AuthorContent
maggidew
(Maggi) Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2009
9:20 PM

Post #6179612

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/803019/ The Recipe

A Note: Measure out really hot tap water and dissolve the Epsom Salt in it first - LOL!

Originally kenboy posted this one:

2 cups water
1 12 oz can of beer
1/2 cup household ammonia
1 cup Epsom salt
12 drops Tea Tree oil
1/4 cup unsulphured molasses
1/4 cup liquid seaweed (Kelp)

Kell posted this one:

12 oz beer
1 cup Epsom salts
1/2 cup ammonia
2 cup water
1/2 cup molasses (I use black strap)
4 tbs bloom booster
vit B12 (I use 250-500mg)

You use 1 tablespoon per gallon of warm water.

Teresa_in_BC posted:

12 oz beer
1 cup epsom salts
1/2 cup ammonia
2 cups water
4 tbsp Bloombooster
4 tbsp Miracle-Gro
1/2 cup molasses

Mix together and store in tightly capped 1 litre bottle or jar. Does not require refrigeration.

To use: mix 1 tbsp in 1 gallon of water and apply every 2 weeks.

jestelleoan posted:

12oz of beer
1cup of epsom salts
1/2 cup ammonia
1/4 cup if molasses
1 to 3 drops of Tea Tree Oil
1 to 3 drops of Superthrive
2 cups of water
1 to 2 tablespoons of mix to a gal. of water.

kenboy later posted this revision:

2 cups of water
1, 12 oz can of beer
1/2 cup of household ammonia
1 cup of Epsom salt
3 Tablespoons of Tea Tree oil
1/4 cup of molasses
1/2 liquid seaweed ( Kelp )
1/2 cup of garlic spray
1/2 cup of Humate Tea

1 to 2 tablespoons per gallon of water

There was a discussion about seedlings getting burned

ZZsBabiez posted:

2 cups of water
1 bottle beer
1/2 cup ammonia
1 cup of Epsom salt
12 drops Tea Tree oil
1/4 cup of molasses
1/2 liquid Age Old Kelp
2Tbs Miracle Grow
xeriscape8321
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

February 24, 2009
1:45 AM

Post #6180823

Question. With zz's recipe how much liquid old age kelp is used? It just says 1/2.
maggidew
(Maggi) Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2009
2:18 AM

Post #6180956

Aha! I guess I'd better Dmail and ask 1/2 of what! LOL! I just copied and pasted what was on the thread from last year. I'm thinking 1/2 cup.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 24, 2009
3:14 AM

Post #6181169

I mix up two kinds of Mix, one for Brugs and one for MGs and bloomers... one I use MGtomatoe feed in (for brugs) and the other I use bllom buster in ( for MGS) one gal is red the other is blue green LOL
I still have no kelp so use the Kens' recipe, only with the miracle grow for tomatoes or Bloom buster and dissolve a 1000 mg of b12 tablet
I do however add a table spoon of peroxide to each gallon.. seems to work good when I spray it on the soil around the plants hope I didn't confuse everyone too bad I just confused myself! LOL (ageratum bloom)

Thumbnail by joeswife
Click the image for an enlarged view.

maggidew
(Maggi) Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2009
3:29 AM

Post #6181254

Joeswife, could you list out all the ingredients of the 2 different ones? I'm thinking I may use one on our tomato plants!

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 24, 2009
3:57 AM

Post #6181386

2 cups of water
1, 12 oz can of beer
1/2 cup of household ammonia
1 cup of Epsom salt
3 Tablespoons of Tea Tree oil
1/4 cup of molasses
3 tablespoons Tomatoe food (miracle grow)
1 B12 1000 mg tablet
3 tbls. peroxide
I add two table spoons of this to Hot water to mix with and use it in all my sprayer bottles
as well as my soil water.. this is what I use on my Brugs and tomatoes and hibiscus

for MGs I substitute with Bloom Buster ( in the watering cans)
I mist those with plain distilled water
hope this helps! Debra

for bloom forcing I use Bloom Buster instead but same receipe...

Thumbnail by joeswife

jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2009
4:28 AM

Post #6181528

I think I'm going to be one spraying fool this year - The Recipe, worm tea, & EM1. I have a really good hose-end sprayer,
and over the boring winter, I purchased a siphon mixer like this one
http://www.growerssolution.com/page/GS/PROD/siphon/yellowsiphon. I can't say if it works or not, since I haven't tried it yet. One day soon when it's not too cold to play in water I'll give it a try & let everyone know how/if it works.

It looks like I'll be spraying something every week.!

Jo-Ann
lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 24, 2009
1:53 PM

Post #6182374

Deb you can use this stuff on Hibiscus' also??
How about Datura's??
Darlacooper
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2009
1:59 PM

Post #6182407

Excuse my ignorance, but where do you get your tea tree oil? Thanks

Darla
angel_tree_baby
Chickenville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2009
2:27 PM

Post #6182562

Which recipe was the original one for the epiphyllums? I forget now lol. I think it orignally came from there and then was tweaked to suit the brugs but I can't remember which was the original...I want to make some for my epis now.
angel_tree_baby
Chickenville, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2009
2:28 PM

Post #6182568

Darla you can sometimes find teatree oil in the pharmacy section at walmart etc.

This message was edited Feb 24, 2009 9:29 AM

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

February 24, 2009
2:38 PM

Post #6182619

Phylllis: I use the brug mix on all my tropicals .. just not on the MGS.. I don't have any daturas up that are out of the incubator yet... ( they are still without true leaves)
lilsista59
(Phyllis) Osceola, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 24, 2009
2:50 PM

Post #6182694

4 of my Dats came up..not in an incubator..LOL
Just in the same pot my mature one passed on in..
And their working on their first set of true leaves...
I'm having problems keeping trop. hibiscus's alive after they sprout...
napdognewfie
Cumberland, MD
(Zone 6a)

February 24, 2009
5:42 PM

Post #6183721

Here's the one I use. I sprayed everything but the cactus & they all loved it.

2 cups water
1 12 oz beer
1/2 cup household ammonia (unscented)
1 cup Epsom Salts
3 Tbl Tea Tree oil
1/4 cup unsulphured molasses
1/2 cup liquid seaweed (Kelp)
1/2 cup garlic spray
1/2 cup MG or Peters
1 tsp Superthrive
1 cup Humates or compost tea-
(Humic acid & Fulvic acid which aid
the plant in taking up nutrients)
---
I use this on house & garden plants & in the veggie garden. mix 1 tablespoon in 1 gallon of water. Foliar spray daily, Spray on leaves or seeds. Use diluted on seedlings once they have their first set of true leaves.
---
other options
4 tbs bloom booster
vitamin B12 500-1000 mg

Linda

This message was edited Feb 25, 2009 10:45 AM
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2009
4:09 AM

Post #6204877

Well.. I guess I should post my take on the recipe.. slightly revised for products here.. I make up 4 batches together at a time.. the following is for 1 batch..

2 1/2 cups of water [ Iuse a little more.. water as I use a powered seaweed product ]
1, 12 oz can of beer
1/2 cup of household ammonia.. [ non detergent ]
1 cup of Epsom salt
1 OZ of Tea Tree oil...
1/4 cup of molasses [ un sulphered... Black Strap ]
2 tablespoons Maxi Crop [ powdered seaweed concentrate ]
10 drops of superthrive
1 tablespoon Liquid Humus [Technaflora plant products 15% Humic acid ]
2 tablespoons Formula X [ Cornucopia Plus ]
4 tablespoons Miracle Grow..[ their standard one early in the year for growing.. OR the
MG..Bloom Booster used later in the season for flowering ]
I spray daily..a splash.. in 2 liters..wondered how much that splash was..so I checked..looks like 4 Tbs /2 liters... MMMM might be a bit stiff.. compared to others...
I spray my cactus.. brugs.. plumeria.. and everything.. the cat usually leaves her spot under the plumeria when spraying starts.. Outside I spray the lawn also..
I also use a bit in my water.. maybe 6 Tbs / 5 Gallons water.. along with 5 Tbs. MG there .. The seedlings are doing just fine with the daily sprayings ]
Shake well before each use.. it does settle out some..w/salts on the bottom
astcgirl
Brandon, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 1, 2009
4:50 PM

Post #6206409

Thank you for these great recipes, I will be using it this year on my Co-op bought brugs. One question, I've noticed from reading that some of you spray everything in your garden (much easier) is it ok on food plants? ie...peppers, herbs, mango, citrus trees? it certainly would be alot easier to attach the hose sprayer and just spray everything but just wanted your input, I have a lot of mixed up plants inbetween my brugs & plumeria's etc.

Also anyone had any "do not spray" plants? My vietnamese gardenia buds turn brown if they get sprayed, although the plant itself likes it.

Sorry if this has been answered before.
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2009
8:39 PM

Post #6207357

ASTC .. ell Iread few few postings one said she didn't do her cactus.. Ido.. seems fine for mine.. the other said she didn't do her Japanese morning glories.. spray mine as well..
As far as food plants... there's nothing in there that's not orgaic.. the tea tree oil in the quanities I use it in might aftr amonth or two impart the taste of it.. but I'd imagine it would be minimal.. and a good bit ould just ash off.. you could always stop a month or so before harvest.. the hose end sprayer.. might dilute it too much to be real effective.. but it surely wouldn't hurt them..
napdognewfie
Cumberland, MD
(Zone 6a)

March 1, 2009
8:45 PM

Post #6207390

I used it on flowers, veggies, grapes & berries, fruit trees & shrubs. The only thing that didn't like it was the cactus. I think it was too much nitrogen to suit it.

Linda
astcgirl
Brandon, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 1, 2009
9:27 PM

Post #6207567

thank you for answering my questions, I guess I was more worried that the Ammonia wouldn't be safe on food plants (because of it's label warnings) but as you said, it's such a small amount when it's diluted. Plus here in Florida with the rains each day in the growing season it will probably dilute it even more so.
kathy65468
Eunice, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 1, 2009
9:40 PM

Post #6207635

It is way too dilute to worry about. Along with the massive dilution you are only spraying it. If you swallowed the amount as liquid that gets on the plant it would not hurt you. It would taste nasty but would not cause harm. I do not know how much nasty bacteria grows in it and everything when it sits so long after you make it so I would want to rinse off any vegetables before eating but I do that anyway. It will rinse right off with the bug poo LOL

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 2, 2009
3:00 AM

Post #6209005

ammonia has nitrogen in it so thats one thing plants love..
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

March 2, 2009
4:03 AM

Post #6209258

Yes... Ammonia contributes significantly to the nutritional needs of terrestrial organisms by serving as a precursor to foodstuffs and fertilizers...N H3 with water is what we buy..
Approximately 83% (as of 2003) of ammonia is used as fertilizers either as its salts or as solutions. Consuming more than 1% of all man-made power, the production of ammonia is a significant component of the world energy budget
Solutions of ammonia in water can be applied on the skin to lessen the effects of acidic animal poisons, especially insect poison and jellyfish poison..
I think it mixes with the other ingredents..to form other compounds.. the plants can use..alone... ammonia is about useless to plants..
maggidew
(Maggi) Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 2, 2009
4:09 AM

Post #6209281

I am planning to use the recipe on all of the plants here: vegetable and ornamental. I know what's in it and I trust it to do less harm to me and the environment than some of the alternatives :~)
AuntAnne
College Station, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 2, 2009
4:44 AM

Post #6209443

ok, a couple of questions that have prob. been answered in other threads but I'll ask here. How often do you spray (brugs and hibbies) and do you use other feeds at the same time? For ex. osmocote or miracle grow spray as usual?

Anne
maggidew
(Maggi) Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 2, 2009
12:27 PM

Post #6210043

Well, we sprayed the recipe every day last year in the hoophouses. I use Osmocote in the potting soil I mix up and have not noticed any bad effects using both. We don't use MiracleGro but I would imagine you can use it as often as you usually would. Or just include it as part of the recipe you use and use it once a week or whatever.
maggidew
(Maggi) Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 2, 2009
12:29 PM

Post #6210051

Oh forgot to add for anyone who wonders - kenboy is my DH, which is why I say 'we' like everybody knows - LOL!
napdognewfie
Cumberland, MD
(Zone 6a)

March 2, 2009
7:11 PM

Post #6211804

I use it in addition to my regular fertilizers. MG, Peters or generic grow formula at first, then I switch to bloom booster.

Linda

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

March 3, 2009
4:20 AM

Post #6214505

I love the way my hibs and brugs look so happy with Kens recipe.. thanks so much BOTH OF YOU! ;) Debra
PS: My roses love it too...
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 3, 2009
5:40 AM

Post #6214774

I used this last year with very good results. Even my bougie bloomed and it was the first time after being in the ground for some 10 years. But can I use this on ferns. I can't remember if I did last year or not and now I have a staghorn fern and I really want it to survive.
maggidew
(Maggi) Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 3, 2009
12:36 PM

Post #6215258

silverfluter

This is from Madagascar Tropicals A Platycerium Fern Nursery http://www.madagascartropicals.com/PlatyceriumStaghornFernCultivation/PlatyceriumStaghornFernCultivationContinued.html

"Fertilizer - Any General All Purpose Plant Food Will Do "No Bananas" Along With A Very Small Amount Of Root Hormone , From Time To Time . Plant Food Should Be Given At (1/4) Strength Per Gallon Of Water Beginning In Early Spring And Through Mid Fall , But Not To Often . We Do Not Regularly Feed Our Platycerium Fern Species . With Most Of The Species No Food Should Be Given During The Winter Season , Unless The Species Is A New Pup Or Newly Mounted Species You Are Attempting To Get Established And Even Then Not To Much Food . You Can Also Use A Very Small Amount Of Slow Release Plant Food Tablets , During The Summer Season . "

Interesting writing style on the website: I Think These People Are Very Passionate About Staghorn Ferns
:~)

This site also talks about using filtered water and the importance of not using chlorinated water in particular. They do have some good information that appears to be based on years of experience. I have a few little staghorns here so I was happy to find what info I could about them. I had been considering getting some sort of filters for the outdoor water anyway - I wish we could afford a filter for our whole system. Our community water company really dumps the chlorine in the water in the summer.
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 5, 2009
5:11 AM

Post #6223617

Thanks for that link Maggie. I'll look at that in a minute, but I have another question. I had some of that recipe from last year, can I still use it?
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 5, 2009
5:24 AM

Post #6223640

Hmmm. They certainly have a very different style of writing.

I'm not sure what "food" to give my staghorn. I garden organically, so can I use alfalfa tea? I'm trying that for the first time this year.
darkmoondreamer
(Karen) Frankston, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 5, 2009
2:00 PM

Post #6224332

Sorry if I'm popping in here with an already answered question Maggi, but what was the consensus last year regarding amount of the recipe per gallon? I know last year some were giving up to 6 TBS to a half cup of the recipe per gallon. I used 6 TBS mix in my greenhouse to spray the brugs this winter...
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2009
6:26 PM

Post #6225394

I think the smaller amount is the best.. the plants can only absorb and use so much. the rest would only be run off.
maggidew
(Maggi) Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 5, 2009
7:51 PM

Post #6225662

LOL! my reasoning about how much to use is this: If I have a lot of recipe mixed up and I'm feeling flush ($ in pocket) I use 2 T per gallon. If I am running low on recipe and am broke at the same time, 1T per gallon.

I found a partial jug of the recipe leftover from last year, it had been outside for months. I opened it and it smelt as fresh as the day it was mixed, so I used it. No adverse effects to report.
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 6, 2009
5:46 PM

Post #6229695

I got lazy last year and came up with all sorts of excuses for not spraying my Brugs with the recipe. With my slipped disc, I've wanted something I don't have to carry or to bend over a lot. I think I have the answer. It's a bit more expensive than a 1-gallon sprayer, but once I set it up, it should be easier to keep up with spraying the recipe and fertilizing.

I have a faucet extension and a hose near the greenhouse and where I summer my Brugs. To the extension faucet I am adding a twin shut-off valve (but one from Home Depot with a longer neck and bigger handles which makes it easier to turn the handles):
http://www.amleo.com/index/item.cgi?cmd=view&Words=by47
Two EZ-Flow Automatic Fertilizer Systems (One for regular fertilizer, such as MG, and one for the recipe)
http://www.amleo.com/index/item.cgi?cmd=view&Words=2005
A Foggit Nozzle. Placed at the end of the hose, it does the same thing a sprayer wand does:
http://www.amleo.com/index/item.cgi?cmd=view&Words=fog

and 2 - 50-ft hoses.

I'm filling one of the EZ-Flow containers with the recipe concentrate and the other EZ-Flow with my regular fertilizer. Each of these containers will be attached to the twin shut-off valves and a hose. Then all I have to do is turn two handles to switch from one hose to the other to mist or water my Brugs. I'll post a photo of my set up once it's in place.

darkmoondreamer
(Karen) Frankston, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 6, 2009
6:14 PM

Post #6229819

Betty looks like your mind is heading the same direction as mine this year. I would suggest you also look at this, a siphon mixer valve that hooks onto your faucet and is alot cheaper than the EZ Flow. You stick the little siphon hose into a regular 5 gallon bucket full of concentrated fertilizer for the same effect as your going for. Alot less money though. This is just an example, there are many brands of siphon mixer valves, some even cheaper. I'm going to use one bucket for fertilizers and one for pesticides. I also use a twin faucet valve, which you can get cheaply at Walmart.

http://homeharvest.com/waterfertilizerinjectors.htm

This message was edited Mar 6, 2009 12:17 PM
maggidew
(Maggi) Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 6, 2009
6:54 PM

Post #6230002

Hey Betty! Let us know how that EZ Gro works for you, OK? I notice it says "Back flow protection required, sold separately." Where is that?

Oh, and Sam's has had some good quality hoses the last few seasons, probably Costco does too. I have heard Sears made a really good hose too.

Karen, the only problems with the siphon mixer and 5-gallon bucket is that it seriously reduces water flow at the end of the hose and that it is very hard to filter out 'stuff' that clogs the siphon hose. Also, when you shut off the water at the 'business' end of the hose oftentimes the siphon stops working and you have to mess with it to get it sucking again.

I have lusted after the EZ Gro - but only if it really works ;~)
darkmoondreamer
(Karen) Frankston, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 6, 2009
7:20 PM

Post #6230109

Thanks for the tips Maggi! I am lusting after "something" this year, anything, to make fertilizing easier!

I've been looking at these two cordless sprayers at Ace...the first one rolls on wheels and holds 2 gallons
http://www.poolandgarden.com/cepia-one-touch-power-caddy-sprayer.html

This one is hand held and holds 1 1/4 gallon
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-4-Gallon-Cordless-GSP014/dp/B000E7UIS8

They are each about the same price as the EZ Flow

This message was edited Mar 6, 2009 1:29 PM
jestelleoan
Tyler, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 7, 2009
2:54 AM

Post #6231686

Hey Maggi, Darkmoon,

Has any one found a good siphon that they have used a lot and realy like it. God dose not like it when I through a fit in the frount yard because the spray gets clog up.

Karen I have used both of those and they are not very good. I also have a picture of your birthday cake from last year that I forgot to give you at the roundup but I will find it and e-mail it to you.

Joan
maggidew
(Maggi) Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 7, 2009
3:43 AM

Post #6231857

LOL! I am sure God forgives your fits, Joanie! I know what you mean about throwing fits, I am glad I don't have neighbors close enough to hear some of the words I say when I get frustrated with tools that don't work :~)

maggidew
(Maggi) Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 7, 2009
4:25 AM

Post #6232045

I am confused.

It's not difficult to confuse me these days!

EZ FLO or E-Z Gro?? LOL! Is one a 'knockoff' of the other? Are they both manufactured by the same company?

http://www.ezfloinjection.com/1-6.asp

http://www.mortonproducts.com/page.cfm/1532

http://www.amleo.com/index/item.cgi?cmd=view&Words=2005

Thumbnail by maggidew

darkmoondreamer
(Karen) Frankston, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 7, 2009
2:21 PM

Post #6233168

Hey jestelleoan! Good to see you! Are you coming to our RU on May 16th at Love's Lookout in Jacksonville?

Aw shucks, please don't tell me neither of those machines I listed don't work...WAHHHHH!!! I need something bad folks...I've been very ill and although I'm over it I'm still rather weak and can't handle a summer of toting a standard sprayer and pumping until I fall down.

Is there anything that really works well?
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 7, 2009
5:17 PM

Post #6233856

Maggie, I believe EZ-Gro is a knock off of EZ-Flo I'm going to end up with one of each because I lost track of the website I used to buy the EZ-Flo. The back-flow protection is a screw on valve that prevents possible contaminants from being sucked up the faucet and getting into the rest of your system. I received the EZ-Flo about 1-1/2 weeks ago and ordered the EZ-Gro yesterday. I haven't had a chance of trying the EZ-Flo with fertilizer yet.

Karen, I looked at the siphon mixer, but wanted an enclosed container. I'd have to fish dead things out of the bucket. If and when it rains, the fertilizer would dilute to unknown proportions. Besides those systems were "peace of mind" bribes from my DH. I went out to help him weigh a newborn calf. I hate the use of cattle prods so I use a rattle paddle. It didn't work against an irate mother. She picked me up, flung me about 6' into a cactus patch. Luckily for me, she just wanted her baby. I had thorns of all sizes from my neck all the way down to the backs of my knees. When I turned to get up, I got them all over my arms and hands. My DH spent the rest of the day getting the large thorns out. The small ones, I learned, after a visit to my GP and a Dermatologist, will have to be sloughed off. I'm using a cream to help speed that process. I've changed my mind about cattle prods.
darkmoondreamer
(Karen) Frankston, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 7, 2009
5:32 PM

Post #6233918

So betty you are saying that you have previously bought and used the EZ FLO and it works well? I need to decide for sure what to buy.
kathy65468
Eunice, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 7, 2009
5:41 PM

Post #6233951

I do not like cattle prods either. I had one meddlesome mom give me a really hard time. I bent down and picked up a rock and holding rock in my hand I punched her in the forehead. She went to her knees. I had no idea it would hit her that hard and will never do it again but the plus side is whenever she would get cranky after that all you had to do was double up your fist and she would back right off. LOL
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 7, 2009
5:43 PM

Post #6233961

No, I'm saying I just received one and need to test it out, but haven't had the time to do so. My DH is out of town and I'm stuck with his ranch duties as well as mine. I'll try to test it as soon as I have a free hour or two. I have to go to the airport in Austin to pick him up this evening and take him back Monday. Meanwhile, I have to put out hay every other day or so, keep a close eye on a 'first time' heifer, who may give birth to a large calf. There is a possibility of birthing problems there. I'm also trying to find someone to come put out feed for my calves and weigh any newborn ones
Veronica.
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 7, 2009
6:05 PM

Post #6234043

Kathy, once we weeded out the old gals and bull from the original herd, we've never had a problem with them. Heifers born on the ranch spend a year in the heifer pasture near the house. We see them everyday. We're the source of all the goodies they get. Once they join the main herd, we see them almost everyday. We are able to walk among them without any problems even when they have little ones. I'm still cautious around them. Size alone is enough to scare me. If they start to shake their heads or lower them, I back away. We have one, Rosebud, who was hand reared by her original owner. She loves men, but doesn't like women. I usually stay out of her personal space. When we weigh the newborn, the moms usually take a few steps back and let us do the job. They keep an eye on us, but make no aggressive moves. So Forever's reaction came as a complete surprise. I've come up with a faster way to weigh the calves, but since the idea didn't come from my DH, I can't implement it. I get a lot of "yes, buts"
kathy65468
Eunice, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 7, 2009
6:26 PM

Post #6234106

We just had a few head and always bottle fed the calves. It turns them into real pets. I only ever had a problem with the one cow and as stated I fixed that. I guess she was just having a hormonal moment. I should have been more patient but as always I was in a hurry.
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2009
2:03 AM

Post #6263668

Well.. at the Philadelphia flower show.. there was this vendor there...selling real water for plants.. they also haverealwater available for humans..and as a treatment for water..turning it into real water.. for us also..
I know.. another item one doesn't need to achieve great results.. but in their display..ofplantsgrownwithandwithout it..were impressive.. a general over all improvment.. in the with group.. so we'll see how it does... lots of medical litature of the benefit of this for peoples health... this is basically a negatively charged water which means it has extra electrons.. and will donate them to the body or plant if they are needed... city water..and water from other bottleing companies give positivilly charged water.. which means in flowing through the cells.. it's looking to steal electrons from it's molicules.. in order to relieve it's self of it's charged condition.. real water is also alkaline.. not acidic.. so it helps even out the PH in bodies.. and plants..
we'll see how it goes...
http://www.realwaterus.com/index.php?pr=Plant_Water
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2009
2:23 AM

Post #6263759

Would alfalfa tea be a good complement to this recipe?
maggidew
(Maggi) Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2009
2:47 AM

Post #6263864

I would think so!
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2009
2:59 AM

Post #6263923

Good, because I'm experimenting with that this year. I can't afford commercial fertilizers this year. I haven't used the brug stuff yet this year, just the tea. Everything seems to like it. I'm even more excited about spring this year than usual because of the results I had from the recipe last year and combining it with the tea for this year. This is a picture of the bouganvilla I have had for years than never bloomed until I tried that recipe!

Thumbnail by silverfluter

maggidew
(Maggi) Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2009
3:11 AM

Post #6263969

Wow! That's a real testimonial to the recipe, for sure. Love that color :~)
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

March 14, 2009
3:21 AM

Post #6264015

It should be fine.. if you can keep any solid matter .. ot of the spray systems.. intake..
I just finished applying 100 lbs of the alfalfa pellets directly to the top of the soil.. to let it rehydrate and be worked into the soil in cultivating..
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 14, 2009
3:41 AM

Post #6264106

Thanks Maggie.:) That bougie could be a poster child for the recipe. And that's without humate, miracle grow, neem, tea tree oil. The one I use is just real basic.

Gordon, I finally found a hose end sprayer I like. It's an Ortho brand and I bought a filter thingy that fits on the tube so nothing gets sucked up in there that shouldn't be.
Texasgrower
Palestine, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 15, 2009
12:35 AM

Post #6267737

Silver, I was told I couldn't grow bougies in east Texas. I am zone 8b and you're 8a. So do you get into the 20's at night sometimes? I have a big bougie I would love to put into the ground and let it take off. How do you protect it in the winter?

This message was edited Mar 14, 2009 7:40 PM
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 15, 2009
1:03 AM

Post #6267852

Well I'm not sure what to tell you except that some varieties are not winter hardy. Barbara Karst is the one I've heard that is and I can only assume that is what I have. I have also heard the variegated types are not winter hardy. I was told that they are not hardy here too, but this one had been planted near the porch of my Dad's house by the previous owner. After he died, I was trying to clean up the yard one day so we could sell the house. I dug this plant up thinking that I would just trash it. This was sometime in early spring 2000. To my surprise it had new growth at the base, so I took it home and planted it a pot. For several years I brought it inside for the winter, and then one day I just decided I'd had enough of that and I planted it in the yard. I had no idea it would ever get that big.

This one grows on the east side of a garage apt. Other than the leaves that accumulate around it, it gets no protection and I rarely water it. There is a rose about 5 or 6 feet away that I do water, so I guess maybe some of the roots go that way. And yes we do get in the 20's every winter. We've even had temps in the teens. Next to my confederate jasmin, it's the most trouble free plant I have.
Texasgrower
Palestine, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 15, 2009
1:12 AM

Post #6267900

I have no idea if mine is hardy. But like you, I'm tired of cutting the thing back in the fall and keeping it on the porch. I'd like to put it in the ground. But, I 'd hate to lose it to cold if it's not hardy. Oh what a conundrum. Thanks for your input. It helps a lot.
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 15, 2009
1:30 AM

Post #6267976

I'm going to try rooting mine this year. They grow so incredibly fast, I can't imagine the thing not rooting. If it works, I'll be taking them to the CS RU.
Texasgrower
Palestine, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 15, 2009
2:08 AM

Post #6268230

Do you root with the new green growth or older growth in the fall? Do you put in water or soil? Well, I guess I ought to go the plant files and do my own research huh?
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 15, 2009
2:14 AM

Post #6268272

I have never rooted a bougie. I plan on trying it this spring so it'll be new growth. It's just now coming up, so there's not enough to cut yet. I'd like to know if you find any info on it though.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 15, 2009
2:37 AM

Post #6268378

silver----

The best time to take cuttings of a Brug pieces to root is in the early fall--(at least here-zone 7a) when the days and nights are, approximately the same length.

I have found a few things that work better than others,,,ahem!

-Tip cuttings have more problems rooting then short, stem cuttings..VERY short!
-Rooting any cuttings by putting them directly into a soil mix, dipping them in rooting hormone, works better that trying to root them in water--even if it is a "bubbler" system...
--Always take your cuttings from above the "Y" if you want earlier bloom.
--You CAN root the whole stem of a Brug plant--if you wish...YEAH! It WILL root!
--You can also drag the whole plant into your dark, cool basement and let it go dormant. Water VERY sparingly! YES! All the leaves will fall off and the plant will just "exsist"...
BUT--It will bounce right back once you take it outside in the spring. Just watch the light--shade first...then part shade...then bright light...and then, finally, in full sun.
You will be amazed at how quickly the Brug responds to this!!!!!

Keep in mind this "formula"...

Any stem cuttings from below the "Y" will grow taller and bloom later
Any stem cuttings from above the "Y" will grow and bloom sooner--and will, most likely, be a bit shorter plant...

Since most Brugs do not "Y" until later in the growing season (here), you may not get any more than one or two flushes of bloom.

Again--Texas is a whole different zone than we are. We actually get hard winters here--and have to dig up our Brugs and overwinter them in the house----either dormant in the cool basement--or growing in a sunny room, somewhere...or, if we leave them outside---they will die...

I suggest you ask this question in your respective, regional Forum for better advice...
OR--Go to the Brugmansia Forum and you will have all kinds of advice!!!!

Gita
Texasgrower
Palestine, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 15, 2009
7:15 PM

Post #6271302

Gita appreciate the advice on rooting brug cuttings. silver and I were off topic of brugs and actually we're talking about rooting bougainvilla.
Texasgrower
Palestine, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 15, 2009
7:38 PM

Post #6271401

Silver, I just checked plant files and you can take herbaceous, woody, soft or semi hard cuttings. So I guess you can take a cutting from just about anywhere on the plant and treat it like any other. When mine starts waking up from it's winter's sleep I'lll take a cutting.
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 17, 2009
3:07 AM

Post #6278576

Gita, thanks for brug rooting info. I have 2 of those that I might try to root. I'm going to put that in my journal/blog. I'm hoping that bougies will be easier to root.:)
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 17, 2009
3:28 AM

Post #6278688

I am in 7b.. we get into the low 20's here frequently and even the teens sometimes.. there is a bougie down the street from me that has been in the ground for over 10 years.. it is on a west facing wall. I was simply amazed when I saw it and stopped to ask the owner about it. He told me when he planted it and it has just survived. Here is a picture I took of it just to prove to myself it really exhisted!

Thumbnail by LhasaLover

silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 17, 2009
4:10 AM

Post #6278838

Amazingly tough plants. It looks like the same one I have.
shirleyd
Starkville, MS

April 3, 2009
5:37 PM

Post #6359672

Can the recipe be mixed in a gallon container and poured on to plants-----or does it have to be sprayed?

Shirleyd
Zone 7b
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

April 4, 2009
11:58 AM

Post #6362647

Well Shirley... I haven't done any real tests on it.. but I suspect it woud be beneficial if sprayed or poured on.. I spray mine.. and also pour a bit into the diute inside MG feedings.. along with a few other incuded foods for the plants.. the benefit of the teatree oil for the eaves.. it being a fungiside... is lost pouring... but it does give that treatment to the soil ..
spraying has it's benefits.. [ even with water ] so you shoud be spraying anyway.. is there a reason for not wanting to spray with the recipe... aside from the brown streaks from the moasses..on everything around
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 4, 2009
3:06 PM

Post #6363211

My ferns don't seem to like this stuff and I'm trying to figure out what it is they don't like. I would like to mix up a version for them. Maybe I could also use that on my salvias. Also when I sprayed my redbuds they got little red rusty lookin' spots on the leaves.
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 6, 2009
7:01 PM

Post #6373230

Also I'm wondering if I can add vinegar to this stuff to counteract some of the alkalinity in our soil. I'm growing roses and blueberries. The roses are handling it ok since I started using this recipe, but I just planted the blueberry and I want to give it the best chance of survival.
shirleyd
Starkville, MS

April 6, 2009
8:51 PM

Post #6373694

Gordonhawk----the spraying is a little more trouble than just diluting it in a container and pouring. As I have said before, my age brings on some limitations, and I was trying to do it the easy way.

We are expecting down to 32 tonight-------and, I have potted up all my rootings over the winter------hope they make it!

Shirleyd
Zone 7b
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 7, 2009
12:03 AM

Post #6374644

We are expecting a freeze too and I'm trying to cover everything I recently planted and daylilies that have scapes. I'm hoping to spray tonight because I think it might help them make it through this cold snap.
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2009
1:33 AM

Post #6375118

Oh..Shirley.. sorry to hear it's too difficut to spray...they do love it so.. not being in the misty mountains.. or the humid lowlands.. how about some apprenticeship. for a local .. growette..
Well.. since you mentioned it.. what is your age ..my dear...
Can you break out an od sheet.. and cover things tonight.. it wil help
silverfluter
Fredericksburg, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 7, 2009
1:05 PM

Post #6376808

I think everything is ok except my one stargazer lily. It looks a little weak.:(
shirleyd
Starkville, MS

April 7, 2009
7:25 PM

Post #6378399

Gordonhawk ---I am 77 and just not as strong as I used to be------so my garden is suffering. Unfortunately, my yard man is just someone to tend to grass cutting-----he doesn't know the difference in a dandelion and a rose! Luckily, last night did not get as cold as expected------and, if we can survive the cold for tonight, the rest of the spring should be a breeze. In this area the old folks always said that you could plant most anything on Good Friday (although I think that the soil is still a little cold).

My big problem for today is that my bluebirds are flying at me when I try to open the bluebird box. They have not done that in 20 years of observing them!! I have always looked at their eggs and babies! Can't figure it out!

Shirleyd
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 7, 2009
8:49 PM

Post #6378787

Maybe you can find one of those little sprayers like I found for my mother.. she is 75 and also found it difficult to do the spraying needed for her plants.. all that 'hand spraying' her hands just could not do it... this works really well for her and is not too big to handle but holds plenty to do a lot of plants! I found it at walmart last year.. also found them at big lots... it is a 1/2 gallon mini sprayer with a pressure pump on the top. You fill it with your mix screw the top on and the pump the top to pressurize it... works really well... we have several around for differnt mixes.

Here is a pic of two of mine..

Thumbnail by LhasaLover

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2009
6:02 PM

Post #6443029

Hi I'm a newbie to this thread and was sent here just for the recipe. I am going to try it this year. I've sprayed my brugs and hibiscus with it a couple 3 times now and have noticed amazing growth in the brugs and the hibiscus is blooming! A flower at a time but it is blooming.

Spring 2007 was my first try with brugs; a total of 3 yellow. Two never bloomed for me until Feb2008 in the sunroom, one bloomed in Sept. 2007. i now have those original 3 (which died in the garage this past winter and start growing and showing leaves as I was going to throw them out). They have really shown growth in the 2, 3 x's I've sprayed them with the recipe. I also have 2 Monster whites, and a 'Charles Grimaldi'.

I have ordered from Logee's and yet to receive 1 each of 'Ecuador pink', 'Inca Sun', and 'Jean Pasco'. I also foolishly ordered the 3in1 brug where there;s all three colors in one pot. What can I say?

The first winter we kept them out here in the sun room and heated it at night during the winter and on cloudy days. DH says we're not doing that any more but did end up heating out here this past winter. Now he says definitely not next year so my tropicals will all have to go to the basement. Lost too many in the garage. All I need to do with the brugs once they're in the basement is water occasionally correct? And the leaves will fall off and not to be alarmed? Do they need light? We will be putting up lights for the Jasmines and epi's I have.

Will the recipe be okay for Jasminum sambacs and epiphylums???? You think?

Oh I know such a pain I'm being. Oh and my Mandavillas & heliotropiums too?
theraglady
Watertown, NY

June 22, 2009
11:23 AM

Post #6721912

I am wondering why so many people are adding superthrive to these mixes, when in fact the orignal was called homemade superthrive. I guess everyone mixes for thier needs.

I used to spary this on everything, but was so overrun with bugs. It then occured to me that maybe bugs like beer and molasses. I do occasionally spray, but uusually use it as a soak. I alao add no water to the mix, just use less to a gallon. It makes the batch smaller and easier to carry around. Using no water I still make it a gallon at a time . It is more like a syrup and I use a tablespoon full to a gallon. I saved Ketchup bottles to store it in, no light gets in that way and always keep one in my garden shed.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 22, 2009
12:58 PM

Post #6722178

Linda, where do you get Peter's? I have heard of Peter's Excellence which the greenhouses use, but have never seen it for sale to the general public.
Also, can anyone tell me where you get the kind of vitamin B12 for plants?
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

June 22, 2009
1:22 PM

Post #6722313

I believe// homedepot.. or Lowes has Peters... as well as MG...
It's all the same B-12.. good for any living thing.. the same formulation.. buy the cheepest one I'd guess.. as to how much to use ofthe real thing.. you'll have to read back in the thread

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 22, 2009
1:30 PM

Post #6722350

I purchased mine at Wal-mart One bottle for my brugs one bottle for my husband lol It was buy one get one free.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 22, 2009
11:47 PM

Post #6725167

I contacted the company that makes Peter's Excellence and they said they only sell it in 25 lb. bags to the trade. There are other Peter's formulations around, but I have found none. In fact, Schultz was recommended to me over MG.
pbtxlady
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 23, 2009
12:19 AM

Post #6725300

Or, you could try mixing your own with organic ingredients, instead of either MG or Shultz. Much cheaper.
napdognewfie
Cumberland, MD
(Zone 6a)

June 23, 2009
2:52 AM

Post #6725939

woodspirit1, I can't find it anymore. Apparently, Peters company was sold & changed the name to Jacks Classic Plant Food. It is $17.25 for a 4 lb tub! I won't be buying that overpriced stuff anytime soon. I looked at the Peters pail & I paid 2.99 on sale (regular 4.99) for the same amount. Good thing I bought 10 pails of it last year when I had the chance.

Linda
napdognewfie
Cumberland, MD
(Zone 6a)

June 23, 2009
2:52 PM

Post #6727286

Will the next person to mix a batch please add it up & post the total. I've had several people ask how much it cost to make & I didn't pay attention to it when I mixed it this spring.

Linda

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 23, 2009
7:57 PM

Post #6728403

my last batch cost about 2.00 ( mostly the beer) I initially bought a big bag of epsom sals, ammonia, and the rest of the stuff at discount store and have been only spending about a dollar on the can of beer.. hope this helps.. my supply ticket for everything still wasn't more than 10.00 including the tea tree oil.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2009
9:33 PM

Post #6728689

I don't think it cost me much more than that. I bought the epsom salt peroxide(strictly for me garden stash) tea tree oil, vit B12 (double bottle of bogo) at Wal-Mart. I already had the MG for tomatoes and the Bloom Booster. I don't know if that helps any.
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 8, 2009
7:08 PM

Post #6923188

could someone explain what the purpose of the ingredients is and their importance?

like why beer, ammonia, tea tree oil, molasses, epsom salts etc, what purpose do they serve or what is the plant getting out of it?.. and can you make a mixture minus one or more of these ingredients ( say you dont have tea tree or beer, or molasses on hand, but everything else) and it still benefit the plant?

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

August 8, 2009
8:52 PM

Post #6923549

Actually I didn 't see that much difference in using this than I did using Miracle Go Liquid last year...I sprayed once a week for every day seemed like over kill...sorry
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 8, 2009
9:12 PM

Post #6923613

This site identifies the macro and micro nutrients plants need:
http://www.indoor-gardening-guide.com/articles/plant-care/Plant-Nutrient-Primary-secondary-and-micro-nutrients.html
The Recipe is supposed to provide all those nutrients. While the ingredients in all the recipes vary, they all contain beer, ammonia, epsom salt, Tea tree oil, and molasses.

Molasses provides a large amount of potassium and some nitrogen, some calcium, magnesium and all the micro-nutrients. Molasses can potentially put too much potassium in the soil so it has to be balanced by the addition of some sort of ammonia compound. So they have to be used together.

Ammonia provides some nitrogen. As a base, it probably helps balance the pH of the solution which would tend to be acidic.

According to one site I saw, beer encourages healthy microbial activity. Another one stated "beer is better consumed than applied to your garden." This site says beer is ineffective:
http://www.bladeslawncare.com/fertilizer/beerlawnfertilizer.html

Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate. It provides magnesium and sulfur.
http://www.lvrj.com/home_and_garden/7025397.html
http://www.wildflower.org/expert/show.php?id=1900

Tea tree oil is a natural anti-fungal agent. If it's not used, the molasses would be an excellent growth media for sugar loving microbes.

One missing ingredient from this basic recipe is phosphorus, one of the major three nutrients plants need. Seaweed doesn't have much of it. Bloom booster fertilizers are mainly phosphorus, but that's an expensive way to go. One thing to know about phosphorus is that it binds easily with the soil in the top few inches making it unavailable to the plant. The best way to add phosphorus to the soil is to incorporate it before the Brugs are planted or mix a dry form of it farther down , but you risk damaging the roots. Most soils usually have enough phosphorus. Potting mixes include it.
Those recipes that add humic acid or humate teas utilize the existing phosphorus by unbinding it and making it available.

Other ingredients are existing fertilizers that could be used individually.

Not using at least the basic ingredients means you are leaving out vital nutrients. The idea behind these recipes is to provide a small amount of a 'complete' fertilizer every day so it's available when the plant needs it.

cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 8, 2009
9:39 PM

Post #6923739

I have the beer, epsom salts, molasses, peroxide,ammonia, but i do not have the tea tree oil.. would the peroxide be alright instead? I just refuse to par $11 for a teeny bottle of tea tree oil. things are tight, thats not an expense Im willing to endure.
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 8, 2009
10:09 PM

Post #6923826

You could try it and see if it works. The problem I see is that peroxide quickly breaks down and loses its ability to oxidize. Maybe you could find a cheaper source of the tea tree oil. I bought some Puritan brand tea tree oil on a 2 or 3 fer sale.
http://www.puritan.com/tea-tree-oil-products-014?afid=27&safid=Google&scid=13314&cm_guid=1-_-100000000000000003177-_-3249244201&cm_mmc=Google-_-Tea Tree_Oil-_-tea tree oil-_-Phrase Ad_3249244201|-|100000000000000003177&gclid=CK-Kov2IlZwCFRM_xwodK2yodw
It doesn't have to be pharmaceutical grade oil since you'd only use it on plants.
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 8, 2009
10:30 PM

Post #6923878

thanks betty.. will try and get some.. for now, I made a batch using the peroxide, beer, ammonia, epsom salt, molasses and bloom booster.. will use that up and then the next batch will hopefully have the tea tree oil in it :)

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

August 9, 2009
1:45 AM

Post #6924480

I thought the alfalfa like you find in horse feed was important. But now i think that may be what the molasses does. Am I right? I am not serious enough to mix all that stuff but i always add something with phosphorus, like bone meal because my soil is low in phosphorus. I also use lime because my soil is acidic.
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 9, 2009
4:05 AM

Post #6924941

Alfalfa seems to be slightly more balanced than molasses, but in the uncomposted stage, it would take nitrogen from the soil as it decomposes. The nutrients are more readily available in molasses. Neither molasses nor alfalfa have much phosphorus. http://docs.google.com/gview?a=v&q=cache:ULpA8_OkNXEJ:www.plantstogrow.com/Botany/Workshop_notes/Notes/Organic%20sources%20of%20NPK.pdf how much nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium are in in alfalfa&hl=en&gl=us
I guess whether acidic soil is a problem depends on what kind of plants we like. Many of my favorite plants are acid loving plants. The eco-region we live in is called The Post Oak Savanna whose soil is acidic, but it's really a patchwork of acidic and alkaline soils. I have some hydrangeas with pink flowers, others with lilac or blue. The post oaks need acidic soil and the live oaks don't seem to mind either soil types.

jestelleoan
Tyler, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 14, 2009
6:54 PM

Post #6946435

Thank you, Bettydee, for all the in formation on what each thing does in the recipe. People ask but I just say it works but now I can tell them what each thing does. They will think I am very smart for and East Texason.

Joan
cannagirl
DeRidder, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 17, 2009
4:09 PM

Post #6956792

Maggi, thanks for posting this recipe thread.

I've been using Ken's old recipe with great results. I add 1/2 cup composted horse tea to this recipe.
maggidew
(Maggi) Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 3, 2009
3:31 PM

Post #7331361

Mmmm, I like the horse poop idea!

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 19, 2010
7:01 PM

Post #7719638

I've been browsing these two threads for a while now trying to figure out what each ingredient is for...

what is the beer for??

TIA,

Terese
peony1066
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 19, 2010
7:27 PM

Post #7719732

If you count nine posts back or so, BettyDee has listed what every ingredient is for. The really seems to be sort of iffy, but some places on the internet say it is to encourage microbial activity. I don't use it because we have lots of snails and they flock to it.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 19, 2010
7:37 PM

Post #7719747

thanks peony... i was reading the first thread and didn't seem mention of the WHY behind the beer... didn't get to read this one fully yet, but since it was 'the end' i figured i'd post here.

thanks for pointing out Betty's post.

I dont have Brugs... but i do have a lot of seedlings and have been slowing creating my own "recipe".
pbtxlady
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 19, 2010
9:37 PM

Post #7720040

Terese, the recipe is really good for other plants too. I actually mix big buckets and use it as a soil drench on all my perennials. But it's especially good for roses. I'm not a rose person but that's what I keep hearing. :)
peony1066
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2010
4:05 AM

Post #7720285

tcs1366 I have sort of evolved my own recipe as well. I use it on everything, but my brugs get it every three days and the rest of the garden just every other time i fertilize my brugs.

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 20, 2010
5:24 AM

Post #7720409

at first, all i had was compost tea [i have one of those tumblers with a base that fills with the liquid] last year I purchased some SuperThrive... been adding that. after finding this thread, i've since added peroxide and Liquid seaweed.
I also have Tea Tree oil in the house and the epsom salts. i just have to remember to add those. oh heck... beer, yup, DH has a twin tapper in the DR, we always have beer. I think i have some Black Strap buried in the back of a cabinet too... i'll have to look for that.

I'll give the roses a good soaking ... I do give them banana peels and they seem to like that. did really well the year i remembered to do it.

super info here... thanks again.
shirleyd
Starkville, MS

April 21, 2010
4:04 AM

Post #7723311

Does anyone have a problem with ingredients that seem to attract wildlife? Any time I use anything with a fish odor (seaweed, fish emulsion,etc.) I notice that I am visited by all the neighborhood cats------and raccoons. And, when I put out banana peels, I frequently find that they have been dug up the next day------by some one?

Shirleyd

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 21, 2010
5:14 AM

Post #7723438

I have not had an issue with the peels. but then i have a big dog who barks A LOT... so i normally dont get critters.. only once did i noticed raccoon droppings, once, but we had been gone weeks.
theraglady
Watertown, NY

April 21, 2010
9:56 PM

Post #7726197

The origanal recipe was meant to be a home made super thrive. I do stull kist use th origanal mix. I also have to be careful with the fish emulsion, neigbors cat gets into the plant pots.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2010
9:54 AM

Post #7727229

this sounds terrible, but I have three neighborhood tom cats that our neighbors leave out aoll the time, they use allmy flower beds as potty rooms, but now since last year when I started using wooden shishkabob sticks stuck in pointed side up,, they do not enter my yard anymore..
cue_chik
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 22, 2010
12:49 PM

Post #7727689

you can also soak a few cloths in vinegar and leave tucked in amongst the plants to repel cats... they hate vinegar! eventually, the smell will fade (to human noses) but the cats will still be able to detect it
peony1066
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 22, 2010
12:51 PM

Post #7727693

You'll want to be a little careful with vinegar because I use it as a weed killer. It works.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2010
1:10 PM

Post #7727727

Back in 1969-1973 I used to sell Tupperware.

If you remember--they used to have this set of 6 "Popsicle Makers". Each one had a small lid with a little slot for you to stick the Popsicle stick through it.

Well--one of the "side uses" for these was to fill it with Ammonia, put the lid on it and bury them in the ground near shrubs, etc...with just the top exposed...Easy to re-fill as needed...
NO dog or cat would go near that area! Most animals hate to smell Ammonia! So do we, right?

Perhaps Dollar stores sell Popsicle makers???? Any others?
IF vinegar is harmful--I don't think Ammonia is----I will stand corrected here...

Gita

tcs1366

tcs1366
Itasca,IL&Lk Delton, WI
(Zone 5a)

April 22, 2010
1:30 PM

Post #7727774

ammonia will kill slugs and worms if they come in contact with them.

some say, if the solution of water and ammonia is too strong [we use a 10 : 1 ratio for our hostas] the plants can get burned.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2010
6:33 PM

Post #7746738

I like that idea of the buried ammonia pop cycle things.. they are in the dollar stores right now.. Thanks!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 3, 2010
4:53 PM

Post #7761413

Lots of great ideas here!

Does anyone have orange sunshine brug for sale???
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2010
5:26 PM

Post #7761535

Someone else was asking for one. I'd like to know as well. The one I bought last summer never thrived and died before fall.
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

May 4, 2010
3:48 PM

Post #7764271

I hunted the sea kelp here would have to go to tampa a ride and had to buy quite a bit I found it on ebay 1 pound dry 16 dollars with shipping 4 oz makes a gallon of consentrate or you could 1 teaspoon per gallon of water So if anyone needs it there it is!
peony1066
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 4, 2010
4:08 PM

Post #7764343

I usually get the liquid on ebay for 21.00 a gallon. Free shipping. It's about the same in stores. I have, though, found it at Lowe's. The brand is Maxi Crop.
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

May 4, 2010
4:39 PM

Post #7764446

when i looked it was way more than that has it been awhile since you bought it ?
peony1066
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2010
4:39 AM

Post #7765616

It was in October. The gallon I just bought at Barton Springs Nursery in Austin was 21.00. I don't see any listed right now on Ebay.
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

May 5, 2010
6:14 AM

Post #7765808

I bought powder there was liquid it was 26 dollars for a gallon
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2010
9:04 AM

Post #7766297

I also use the powder.. I bought it as a supplement for my dogs food LOL... I make a liquid from that. My dogs get to eat some of the left over solids. They love it.
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

May 5, 2010
9:57 AM

Post #7766449

they told me 1 teaspoon per gallon and 4 oz to make a consintrated gallon
peony1066
Sugar Land, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2010
11:30 AM

Post #7766669

Does it need to sit overnight to dissolve into the water? Does it dissolve?
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

May 5, 2010
11:51 AM

Post #7766715

dissolves right now I buy fertilizer from hydroponic stores pretty much alot of this to where it looks like mud and other stuff too
Tina_A
Caddo Mills, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 19, 2010
3:02 PM

Post #8108088

bump

catzgalore

catzgalore
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 19, 2010
5:18 PM

Post #8108374

Hi all :) Tina linked this thread to me and I plan on using one of the variable formulas. I do have a couple of questions though. They may have been answered previously so please forgive any repeats.

1. Does it matter what kind of beer you use. ie: light or dark
2. B12 ~ Is it there a certain concentration that is best? I would probably buy injectable as it is much cheaper than buying the pills.
Danasplants
Mulberry, FL

September 19, 2010
5:36 PM

Post #8108418

beers, beer they sell jugs of b12 for plants at lowells
kenboy
Big Sandy, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 19, 2010
6:09 PM

Post #8108495

Sugar is food in the plant world, so I would not go light beer but whatever is cheep. Plant B-12 is the cheapest but I have never used it, so do not know how much.to add. I have never use Miracle Grow but some water soluble fertilizers have miners and trace elements that would help the mix but I would never use Bloom Booster on Brugs because it is high in phosphorus and Brugs do not like high phosphorus.

catzgalore

catzgalore
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 19, 2010
6:28 PM

Post #8108544

Plant B12? I'll look for that. I didn't know there was a difference.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2011
5:18 PM

Post #8578192

Bumping for Newbies..
astcgirl
Brandon, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 22, 2011
5:16 AM

Post #8578988

Just used the last of my mix yesterday, making a new batch today. Thanks joeswife for bumping it. :)

Cajun2

Cajun2
(Carole) Cleveland, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 23, 2011
10:10 AM

Post #8581974

GREAT thread! Can't wait to try out some of the recipes here.
I inherited some pump type sprayers (guessing 2 gallon size maybe?) from my MIL.
Since she'd been known to go a little nuts w/RoundUp, does anyone have a good method for cleaning these that I can be assured that stuff is OUT of these sprayers?

bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 23, 2011
10:59 AM

Post #8582081

A good practice to develop is to have one sprayer per use: for example, 1 for pesticides, 1 for herbicides and 1 for fertilizer. You can never get the chemical used previously out completely. Plastics are porous enough to 'soak' up some of the stuff you've used in the sprayer. Because we use some herbicides on the pastures, I've had to get my Applicator's License and that's one of the first things that is mentioned in class.
flsusie
New Port Richey, FL

November 2, 2011
3:19 AM

Post #8872930

bump
pbtxlady
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 11, 2011
1:37 PM

Post #8886200

Stephanie, did you mean lite beer (low cal) or light (color) vs dark? I pretty much only use leftovers, and we never have dark beer around here, so light is all I've ever used, and it's usually lite too. If you're buying it for plants, though, go for non-lite and definitely go cheap. The plants don't much care about the taste. :)

Someone wrote somewhere else on DG that it was pretty odd that some of use beer on our plants. I have a better answer now about why it works than I did when I posted before. The beer both adds and attracts healthy microorganisms in the soil--acidophilus (did I spell that right) and some others that are known to stimulate plant growth. You can spend a lot of money and time buying those same cultures and growing them yourself and then spreading them on your plants. Or, you can add the stuff to the soil that will attract them--much cheaper and as simple as watering. Beer is one. I also use leftover soda pop and milk. I don't spray with the recipe, so I can't say what benefit there is in spraying, but I'm sure if Ken does it, it's a great idea.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 12, 2011
2:01 AM

Post #8886714

if I used beer here.. it would be asking for slug trouble
roxxanne
Houston, PA
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2011
5:07 AM

Post #8886767

Can this be sticky????
pbtxlady
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 17, 2011
1:49 PM

Post #8894487

I have slugs too, onewish, because I also have a lot of hostas. Not those big ugly two-inch things, but still slugs. The beer is very diluted, and it soaks in and dries pretty fast anyway, so I haven't found that it makes the problem any worse. Actually haven't had many problems at all, but I do know ants and flies are attracted to the sugar. There was this time we spread horticultural-grade molasses (dry) on the lawn, and every fly within 100 miles was in our yard the next day. Fun stuff!

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2011
3:26 PM

Post #8894634

what does the molasses do?.. other than attract them?
grrrnthumb
Marysville, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 19, 2011
12:27 AM

Post #8896483

I have some comments about what looks to me to be some conflicts in the Recipe ingredients. I'm sure that overall it works fine as a fertilizer because of the massive NPK (and Magnesium/Sulfur in Epsom salts), but I'm wondering if some of you are pouring money down the drain with the more expensive ingredients:

1) I saw that few mentioned pouring this on the soil instead of spraying the leaves. My concern is that the Tea Tree oil is a fungicide working opposite of all the sugar/carbs/yeast ingredients that are there to boost soil microorganisms (mycorrhizae) that speed the uptake of nutrients. "Fungicide" is just a fancy word for poison, but a very mild one that only kills the tiny plants. Fungicide kills mycorrhizae and I think it is less than beneficial for regular frequent use directly in the soil.
2) The beer also seems like money wasted if you are going to use it as a foliar spray only and leave in the Tea Tree oil. Again the fungicide/poison is working against the natural yeast and microorganisms. Perhaps plain table sugar would work as well for much cheaper if you are still using the TT oil.
3) Vitamin B12... did you guys really mean B1? I think B12 would be a waste of money.
4) Vitamin B1. This was originally pushed by the Superthrive guys in the 1940's after one university study showed benefits to plant growth. It was later debunked and the results couldn't be repeated by others, but it has still been one of the most persistent of gardening myths to hang around. Numerous studies have shown that most all growing plants produce more than they need of B1, inside the plant, and the additives are a waste of money.
5) Superthrive. This one is the worst. Basically 2 active ingredients: B1, which I already explained, and the plant hormone (auxin) NAA. NAA works just ok as a rooting hormone. It causes existing plant surface to "differentiate" or convert more existing area to root growth, but it is in a careful *balance* with other plant hormones, and trying to fudge nature has it's price. It actually inhibits plant growth. Anecdotal evidence sometimes see it working miracle resurrections from sickly plants, but that is from the rooting hormone growing some basic roots. You have to stop using it right away or your plant will always be suppressed in top growth. That is why all plant trials using Superthrive show no benefit to using it regularly.

Sorry for being the cranky old spoilsport ;) but would love to see you get even better results; or at least the same results a lot cheaper. :)
- Tom
pbtxlady
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 22, 2011
7:56 PM

Post #8902119

Tom, thanks for your input. Those are some pretty good concerns. I think I was the one who said I typically use this as a soil drench, rather than a spray. I can't address most of the things you listed because I don't use Superthrive or B1 or tea tree oil. Actually I have used tea tree oil, but only as a spray and only when a fungicide is needed for a particular problem.

Onewish, the molasses is the natural sugar that attracts and feeds the soil microorganisms. It can have very dramatic results on a lawn or flower bed. Just--ahem--be sure to water it in lightly if you buy a bag and spread it dry. :)

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 23, 2011
3:13 AM

Post #8902373

very nice.. thanks

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

May 5, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9111816

it seems I remember folks recommending alfalfa at one time. I found the easiest way to find it was rabbit food. does this sound familiar?
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9113840

yes.. I often lace the garden with alfalfa.. it works the same as planting a cover crop and tilling it in.. I usually see it here as horse feed.. or the rabbit food
pbtxlady
Garland, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 9, 2012
10:46 PM

Post #9158798

I buy alfalfa as horse feed from the feed&seed stores. Very inexpensive if you buy a big bag and store it. Suggest a metal garbage can if you have critters around.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
parentage monika 80 Nov 14, 2011 6:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America