Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Dog Urine

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 53, Views: 469
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
NoGreenThumbnTN
Jackson, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2009
6:49 PM

Post #6178985

Seriously, is there anything at all that I can put around my bushes and plants to keep dogs from pee'ing on them?

I live on a dead end street. For the most part, it's a wonderful street with the exception of my neighbor that lives on the right side of me. For some reason, as soon as I start setting out things in my yard, he let's his dogs loose and the first thing they do is run straight into my yard to mark their territory. It's not their territory, it's mine!

I confronted the neighbor the whole growing season last year. Once, while watching his dog pee on one of my bushes, he had the nerve to say "How do you know it's my dog?"

Can anyone help with this problem?
DancingRabbit
Dolgeville, NY

February 23, 2009
7:07 PM

Post #6179048

dogs do not like the smell of citris mabe if you cut oranges in half or grape fruit and hang them from the branches it will not only attract oriols if they are in the are but keep dofgs away too also if you put moth balls around the ground by your bushes it will keep them away just becareful if you have small kids
NoGreenThumbnTN
Jackson, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2009
7:12 PM

Post #6179073

DancingRabbit,

How many moth balls would it take? Can I put these around my plants too?

Thanks so much!

Lisa
DancingRabbit
Dolgeville, NY

February 23, 2009
7:22 PM

Post #6179133

depending on the area a hand full here and there enough to cover areas where they would sniff also if you have randon citris peals you can toss them on the ground from time to time. I think farm supply companys like agway carry a product which is basicly crushed up moth balls with a few other things added to deture dogs and cats
DancingRabbit
Dolgeville, NY

February 23, 2009
7:29 PM

Post #6179171

yup you can put the around your plants too
NoGreenThumbnTN
Jackson, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2009
8:31 PM

Post #6179429

Looks like I'm off to buy moth balls...:)

plantfreak78

plantfreak78
Rolesville, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2009
8:41 PM

Post #6179472

There are also a few dog repellants on the market like this one: http://www.imustgarden.com/catalog/Dog_Cat_Repellent-15-1.html
Our nursery carries it but it's fairly new so I don't know how well it works. Their deer repellant is great...
2racingboys
Bartlett, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2009
10:05 PM

Post #6179823

interesting. I've got the exact same problem. So frustrating.
DancingRabbit
Dolgeville, NY

February 23, 2009
10:18 PM

Post #6179886

i had the same prob a few yrs ago i liver in arural town where no one cares what thier animals do i put moth balls down and had no prob but now i got kids so i cant do that lol so i have to use all natural stuff like citris most animals hate the smell and i totaly forgot if you plant some citrinella it will help too
dp72
Woodway, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2009
10:58 PM

Post #6180101

Buckshot makes them shy away, too.
2racingboys
Bartlett, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2009
12:29 AM

Post #6180484

umm buckshot??? What's that?
Is that a gun? lol
dp72
Woodway, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2009
2:03 AM

Post #6180910

My attorney has advised me to not elaborate on my original comment. ;>}
NoGreenThumbnTN
Jackson, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2009
2:26 AM

Post #6180985

dp72,

That's EXACTLY what my husband said!
NoGreenThumbnTN
Jackson, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2009
2:28 AM

Post #6180998

2racingboys,

Surely it's not just a Tennessee thing. My neighbor knows exactly when the Dog Catchers around here get off work, and of course, they don't work on the weekends, so he just let's his dogs run wild then.

I am so going for those moth balls!

Lisa
DancingRabbit
Dolgeville, NY

February 24, 2009
2:32 AM

Post #6181010

good:) i know your prob dog catchers around here totaly adore my niebors and wont do anything but they always call them on my dogs when they have done nothing my dogs are ex seeing eye dogs and would not hurt a fly and are never loose lol moth balls do wonders
2racingboys
Bartlett, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2009
2:46 AM

Post #6181066

dp72, that's hilarious! lol I had to read that like 3 times to figure it out earlier. lol - yes, I'm blonde XD

ngttn- wanna race? lol I am soooo going for the moth balls too. lol
Who knew? :D

dipsydoodle
Newcastle upon Tyne
United Kingdom

February 24, 2009
11:14 AM

Post #6182012

Cayen pepper is apprantly good to put down.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 24, 2009
7:36 PM

Post #6184283

As a responsible owner it really gets me when people let their pets run amuck. Can you get a pic of the dog peeing on your property? I would not put down moth balls, just think how bad they are for our earth they stink to high heaven and dont really work. Citrus wont work either,that wouldnt stop my rottie.You need to call your town and complain, if that doesnt work I'd be calling the local papers and news stations. I'd watch the time the dog is out and make sure the owner see's you taking pictures. Good Luck
Christine
texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 24, 2009
7:49 PM

Post #6184339

If a neighbor doesn't care enough about his dog to make certain it stays home then he won't care if you got rid of it for him, but first get the pictures. That same dog probably poops in your yard as well.

Jerry
NoGreenThumbnTN
Jackson, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2009
10:43 PM

Post #6185146

Last summer I stood in my neighbor's driveway arguing with him about his dogs. As I was 'complaining' about his dog peeing on my plants, he said to me "How do you know it's my dog?" I said to him "LOOK...That's your dog right there with his leg hiked up peeing on my plants right now!" He called the dog. The dog would not come. My husband called the dog catcher. The dog catcher gave the neighbor a warning. The dog catcher left. The neighbor let the dog right back out to pee in my yard yet again.
dp72
Woodway, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2009
4:29 AM

Post #6186915

and then what?
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2009
12:42 PM

Post #6187566

Our city/county will loan us an appropriately sized animal trap for problem animals. You could bait it with dog food, try to trap the dog, then keep him until you can get the dog catcher out to pick him up (or deliver him yourself). I would highly recommend taking those pictures first though so you have proof that (1) the dog has been running free when he's not supposed to and (2) he's damaging your landscaping. In the meantime, I've successfully used pine cones around plants--they're free and they make a good deterrent as critters don't like walking on them.
NoGreenThumbnTN
Jackson, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2009
3:36 PM

Post #6188208

dp

That is how the whole summer went. Dog got out. Dog pee'd. Called dog catcher. Dog catcher gave warning. Dog catcher left. Dog got out. Dog pee'd. Called dog catcher. Dog catcher gave warning. Dog catcher left. Dog got out. On and on and on all summer long.

Pine cones. I'll try that. I have several trees on the back lot.

Thanks!
dp72
Woodway, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2009
4:08 PM

Post #6188334

You shouldn't have to put out pine cones or anything else. The problem is that your neighbor is irresponsible. HE should be doing something (controlling his dog), not you. Do you have city councilmen where you live? Is there an ordinance against letting dogs roam loose without being on a leash?
NoGreenThumbnTN
Jackson, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2009
11:04 PM

Post #6190001

I know it's the neighbor that has the problem, but he refuses to do anything about it at all. I talked to our city mayor on a talk radio show. He actually told me that if my only concern was a dog roaming around my yard occasionally, then I must live in a pretty good neighborhood. There are leash laws here, but no one will enforce them.
dp72
Woodway, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2009
11:40 PM

Post #6190149

Your mayor sounds like an idiot. Does he not think laws ought to be obeyed? In my neighborhood, people go ballistic if a dog even barks, much less runs loose! A couple had to move because they wouldn't leash their weimeraner (sp). After ONE warning, people are cited and assessed a heavy fine. What do the police say? The animal control people? Your city councilman? I know it sounds easy for me to say, but have you gone before the city council and asked why animal control won't enforce the law? Have you given photos of the dog doing his thing in your yard on your plants to the newspaper along with a letter about the incompetence of the city govt. in enforcing the leash law? I'd make a big deal about being out there with a camera a lot and I'd keep a log of every time this happened along with pictures. Sooner or later somebody will be embarrassed enough to do his job. This AIN'T FUNNY!
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2009
12:09 AM

Post #6190293

I know someone who has flung poop back into the right yard, up close to their front door. I will not reveal names. I'd for sure blast the dog with a fire hose every time he lifts his leg, AFTER I had pictures.
2racingboys
Bartlett, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 26, 2009
2:13 AM

Post #6190895

yep, I know someone who has left a "pile" on their front porch for when they open the front door ... yeppers. Not nice, but maybe they'll get the picture. I have actually thought of doing that myself a time or two.
What are they going to do? Call the cops? lol

cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2009
2:19 AM

Post #6190933

Now this person doesn't put it on the front porch, just close enough to make sure they smell it.
2racingboys
Bartlett, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 26, 2009
2:20 AM

Post #6190941

that is the "nice" thing to do. lol

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2009
1:33 PM

Post #6192403

If you can afford it check out the motion sensor water thing that they sell to deter deer, I dont know what its called but I have seen them on some of the gardening shows. I also agreed the mayor sounds like a real jerk and a half.
Christine
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

February 26, 2009
10:56 PM

Post #6194996

LOL! Hand-delivered doggie poo reminds me of when I was a kid. We had neighbors who had several dogs that always came into our yard to do their business and my dad made my older brother pick it all up. My brother got tired of it so he finally picked up several fresh piles, boxed and neatly wrapped them, put the neighbors address on it and put it in their mailbox. Every kid in the neighborhood was hiding behind bushes to watch when they got their "mail." To our great disappointment they took it inside to open. I'd have loved to be a fly on the wall when they opened it. It did solve the problem with the dogs coming into our yard so obviously they got the message :-}
2racingboys
Bartlett, TN
(Zone 7b)

February 27, 2009
12:16 AM

Post #6195290

now that's the way to do it. lol lol SURPRISE! XD

blomma

blomma
Casper, WY
(Zone 4a)

March 7, 2009
4:40 AM

Post #6232093

DancingRabbit is right as far as moth balls. I have used it for the same reason around my evergreens. However, it also comes as flakes which is safer if you have young children. Lightly scratch it into the ground. Walmart carries it.
beadmom
Bend, OR
(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2009
12:40 AM

Post #6239892

Paintball gun. Then when he says how do you know it's my dog? You can say because your dog is the one with the blue A**!...and hopefully doggie will go home with wet paint...You can hope for a cream or white carpet at their house...or white walls...

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE DOGS... I have 4. I don't let them loose to poop/pee in other people's yards.

I have seven kids. My kids will tell you. Don't mess with mom. She thinks up stuff you don't want to contemplate...

Ginger
sgsidekick
Vancouver, WA

March 11, 2009
3:16 AM

Post #6250144

I have a psycho neighbor who accused me of trying to poison his cats when I put mothballs out. I was just doing like my mom and grandmother. To my surprise, the vet said that yes, they are poisonous to cats and possibly other critters because said critters are sometimes brainless and try to EAT them. This has definitely caused a rift between my neighbor and I...as well as me calling his wife's daughter when he was screaming obscenities at her outside one day. Oh well. Just be warned about the mothballs! They can prove fatal to some idiot animal who tries to eat them.

blomma

blomma
Casper, WY
(Zone 4a)

March 11, 2009
6:19 AM

Post #6250530

sgsidekick
Sorry about the rift between you and your neighbor. However, you have the right to protect your property and plants. It is your neighbor's job to be a responsible cat owner by keeping his pet in the house. Cats do not have to be outside. My daughter's cat is never outside, nor is my son's.

A pet running loose is more apt to get hit by a car, than to eat a moth ball.

Do what you need to do.
Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 11, 2009
1:16 PM

Post #6251016

I've seen motion sensor high pressure sprinklers called scarecrows, I think that's the name. Dog comes near, sets it off and gets a blast of water. I'm still searching locally for the Liquid Fence. It may work for you too, but has to be reapplied every month.
DancingRabbit
Dolgeville, NY

March 11, 2009
8:27 PM

Post #6252723

yup i agree with blomma. plus most animals wont eat moth balls or the fllakes most animals are not as brainless as people think

blomma

blomma
Casper, WY
(Zone 4a)

March 12, 2009
5:27 AM

Post #6254952

DancingRabbit Thank you for your support.
sgsidekick
Vancouver, WA

March 13, 2009
3:48 AM

Post #6259623

I've been trying to find plants that will repel cats to plant in my front flower garden. I also planted creeping thyme to fill in around them. I got something today called Critter Ridder to hopefully repel the Chihuahua from down the road. His owner has evidently never heard of that new invention called a "Leash". He's out working on his truck or something in his front yard, and his darned dog is a half a block down the street, barking at me in my own front yard! I have high hopes for this Critter Ridder stuff, but maybe a slingshot will work, too.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 13, 2009
3:57 AM

Post #6259665

Or maybe you could "accidentally" have the garden hose pointing in his direction when he wanders into your yard.
NoGreenThumbnTN
Jackson, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2009
12:13 PM

Post #6260451

You all have some very wonderful...and colorful ideas! I put out the moth ball flakes...kinda raked them into the ground as suggested. It's rained very hard here since I put them down. After it slacks up today I need to check and see if they have washed away...washed right into my neighbors yard. Now wouldn't that be something...if my prevention for his dogs ended up in his own yard!

Thanks for all your replys...and ideas...and stories!

Lisa
texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 13, 2009
2:29 PM

Post #6260882

Should not the burden of having to spend money to keep your neighbor's dog home be on that neighbor????

If I have to spend money to control my neighbor's pets, I will eliminate the pet. I would expect no more or less from my neighbors in regards to my pets that I cannot control.

My $0.02.
NoGreenThumbnTN
Jackson, TN
(Zone 7b)

March 13, 2009
7:19 PM

Post #6261987

Texasrockgarden,

Of course it should be...but...he has already proven that he has no intention of doing what is 'right'. For that reason...and because I want to protect my plants...I have to do something about it...:)

Lisa
beadmom
Bend, OR
(Zone 5a)

March 13, 2009
7:32 PM

Post #6262034

uhhhmmm...When we were kids we used to scoop up the neighbor's dog poop from our yard and leave it in jumbo dog food bags on his porch...(Occasionally on fire.)Possibly sometimes our back yard dog poop was used for augmentation.

"Best Poopy Stuff of All Time"

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://inventorspot.com/files/images/DogPoopILOVEU.img_assist_custom.jpg&imgrefurl=http://inventorspot.com/best_crappy_stuff_of_all_time&usg=__oxzFGchJ8AmKNroFCuC524b5xqE=&h=270&w=425&sz=104&hl=en&start=4&tbnid=-9wRsa4k0ziWcM:&tbnh=80&tbnw=126&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddog%2Bpoop%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG

Too funny!!!!!

Ginger

Thumbnail by beadmom
Click the image for an enlarged view.

DancingRabbit
Dolgeville, NY

March 13, 2009
8:30 PM

Post #6262224

other plants that repel dogs are citronella lemon balm, lemon grass, lemon and citronella geraniums and for all you souther fl people citris bushes and trees wich i am very envious of lol
Mojoquilter
Wichita, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 14, 2009
12:27 AM

Post #6263201

how about planting some cactus then spraying it with something that smells really good to a dog?
mbhoakct76
Winsted, CT

March 14, 2009
1:23 AM

Post #6263470

How in the world is this guy getting that many warnings without a fine???? Everywhere i ever lived - 1 warning is a warning, how many times can you warn someone???!! I have 3 dogs , they are all problemed dogs adopted after they left bad situations , they all had terrible manners by habit, but dogs are total creatures of habit and with a little reinforcement - you can change their habits easily, obviously their owner is lacking in manners himself haha..
Anyway - i did try the cheyenne pepper and citrus powder from the hardware store to keep my own dogs out of the garden , it works to some extent - as long as the dogs sniff the ground, but if they are not sniffers - it wont stop them, one of my dogs just runs - he dont sniff at all and it didnt stop him at all. plus it has to be re-applied often.
Most dogs hate being sprayed with water - i actually learned a little spray with the hose once in a while was enough to teach em where they dont belong, and the lesson lasted through out the summer. like i said creatures of habit.
A motion activated water sprayer would be awesome- from experience i would think that it would definately work good to keep away the dog .
I did a quick search on google and found they can be purchased for around $50-$60.
I found the scarecrow by contech like someone else mentioned, and a havahart model that was the same thing alittle cheaper. Suppose to be easy hook up to a garden hose.
If thats in your budget - it might be worth checking out. here is one of the links
http://www.amazon.com/Havahart-5265-Motion-Activated-Repellent/dp/B000BO71NY

This message was edited Mar 13, 2009 9:43 PM
tickandtock
Ravena, NY

March 14, 2009
12:14 PM

Post #6264853

I have had this problem but found the perfect solution.Get a nice bottle of wine or a couple of good beers,Then read this by an Irish poet.It works every time!

"It is from those days that I take belief that the best of life is lived quietly,"
"Where nothing happens but our calm journey through the day,where change is imperceptible and precious life is everything.''
McGahern.

If that doesn't do it try this product. Bonide repels all animal repellent. Its all natural and repels dogs cats deer etc.Its sold at Lowes. All the best .Mike

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 14, 2009
12:31 PM

Post #6264893

GreenThumb--

Jumping in here...
Many, Many years ago--I used to sell Tupperware. They made these Popsicle makers. A set of 6 . They had a snap-on lid with a slot in it for the stick.

I remember one of the other uses was to fill them with ammonia, put the lid on and bury them around your bushes--leaving just the top exposed--to keep dogs away from your shrubs.

I am sure you could find some kind of Popsicle makers nowadays---maybe even in $$ stores. It seems safer than Moth Balls...

I have never had a dog so I can't vouch for this in a personal level...

Gita
LadyAethelwyne
Harriman, TN

March 14, 2009
3:41 PM

Post #6265580

It's really hard when your neighbors are all related to you! My Aunt's grandson has dogs and cats they let run loose. When they get run over, they just buy him more. I get cat prints all over my car, and I was working some really nice dirt out of clay, adding newspaper and pine bark etc, and when I finished, the cat used it as a litter box. I yelled at the cat and it just looked at me like, "do you mind? I'm trying to do my business here". I haven't caught the newest dog in my yard yet, it just stands between our driveways and barks at me all the time. It visits my sister's dog, who is on a leash. We asked her to keep the dog away from my sister's, and my Aunt said "Boy, can't have animals around here!"
This is the same Aunt who has a full grown mimosa tree that sends about 40 seedlings into my butterfly garden each year, aargh.
But, it's also the same Aunt who brings us produce from her garden, cooks up her beans and sends them to us, bakes my dad diabetic cakes just because she loves us...so what can you do (grin).
When I can afford it, I'm getting a white picket fence put up. Fences make good neighbors!
(PS I put out mothballs last year to deter snakes, and wish I hadn't. They stink to high heaven and give me a headache, and have lots of warnings on them about poison risk. I don't think I'll use them again).
TwiggyTex
Beaumont, TX

September 4, 2010
1:25 PM

Post #8080263

I have the same problem with my neighbors mutts, they let them run loose twice a day. We shoot BB's at them but they are fearless. I'm thinking of luring them to my van and hauling them off to the pound. But they'd probably just get some more dogs within 24 hrs. they also tear up the newspaper; I've crumpled it all in a wad and stuffed it in their mailbox but they are just too stupid to give a care. I have cats but they are all spayed, they have no reason to wander out of my yard. why are some pet owners so brainless and inconsiderate?

Thumbnail by TwiggyTex
Click the image for an enlarged view.

blomma

blomma
Casper, WY
(Zone 4a)

September 4, 2010
8:17 PM

Post #8080857

Instead of mothballs, try the mothflakes. They are less obvious to kids but works the same. I have used both to keep male dogs from my evergreens, gargage can, and also in training my own dog to leave my houseplants alone when she was a puppy.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America