Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Uncommon Nutrition from the Common Fig ~ Ficus carica: And don't forget...

Communities > Forums > Article: Uncommon Nutrition from the Common Fig ~ Ficus carica
bookmark
Forum: Article: Uncommon Nutrition from the Common Fig ~ Ficus caricaReplies: 11, Views: 90
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LLMac
Mountain Grove, MO

February 25, 2009
8:23 AM

Post #6187336

Figs are also mentioned in the very beginning:

"And the eyes of them both [Adam and Eve] were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons." (Genesis 3:7)

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

February 25, 2009
9:39 AM

Post #6187372

I always had the idea that the leaves used were vine leaves, probably some distortion due to my French heritage;))
Anyway I really enjoyed your article, I used to travel in Greece and Turkey in august-september and almost dies from fresh figs overdose...

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2009
1:45 PM

Post #6187807

I hate to admit that I have never tasted a fig. Your article has inspired me to try them, and if I like them, I may have to try growing them.
Thanks,
Bev

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

February 25, 2009
2:50 PM

Post #6188050

If you want to get the real taste do not go for dried figs, they are good for sure (notably the Turkish ones) but fresh figs are just something else. And of course top of the top is fresh from the tree, they are quite fragile and cannot travel once fully ripe...

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2009
11:10 PM

Post #6190027

Thanks for all your comments ^_^

jjacques, I had to chuckle with "figs overdose" - as we all can imagine what you mean by that!

Bev, I wouldn't just bite into a dried fig, as is, straight out of the package. Sometimes they get too dried out. I agree with jjacques, that they won't impress you at all. They need to be cooked in something or hydrated in a small stew pot to do them any justice. They are really good and good for you too.

Happy & Healthy Gardening,
~Diana
oops...had to edit a glaring typo

This message was edited Feb 25, 2009 8:56 PM

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

February 26, 2009
12:34 AM

Post #6190411

Thank you jjacques and wind for the advice, because munching on a dried fig straight out of the bag is exactly what I had planned to do, lol!

Bev

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

February 26, 2009
5:08 PM

Post #6193402

Ah well Bev, you can enjoy a dried fig (they go wonderfully well with walnuts) but you when you turn to the fresh ripe ones it is like going from Mac Donald's to La Tour D'argent!
JJ

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

February 26, 2009
5:52 PM

Post #6193580

jjacques, I get the idea, fresh is much better, LOL!

Bev

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

February 27, 2009
10:02 AM

Post #6196639

Yep, fresh is the best but dry will get you by!
Mimulus1
Watsonville, CA

March 2, 2009
8:37 AM

Post #6209802

Blue jays like figs, too! And the silver fluttering foil I hung they seem to think is an advertising streamer. Ah, well, I get a few from the lower branches. But I do wish they would learn which ones are ripe.

cubana3
Lafayette, LA

March 2, 2009
6:38 PM

Post #6211683

Dried imported figs were a traditional Christmas treat served along with dates and nuts.
Delicious! Now I can grow them in my yard,love them fresh picked but I still enjoy died
variety when I can find them...

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2009
10:41 PM

Post #6212826

Mimulus1, I guess the silver foil was up to deter the birds. We have a lot of birds, including plenty of blue jays. I'm sure they will love our new fig tree then; that is, if it ever grows up to yield some figs. We had a snow storm last night; our little fig is quite dormant at the present time... patiently counting down for spring.

cubana3, thank you for sharing your comments. I can't wait until we can enjoy fresh picked figs too. Until then, dried it is ^_^

Be well,
Diana

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Uncommon Nutrition from the Common Fig ~ Ficus carica Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Good article! darius 6 Feb 26, 2009 2:40 AM
Some more historical information jeffinsgf 1 Feb 25, 2009 7:58 PM
Fig Trees Skyflower1 3 Mar 3, 2009 11:16 PM
barren fig tree ZEZE49 1 Mar 3, 2009 10:57 PM
Black Marseilles (Marseilles VS) Fig ericlhyman 0 Jun 4, 2009 8:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America