Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Superfruit ~ Goji Berry, Lycium barbarum: Acai

Communities > Forums > Article: Superfruit ~ Goji Berry, Lycium barbarum
bookmark
Forum: Article: Superfruit ~ Goji Berry, Lycium barbarumReplies: 1, Views: 35
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
donkeytail
Sierra Vista, AZ

February 23, 2009
7:13 PM

Post #6179078

Do you think it would grow in the high desert? I live in Sierra Vista, AZ. I think I am zone 8b,9a? Arid and hot environment, with monsoons in July and August, with heavy winds spring and throughout the year lately and cold in winter with temps in the teens.

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2009
8:13 PM

Post #6179363

Hi,

Do you mean the Goji or the Acai? PlantFiles has information available on both Superfruits. Goji: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/63945/ and Acai: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/59773/

It is always a good idea to verify with the growers. I can pass on your question to a grower and get back to you, but I believe Goji is hardy to zone 5 and supposed to handle 20 degrees below F, and as high as 110 degrees F. The spot where you are considering planting a Goji plant should be well-draining, especially if you get periods of monsoon weather.

The Acai, on the other hand, has completely different growing requirements. An article with information about the Acai palm will be coming out, hopefully, some time in March here on Dave's Garden.

I hope this helps,
~Diana

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Superfruit ~ Goji Berry, Lycium barbarum Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great information! LLMac 4 Feb 23, 2009 1:02 PM
Thanks for the information rebeccanne 3 Feb 23, 2009 7:44 PM
Good phicks 1 Feb 23, 2009 12:37 PM
Another one! Aunt_A 1 Feb 23, 2009 12:51 PM
Where to buy Wolfberry trees? Windancingwilow 3 Feb 25, 2009 12:20 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America