Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Peppers: Aleppo pepper?

Communities > Forums > Peppers
bookmark
Forum: PeppersReplies: 18, Views: 226
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Cleo1717
Knoxville, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2009
5:17 PM

Post #6178544

Anyone have a source where I can buy these or who would be willing to trade? I got hooked on this stuff from Penzeys a few months ago and I'm in love with it. I'm thinking about dehydrating some other kind of pepper this year after treating it with a little lemon juice since I remember reading somewhere that they're processed with a bit of lemon. If I can't find seeds, anyone have a recommendation about what kind I should try as a substitute?
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 5, 2009
8:58 AM

Post #6223809

read on to learn more http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_capsicum_cultivars , http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/equivalents_substitutions.asp?action=search , http://www.recipezaar.com/library/getentry.zsp?id=583 , http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysaleppopepper.html
p1mkw
Danville, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2009
1:32 PM

Post #6224245

Cleo, here's a source for some plants. This is the only place I've seen them.

http://www.thechilewoman.com/listofchiles/alphabet/#A
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 6, 2010
5:26 AM

Post #7534628

Cleo, you've got Dmail

This message was edited Feb 6, 2010 12:27 AM

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 7, 2010
12:27 PM

Post #7867342

Jill to the rescue--LOL--she's a treasure
mscheinost
Henderson, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2010
1:58 PM

Post #7903166

Cool, I've been trying to find these peppers for a couple of years.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 19, 2010
8:45 PM

Post #7904200

I've got seeds from well isolated plants that I saved last year... I sent out a few, but waited on the rest until I could see how they grew out this year. I'll try to save more seeds this year, also, but if I don't manage it I'll still have seeds to share, although there will just be a few in a packet so I can spread them around. This is a pepper that we need to get growing in the US! :-)
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 4, 2010
8:22 AM

Post #7942414

I sowed 5 seeds, got 3 plants and murdered one. The other 2 are doing great, and I will more than likely dig them up and over-winter them in the sunroom. The 4 plants I did that with last year, despite putting 2 of them out the night before a hard frost (major "duh-m"!), are going gang-busters.

Do you have some photos of your plants, Jill? I'd love to see what they are supposed to look like, and I'm sure yours rock! (Do these ripen to red? How big do the fruits get?)
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 4, 2010
11:27 AM

Post #7942822

photos are... somewhere... hmm... LOL My plants last year were in a pot, so they didn't really "rock" but did produce a few peppers... shape was like a small, skinny Gypsy pepper, and two of the plants had peppers that were maybe 2 inches long, third plant produced ones that were half again that size. They did ripen to red, with a nice tangy heat.
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 4, 2010
12:08 PM

Post #7942879

This is the smaller of my 2 plants, oddly producing sooner than the one that is taller and way fuller.

Thumbnail by Sequee
Click the image for an enlarged view.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 4, 2010
1:07 PM

Post #7942940

The shape of those peppers looks just like the ones I had last year. :-)
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 4, 2010
2:22 PM

Post #7943061

You're not growing them this year?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 4, 2010
6:44 PM

Post #7943565

I am, but I'm not sure they've set peppers yet this year. I've got a couple of plants I need to put into a bigger pot, also, so I can isolate them for seeds and also bring them inside in fall. I just haven't been able to get out to the garden this past week, hopefully next week I'll be a bit back on my feet. Chemo didn't knock me down quite as hard the second time, but I'm still pretty well a couch potato at present. I'll grow extra next year to make up for it!
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 4, 2010
6:54 PM

Post #7943584

CHEMO???? What the F***.

I'm obviously out of the loop, but I am deeply religious and will up you on the prayer list!!! Dear Girl - you WILL triumph!

VORTREKER

VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX
(Zone 7b)

July 4, 2010
7:29 PM

Post #7943667

Dear God Jill--we had no idea.
On prayer list
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 4, 2010
7:29 PM

Post #7943671

I'm sorry, didn't mean to knock you for a loop. I'm getting through it, and the chemo is kicking the cancer even harder than it's kicking me, so it's good! I've got a thread in the prayer forum where I've been posting about it, but I've sorta been letting the news spread itself. It's not really the kind of thing where you want to send out a Dmail blast "Hey, guess how I'm going to spend my summer vacation!?"

You know it kills me to watch my veggie garden out the window and not be able to walk down to it... and you can only imagine how the weeds are thriving! But tomatoes grow even through weeds. :-)

I appreciate your prayers!
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

July 4, 2010
7:59 PM

Post #7943727

Beyond prayers, my friend! I promise...a day will not go by that you are not thought of.

girl...you've been through too much...

You've got your baby and you WILL have your health.

Hugs and prayers to you...
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 5, 2010
5:06 AM

Post #7944146

Thanks, my friend. We'll get through this, no worries!
paracelsus
Elmira, NY
(Zone 6a)

July 6, 2010
6:21 AM

Post #7946823

I had no idea either, crit. May you get all the strength and will you need.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peppers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Name This Sweet, Sweet Pepper Tplant 117 Apr 3, 2008 12:24 AM
pepper plants started HERBIE43 7 Oct 11, 2007 12:56 PM
Hungarian Hot Wax Peppers - What Do You Do With Them? Breezymeadow 21 Mar 20, 2008 2:58 AM
fish peppers up and growing HERBIE43 32 Jul 24, 2009 8:35 PM
Peppers resource thread - opinions & suggestions, please Terry 13 Aug 31, 2010 10:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America