Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Knowing the Degree of Difficulty When Starting Flowering Plants from Seed: A Beginner's Reference: Blue Poppies are easy to grow from seed:

Communities > Forums > Article: Knowing the Degree of Difficulty When Starting Flowering Plants from Seed: A Beginner's Reference
bookmark
Forum: Article: Knowing the Degree of Difficulty When Starting Flowering Plants from Seed: A Beginner's ReferenceReplies: 11, Views: 88
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Leehallfae
Seattle, WA

February 24, 2009
10:43 AM

Post #6181989

If your yard has Rhododendrons or Azaleas, you can grow Meconopsis. The hard part is getting fresh seed, but other than that: These are low maintenance.

My neighbor and I got hooked on Blue Poppies about 4 years ago. Meconopsis thrive in acid soil, protected from direct sun and with plenty of moisture.

Will try to remember to take more photographs this April/May.
LarryR
South Amana, IA
(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2009
1:39 AM

Post #6190699

Hi Jennifer--Thought I recognized that DG name! Let me know how your double tiger lilies do. Thanks for sharing your success with Meconopsis. I'm envious! :-) Best--Larry☼

P.S. Please do send me some Meconopsis photos this spring!
hypnotized
Appomattox, VA

March 19, 2009
4:08 PM

Post #6289908

what kind of poppy is meconopsis and yes my yard has azaleas
LarryR
South Amana, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 19, 2009
6:00 PM

Post #6290354

Here is a link to get you started:

http://www.meconopsis.org/pages/firsttime.html
Leehallfae
Seattle, WA

March 28, 2009
7:31 PM

Post #6332232

The Meconopsis ought to be in bloom in April. Will post some photos, and they look especially pretty in morning sun.

Jennifer
LarryR
South Amana, IA
(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2009
5:27 AM

Post #6343653

Thanks, Jennifer. I'll be looking forward to the pix.
tweeky40
Pella, IA

August 31, 2009
5:37 PM

Post #7008973

Larry R,

Can we grow Blue Poppies in IA? I'm from Pella.
LarryR
South Amana, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 31, 2009
8:57 PM

Post #7009530

Greetings to a fellow Iowa gardener, tweeky! I'm tempted to believe that if I had tried growing Meconopsis this year, I would have been successful, since we had such cool, wet weather. Normally, they can't survive a hot, dry Iowa summer (see my link above). The seed also has to be very fresh. If you'd like to try your luck next spring, you might contact Jennifer (first entry above) or the two sources offered here: http://davesgarden.com/community/trading/search.php?search_text=PFPID:531
Happy gardening!
Larry☼
Leehallfae
Seattle, WA

September 3, 2009
1:14 AM

Post #7019102

I have some fresh, just harvested seeds for Blue Poppies.

The instructions: Keep the fresh seed in the refrigerator until January. Then get at least a 5 gallon container, fill with potting soil, and place all the seeds onto it. Set the container outside, and leave it alone. No watering, no protection from snow: Nothing.

By April or May, you ought to see the beginnings of flowers. They probably will not blossom the first year, but by the second year, they will flower.
LarryR
South Amana, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2009
3:31 PM

Post #7020998

Thanks so much, Jennifer. I'll send you a D-mail with my address. :-)
Leehallfae
Seattle, WA

September 2, 2010
2:08 PM

Post #8076868

Hello Larry:

My neighbor tried this: Planted 100 Meconopis seeds in January, our coldest month, and true to form, it was 100% germination.

There ought to be more seeds available now, if so, can send more your way. As long as they are kept cool and dry, they remain viable for at least ten years.

I posted some pics of mine, but they have not yet been accepted. I blame the new camera. A poor workman always blames his tools.

Jennifer
September 2, 2010
LarryR
South Amana, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2010
10:19 PM

Post #8082757

Hi Jennifer--Thanks for thinking of me. I would certainly like to try some seeds. Do you still have my mailing address? Please let me know the cost of postage, so that I can reimburse you. Or would you like a plant/seeds in trade?

When did you submit the photos? I know that sometimes when I've submitted photos, it's taken four or five days before they appear in PlantFiles. Best--Larry☼

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Knowing the Degree of Difficulty When Starting Flowering Plants from Seed: A Beginner's Reference Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
nice article! onewish1 2 Feb 22, 2009 10:44 PM
Blue Poppy Debsroots 8 Feb 26, 2009 1:33 AM
Thanks... Sundownr 2 Feb 22, 2009 10:42 PM
Your article. leeflea51 1 Feb 22, 2009 10:39 PM
geraniums mothermole 1 Feb 22, 2009 10:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America