
Richmond, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2009
10:43 PM

Post #6180017

Rev, thank you! I was just reading a discussion you were having about potting mixes... quite helpful.

redchic01, sounds nice, actually... I have never owned the land where I garden. Would be mighty nice. I think.
redchic01
southern willamette , OR
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2009
10:48 PM

Post #6180043

I agree... I think that it would be nice. Maybe some day we'll have our own!!

Kylaluaz

Kylaluaz
Richmond, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2009
10:54 PM

Post #6180076

Here's to that day!
CapeCodGardener
Mid-Cape, MA
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2009
10:56 PM

Post #6180087

Fascinating thread. . .
. . . we live on a "builder's acre," which means that it can include steep woodland areas (which ours does) and still count. I probably have 1/2 acre of mixed lawn and garden beds. . . working on getting rid of the lawn ("no, Honey, the beds haven't expanded. . . must be your imagination!") ;-)
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 23, 2009
10:57 PM

Post #6180095

I have 1/3 acre including the house driveways and out buildings.
A 20x26 veg garden, set out 60 tomatoes last spring, started them in the 6x8 greenhouse. This fall I enlarged the GH 16 more feet and was able to put the rabbits inside so their water didn't freeze. They are out side now in the red shed to the left.
Moved from south Florida 3 years ago, I love it, my DW would rather be in Florida. Love everyone pictures.

Thumbnail by rentman

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 23, 2009
11:00 PM

Post #6180118

I checked 1-5 acres but in reality our property is 19 acres. Most of it is steep and useless except for a woodlot. Even that presents problems due to the inability to get any equipment in... sure wish I had a mule (and knew how to use it).

For garden area, I really don't have any more useable space than I had on my previous suburban lot, maybe 1/2 an acre or so. Seems like more when I mow!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 23, 2009
11:02 PM

Post #6180125

rentman, your rabbits tolerate the snow in that cage that appears open??

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2009
11:05 PM

Post #6180142

rev, We know Cranbury very well, hubby does the hvac for all township and school buildings.
woofie
Chewelah, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 23, 2009
11:32 PM

Post #6180255

SoCal, your yard is just lovely. You have done wonders with that small space. My (non-gardening) brother lives in Huntington Beach and I swear his back yard is smaller than yours. Would you believe, he hires a gardener to mow his postage stamp back yard?
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 23, 2009
11:35 PM

Post #6180272

darius, when that picture was taken the bunnies were inside the GH, they are out side now even though it is still freezing here.
I water them with bowls when it's freezing, poor soles lick the ice for water, but think about it...what do rabbits do in the wild?
I do take good care of them (they are meat rabbits) Yummm
And the poo means more to me than the meat.
dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2009
11:37 PM

Post #6180282

I live in a townhome rental and have a small bed in the front (I'm an end unit so I've annexed the side of the building and dug out another bed along that side of the building) and containers on the sidewalks plus my walled in patio out back which is overrun with containers:lol:
This is the back--

Thumbnail by dmac085

Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 23, 2009
11:41 PM

Post #6180307

I voted yard not big enough. I live in a golf course that began in the 60's and the lots were lease hold lot to build cabins on. Ours is 80' x100' and we have a 2800 sq ft. house. So the sides and front and back yard space ranges from 7' to 15'. We have been here for 20 years so I'm mostly out of space. I have been rearranging for the last few years and I think I'm just about down. Now it will be maintenance only. The picture is of the golf course border.

Thumbnail by Willowwind2

dmac085
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2009
11:50 PM

Post #6180331

We had a big hare when I was a kid in Connecticut and he stayed in a hutch outdoors all winter with no adverse effects. He had an enclosed nest area in the rear of the hutch and then the front part was the open cage part. The breeder kept all of his outside as well. We had to get up before school in the winter and go break the ice out of his water bowl to give him fresh and feed him as well--had to refill the birdfeeders in the morning too. My mom sure was mean:lol:

This photo is my front flower bed at my apt.
It's about 10 ft long by 3 ft deep. I have a big container to the left with bulbs, dahlia's and vines in it and some other containers around the base of it. On the right side the bed runs into the side yard/grass and I've dug up around that corner and planted daffs and canna--plus I have another large/tall container of lilies in it.

This message was edited Feb 23, 2009 6:54 PM

Thumbnail by dmac085

rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 24, 2009
12:00 AM

Post #6180374

Oh yes the rabbits have thick fur to keep them warm (they suffer more in the summer)...The water bottles I have for them has a metal tube that goes into the cage and they lick the water from it. The metal freezes very quickly and no water. So the bowls work well when it's freezing.
Here they are inside the GH...Very Happy

Thumbnail by rentman

Artwestallis
Milwaukee, WI

February 24, 2009
12:16 AM

Post #6180437

well here we go The house I live in I have a 1/4 acre with house garage driveway and not enough garden space. Then I take care of the yard and gardens on my rental property wich is less tha a 1/4 acre with house and garage and driveway. Then the inlaws have 3 acres and they let me garden on 1.5 acres of it.So in the summer am very busy between the 3 properties. But thats what keeps me going.Want to try and sell at farmers market this year. Th e picture shows how close the houses are together.(this is the house I live in the white one). dont have a summer pic but gives you an ida. Also need some advice on trimming my wild wiesteria that still hasnt bloomed after 4 yrs. Maybe ground level pruning this year lol.

Thumbnail by Artwestallis

revclaus
(Judith) Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

February 24, 2009
12:33 AM

Post #6180499

rentman, you raise them for dinner?? Nothing better than a good rabbit stew! lol

willowwind, great garden, great setting.
cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2009
12:34 AM

Post #6180503

We have 10 acres mostly steep hills with mixed hardwood forest and about 2 acres of pasture in front of the house. We have planted thousands of daffodils - early, mid and late season - on the property and here are some out front.

Thumbnail by cedar18

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 24, 2009
12:34 AM

Post #6180504

Thanks for the explanation, rentman. Doesn't look like many meals in those cages, though.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 24, 2009
12:37 AM

Post #6180519

About 10 years ago we downsized from 120 acres row crop farming moved and now have been on 25 acres.

About 3 acres are in garden beds for daylilies and perennials. Another acre is for veggie growing. About a 1/2 acre is lanes and parking and buildings. About 5 is fenced pasture. Another rough 10 is semi wooded pasture/prairie ground and the rest is wooded. And a portion of that is bog.

Our ground here is very poor and is what is called a sand prairie, sand woodland, sand pond, railway prairie savanah. We have a very unusual ecosystem here which is being hampered by progress and ignorant caretakers of ground nextdoor. ours is a very fragile system which is a shame that there are people in the world that really think the land as worthless and do not treat it for what it is worth. It is a host to some rare native plants and host to a wonderful array of wildlife.

The land will flood, but in 10 years of being here and studying it, we have lost a serious amount of ground water and I beleive the ecosystem has been damaged more than I even realize. It used to be a habitat for a family of hawks which no longer build their nest here anymore and the geese have increased heavily. The system is off balance.

Kylaluaz

Kylaluaz
Richmond, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 24, 2009
12:44 AM

Post #6180545

It's very nice that you are there to care for it Blossombuddy.

And Cedar18, how lovely! beautiful daffs!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2009
12:46 AM

Post #6180550

Interesting , that the poll goes from "small city or suburban" straight to "one acre or more!" I feel like if I only had another 1/4 acre, I'd have oodles of gardens. One acre would feel huge! And I always thought everyone else had way more space than I did.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

February 24, 2009

Post #6180558

We have just under 1/2 acre, but supplement it with the gardens at church, it keeps us busy.
llgaither
Richford, NY

February 24, 2009
12:56 AM

Post #6180608

We have 31 acres, about 27 of which is deep woods. Near the old farmhouse are the bare bones of an "old" garden, with lilacs and philadelphus and scope for imagination.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 24, 2009
1:20 AM

Post #6180716

I have 35 acres, primarily woodland. Rolling terrain criss-crossed with old logging trails, and a meandering creek. Natural beauty everywhere - trees (beech, oak, maple, poplar,...), mountain laurel, woodland natives (ferns, mayapples), and large white boulders. Back in 2001, turned 1 1/2 acres of the only low, swampy part into a pond. Minimal sunny areas - just the drainfield and small clearings around the house and pond. I've attempted to enhance some areas with gardening efforts - primary focus is near the house, a shady garden on the hillside between the house and the pond, along the part of the creek that can be seen from the driveway, and thousands of daffodils along one of the old logging trails (now dubbed the daffodil trail). Figure I'll run out of money before I run out of gardening room! Loads of fun, and learning a lot... terri

Thumbnail by aspenhill

gabagoo
Yonkers, NY
(Zone 5b)

February 24, 2009
1:44 AM

Post #6180820

My "yard" is a totally bricked 19x22 area.
I manager to cram in LOTS of plants.
Everything is in containers. I usually average about 165 pots.

This shot was taken from my 2nd floor bedroom window.

Nancy

Thumbnail by gabagoo

Kylaluaz

Kylaluaz
Richmond, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 24, 2009
1:48 AM

Post #6180843

Wow! Gorgeous!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 24, 2009
1:49 AM

Post #6180845

Nancy-I am still amazed every time I see pics of your garden.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

February 24, 2009
1:52 AM

Post #6180859

Wow Nancy, that is a wonderful space.
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

February 24, 2009
2:15 AM

Post #6180948

Terri: What a beautiful photo of the pond in winter. I love winter scenery and yours is to die for! How lucky you are to have so much property with different environments and trees. Wow!

ViolaAnn

ViolaAnn
Ottawa, ON
(Zone 5a)

February 24, 2009
3:57 AM

Post #6181388

Ours is a city lot 60' x 100' with maybe an extra 20 feet of depth in front which is a city easement. I could have checked the last choice that it's not big enough for my gardens. I'm addicted to Hostas and running out of space fast.
gardener105
Bend, OR
(Zone 5a)

February 24, 2009
4:15 AM

Post #6181480

How's this one Hemophobic?

Thumbnail by gardener105

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 24, 2009
4:19 AM

Post #6181498

Looks like everybody that is on Dave's has a nice garden. I posted my veggie garden early this morning, so now here is some of my flower gardens.

Thumbnail by CountryGardens

Joan
Belfield, ND
(Zone 4a)

February 24, 2009
4:20 AM

Post #6181501

We own a little over 5 acres, but from shelterbelt to shelterbelt it's actually about 8 acres that we groom. It's the dumbest thing, but that's the way the place was surveyed when we bought it. We figure we have use of nearly 8 acres, but only paid for 5. The other three acres are the 50 some feet inside the tree rows that the previous owner wanted to keep. If he was so attached to the trees, I certainly wish he would have taken care of them.

We do groom the entire area. Mowed, trimmed,etc. I have two veggie gardens. One that is about an acre (I haven't used that one since the kids grew up. Still trying to figure out what to do with it) And then I have a smaller dinner type veggie garden up close to the house where I now plant everything that DH and I eat in the summer.

I have many flower gardens all around too. I've got one flowerbed that has been the bane of my existence ever since I built it. I made it WAY too large and it's not manageable. The weeds have gotten the best of me and last year I resorted to spraying part of it with roundup. If it doesn't behave this year I'm going to tear it down and plant that area back to grass again. I'm tired of fighting with it.

I would take some photos, but my entire yard is still somewhere underneath numerous feet of snow, and I don't think I took any last year.
Katye
Sammamish, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2009
4:48 AM

Post #6181585

1.5 acres, and that's as much land I could take care of by myself.
I have a large veg/cutting garden, an orchard, a little woods & lots of grass. We get a lot of rainfall here, so it's not a hassle to water. Plus - I grow it as a crop: composting material.
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 24, 2009
5:09 AM

Post #6181644

I voted for the first choice...

We a sub-division lot of 68 ' wide and 115' long, which includes our house, side entry driveway, lawn and flowerbeds. We have a hilly lot (hill in the front, back and side). I have some flowerbeds, but would like to have a few more. I like to plant in containers as well.

Here's a pic of the front from the Summer of 2007

Marilyn

I feed the birds everyday, every year since Dec. 2000 and when the Hummers are here, we have 4 Hummingbird feeders up (2 in the front and 2 in the back). I plant flowers for the Hummers and Butterflies as well.

This message was edited Feb 24, 2009 12:12 AM

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 24, 2009
5:21 AM

Post #6181674

This is also from Summer of 2007 and looking to the back yard and some of my flowerbeds and containers

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 24, 2009
5:40 AM

Post #6181706

If I could, I would have voted for "My garden is as big as a handkerchief!", but that doesn't stop me from planting a whole orchard on it!
Christie

Thumbnail by mrs_colla

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 24, 2009
5:46 AM

Post #6181714

This is looking from our patio in the back at a few of my flowerbeds and some of my birdfeeders in May 2008

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

February 24, 2009
5:48 AM

Post #6181719

I have about 3000 species of plants on 1/10 of an acre.. .pretty crowded!

Thumbnail by palmbob

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

February 24, 2009
5:50 AM

Post #6181720

I'm surprised, too, by the differences in gardens and styles of gardening. Y'all are giving me ideas.

Palmbob, you make it look like the property is bigger.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2009
5:50 AM

Post #6181721

Thanks Tri_Na_Nog, Hemophobic and Flowerjen for the nice words on my space. Also the picture was taken by DH from the roof. Here is a more current one where the shop was painted and a deck and walkway added last year.

Laurawege….you have made use of your corner, very nice!

Cedar…..Great natural setting for the daffodils

Revclaus…demac085…gabagoo and Christie…. All of you really need to rent a lawn somewhere….or send me your extra plants! None of you need to worry about grass though.

Willowwind2…bet those golfers slice just to see your garden up close

Rentman….Love your greenhouse/ bunny hut…but I agree with the DW on the warm climate!

Marilynbeth…. Talk about curb appeal…WOW!!

Guess I have to add you to the "need to rent a lawn" group Palmbob! LOL!

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 24, 2009
6:00 AM

Post #6181735

Thanks Sheila, but I've changed that flowerbed at the street to what it looks like this in June 2008. I left a few plants and then I have started adding Tall Bearded Irises. Hopefully, this Spring it will look even better with the Irises all in bloom. :-)

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 24, 2009
6:04 AM

Post #6181739

This was this year's containers on the patio in May, but I have had more containers on the patio other years

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 24, 2009
6:10 AM

Post #6181751

Here's the same container group a month later in June 2008. They've really gotten bigger and fuller

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 24, 2009
9:13 AM

Post #6181945

Every ones pictures are beautiful!
I'm on 2 and a half acres. Originally grass and gum trees, now at least half is under garden, and the rest is still grass and gums, but manicured.
My style started as cottage, then went to tropical exotics, as its too humid here for most cool climate plants. Anything that requires more than 2 prunes a year is getting the 'Chop' as its become very time consuming and I want to make it easy maintenance.
I use lots of sugarcane mulch for weed suppression, and try to stay ontop of it. I also garden for a living, which means I'm quite insane!
This is the lawn between the house and truckshed

This message was edited Feb 24, 2009 8:14 PM

Thumbnail by weed_woman

weed_woman
Coffs Harbour
Australia

February 24, 2009
9:16 AM

Post #6181947

My main garden has pathways through it for easy access to all areas. I love my garden

Thumbnail by weed_woman

Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

February 24, 2009
12:26 PM

Post #6182119

Gardener: Wonderful! The winter scenes are so peaceful looking.

Weed_woman: How gorgeous your gardens are. Easy to understand your love for them.

Mrs_colla: Your front area is packed full but still interesting! It lures me in. Who's the charming young man?

Everyone: All the photos are quite lovely and inspiring for different reasons, but there's something in each that hits the spot for me.

Thank you each and all for sharing your garden photos on this cold winter day. Here are daylilies from 2008 at our mailbox.

Thumbnail by Hemophobic

Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

February 24, 2009
12:29 PM

Post #6182130

Here is the natural area in front of our house. It is still a work in progress, but has some azaleas, a Japanese maple, lots of daylilies, some hostas and various other plants. This photo is from 2008.

Thumbnail by Hemophobic

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

February 24, 2009
1:15 PM

Post #6182253

About 1/2 an acre on top of a hill of which the flattest part is where the house sits. Some small bit of lawn left since I attempted to turn as much area as possible into raised beds or shallower beds with stone borders. If you don't put a border on it, the soil will wash down the hill in the rain. However, I have beautiful hosta, daffodils, beds for vegetables and places for large containers. I am interested in plants that will hold the hillside.
Here's a picture from the top of my hill from last spring. The plant is Cornus mas, Cornelian cherry, which is a bright yellow torch in early spring. You can see the neighboring street below.
Martha

Thumbnail by gardenmart

DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS
(Zone 5b)

February 24, 2009
2:11 PM

Post #6182476

8.5 acres here...but it's still not enough!

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 24, 2009
4:34 PM

Post #6183255

Hemophobic; this is my son, who has the duty to check for aphids on the fruit trees and than squish them between his fingers! He likes that job!
Sheila_FW; rent a lawn; that's the bright idea I was looking for! But wait; I have a back yard that needs to be planted, about twice the side of my front yard. DH wants me to wait planting there until he is done building an outdoor cooking area. ( He hasn't started though.)
Christie

EDIT to say, yep, the previous picture is my son, here he is not at work!

This message was edited Feb 24, 2009 3:30 PM

Thumbnail by mrs_colla

gardener105
Bend, OR
(Zone 5a)

February 24, 2009
4:35 PM

Post #6183264

Thank you Hemophobic. That was taken just a few minutes after sunrise, this is what it looked like.

Thumbnail by gardener105

gardener105
Bend, OR
(Zone 5a)

February 24, 2009
4:37 PM

Post #6183277

mrs_colla, you have an invisible son? :-)
gardener105
Bend, OR
(Zone 5a)

February 24, 2009
4:47 PM

Post #6183350

This is my flowerbed east of the house. This was taken on the 4th of July.

Thumbnail by gardener105

gardener105
Bend, OR
(Zone 5a)

February 24, 2009
4:49 PM

Post #6183384

This was taken on the 13th.

Thumbnail by gardener105

azrobin
Scottsdale, AZ
(Zone 9b)

February 24, 2009
4:54 PM

Post #6183432

Whoa. Some of you have some great gardens & space! I have about 200 sq.ft. of dedicated garden beds that are 4ft deep that surround the interior perimiter of my back yard. The rest is pool and cool decking. Just not enough space for all of the flora I want!!!

gardener105
Bend, OR
(Zone 5a)

February 24, 2009
5:01 PM

Post #6183479

Here's another pic from a different angle.

Thumbnail by gardener105

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2009
5:02 PM

Post #6183485

I think ms colla meant to that “that was”…her son in her pic from above. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=6181706
Weedwoman…beautiful tropicals
Gardener105… Bet the butterflies and hummers love your oasis

This message was edited Feb 24, 2009 11:11 AM
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2009
5:02 PM

Post #6183491

We have an acre but use only part of it. I would not have the time nor want to use the water it would take to plant it all. Plus I love the native plants and cactus that grow on most of the acre.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltdiva/sets/72157610962910928/
gardener105
Bend, OR
(Zone 5a)

February 24, 2009
5:05 PM

Post #6183503

Straight out from the porch.

Thumbnail by gardener105

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2009
5:07 PM

Post #6183522

Cactus...Couldn't get the pics to pull up large...but the thumbnails show enough to see it is a georgeous property you have!

This message was edited Feb 24, 2009 11:08 AM
gardener105
Bend, OR
(Zone 5a)

February 24, 2009
5:09 PM

Post #6183531

Thank you Sheila, that was a great pic! Yah, I do have quite a few of all shapes, sizes and colors. I love Butterflies and Hummers!
From the north end.

This message was edited Feb 24, 2009 9:10 AM

This message was edited Feb 24, 2009 9:54 AM

Thumbnail by gardener105

cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2009
5:11 PM

Post #6183549

Thanks Sheila, don't know why it would not let you see a slideshow but somedays flickr has hiccups! Nice shots gardener105. ; )

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2009
5:12 PM

Post #6183553

A whole bunch of us were trying to view you group at one time...it overloaded! I will try later.
gardener105
Bend, OR
(Zone 5a)

February 24, 2009
5:15 PM

Post #6183570

I have so many pics of my place I wish I could post them all but that's impossible. This how I know summer is over. This was taken on the 10th of Oct.

Thumbnail by gardener105

gabagoo
Yonkers, NY
(Zone 5b)

February 24, 2009
5:19 PM

Post #6183593

Lawn??? I don't need a lawn! LOL!
If I ever moved to a houe with a lawn, it would not be there for long, that's for sure!
I'd have paths meandering around the garden that would replace the lawn.
I love weed_woman's garden. THAT'S what I'd have!

Hey, aspenthomas! Your pic makes me drool! I'd love to be near the water - a lake or a pond... something that does not flood!
You're not to far from my sister. She's in Ashburn.

Mrs_colla - LOVE your porch! Man, I'd plop myself down and NEVER move!

Here's a pic of my yard taken from the bench in the back.
Nancy

Thumbnail by gabagoo

gardener105
Bend, OR
(Zone 5a)

February 24, 2009
5:21 PM

Post #6183607

Thank you cactuspatch. This is what it looks like in the winter. Pretty barren huh.

Thumbnail by gardener105

gabagoo
Yonkers, NY
(Zone 5b)

February 24, 2009
5:35 PM

Post #6183676

cactuspatch! WOW! Great pics!
I have photos on flickr too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nlf/collections/

The "Weekly Update" albums contain pics I take every Saturday morning from May thru Dec of my yard. It's fun to watch it as a slide show. You can watch the garden grow.

Nancy

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2009
5:59 PM

Post #6183795

Gardener105...Everyone has to sleep sometime to rejuvinate..even our gardens.
gardener105
Bend, OR
(Zone 5a)

February 24, 2009
6:26 PM

Post #6183938

I know Sheila, but it just looks so ugly in the winter unless it snows on it.

Thumbnail by gardener105

TBGDN

TBGDN
Macy, IN

February 24, 2009
8:51 PM

Post #6184648

Rarely do I get a chance to post on this forum. After seeing all the creativity and beauty pictured in the above postings I knew I wanted join in this Voting Booth topic. We have two acres in the country which have become a "lifetime" gardening "project". I'd like to share a couple of scenes from last spring and summer. This one is from July 2008.

Thumbnail by TBGDN

TBGDN

TBGDN
Macy, IN

February 24, 2009
8:54 PM

Post #6184662

This one is from May 2008.

Thumbnail by TBGDN

cedar18
Lula, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2009
9:07 PM

Post #6184724

So many beautiful gardens. It's wonderful to see all of your efforts.

TBGDN - as the last post, I will specifically say your photos are gorgeous. They make me remember spring is coming.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 24, 2009
9:15 PM

Post #6184759

Well, you have to look beyond the daylily to see the back pasture where our horses play. It is actually the veiw from our rear of our home.

We raise close to 500 varieties of daylilies and numerous other perennials the garden area. They have been a passion for over 25 years.. Some of our own homeraised hybrids are starting to grow now.

When we came to our 25 acre haven.. there was not a domestic perennial growing on the place other than grass and a few trees in the houseyard. We dug up and transplanted about 1 acre of perennial flowers that we raised at our old farm before moving and brought them all here..

We have a small 8x 16 ft green house and have been working on a larger 100x 25 ft hoop house but that project slowed down when my husband fell ill. Don't know if we will ever continue it or not at this point yet. Right now I do most of the work here by myself and so running the hoop house would be a bit much for me with the rest of the mess but we are hoping when he is able and retired.

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY

Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

February 24, 2009
9:17 PM

Post #6184763

Gardener: That sunset photo is breathtaking, too! Wow!

TBG: Those are some killer irises and lilies. Beauties.

Thanks, everyone, for these lovely garden photos. You've made my day.
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2009
9:48 PM

Post #6184919

TBG, I love daylilies. I only have some mini Stella de Oros that bloom all summer. My others are large are pretty but only bloom once. That photo of the red ones is gorgeous! Do they rebloom? If so please share the name. ; )

gabagoo, you have really packed a ton of plants in that small courtyard. I added you as a contact so I can see more of your photos. I've been thinking I should climb on the roof and take photos--not sure I will do it weekly though LOL!
tropicsofohio
Hilliard, OH
(Zone 6b)

February 24, 2009
9:59 PM

Post #6184969

i do most, no, not most, ALL of the gardening in the house hold. and by the way, im not even out of highschool. lol. call it an obsession, i call it a life style XD. here is the front of our house in the burbs. just before the day lillys bloom. i wish i caould do more, but my mom wont let me. lol... maybe when we move... :) alsoo... i am sooo devoted to gardening, that for mothers day, i put in all lthe annuals... well, whats special about that, you say... there was a tornado while i was gardening! lol and to every one who has replyed about the garden, thank you:) and im sure my mom is just glad that im not into hard drugs, or somthing like that. lol. im the only non-conformist guy under 20 that you see in the garden, ive had a coupple good stares XD.
ps, you should see the back yard... banana plants and palm trees dominate. a slice of florida in ohio:)
thanks all

This message was edited Mar 1, 2009 10:14 AM

Thumbnail by tropicsofohio

Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 24, 2009
10:07 PM

Post #6185002

tropicsofohio, I salute you and your efforts. You will be a great future gardener. And will have a lifetime to garden as you choose. Your home is lovely. I'm 70 now but didn't garden until I was in my twenties.
cactuspatch
Alamogordo, NM
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2009
10:27 PM

Post #6185091

tropics, I loved to help with the gardening from the time I was 3. That means that I have loved it for over 50 years now! Gardening is a wonderful hobby that you can enjoy your entire life. I bet your Mom loves that you are into such a wholesome activity.
revclaus
(Judith) Denver, CO
(Zone 5b)

February 24, 2009
10:45 PM

Post #6185159

Cactyspatch, you have an absolutely lovely setting! I loved your flickr photos.

Nancy, your magnificent garden always makes me smile.

Tropicsofohio, you go girl!

Aspenthomas, do you have room for my tent?? I love your setting. I'd love to live there.

Marilynbeth, your house and gardens are picture perfect.

So many beautiful gardens. They should all be in a garden magazine.

This is an amazing forum...er, poll.

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2009
10:47 PM

Post #6185168

Isn't it amazing what everyone does with their different spaces? I just can't get over the variety of what everone does with their own gardens.

We have 3 acres, and it's just enough space for me. I do all the gardening here too. DH doesn't care for the outdoor 'work', only play. I'm hoping to do a little larger veggie garden this year. I've been using a small space for the last 3 years, making sure I would keep up with the weeding and picking, and I've done well. I'm hoping to reward myself with something a little larger.

Pamgarden
Central, VA
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2009
10:48 PM

Post #6185173

Wow these pictures are so inspiring, from tiny to immense, DG members have fantastic gardens. This thread alone is worth the price of a DG membership. Thank you all.
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 24, 2009
11:24 PM

Post #6185317

revclaus,

Thanks for the nice words!

Everyone's gardens look wonderful and inspiring!

Marilyn
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

February 24, 2009
11:25 PM

Post #6185319

Tropic: You can come garden all you want at my place! What an inspiration you are to all of us. Wish I had been into gardening when I was your age. It's good for the soul and good for your body.

KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 24, 2009
11:33 PM

Post #6185368

Well, I have a suburban lot, but it isn't exactly small for being in town. It's a corner lot, first off, and the previous owner annexed an extra patch of land that wasn't large enough for a house (but was more than large enough for a detached 2.5 car garage). All total, it's a quarter acre, which is plenty for me. Since it's all brand new (I moved in mid-September '08), I have a lot of work to do this spring. The yard once was very loved, but the people who owned it last neglected it. I'm looking forward to showing it love once again. :)

Thumbnail by KaylyRed

Veterkins
Gravette, AR

February 24, 2009
11:50 PM

Post #6185449

WOW, we have 80 acres mostly in pasture for the cows. About 5 is for house, garden, shop and mobile. Both of our closest neighbors are 1/4 mile away (one is my son, DIL and grandson). There is so much peace and solitude here I can't believe I'm only 15 minutes from town...

I want to rework the "back yard" cause it's mostly just pastureland. I want to turn it into something like some of your pictures here. What beautiful oasis' you all have! This is such a great site!

I live in the south and we're always fixin' to do something. (For those up north that would mean "going to do"... ;-) !) We're fixin' to make the vegetable beds a little bigger this year and we're fixin' to tear out the front walkway beds and move the roses to a circle bed in the front drive. There's so much stuff to get done, I'm tired already.

I've attached a picture of my "backyard" during the last ice storm. The first tree line is our back property line. We sit to the back of the acreage. It's a blank canvas right now...

Thumbnail by Veterkins

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 25, 2009
12:50 AM

Post #6185746

1/3 acre is not big enough!!!!
FlipFlops
Brunswick , GA
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2009
1:09 AM

Post #6185849

I have a suburban lot about 120' x 90' and cannot find anywhere to put anything else. In my backyard I have approximately 80 azaleas along with numerous other plants such as holly ferns, hostas, nandinas (sp) and hydrangeas. This does not include the perennials, dogwoods and japanese red maple and hugh hugh maple tree. In the summer I plant lots of impatients for color in the shade. It's very peaceful and the birds are music to my ears when I am in the hammock or sitting under the arbor with a hugh glass of sweet tea. Oh summer...when will you be back...I miss you. I have lovely pictures but not smart enough to enclose an image. I did not come along in the computer age, but trying my best to learn to be a modern grandma. Can someone help me and then I can share my yard with you.

Kylaluaz

Kylaluaz
Richmond, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2009
1:18 AM

Post #6185880

I can try to help... If the image is on the desktop of your computer, then look just below your posting box here in the thread and you will see a smaller window that is titled "image:" and next to it a "browse" button. Click browse and your desktop should show you the available items you have as files there including any images you have (you may have to move the image from wherever it is stored onto your desktop first) -- if you select the one you want to share (on my computer that means I select a button that says "open") it should then copy its name in that little image window (it will be just the file name there) and then when you publish your post by selecting "send" the image will post along with whatever you wrote.

hope that helps...

Kyla

I just posted an irrelevant image that way...

Thumbnail by Kylaluaz

FlipFlops
Brunswick , GA
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2009
1:40 AM

Post #6185977

Kyla, thank you so much. See if this works.

Thumbnail by FlipFlops

Kylaluaz

Kylaluaz
Richmond, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2009
1:42 AM

Post #6185985

Whoa! It worked! Gorgeous! and I am so tickled I was able to verbalize that so you could do it, whaaaat a rush. hee hee.

K.
FlipFlops
Brunswick , GA
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2009
1:45 AM

Post #6185999

Yes...thank you, thank you. Made my day. See you can teach an old dog new tricks! LOL

Kylaluaz

Kylaluaz
Richmond, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2009
1:46 AM

Post #6186007

Maybe it takes one old dog to teach another, lol
SongsofJoy
New Hampshire, NH
(Zone 5b)

February 25, 2009
2:13 AM

Post #6186151

I have a little less than 1/2 acre, located in the best of both worlds - very close to all the major conveniences, but nestled in a quiet little neighborhood. I'm in the processing of landscaping every square inch of my yard. I've consented to a small patch of grass (what is it with men and their grass?!); but the rest is plants, water gardens, trees and flowers.

Thumbnail by SongsofJoy

Kylaluaz

Kylaluaz
Richmond, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2009
2:19 AM

Post #6186191

Oh that is stunning.
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

February 25, 2009
2:23 AM

Post #6186222

Wah, I want to live in your garden!

Kylaluaz

Kylaluaz
Richmond, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2009
2:26 AM

Post #6186236

that is probably what the grass is for, to lie on and succumb to that enchantment!
SongsofJoy
New Hampshire, NH
(Zone 5b)

February 25, 2009
2:35 AM

Post #6186285

one of these days I'll be able to succumb...for now there's too much more work to do. it's a sickness, I tell you...no, madness!
FlipFlops
Brunswick , GA
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2009
4:43 AM

Post #6187001

The soft color palet of lavender and purple is beautiful. I can almost hear the water. Absolutely gorgeous!!
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 25, 2009
5:21 AM

Post #6187129

You win the prettiest yard contest! That is really a great accomplishment. Awesome.
herbalbetty
Middleburgh, NY

February 25, 2009
11:14 AM

Post #6187437

After purchasing the adjoining property so we could expand our gardens, we have 5 acres. Two sides are bordered by a creek and two sides by road.
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2009
12:45 PM

Post #6187582

SongsofJoy, that's such a tranquil scene, and so beautifully done. I'm completely blown away. (And a little envious, I must admit. Astilbes hate me.) I wish my garden could be like yours when it grows up...
bluebunn
Rutledge, TN

February 25, 2009
3:31 PM

Post #6188191

We have 40 acres, about 30 of it in woods. I have 8 flower gardens spread around here and there amidst the lawn, fruit trees and berry bushes, about 2 acres. And the rest belongs to a small herd of sheep and goats, geese, ducks and free range chickens. Throw in 5 cats and a dog and there it is! As a little girl, I always wanted to live on a farm, have lots of animals and flowers and be an artist. I really, really wanted a horse..All my wishes came true, except the horse. With all these other things to care for, who has time for a horse!

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2009
4:32 PM

Post #6188422

For those of you that haven't seen some of SongsofJoy's other photos of the gardens please take the time to look them up, they are absolutely beautiful.

Doug
phoenixryan
Mesa, AZ

February 25, 2009
4:55 PM

Post #6188502

SongsofJoy, your garden is amazing! Can you come do that to my yard?
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2009
5:24 PM

Post #6188654

6 acres on a 130 acre centennial farm with 3 house family owned! :)
I garden on over a acer...

Thumbnail by notmartha

gardener105
Bend, OR
(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2009
5:36 PM

Post #6188714

Fabulous gardens everyone!

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2009
5:41 PM

Post #6188749

So many wonderful gardens. This is a great thread...
SongsofJoy, I've stumbled across various posts of your gardens in the past and am always enchanted with what you've accomplished - lovely, lovely, lovely! Terri
FlipFlops
Brunswick , GA
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2009
6:18 PM

Post #6188897

Notmartha, beautiful!! I love looking at all the different gardens. Just like each individual...each is unique. I bet the butterflies love your garden!
SongsofJoy
New Hampshire, NH
(Zone 5b)

February 25, 2009
10:27 PM

Post #6189858

Thanks everyone. It is my little backyard paradise. I miss it terribly in winter so I live on the pictures and the promise of spring...ahhh...one more month if I'm lucky!

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2009
11:06 PM

Post #6190012

I have just over 4 acres. It used to be a cow pasture so the ground is rich. I mow about 2.5 of lawn, have at least a half acre veggie garden. We've got outbuildings and a 20x40 greenhouse. I grow veggies, apples, pecans (someday we'll get a harvest) I have several beds for ornamentals and an 8x30 covered front porch for containers.

This year I'm re-doing the front entryway bed. We've pulled out all of the Crimson Barberries and I'm putting in a couple of Japanese Maples, some David Austin roses, and some more 'interesting' additions. We left a very large (by KY standards) crape myrtle in this bed as an anchor and I have hostas planted under it.

Everyone's pictures are wonderful! I'll have to dig some out. Mine are on my old computer and I haven't had time to move them. But I'll get some shortly!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

February 25, 2009
11:58 PM

Post #6190249

I checked the first one, but I don't have what is exactly a "small" lot as far as city and suburban lots around here go. We have 2/7 acre.

I don't have all that good of a representative picture, so this will have to do.

Thumbnail by Kelli

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2009
12:30 AM

Post #6190389

Songs of Joy, its not so much about men and their grass... its the machines they mow it with!! LOL They must mow you know and so to them its becareful where you sow!

Well here is a small corner of our weed patch...majority is daylilies.. basically anything you see here that is tall except for those three mongrel milkweeds is daylilies!

Its roughly about a third of our daylily patches.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2009
12:36 AM

Post #6190424

My garden path and my "jurassic" garden phlox...derned stuff is 5 foot tall!

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2009
12:40 AM

Post #6190438

Another veiw of what was in the shade on photo one! Different year though!

FlipFlops
Brunswick , GA
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2009

Post #6190460

Okay, y'all are really inspiring me with your beautiful garden pictures. Here's my favorite spot to drink a cool glass of ice tea and turn the pages of my favorite book. When it's cold (like it is now) I have to look at this to know winter is almost over. This was taken last summer in my back yard.

Thumbnail by FlipFlops

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2009
12:51 AM

Post #6190479

Another veiw.. kind of what I get to see outside my bedroom window.. sorry about the blurr...be about June though...

Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

February 26, 2009
1:08 AM

Post #6190544

Flipflops: Nice little nook. Is that a pieris japonica to the right in the photo? Looks so healthy!
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 26, 2009
1:21 AM

Post #6190607

Yes FlipFlop, beautiful nook.

Blossombuddy, Your phlox are beautiful. Do you have a commercial garden?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2009
2:08 AM

Post #6190871

No its private. Just one of those hobbies that ran away. We tried going commercial but the economy sucks out here and there are no jobs and no local market for it. Our county and town was also declared a federal disaster area about a year ago due to flooding so a lot of the area has suffered. It is also big headache between the retail tax issues and the nursery inspections. A royal paperwork nightmare.

I am hoping though that in our retirement we can get the hoophouse up and running and do annuals for a supplemental income.. . Its a pipe dream, but would be fun. Annuals are not as regulated as perennials in the sale barn.

I basically do a lot of trading and propagating of our own. Been doing that for about 25 years but the daylily passion is recent in the last 10.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2009
2:25 AM

Post #6190981

This is what we can look like in the wet! That was a 5 " rain storm that fell in 4 hours last September. That is the pasture in the background but the gardens all were flooded as well.

I will get water up to my little "glorified" potting shed. But so far the tide has not come into it or the residence or our workshop. We have been told by inspections that we have one of the dry-est (why does that word "dry-est" look so wrong!!) crawlspaces around.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2009
2:38 AM

Post #6191047

Here is my "glorified" potting shed. It is a small fiberglass green house 8x16 and amazing what I can put out of that little thing.

And more of my "jurassic" phlox. I do not know why but those phlox are doing pretty well here. They were never that big at the old home farm and we are on poor soil here. I just let them do their thing. They reseed readily and are marvelous for the butterflies and hummers.

In our back acreage we have a private nature preserve where we have some pretty unusual native plants there and a pretty unique ecosystem. We have been cataloging the vegatation and have listed close to 250 savanah plants that are native here. That in itself has been a huge undertaking trying to learn who is who out there. We have also a bog and are very populated at times with many kinds of frogs much to our pleasure!
We can tell when the ecosystem is working right and when it is off balance much by the frogs.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 26, 2009

Post #6191049

Where is your farm, Blossombuddy ?
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2009
2:40 AM

Post #6191062

We are in northeastern Illinois...
FlipFlops
Brunswick , GA
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2009
4:34 AM

Post #6191677

Hemophobic: Yes it's Pieris Japonica Scarlett O'Hara which I purchased at Lowe's about 10 or 12 years ago. It must like it's place in the garden because I never do anything to it. Wish everything I have planted was that way lol
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2009
4:45 AM

Post #6191710

Notmartha, I've seen your gardens in other threads...but they still never fail to blow me away. I just love that rampant, free-flowing cottage style. It's simply gorgeous.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

February 26, 2009
4:53 PM

Post #6193344

I've got 9.2 hectares (about 22.6 acres) which is about what the smallest properties in the area are. In acres it's approximate apportionment is:

2.0 acres - swamp and natural swamp vegetation
4.5 acres - creek and natural riverine vegetation
8.0 acres - mangos
4.5 acres - paddock/grass
3.5 acres - House/garden/driveway.
gardener105
Bend, OR
(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2009
5:04 PM

Post #6193390

BlossomBuddy, my Phlox reach 5 ft as well and we're of the same zone as you and have poor soil too here on the farm. I had Phlox when we lived in town and they never reached such heights there. I guess it's the zone and the soil. That was the one plant I didn't get a good pic of last year.
Susan105
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2009
6:42 PM

Post #6193887

We have a wild phlox here that just thrives and the domestic seem to love it here. The wild stuff is on gold sand. There is no top soil.. if you sneeze on it, you just dun blew my topsoil away.. that is how fragile the land is.

The phlox are pure heaven scent, well that is if you can smell them above the daylilies around here, but we sure do enjoy them.

My creeping phlox do very well to. Just wish the grass did not do better! Its war between those two.

Right now I am sooo looking forward to my daffs! They seem to enjoy my poor old flood plain here as well! I tried some up on one of the berms in back and am hoping for a show of naturalization there. But its only their first year so I have no clue what they will do there.

gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 26, 2009
6:49 PM

Post #6193929

I think our whole lot is 150x40', minus the footprint of our house and driveway. It's not as tiny as some suburban lots, but it's not very big. :)
gardener105
Bend, OR
(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2009
8:49 PM

Post #6194411

BLOSSOMBUDDY, I have 70 Gladiola bulbs on order and can't wait till they get here so I can plant them. I have to wait till April though before they get here. :-( Then I'll have to wait till around Aug & Sept before they bloom.
Sofonisba
Beacon, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 26, 2009
9:22 PM

Post #6194546

I have a suburban lot about 1/3 of an acre. I wish I had 20 acres. Most would be native and I'd probably garden on an acre or two. I just don't have enough privacy!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2009
10:23 PM

Post #6194854

Gardner105, that is nifty! And what do you plan to do with them> put them in containers or direct in the garden or??
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 26, 2009
11:35 PM

Post #6195143

In 2007, I had lots of containers around my house. I had containers in the back on the patio, on the end of our side entry driveway and in the front. In the front, I had containers on the front porch and on the steps in front of the house.

It's an idea that I'm really thinking of repeating! :-)

A pic of the containers on the steps in front during late July 2007. The containers continue past what the eve sees in this pic and the next. I also had 7 containers on the porch that you aren't able to see in pic.

This message was edited Feb 26, 2009 6:43 PM

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 26, 2009
11:37 PM

Post #6195155

Another view, another pic of the above

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 26, 2009
11:52 PM

Post #6195209

Some of my containers on the front porch in late July 2007. The pots in front of the containers are plants that hadn't gotten planted yet.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 27, 2009
12:10 AM

Post #6195271

One of the 4 containers that look alike on the porch. I had 3 other containers that were different plants (2 were Coralbells and the other was all Coleus)

An Orange Impatiens, blue/white Lobelia, 'Wizard Mixed' Coleus and Fuschia 'Gartenmeister Bonstedt'. One plant each in the 4 containers.

This message was edited Feb 26, 2009 7:14 PM

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth

Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 27, 2009
12:20 AM

Post #6195307

Nice containers Marilyn.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

February 27, 2009
12:39 AM

Post #6195387

We have 41/2 acres, over 2 are woods if you count the sides of the property as well as the back 2 acres. We have iris beds in the old pony pasture, mostly medians & seedlings. A few non designed beeds near the house, they have been shaded out so have to figure out more shade plants, can't just depend on hosta which the deer murder. It is a long narrow property, old conservation land which was invaded by trees, bayberry & viburnum. The grass is old pasture grass which we mow, both otherwise neglect, not big on grass now that the kids & ponies are gone. Trail 250' crosses the property, used for riding, hiking & cross country ski. New England stone wall (which was there) along the road has daffodils on the road side. Looks great in bloom, but ugly as they go past. We're out back working with the iris anyway,
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2009
1:15 AM

Post #6195519

DRIEST!! LOL Thanks Washington!

As I am thumping self onforehead!!! DOY!

drumlin
Rockport, ME
(Zone 5b)

February 27, 2009
2:11 AM

Post #6195734

Sofonisba, I'm with you. I bought my house a couple years ago because I'd taken care of acre properties by myself before and I thought I wanted to avoid the hassle. Let me tell you, there's no hassle like inconsiderate neighbors that are right on top of you!! So, the next house I buy will be on WELL over an acre, I hope. The house can be tiny, but the land had better be HUGE!!
Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

February 27, 2009
2:13 AM

Post #6195745

Thanks Willow!
Sofonisba
Beacon, NY
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2009
2:16 AM

Post #6195764

Yup, tiny house, huge property. NO NEIGHBORS!
Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 27, 2009
2:18 AM

Post #6195770

I do believe this is the best voting forum I've ever been in on.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2009
2:19 AM

Post #6195777

I have owned 120 acres and less and beleive me it does not matter how big the land is, there is ALWAYS someone that can always be inconsiderate. I just love it when I am out in my fields and here gun shot going off and I am having to erradicate trespassers with guns from hunting on my land or otherwise violating me. It is no fun no matter how big the land and rude just seems to be the way of the world these days. People just think they can do as they please and anytime. Or picking up trash or dealing with stray livestock and bad dogs or people in all terrain vehicles that think they can go anywhere too. People just have no consideration period sometimes and most have no clue as to the balance of nature.
Planter56
Buffalo, NY

February 27, 2009
3:27 AM

Post #6196103

I have your typical city lot. I really have to get some of the pictures I have of my gardens off of negatives and onto disk. I have a few pictures from a few years ago after a hail storm though. Not much to look at though.

Thumbnail by Planter56

Planter56
Buffalo, NY

February 27, 2009
3:30 AM

Post #6196112

This one was taken earlier after the storm when through it's about late spring?

Thumbnail by Planter56

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2009
4:08 AM

Post #6196238

Some of the daffs... I soo look forward to putting these in a vase this spring!

gardener105
Bend, OR
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2009
4:16 PM

Post #6197768

BLOSSOMBUDDY, thank you. They're going in a new garden plot in front of the hay barn. As soon s it warms up enough I'm going to go out and dig up the sod and prep the ground.
Fabulous Daffs!!! I can't wait for mine to bloom, they're just now starting to emerge from the ground. YEAH, SPRING IS ON IT'S WAY!!!!
Fabulous pics everyone!
BBL
Susan105
FlipFlops
Brunswick , GA
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2009
5:26 PM

Post #6198072

BLOSSOMBUDDY: Those are beautiful Daffs. Mine are just about ready to bloom and should be in a couple of days. Here is a picture of some I cut and put on my kitchen table last spring.

Thumbnail by FlipFlops

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 27, 2009
6:13 PM

Post #6198257

Drumlin and Harper-totally agree that's why we bought our new house I didn't want to hear the neighbors...
dparsons01
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

February 27, 2009
8:16 PM

Post #6198762

Interesting the percent of people on this site that own > 1 acre of land. Almost half.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

February 27, 2009
8:19 PM

Post #6198773

I am impressed with the creative people with balconies. Quite a bit of work.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2009
9:00 PM

Post #6198941

Thanks guys, well sadly, winter is back so I will not be seeing my daffs for a few weeks yet.. ugh!

On those glads, you can grow them in containers.. I have done that and it works very well and saves me the lifting in the fall.

I also put all my bulbs in nursery cans anymore. I will heel the cans into the ground, but boy and howdy, does that make for great finding them later when the transplant and lift needs doing and then it also help keep the moles out.

Heres todays weather looking out my back door!

This time of year I end up forcing things to bloom and right now have some wood cuttings blossoming in the livingroom. C'mon down to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design forum and see what we are doing there!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 27, 2009
9:29 PM

Post #6199052

So beautiful everyone from the tiny balcony gardens to the huge Edens ...pity those who are not into gardening. What joy they are missing.
I am on 16 acres ...about an acre of garden ...not enough of course, but for now (due to water restrictions) it is a lot of work ...even though it isn't manicured ...more rambling country garden with many fruit trees out front where we get winter chilled winds off the Blue Mountains and a "Secret Garden" (ummmm secret jungle) out back, which is a warm enclosed protected area facing East ...here are the tropical treasures I adore ...Angels trumpets featuring large ...anything smelly that you can think of and tropical edibles. I love my garden :-)

Thumbnail by chrissy100

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2009
9:32 PM

Post #6199064

Beautiful, Crissy. What's the fuschia flower left of the center of the web?
fredrump
Naples, FL
(Zone 10b)

February 28, 2009
8:43 AM

Post #6201158

I have 7.5 acres here in Naples, FL. It is basically cut into three 2.5 acre pieces with the part with the house being rather formal with islands under the trees and zoysia lawn in between. The middle section has been cleared of the underbrush and I'm in the process of planting native and tropical stuff but keeping it all very natural. The last piece is as is where all my detrius goes. There are many hundreds of palm trees on the property and they all drop something sooner or later. The mountains eventually return to compost material.

Picture showa piece of the middle where m trying to protect the little plants I put in from an overnight freeze we got here. Didn't help much but they will survive. To the rear is the wilderness area.

Thumbnail by fredrump

LaLambchop
Chapin, SC
(Zone 7b)

February 28, 2009
12:26 PM

Post #6201286

Such an interesting poll!
My property is not nearly big enough for my gardens. I have a 1/4 acre suburban lot but also guest hybridize at a friend's daylily nursery.
drumlin
Rockport, ME
(Zone 5b)

February 28, 2009
12:50 PM

Post #6201314

LaLambchop, it's nice to have friends! I'm just drooling over those pictures of views of hills, and the beautiful rock landscaping. I have so many things I want to do with my little 1/3 of an acre, but with the neighbors being what they are, I think I want to just keep with the basics and move on in a couple years when the economy gets better. Then...watch out!
chuck7701
McKinney, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 28, 2009
2:07 PM

Post #6201510

Corner city lot. Used to have more sun, but trees have exploded, so converting to a shade garden.
Here's a pic mid summer 08 of the back yard before the full growth peak. Behind me would be my semi - Bonsai Ficus kids - 25 & 35 years old.

Thumbnail by chuck7701

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2009
3:51 PM

Post #6201900

Drumlin ->>>>I like that statement, "with neighbors being what they are"...gives me a little chuckle!

I have a few plants growing in my sandbog that are on the endangered species list...WE as a private landowner work very hard here to protect that sand bog and its prairie and those plants.

And with neighbors being what they are.. some people will do anything out of stupidity and ego to destroy it..

With some neighbors being what they are.. I wish the jails were bigger and they taught the prisoners the GREATER importance of what the words means when someone says NO TRESPASSING and give the caretakers more authority on better ways to protect it.

I mean its like what the heck, what part of the words NO TRESPASSING dont these kooks understand...its like one of my biggest pet peeves. People just do not give a rats potato about much of anything these days and the authorities.. well, they can be down right useless and ignorant too.

We all garden here. We all do it for various reasons. We like our plants. We like our environment and most of us like the value of nature..

Yes, the darned endangered species I have here is just a "weed", but that silly weed is of critical emportance and CRITICAL value to its and need I say OUR environment, as that bog on my backyard, well in this state is a rare ecosystem. .. but then neighbors being what they are, they just dont think about that. They wanna ruin land with RTV,s and dumping and just plain old having fun being the neighbors that they are..

I love my sand bog! Its important others do to. But apparently the people burning tires three doors down don't and think its just a waste ground and they dont care what they pollute or burn up because its all about them. Not to mention the other one dumping manure into an ajacent wetland upsetting that ecosystem that is endangered too...yup... people just care less about that poor little defenseless endangered weed that I got growing on here and probably won't until someone stands up from the conservation commissions...and pounds it in to them and sooo well let me tell you the fun of with what neighbors being what they are can be... OY!

A danged old dandlelion too is just a weed, but you know, without it, we have already lost a huge community of bees because people do not want it and well, without the bees.. oh how I can go on. But then people don't want to hear how important the lousy little bee and the bees sons are to the food supply in our lives anymore now do they. Well,guess when its up and gone, then they will listen.

Yup, people being what they are...don't that beat all.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2009
4:26 PM

Post #6202031

Too me, this little fella says it all... he lives in my garden and in is hatched the sandbog and well, isn't his environment worth protecting? If he can co-exist in my domestic garden and be raised in the sandbog...why cant neighbors do the same?

Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 28, 2009
8:39 PM

Post #6203073

I love that blue frog. He is so pretty.
Samigal
(Pegi) Norwalk, CA
(Zone 10b)

February 28, 2009
11:22 PM

Post #6203802

All flowers and gardens are beautiful. I truly enjoyed looking at all the pictures. Gives me an incentive to get out in my small yard and start grooming it.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2009
12:33 PM

Post #6205523

Frogs are important to the ecosystem. They are indicators of how healthy it is!
If a frog does not have a healty place to be birthed in, the population declines. Can you imagine yourself without water? Well if a frogs pond goes stagnant, he will die. And if you do not have water.. well.. you cannot exist either!

Can you imagine seeing trillions of these little guys hopping about when they exit their birth place? I can, I have seen it! It is amazing! The frog exodus from the pond is one of natures astounding miracles! Gazillions of froglets hopping about making the ground look like it is alive!

This frog in my photo, when he is an adult, he is no bigger than the thumbnail photo you see! Can you imagine the billions of mosquitos that those little guys can eat? I can! Becasue when my bog is working there are very few mosqiutos! And when it is disturbed.. Oh my.

drumlin
Rockport, ME
(Zone 5b)

March 1, 2009
12:37 PM

Post #6205529

Oooo, BB, you took the words right out of my mouth. People just don't respect anything, they think they can do whatever they want. Actually, your experience is exactly what I'm afraid of if I did buy a larger piece of property. I'm really very territorial. I wouldn't DREAM of walking across someone else's property without their permission, never mind hunting or riding ATV's on it!! But other's think nothing of it. The vast majority of Americans are ignorant, over aggressive morons, sorry, they are. We instill "independence" in our kids, but forget to mention "respect others", because that might be seen as weak. *Whew*, Sunday morning, deep breaths...I'm sorry you're frustrated, but you're doing the right thing, and that's the best you can do. GOOD JOB!!!!!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2009
1:12 PM

Post #6205612

Thank you! We try. Its a difficult thing dealing with the morons!

They realize not what they do.

Let me tell you something. A few years back the bog suffered. The mosquitos were terrible. We had West Nile in the area. I know because one of my my horses got it. We also had a miracle happen that year.. and while the mare got West Nile, She survived. She was 25 years old at the time and today she is coming 29.

Can you imagine if the bog did not revive? While that horse did get WN, the care we gave her surely was adequate because it is typically that most horses her age would have died. She out lived the odds and is still going strong.

Our vet said we were doing something good in our management for us to be blessed for her survival to occur. While down the road one of our neighbors horse passed away. Now you figure this one out...the year she got it, we gave no shots. The neighbor.. gave all the shots in the world to his and he lost his. Go figure.

My husband and I, we live outside...we get bit up too.. yet we got no West Nile...and that year, the mosquitos were thick. I mean thick like I had never seen it before.

Dave47
Southern, CT
(Zone 6a)

March 1, 2009
3:26 PM

Post #6206089

I have about 9/10ths of an acre. Almost none of it is wooded, so I have quite a bit to garden.
WaterCan2
Eastern Long Island, NY
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2009
4:52 PM

Post #6206425

So true BB, sadly so true. The quality of life can be so adversely affected by ones neighbors. You can pick out a beautiful house with everything you ever wanted but if you have bad neighbors it can turn into a living hell. All it takes is a good neighbor to leave or pass away and be replaced with someone who is self centered and indifferent, (aka moron). I’ve been very lucky so far in regards to my neighbors but am aware that ‘things’ can change literally in an instant!

Beautiful horse!
rsstarr
Ozark, AR

March 1, 2009
5:35 PM

Post #6206654

We have 1.5 acres in a subdivision just across the river outside of town. Across the road is a big nice field...I am very jealous. The back corner of our property is going to be a vegetable garden.
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2009
8:18 PM

Post #6207271

I have enjoyed so much reading, and seeing photos of peoples places.
Gardens can truly grow anywhere a gardener is planted.
I have almost 7 acres. The lower half is left wilderness. There is a creek with beaver,owls,dear,hawks,raccoons, all live free. After all they were here first .
On the east we have a stand of about 50 very large pines.
The front is horse pasture, and the house sits on about an acre I use for my gardens. I have veggies in a picket fence 36x36 and flower borders on all the perimeters.

Thumbnail by gardengus

gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2009
8:21 PM

Post #6207281

This is mt front ''yard'' horse pasture. For a horse lover they are as beautiful sight as any flower.

Thumbnail by gardengus

Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 1, 2009
8:31 PM

Post #6207317

Really like your little piece of heaven. Indiana is my birthplace also.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2009
9:13 PM

Post #6207518

Watercan2, thanks and you are so right..

Here is a pic of the sand pond where the frogs are born. It was taken on a good year when the pond was up.

I will show you a year too when it was dry and that is why they call it a sand pond sand prairie! It is pretty awesome in its own way.

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2009
9:40 PM

Post #6207633

And here is the sand pond.. dry!

A whole new ball game there! But you have to understand that a sand pond is a very shallow pond. More like a bog, but yet different.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 1, 2009
11:23 PM

Post #6208096

That sand pond pic looks like a Monet painting.
gardener105
Bend, OR
(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2009
11:26 PM

Post #6208111

BB, I too have zillions of frogs in the summer. When the GK's come they love catching these little guys.
They catch a few then release them. We have a concrete cistern That holds 15,00 gallons of water and every time I lift the lid to check the depth of the water there's at least a dozen or more under it. I've had them jump on my chest, shoulder and head.

This message was edited Mar 1, 2009 3:28 PM

Thumbnail by gardener105

Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 1, 2009
11:32 PM

Post #6208131

Here's one of my toads who live in the courtyard and have a pond of their own.

This message was edited Mar 1, 2009 3:33 PM

Thumbnail by Willowwind2

gardener105
Bend, OR
(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2009
11:34 PM

Post #6208148

Love the pics of your pond. And I love these little guys.

Thumbnail by gardener105

Willowwind2
Union, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 1, 2009
11:41 PM

Post #6208176

Cute!
gardener105
Bend, OR
(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2009
11:43 PM

Post #6208183

I have one of the little guys living here in the house for the winter. I don't know what he/she is eating but it's been staying in one of my house plants. One of my cats tried to get it the other night as it was on the dining room floor. I just picked it up and put it one of my house plants. I hope it survives for a little while longer so I can put it outside when I start hearing the frogs at night.
Susan105

Thumbnail by gardener105

gardener105
Bend, OR
(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2009
11:44 PM

Post #6208189

Thanks Patricia! I like your toad.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

March 2, 2009
1:08 AM

Post #6208528

We have plenty of toads & spring peepers sound off from a pond down the road. Way to early now.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2009

Post #6208924

Frogs!! Toads??? LOL!! I knew there was others with them out there!

Hear ye, here ye!! Now come on over and bring ALL YOUR hoppers!!!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/953765/

icanfindroom
Anchorage, AK

March 2, 2009
4:06 AM

Post #6209272

Wow! All fabulous pictures, I am drooling lol!

I just moved to my place in September, just in time to rip out some lawn and squeeze a few bulbs in and a couple of daylilies on clearance at the nurseries. It is a postage stamp, currently all lawn & deck. It's not easy to rip this particular lawn out as I found, I was so tired I didn't make it far. Out went my dream layout and in went the bulbs in their new compressed design. Dreaming of spring to get back to it.

My old yard was 1/3 acre. My exH was always yelling at me for ripping out lawn there but I needed more space!!!! ;) I miss that yard but look forward to cramming this one full.

irisMA

irisMA
South Hamilton, MA

March 2, 2009
4:35 AM

Post #6209410

Good for you. Be patient, the plants will come.
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2009
4:59 AM

Post #6209476

Here is what we savor our sand pond for, it is the Sparganium americanum, otherwise known as the American bur reed. It is one of our endangered species of plants. It is also one of the habitat indicators that tell us how healthy the sand pond is. And when the pond is healthy, our frogs are happy! And when the frogs are happy!
WHoooohooo!

gardener105
Bend, OR
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2009
5:05 AM

Post #6209494

HOORAY FOR THE AMERICAN BUR REED AND THE FROGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BTW-where do you live that we have the some zone and same type of soil?
Susan105
LeePerk
Zolfo Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2009
5:17 AM

Post #6209535

I love looking at everyones gardens.

Thumbnail by LeePerk

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2009
5:45 AM

Post #6209598

I love looking at YOUR gardens. So pretty, Lee.
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2009
8:26 AM

Post #6209792

I have half an acre, which is woefully inadequate because I seem to be growing 5 acres of plants on it. I rarely take photos that aren't closeups because it's hard to see more than 5 feet in any direction.

Donna, your garden blows me away. I just love it!
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2009
1:39 PM

Post #6210288

Gardener105 - I am in Illinois. The American Bur reed is endangered here and so is the sand pond and and prairie. There are some very interesting stats on it.

I have to say, everyone here, your gardens are glorious! Keep up your good work!

SoCal
Huntington Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

March 2, 2009
2:42 PM

Post #6210584

ZuZu,

Which Donna, me? lol

Thanks alot,
Donna
phoenixryan
Mesa, AZ

March 2, 2009
2:47 PM

Post #6210612

Very nice garden yourself, LeePerk! That's a gorgeous coleus you have.
gardener105
Bend, OR
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2009
3:59 PM

Post #6210983

Thank you, I was kind of wondering since the the part of OR we live in is basically desert. Hot and dry in the summer, cold and dry in the winter. My furbabies and the other animals don't have to worry about fleas here either, TOO DRY! Hooray for the animals!
I would be so bored if I didn't have a garden. I love looking at everyone's beautiful gardens.
Susan105

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 2, 2009
4:44 PM

Post #6211208

Zuzu, that sums up me, except for the fact that my garden is even smaller! lol

Christie

Thumbnail by mrs_colla

FlipFlops
Brunswick , GA
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2009
5:08 PM

Post #6211308

Beautiful picture mrs colla. Remember the picture I showed everyone of my reading nook last summer. Here's what it looks like today! lol

Thumbnail by FlipFlops

BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2009
7:43 PM

Post #6211941

Flip Flops, I had to do a double take on that shot.. it loooked like mine from another angle!!!! LOL!

Nice!!
FlipFlops
Brunswick , GA
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2009
7:49 PM

Post #6211971

Thanks!!! But I prefer the one I had last summer lol
BLOSSOMBUDDY

(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2009
9:33 PM

Post #6212445

I hear ya on that one so... what was it last summer?... mine has a wisteria...I will have to look in the albumn to see if we got the same in color!! LOL

Jeez, twins and didnt know it, well, least as in the winter!!
HERBIE43
Rutland , MA
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2009
11:54 AM

Post #6307088

i have a little over an acre but the deer are the real owners so i garden in containers on my deck on top of a table which is 4 foot by 10 foot.

be suprised how many containers you can get on that table. LOL

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Voting Booth Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Type of lawn mower? dave 62 Nov 12, 2009 10:40 PM
Do you make compost? dave 52 Feb 22, 2010 8:05 PM
What's your one must-have gardening item? dave 195 Apr 6, 2012 2:46 PM
Botany Quiz: Monocarpic means dave 36 Sep 23, 2012 2:09 AM
How did you find out about DG? dave 149 Feb 9, 2011 12:48 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America