Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

High Yield Gardening: Square Foot Gardening

Communities > Forums > High Yield Gardening
bookmark
Forum: High Yield GardeningReplies: 199, Views: 1,714
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2009
11:47 AM

Post #6187477

We're (my wife and I) doing SFG for the first time this year. We've been reading books and reading articles on the Internet, but we realize that there's nothing like first hand knowledge. So if anyone has any hints, tips suggestions, ideas, etc please send it to me. I appreciate everyone's time with this. I hope everyone is doing well.

Greg

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2009
11:50 AM

Post #6187480

This is a good topic.
I am interested in the answers too. Good luck.
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2009
12:04 PM

Post #6187501

My friend that got me started in 2005 does square foot.

1st he does ONLY veggies. Anything he cant eat he dont like to deal with.
He has several beds. None of them are more than 4 feet wide except his corn. That way he can reach in with his arm or hoe/rake to weed without struggling. Also he can pick just one bed at a time to weed.

He will plant corn and after established and growing, he will plant cukes at the base and trail them going up the corn stalk. He plants radishes every where in between.

He gave me a book - Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew.

Thats all I can tell you.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2009
12:07 PM

Post #6187503

I am going to be watching this one as well
gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2009
1:19 PM

Post #6187693

One thing I can add for anyone else who is trying this is to use copper self-drilling screws, 3" long, when assembling the wooden planting boxes. The nails will pull out rather easily as the plants and their roots grow or so I've been told.

Greg

Thumbnail by gbwhite
Click the image for an enlarged view.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2009
1:25 PM

Post #6187725

that's a start... thank you
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2009
3:32 PM

Post #6188192

No help here, but anxious to follow your progress.
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2009
5:28 PM

Post #6188671

I started these about 4 years ago and love them. i actually have 7 4' square and 5 2'x4'. Very productive and easy to use (I use mini blinds to create the squares instead of string because they are so cheap.) I started out using Mel's mix, but didn't think it worked as well as good old Miracle Grow Garden Mix.

Cubed Foot Gardening is an excellent book, and provided me with additional information that i found very helpful.
gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2009
9:29 PM

Post #6189637

Thanks to everyone who's replied to this so far. Nice to have new friends!

Greg
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2009
9:31 PM

Post #6189642

Greg - welcome to the NE Forum! I will talk to my friend and see what he can have to offer more than what I posted! Keep coming back you will love it here!

Sherrie
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

February 25, 2009
9:57 PM

Post #6189738

Greg, is Abington just north of Philly? If so you are only about 30 miles from me. I hope you are checking out other threads here? We are a talkative bunch. :)
cyndiehook
Central, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2009
11:14 PM

Post #6190040

We do all of our gardening with raised beds. If you are serious about the square foot, you can put small nails into the wooden rails every 12 inches and run twine to mark your squares. I just usually eyeball it.
Some plants that are easy for square foot gardening are green beans and peppers. The problem with some other plants are they like to wander. LOL.
Start with plants you really like to eat a lot of. Even if you don't do the sq. ft thing exactly, the beds are easy to maintain. A lot of veggies can be trellised and this will leave you with space in the front of the bed for other things like lettuce, basil or rows of carrots.
Welcome to Dave's.
Edited to say if you have specific questions, fire away. There are several veggie people here.
This message was edited Feb 25, 2009 6:19 PM

This message was edited Feb 25, 2009 6:20 PM

JWLW

JWLW
Atkinson, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2009
11:52 PM

Post #6190211

Greg: Are you Reading the latest version of Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew. The latest one uses a different mix and it works better. Amazon has both listed.

John

Thumbnail by JWLW

Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

February 25, 2009
11:53 PM

Post #6190219

Greg - are you going to the Flower Show in Philly next week?
tamberlin
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 26, 2009
12:09 AM

Post #6190295

I'm also planning on square foot gardening this year. I bought the latest version of Mel Bartholemew's book at Barnes & Noble. There is not much sunny space left in my yard and I like the idea of getting a large crop out of a little space. I also like the chicken wire covers to keep the vermin out ( i have a resident woodchuck). More on how the project progresses...
gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 26, 2009
12:25 AM

Post #6190369

To Jan23: Yes Abington is a quaint little town outside of Philly. I really love it here!
To Schickenlady: Thank you so much for the welcome. Rest assured that I'll be here a lot!
To JWLW: No, I'm not reading the book but I plan to go to Barnes and Noble to pick it up tomorrow.
To Sequee: I haven't talked to the better half about it yet, but I'll do so tonight and let you know tomorrow. Are you going?

Greg
cyndiehook
Central, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2009
12:43 AM

Post #6190447

tamberlin,
I have some beds that are not full sun all day. My green beans do well with only about half the day of sun. So if you have some areas like that, you can experiment with what will tolerate a day with only part sun.
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

February 26, 2009
12:46 AM

Post #6190459

bluekat76 is coming up from MD on Sunday and we're staying at the downtown Marriott, then going to the show on Monday. We tried to get it together last year, but we didn't start making plans early enough and it just fel through.

I understand it's really something special though. At least we can DREAM of summer and heat!!! Been mighty cold around these parts this year!
tamberlin
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 26, 2009
1:13 AM

Post #6190571

Cyndie- how many beds per person do you usually plant? I have a family of 4, so I was planning on 4 beds, staggering plantings so I'd hopefully have crops all summer and into fall.
cyndiehook
Central, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2009
1:31 AM

Post #6190657

There are charts for how many rows of each type of veggie to grow for a family of four. I will look for it for you. I think your plan is good. The key is to plan for filling in spots as you empty them. Some veggies provide more yield than others in a short time frame. What are you planning on planting?
Myself, I have many beds, over 8( not all just 4x8), and there are just two of us. I freeze or can the surplus. When you get into gardening, there are never enough beds. I especially love squash and they use a lot of space.
cyndiehook
Central, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2009
1:47 AM

Post #6190734

Here is a typical plan for a family of four. Bear in mind these requirements are planning on the fact that you will preserve your entire excess produce. So, if you aren't doing that, just look at the list from the viewpoint of not planting too much of something you won't want to preserve.
http://www.humeseeds.com/seedneed.htm
http://www.humeseeds.com/vegplan.htm
Here is also a website of intensive gardening and it lists the top 15 veggies by economic benefits. I would say to pick what you like to eat and grow those. We all learn more each year for our particular area.
http://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/garden/mg/vegetable/intensive.html

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 26, 2009
5:34 PM

Post #6193521

Day Two:

Raining today so no physical work to do. I am going tp pick up Mel's book today. We've decided to make some changes to the yard (planting beds). Instead of 9 2 X 12 X 4's, we're going with 5 of the 2 X 12's and 4 2 X 8 X 4's. We got to thinking that we didn't need all the planting beds to be 2 X 12's. The weather has been in the mid 40's-low 50's every day lately so I'm hoping to be able to start the tilling in the next few weeks. Going plant some more seeds in the plantroom today. Baby steps I suppose... I'll post a pic of the finished planting beds when my camera battery gets a charge.

This week is testing my patience. My car battery went dead and had to be replaced. I blew a front tire yesterday and had to replace both front tires and an alignment. I do get a free oil change out of the deal though. Had to cancel one of my credit cards because they we're doing some pretty shady things with my account. Then the rain today. As bad as we need it, I just can't stand the rain...

Hope everyone is having a great day!

P.S. Sequee, we're not going to do the Flower Show this year. It's supposed to have an Italian motif with wine tasting rooms and wine for sale. A little off-track IMHO. My wife's dad works the show every year. His name is Earl Fowler so if you see him tell him his son says hello.
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

February 26, 2009
8:07 PM

Post #6194244

Oh, dear And this wino gave up wine for Lent!!! Whatever will I do???
gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 26, 2009
11:05 PM

Post #6195022

Here's a picture of the finished planting beds. Still a long way to go before it looks good...

Thumbnail by gbwhite

JWLW

JWLW
Atkinson, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2009
11:26 PM

Post #6195100

Greg: You are showing your zone as 3B does not sound correct. you are near Philly right.

John

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 26, 2009
11:38 PM

Post #6195162

looking good so far
tamberlin
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 27, 2009
12:33 AM

Post #6195361

Mezzo - what size boards are you using for your beds? I have yet to price out the hardware (boards, nails, dirt, landscape fabric) but I'm betting that the dirt (mels' mix) will probably be the most expensive component of this enterprise.
Cyndie - thank you for the link to the charts. Once I get the computer for more than 5 minutes (I have 2 teenagers) I'll get a chance to print and study.
:)
Deb
gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 27, 2009
6:59 PM

Post #6198479

This is what happens when you let your garage get a life of its own...

John, yes, I'm very close tp Philly. What zone should I be in. I'm having trouble figuring it out. Thanks.

Deb, I actually used two sizes, 2" thick by 12" tall by 48" long. And then I have 2" thick by 8"tall by 48" long. We figured that we didn't need all the planting beds to be 12" tall. They will be in 3 X 3 rows with a 30" wide pathway on the top, sides and bottom of each bed. We have a little rider to drive around the beds so we don't have to bend over so much when taking care of the plants. We both have bad backs...whoopee.

P.S. I've had my username changed to gbwhite. All my posts will be under that username.

This message was edited Feb 27, 2009 3:01 PM

This message was edited Feb 27, 2009 9:48 PM

Thumbnail by gbwhite

JWLW

JWLW
Atkinson, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2009
10:13 PM

Post #6199211

Greg:
Go to the following link and enter your zip code http://www.garden.org/zipzone/
Will tell you what zone you are in.

John
Katye
Sammamish, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 28, 2009
3:48 AM

Post #6200537

Hey Greg - Like Cyndie, i have all raised beds. Most are 4 x 8 and range in height from 1' to 2'. They were built using 4 x 6's - very sturdy. I live outside Seattle; our weather is usually cooler with lots of rain, so the raised beds provided better soil conditions, heating up sooner & excellent drainage.
I have used the square foot method for over 20 years. It works well for me, and I have no complaints for all the time I have spent doing so. I used to keep a notched bamboo pole in the garden - a makeshift ruler, but my Ridgeback thinks bamboo is a treat for her: I no longer have it, so I just eyeball everything now.
I think Mel B. explained everything quite well in his book, so it's worth reading. I grow as much as i can vertically, but I have 20+ beds & not hurting for space. 4 - 6 beds will give you room for a lot of produce. Crop rotation: i think he addresses this, but cannot remember. I keep a log of what I grow in which bed & rotate accordingly.
Also - before you do the final layout:
Make sure you have wide paths between the beds - wider than your wheelbarrow!
Consider how you will manage the watering: access is important and dragging hoses around is a time waster.
My beds are gravelled in between - this helps hold the heat in spring & fall. Cleaner, too, and any weeds that emerge get torched.
Hope this helps!
gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 28, 2009
3:16 PM

Post #6201747

I realized that I was going to need my garage back in order so...sorry to have to make a new post for every picture.

This message was edited Feb 28, 2009 11:17 AM

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 28, 2009
3:19 PM

Post #6201753

I got a new toy for getting rid of unwanted tree limbs and roots, it's really cool!

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 28, 2009
3:22 PM

Post #6201759

This is the little scooter that I've been talking about for getting around the rows of the planting beds. My wife bought it, I don't think it was too expensive.

Thumbnail by gbwhite

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 28, 2009
4:44 PM

Post #6202098

hope your wild thing chain saw is better than the leaf blower we bought

:(
gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 28, 2009
6:24 PM

Post #6202529

I bought my wife a mid-range/size tiller for Xmas. We used it for the first time today and was expecting to have trouble with the sod and do OK with the dirt. But it went thru the sod like a hot knife thru butter. Craftsman really does make the best tools. Although I'm sure some of you will disagree.
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2009
8:39 PM

Post #6203072

IF - you need to get rid of stuff? I will take the freezer, generator, the bolt bin in the back and what ever I can make out in the picture! Kidding :-)

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 28, 2009
8:42 PM

Post #6203086

good eye Sherrie

drumlin
Rockport, ME
(Zone 5b)

March 1, 2009
2:52 PM

Post #6205959

I'm looking at all the boards, thinking "Gee, I wish I could do that, but I'm afraid of circular saws." Der, I can have the lovely people at Home Depot cut the boards to length! Sometimes I think 50 is the new 70, too much brain jam. So, this is going to be the year I have raised beds! Keep those pictures coming.
NisiNJ
Bordentown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2009
7:12 PM

Post #6211808

gbwhite, you mention that you will be tilling. Does that mean that you will be following the original SFG book's direction of using your native soil and amending it? M. Bartholomew's later book says to fill the box entirely with purchased bags of soil and amendments--the "Mel's mix" mentioned by other posters in this forum--and NO native soil.

These are completely different plans. Which one are you planning to use?

Denise
gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 3, 2009
10:34 PM

Post #6217553

schickenlady, sorry but we have to hang on to those goodies, but all the stuff on the left side racks is going out for our yearly garage sale so help yourself :)
onewish: What side of NJ is Denville? We have friends in Cherry Hill but that's about all of NJ I know.
drumlin: yes, Home Depot or Lowe's (I prefer Lowe's) will cut your board to whatever length you need. I started with 2"X12"X16 foot and had them cut into quarters.
NisiNJ: We're going to till the native soil, rake it all flat (removing al the weeds and rocks), then lay landscaping fabric, then whatever we select for the soil for the planting beds and then put down mulch on the pathways between the beds.

JWLW

JWLW
Atkinson, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2009
1:52 AM

Post #6218347

Greg: If you lay Newspaper down 6 to seven layers and you use 10 to 12" raised beds you do not have to till anything. Fill your raised beds with SFG Mix and mulch between raised beds with 6 or so inches of wood chip or similar mulch.
Grass works also except you have to trim it.
You can also use lower raised beds and dig out in the beds to a lower level.
All you need to start is 6" Raised Beds.
Suggest you read the latest SFG Book in detail and the check around the internet for additional info.

John

This message was edited Mar 3, 2009 8:53 PM

This message was edited Mar 3, 2009 8:54 PM

Thumbnail by JWLW

DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2009
11:24 AM

Post #6219504

His new book ("All New Square Foot Gardening") has some intriguing advice. Using all artificial grow mix actually seems reasonable. But using only 6 inches of it seems like it might not be enough for some plants like tomatoes, and needing no fertilizer sounds overly hopeful. Maybe he has better compost than I do, but I would be interested in hearing of other people's results with his new method.
gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 17, 2009
11:43 AM

Post #6279455

Well, we're getting started on the yard this coming weekend. My wife (Jo, short for Jocelyn) have decided to till the soil (mostly done), lay some weeding blanketsSP? over the soil, and use the mushroom compost/soil mix for the beds with a bag of nutrient rich soil called Bumper Crop for each bed. I'll take pictures along the way so you can see how we're progressing. We got a neat little toy. It's a wheel barrow that detaches at the rear to make it very easy to dump the soil in the beds. An opinion for me? I want to plant our watermelons and pumpkins using trellises along the gates but independant of the planting beds. Jo wants to plant them in the planting beds. Any opinions out there?

Hoping everything is well with everyone out there!

Greg
drumlin
Rockport, ME
(Zone 5b)

March 18, 2009
1:42 AM

Post #6282765

Yes, please do post pictures, I think it helps everyone.
gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2009
11:19 AM

Post #6306986

Hi Gang,

Well, we've got the landscape fabric down, the planting beds in place and all the trellises (for climbing plants) in place. We have one of the planting beds filled with soil and the rest will be done today. I've been taking pics as promised, but our computer died on us and I've been getting it ready for use as time permits. I'll post the pics this evening. Tomorrow will be planting day, at least we'll be planting what the weather will allow.

I hope everybody is doing great. BTW, when we're done planting, is there a way to trade our remaining seeds or just give them to somebody?

Greg
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2009
11:25 AM

Post #6307003

Planting. Super! ah up here we only have 2 months to go - grrrr.

Seed trading will come around at some point. If not on the NE then on the seed trading forum. Keep us up to date Greg! Looking for some pics of your new garden
gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2009
12:19 PM

Post #6307153

OK, here are the latest pics. I'll start with our new outdoor sink and hose reel. I'ts really cool, it winds the hose up all by itself using the water pressure. Awesome!

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2009
12:29 PM

Post #6307180

Landscape Fabric 1

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2009
12:30 PM

Post #6307187

Landscape Fabric 2

Thumbnail by gbwhite

Anitabryk2
Long Island, NY
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2009
12:30 PM

Post #6307188

I have always found Mel's ideas very interesting. I try to apply some of the concepts. I'll be following this thread.
gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2009
12:31 PM

Post #6307194

Landscape Fabric 3

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2009
12:33 PM

Post #6307197

Landscape Fabric 4

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2009
12:34 PM

Post #6307202

Landscape Fabric 5

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2009
12:35 PM

Post #6307208

Landscape Fabric, Single Strip

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2009
12:36 PM

Post #6307212

Planting Beds 1

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2009
12:37 PM

Post #6307216

Planting Beds 2

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2009
12:38 PM

Post #6307220

Planting Beds 3

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2009
12:39 PM

Post #6307227

Trellises 1

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2009
12:40 PM

Post #6307230

Trellises 2

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2009
12:41 PM

Post #6307236

Trellises 3

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2009
12:42 PM

Post #6307238

Sorry to take up all this room. More pics to follow tonight.

Greg
gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2009
12:52 PM

Post #6307271

Anita, we're trying to use some of Mel's ideas, and some ideas of our own too. We hope to have the best garden in the area :)
gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2009
12:54 PM

Post #6307280

schickenlady, you really have to wait 2 more months to plant? Doesn't that limit what you can plant a little each year? I'm getting really excited to see the finished product!
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2009
1:03 PM

Post #6307315

Greg - rule of thumb up here is not to plant until Memorial Day Weekend. If you plant before that you are taking a chance on getting a frost.

Some things you can plant before like peas, spinich, lettuce - cold leaf plants. Then the tomatoe, pepper, cukes more toward the end of May.

Then some of us cheat, plant a week or 2 before the end of May. I myself can be one as I grow all my veggies from seed. So if we get a hard frost it will cost hardly nothing to replace the plants.

I can plant a good size veggie garden. This year I want to plant - 100 tomatoe plants again. Then cukes, squash, peppers etc etc.

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2009
2:25 PM

Post #6307626

Anybody want to shovel some soil? This is by far the least favorite thing I've done so far...
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2009
3:37 PM

Post #6307918

LOL looking good!!!
NisiNJ
Bordentown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 23, 2009
4:34 PM

Post #6308204

If you would like to donate extra seeds, there is a forum here where they are collecting seeds to send to DG "newbies."

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/962951/

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2009
8:14 PM

Post #6309157

NisiNJ, I'll definetly do that when the time comes, thanks.
gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2009
9:34 PM

Post #6309490

Well, we got 7 of the 9 planting beds filled with soil and Bumper Crop. Here are the pics.

Greg

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2009
9:35 PM

Post #6309496

Planting Beds Filled 2

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2009
9:36 PM

Post #6309501

Planting Beds Filled 3

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2009
9:37 PM

Post #6309509

Planting Beds Filled 4

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2009
9:39 PM

Post #6309514

Planting Beds Filled 5

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 23, 2009
9:41 PM

Post #6309525

Planting Beds Filled 6. This is it for tonight. we're both dog-tired and have backaches. Oh well, good things don't come easy I suppose.

Thumbnail by gbwhite

drumlin
Rockport, ME
(Zone 5b)

March 23, 2009
11:32 PM

Post #6309980

SO PURDY!! Makes you want to dig right in! I forgot about the shoveling...somehow. I guess if you plan on using them year after year it's only the first year that's the toughest part.
gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2009
1:26 AM

Post #6310481

drumlin, we've been dealing with very cold in the am and warmer in th afternoon. We have two planting beds to go and then we'll start marking off the sections for planting. This has been a lot of work but it will all be worth it in the end. Once we mark everything off, we can start planting. I hope this thread is helping someone.

Greg
drumlin
Rockport, ME
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2009
2:57 AM

Post #6310996

Actually it does. Bizarrly, I didn't think about just covering the whole thing with landscape fabric. I'd have been out there cutting little rectangles. The soil should warm up nicely for you. It also occurs to me that even in my area raised beds would allow earlier plantng, I would think, or at least faster germination. You'll have to post pics of the plants!

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2009
3:04 AM

Post #6311031

of course it's helping... I am sure I am not the only one lurking
Anitabryk2
Long Island, NY
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2009
11:21 AM

Post #6311810

Absolutely! I had bought these raised beds from Gardeners in '06 - http://www.gardeners.com/Grow-Beds/VegetableGardening_RaisedBeds,34-381RS,default,cp.html - they were $15 cheeper then and I had a discount coupon as well. Anyway, I put up another due to this thread. I also pulled out my old SFG book.
gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2009
1:53 PM

Post #6312364

Anita, have you got Mel's new book? It's really well put together and very informative.
gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2009
3:57 PM

Post #6312914

onewish, please do all the lurking you want. And if you want to give me a cyber-pat on the back, I'll take that too. Well, I'm putting the separating slats on the planting beds now and then WE GET TO PLANT, WHOOPEE!

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2009
5:01 PM

Post #6313233

::::patting::::

NisiNJ
Bordentown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2009
5:26 PM

Post #6313326

Dear Anita:

I also bought the grow beds from Gardener's Supply. They were so easy to put together and the plastic wouldn't ever rot. I bought three beds, and used the twelve (3-foot) sides to make TWO 3 ft x 6 ft beds. So as a result there was a fourth 3x3 foot area without having to buy afourth bed. Was so proud of myself at the time to eek out the fourth growing area. Others must have done the same, because now they sell an extension. Of course it was still expensive--Gardener's Supply always is. And I have to admit I bought some more this year.

Denise
gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2009
6:44 PM

Post #6313633

Well gang, it's all done except for the planting! Here are the pics. It'll probably be a week or more before we have pics of the planted veggies.

Finished Beds 1

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2009
6:44 PM

Post #6313638

Finished Beds 2

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2009
6:45 PM

Post #6313641

Finished Beds 3

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2009
6:46 PM

Post #6313647

Finished Beds 4

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2009
6:47 PM

Post #6313651

Finished Beds 5

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2009
6:48 PM

Post #6313660

Finished Beds 6

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2009
6:49 PM

Post #6313663

Finished Beds 7

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2009
6:50 PM

Post #6313669

Seedlings 1

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2009
6:51 PM

Post #6313671

Seedlings 2

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2009
6:53 PM

Post #6313679

It's been a lot of hard work so far, but I think it will all be worth it in the long run. Thanks to everybody for all the help and ideas, it is appreciated.

Greg

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 24, 2009
10:04 PM

Post #6314425

looks great!
drumlin
Rockport, ME
(Zone 5b)

March 24, 2009
11:56 PM

Post #6314863

*Gasp* Wow! You must be the envy of the neighborhood!! OK, so how did you make the dividers?
gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2009
11:24 AM

Post #6316439

drumlin, You can buy 4' long by 1" wide slats in a bundle of 50 for around $20-$25 per bundle at Lowes. I was going to just use string but the slats were more astetically pleasing. If you do this use a small diameter, 1" long brad to nail the slats down. Or, come to think of it you could probably use a staple gun. The slats split easily. We're expecting rain for the next 3-4 days so our planting is going to be delayed for about a week and a half.
Anitabryk2
Long Island, NY
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2009
11:41 AM

Post #6316481

Very well done.

I don't have Mel's new book. I read a few reviews on Amazon that lead me to believe that I'm fine with his first publication. Next time I'm in Border's I'll check it out.
NisiNJ
Bordentown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 28, 2009
1:05 AM

Post #6329323

Greg:

Are you going to plant those tomato (and pepper?) seedlings in early April? Won't it still be too cold? (I'm inquiring because I think I am in the same zone, and if you're going for it, I might dare too, also.)
drumlin
Rockport, ME
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2009
10:36 AM

Post #6330506

Anyone have any experience growing carrots in raised beds? I like the idea of covering the boxes with chicken wire, that makes a lot of sense. Also, is there any real reason that you can't just use good ol compost mix in the beds? What's special about "Mel's" mix?

JWLW

JWLW
Atkinson, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2009
12:06 PM

Post #6330661

Greg; There is nothing special about Mels Mix, I think in the Latest of his books he tells you how to mix your own. Or perhaps in one of his Video's.

I use 1/3 Compost, 1/3 Peat Moss, 1/3 Vermiculite as the first fill, then I add compost as I plant or as things grow. I also mulch with partially decomposed Leaves. You can also supplement with organic Fertilizer, Slow Release or water with one of the liquid type. You may also need to control the Ph a little.

One thing you have to remember is that the compost and the peat moss are decomposing and depleting
as the year go's by. You will need to keep replacing them mostly with compost as the years go by.

Look around the internet there is a lot of information out there about Gardening in raised Beds.
A good link http://www.douggreensgarden.com or just do a search for Gardening in Raised Beds.

John

This message was edited Mar 28, 2009 8:10 AM
Anitabryk2
Long Island, NY
(Zone 6b)

March 28, 2009
8:10 PM

Post #6332344

I did carrots one year and didn't have much luck. I might try it again.
TomiWildflower
Fairview Park, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2009
10:34 PM

Post #6332842

I tried carrots in mine year before last and it was awful. I think, though, that I started them too late and that my soil wasn't fine enough at that time. May try again this year - wish me luck!

I am thinking about putting in a couple of cool-weather veggies this week, though - broccoli, cauliflauer, chives, lettuce... Will they be ok? Is it too soon to start my peas (from seed)?

Crop rotation is a mystery to me, too. The chives and parsley will go into the herb garden, so not competing for space. The broc and cauli and lettuce, though, will be in the raised bed. Won't they still be working at Memorial Day - Ohio's official tomato planting day?

Thanks to all with more experience than mine...

-T.
drumlin
Rockport, ME
(Zone 5b)

March 28, 2009
10:51 PM

Post #6332909

I think the lettuce etc will be pretty much bolted by around Memorial Day. It gets pretty hot and the aphids do them in, in my experience. Or, even if they're not, they soon will be by then, so it may not make sense to try to keep pushing the envelope, and you may want to just make room for the next crop.
Anitabryk2
Long Island, NY
(Zone 6b)

March 29, 2009
1:03 PM

Post #6334763

People always speak of planting peas for St Patrick, so I'm thinking you are ok. If it were raining, I would put a few lettuce seeds out.
candyinpok
Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2009
2:46 PM

Post #6335177

Hi, I'm happy to find this thread. I bought the All New version of the book and this is inspiring me to start reading it. I've set out peas, lettuce and spinach so far and am not exactly using the square foot method as I haven't read the book yet, but I've definitely modified my layout. I plan to add some more raised beds using the square foot technique and look forward to getting advice from the crew here I hope.
gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 31, 2009
12:33 PM

Post #6344265

NisiNJ,

This is Greg's wife, Jo - I hope he doesn't mind if I hijack his ID for this reply. : )

We won't be putting the tomatoes and peppers out until mid-May probably. In the past, I have put them out in April, but they don't really grow at all until the weather warms up, and if we get a real frost, it will kill them. I have repotted all of the seedlings into 3" pots, so they have a little more room to grow. Hopefully, we'll have some nice strong plants by the time they go outside.

Yesterday, we planted some asparagus crowns that I rescued from the old veggie bed, plus strawberries, lettuce, cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower seedlings that we bought over the weekend. I'm going to try to get some seeds in today, radish, carrots, lettuce, spinach, and arugula.
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2009
12:46 PM

Post #6344311

As far as peppers this article (not long and good reading) really caught my attention. I posted it before but if you have not read it you might want to. Peppers are finiky this is part of what it says:

Pepper plants will survive as long as there's no frost or freeze. However, if you plant them out before the soil warms, they will just sulk. It's better to leave them inside under the lights if the weather is still cool. A good rule of thumb for peppers is to plant them out at least a month after your average date of last frost, or 2 weeks after setting out tomatoes.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2266/
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2009
12:54 PM

Post #6344356

The more I think about it. Last year I had to do everything by myself. I mean everything. I started with 2 rows, corn, 1 r spinich, 1 row cauliflower, 1 row, brocolli, 1 row cherry tomatoes, 3 rows beef steak, 3 rows big boys, and 3 rows romas. Then I went into the jalapeno's and bell peppers. By the time I did all the tomatoes and stuff - it had to be close to 1-2 weeks and I could not get the green bell peppers to grow to save my life. It was mid June and I plucked 1/2 the bell peppers out and replaced them. You could see the difference in the plants that I replaced! In other words - they are finiky! They dont like the cold.
NisiNJ
Bordentown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 31, 2009
7:13 PM

Post #6345928

Thank you, Jo. I guess I'll also have to keep my tomato seedlings under the fluorescent lights for awhile.

Question for anyone concerning Mel's Mix--He says in his new book to use at least five different sources of compost because each bag you buy probably contains only one type of composted material. The only bagged compost I know of locally is the "composted humus and manure" sold by K-Mart. I don't want to spend the money (+ extra S&H) to order Gardener's Supply Vermont compost. What other kinds are sold in bags? (Preferably from chain stores so there will be one near me) Thanks.
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2009
12:41 PM

Post #6348947

NisiNJ: I looked in local stores yesterday...WalMart and a hardware store both had different brands of composted manure and our local nursery had a shrimp-based compost.
gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2009
1:57 PM

Post #6349229

The soil we used is a combo of top soil, mushroom compost and Bumper Crop. Jo says that is very "fluffy" and I must agree. We started planting (YAY!) day before yesterday and as usual I have pics. We planted several varieties of lettuce, cabbage, red and green grapes, mesclun, arugula, leek, rainbow carrots, mustards, ching-chiang (what is that anyway?), beets, half long carrots, spinach, cosmic purple carrots, radish, watermelon radish, romaine lettuce, summertime lettuce, sugar snap peas and swiss chard. We have a lot of seeds still to plant but we'll rotate them as the summer gos by. Here are the pics.

Planting 1

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2009
1:58 PM

Post #6349232

Planting 2

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2009
1:59 PM

Post #6349241

Planting 3

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2009
2:00 PM

Post #6349245

Planting 4

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2009
2:01 PM

Post #6349251

Planting 5. These are the grapes, green on the left, concord on the right.

This message was edited Apr 1, 2009 10:04 AM

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2009
2:02 PM

Post #6349255

Planting 6

Thumbnail by gbwhite

Kassia
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2009
2:10 PM

Post #6349296

great thread...

90% of my garden are raised beds... all my veggies are on raised beds... I just mix and add to the soil every year! really cool... I plan to add more this year...

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2009
2:14 PM

Post #6349315

nisi, we're going to make sure that all the extremely cold weather is gone before we plant the tomatoes and peppers. And yes, keep your tomatoes and peppers under flourescent light until it warms up.

JWLW, It seems like we all use a different soil for planting. We ought to put our heads together at summer's end and see which did the best.

Candyinpoc, I think we all use variations to Mel's book. For me to follow his instructions to the letter would be way too costly.

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2009
2:16 PM

Post #6349323

Kassia, what do you plan to grow this year?
Kassia
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2009
2:18 PM

Post #6349335

so pretty and organized! you are doing such a great job... just imagine when you are eating your goodies... so yammyyyyy!
Kassia
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2009
2:30 PM

Post #6349383

one of the beds will be an experiment - the 3 sisters... according to the native americans... corn, beans and pumpkins...

tomatoes basil and garlic (4) my family is big on tomatoes...
pepers, basil and scalions
one with lettuce, arrugula
leaks, chives, scalions, parsley, tarragon, rosemary,
cukes, zuccini, beans (4 different )

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 2, 2009
1:31 AM

Post #6352390

I know where I am heading for a salad when I am bored
Anitabryk2
Long Island, NY
(Zone 6b)

April 2, 2009
10:36 AM

Post #6353652

I plant my garlic in October and it is starting to perk up now. I'm thinking of paying close attention to companion planting as well. As an example, I will plant some borage with my basil and tomatoes. I am also interested in rotating crops and it's necessity or not. If anyone else is interested in companion planting, this is an excellent bit of info - http://www.geocities.com/green_cache/companion.html
Kassia
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2009
3:13 AM

Post #6357575

Allison come over... hope all grows ok...

today I surveyed my garden... oh I have so much work... so I hope to do some real cleaning tomorrow morning... actually I am excited about it... today I just rested because the week was really stressful...to say the least...

I am doing companion plants also... I am thinking of where I have some plants and mix some of my veggies with that... I just read today that celery - marigolds, snapdragon and daisies are good to each other...
so far marigolds seems to be a good companion for everything... and I love marigolds... I have tons of onions and chives among the roses... I am glad I do... this year I am adding leeks...
drumlin
Rockport, ME
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2009
11:53 AM

Post #6366578

GB, your garden looks great, real progress. Kassia, since I've seen your gardens in person, I can only say yes it's a lot of work, but MAN, so well worth it! Yesterday was totally yucky. I pulled weeds from the Senior Center where we meet for our garden club (keeps the rent low!) but I just cowered inside the rest of the day. Today I have so much to do, moving plants around. I agree, trying to "sample" compost from here and there would be way too costly. I'll be interested to see the analysis at the end of the season as to what people actually used and how it worked.
TomiWildflower
Fairview Park, OH
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2009
3:54 PM

Post #6367352

Regarding the compost multi-source dilemma: Don't forget about your local Starbucks, which gives away their used coffee grounds for compost and soil additive.

JWLW

JWLW
Atkinson, NH
(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2009
11:59 PM

Post #6420758

What happened did you all go on vacation or something ??
Very quite on this thread lately, are you waiting for things to grow ??

Go over and look at my blog some good bird pictures there.
http://jwlwgardens.com

John

Thumbnail by JWLW

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2009
8:42 AM

Post #6422594

Here are some pics of our new babies, things are coming along well. We're getting concerned about our tomatoe plants though. We're still getting an occasional frost which will kill the plants. We bought a mobile greenhouse and are going to move the tomatoes into it and expose them to the outside during the day so that they can start getting acclimated to the outdoors. Here are the new pics:

Watermelon Radish

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2009
8:44 AM

Post #6422596

Quinault Strawberries

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2009
8:45 AM

Post #6422597

Spicy Mix Mesclun

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2009
8:47 AM

Post #6422598

Ching-Chiang

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2009
8:49 AM

Post #6422599

Green Grapes

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2009
8:50 AM

Post #6422601

Concord Grapes

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2009
8:51 AM

Post #6422603

Cabbage and Broccoli

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2009
8:53 AM

Post #6422604

White Cloud Cauliflower

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2009
8:54 AM

Post #6422605

Great Lakes Head Lettuce

Thumbnail by gbwhite

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2009
10:52 AM

Post #6422699

looks like everything is growing nicely
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2009
12:49 PM

Post #6423045

Anyone know of local (CT) sources for the coarse vermiculite specified in "Mel's Mix"?
None of our local nurseries, garden stores, hardware stores or Lowe's carry it.
I've found several mail-order sources on the net, but the shipping charges almost double the price quoted. I wonder if Coconut coir plus water-absorbent polymers would be a good substitute?

JWLW

JWLW
Atkinson, NH
(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2009
1:04 PM

Post #6423097

DonShirer: Try Green House Supplies I get mine from

Griffin Greenhouse & Nursery Supplies http://www.griffins.com/index.asp

There is one located in:
Griffin Greenhouse & Nursery Supplies, Inc.
20 Grandview Court
Cheshire, CT 06410
Tel: (203) 699-0919 | Fax: (203) 699-9615

check the web site for other locations.

John

Thumbnail by JWLW

drumlin
Rockport, ME
(Zone 5b)

April 18, 2009
12:51 AM

Post #6426021

Wow, gb, you're ambitious. I wouldn't have thought of grapes! Looks great!

John, I want your yard when grow up...someday I'll have that kind of quiet and privacy.
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

April 18, 2009
1:38 PM

Post #6427581

John:
Thanks for the tip. They are the first people (out of 17 other places I called) who even know that there is a difference between coarse and fine varieties. It is a 90 minute drive from here, but I guess I'll have to make it since after FedEx and UPS rate changes, the online nurseries charge more for the shipping than they do for the vermiculite!
drumlin
Rockport, ME
(Zone 5b)

April 19, 2009
10:20 PM

Post #6433591

DonS, while you're in Cheshire, stop at Cheshire Nursery, gorgeous variety of plants. Very dangerous place.
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2009
12:01 PM

Post #6436039

drumlin:
     Know what you mean. I used to stop there when I lived in Wallingford.
gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2009
2:02 PM

Post #6569633

drumlin, A very dangerous place? When I think of CT I envision quiet, serene, neighborly places...

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2009
2:05 PM

Post #6569643

I think what was meant ... dangerous to the wallet
gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2009
2:15 PM

Post #6569681

Everything is coming up great! I'm going to take some shots in the next few days so y'all can see it. Even the grapes are budding a little. The lettuce is going absolutely crazy. We're going to do the last of our planting this weekend, weather permitting. We've also been working on the front yard, Roses, Roses and more Roses. I sectioned of an area for the roses and it should look great once they start to bloom. I picked 3 varieties, Moon Dance, a white rose with large petals, Henry Fonda, a yellow rose that is beautiful and grows just the right height for making bouquets and Black Magic, a blood red rose, long stemmed but doesn't bud in large quanties unfortunately. How's everyone else's gardens coming along?

Greg
gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 19, 2009
2:16 PM

Post #6569689

onewish, that does make more sense...
drumlin
Rockport, ME
(Zone 5b)

May 20, 2009
1:45 AM

Post #6572412

Yep, that's what I meant. In fact, it's so dangerous I've avoided going, I know I'll fall in love with much too much, and I don't have the room (or funds) for anything more yet. Our garden club had a plant sale, and at the end we all "adopted" what was left. I have stuff I don't even know what it is!

GB, looking forward to your pics! Your roses sound lovely! I only have two tomatoe plants as far as veggies, but I adopted what I THOUGHT was a rose of some sort from an abandoned property, and it turned out to be a very prolific blackberry bush, so I'm rather looking forward to that, and also see if my raspberry bushes bloom this year. I cut them back rather severly. Roses and Iris are starting to show promise. This time of year right now doesn't have many blooms, but in a couple of weeks the garden will make up for it big time I'm thinking.
gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2009
11:05 AM

Post #6578032

drumlin, Raspberries usually give a large yield of berries with very little maintenance. We pulled our bushes this year because we have some much of them canned already. I wish you the best of luck with them!

Greg
gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2009
11:21 AM

Post #6582140

More veggie pics as promised. On the planting beds, some of the cross bars have warped due to the rain...which I hope is over.

Lettuce and Cauliflower
gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2009
2:35 PM

Post #6582724

Asparagus-Peppers

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2009
2:37 PM

Post #6582729

Breeder's Choice (Don't ask me, my wife labeled this one)

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2009
2:38 PM

Post #6582732

Cabbage-Onions-Tomatoes

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2009
2:40 PM

Post #6582741

Carrots-Spinach-Bok Choi

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2009
2:41 PM

Post #6582750

Corn, Just planted about 1 1/2 weeks ago, not much growth yet.

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2009
2:42 PM

Post #6582756

Grapes-Peppers

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2009
2:44 PM

Post #6582766

Lettuce-Cauliflower

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2009
2:45 PM

Post #6582770

Peas-Sweet Peppers

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2009
2:46 PM

Post #6582775

Peppers-Peas

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2009
2:50 PM

Post #6582800

We finished redoing our Main garden and Rose garden today. Everything turned out great. When everything starts to bloom it's going to be an explosion of color.

Main Garden-Center View

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2009
2:51 PM

Post #6582806

Main Garden-Left Side

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2009
2:52 PM

Post #6582813

Main Garden-Right Side

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2009
2:55 PM

Post #6582826

Rose Garden-Left Side

4 yellow rose bushes in the rear, blood red roses on the outside edges in the front, white rose bushes, two in the center/front.

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 22, 2009
2:56 PM

Post #6582832

Rose Garden-Right Side

Thumbnail by gbwhite

schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

May 22, 2009
6:40 PM

Post #6583676

Great job ! Want to trade ?

Thumbnail by schickenlady

drumlin
Rockport, ME
(Zone 5b)

May 22, 2009
11:35 PM

Post #6584749

WOW, great job indeed! All those veggies, that is really amazing. You really are a lot further along, I see those peonies are popping all over the place, and mine are just about in full bud, but not quite. Your yard will look even better with the roses in bloom.

HA, SL, stinks, don't it, but the heat's a comin. I think.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2009
3:26 AM

Post #6585769

looking really nice... you should be proud
Kassia
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2009
1:27 AM

Post #6589100

wow... very hard work... looks really great... congratulations!
gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2009
3:09 PM

Post #6590899

drumlin and onewish, do you any pictures of your gardens that you can post?

Greg
gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 24, 2009
3:11 PM

Post #6590906

schickenlady, I'd trade with you, but then you'd have to pay the doctor bills after my wife got through with me :)
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

May 24, 2009
4:07 PM

Post #6591083

Yikes and everyone would have a funeral to go to after my hubby got done with both of us!
Kassia
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2009
2:23 AM

Post #6593161

lol...

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 25, 2009
9:32 AM

Post #6593922

here are my March & July shots from last year... if you want a photo overload I have pictures of when we bought the house up to two years ago... can take a long time to get through all those.. let me know if you want the links

http://picasaweb.google.com/AllisonNJ71/MarchAndJulyShots#
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

May 25, 2009
10:25 AM

Post #6593997

Husband says he will never move again. OK - maybe anger management.
drumlin
Rockport, ME
(Zone 5b)

May 25, 2009
11:55 AM

Post #6594154

Very cool pics...I love the Before and After effects! I'll try to take more pics later today, the ones I have are a little old.
gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 29, 2009
7:25 AM

Post #6612718

onewish, I love your house especially the window. Your gardens are great and show all the time and love you've put into them. I'd love to see more pics whenever you have the time.

Greg

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 29, 2009
9:38 AM

Post #6612814

oh my... thank you
DonShirer
Westbrook, CT
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2009
8:14 PM

Post #6622943

Just as an experiment I built two square-foot beds this year. Naturally the day after I started planting, I spotted a rabbit casing the joint. In self-defense I added the rabbit-bane covers–netting on the ends of the near one, chicken wire on the far one. So far, so good. (My DW asked if the plant marker at right is to scare the creatures to death. Not such a hare-brained idea!)

Thumbnail by DonShirer

schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

May 31, 2009
9:47 PM

Post #6623281

I cant understand why some people have problems with rabbits. They used to be abundant up here but "IF" you ever see one the chances of winning the Powerball is more likely...

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2009
9:43 AM

Post #6625307

LOL... yes it does look like eyes
gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2009
1:43 PM

Post #6625961

Greg's wife here, adding my two cents.

DonS, we have a resident rabbit in the back yard, but so far, he has not visited the veggie beds. I don't know if it's the height of the beds, or that the weed smorgasbord in our back yard is more tasty than the veggies, but he seems content to munch away at ground level. The real test will be in the next week or two, when the beans begin to sprout.

The funniest thing is that the rabbit seems unconcerned by the presence of our golden retriever. Of course, the golden pays absolutely no attention to the rabbit, and practically tripped over it once before she noticed it!

Jo

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 1, 2009
1:57 PM

Post #6626022

oh geese... and hello Jo!!
drumlin
Rockport, ME
(Zone 5b)

June 2, 2009
1:06 AM

Post #6628550

Between the rabbits and deer and chipmunks, I should get stock in that Deer Away stuff. DonS, that looks positively impenetrable! Just too bad you need it in the first place, but I think you have something there. With the worse winter than usual the deer and rabbits really did a number on the new growth. I really don't grow vegetables, although I do have a row of carrots as an experiment. Let's see what Bugs does with that!
gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 20, 2009
11:24 PM

Post #6843639

Some random pics of the latest shape of the garden. Everything is coming along nicely. We have lettuce, cauliflower, carrots, tons of peppers and tomatos, grapes, chard, cherry tomatoes, several varieties of corn, asparagus, and more that doesn't come to mind. Here's the pics...

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 20, 2009
11:25 PM

Post #6843643

And more

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 20, 2009
11:26 PM

Post #6843645

And more. You'll have to guess at what the pics are, I'm still learning

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 20, 2009
11:27 PM

Post #6843648

And more,

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 20, 2009
11:28 PM

Post #6843655

And more.

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 20, 2009
11:30 PM

Post #6843664

And still more

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 20, 2009
11:31 PM

Post #6843669

We're getting there

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 20, 2009
11:33 PM

Post #6843679

More to go.

Thumbnail by gbwhite

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

July 20, 2009
11:34 PM

Post #6843688

Looking great! What a bounty!
gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 20, 2009
11:34 PM

Post #6843689

More yet...

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 20, 2009
11:35 PM

Post #6843692

Still more.

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 20, 2009
11:36 PM

Post #6843695

A few more.

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 20, 2009
11:37 PM

Post #6843700

And finally folks...

Thumbnail by gbwhite

gbwhite
Abington, PA
(Zone 6b)

July 20, 2009
11:38 PM

Post #6843713

Jan23, It's really been a lot of fun learning how to garden!
drumlin
Rockport, ME
(Zone 5b)

July 21, 2009
12:20 AM

Post #6843900

HOLY GREENERY, BATMAN! Looks like your backyard has become Eden! I've never seen a square foot gardening project in this much detail, it's sure inspiring. Now that you have all the boxes set up it should be cake to do this year after year. Good job! Keep us updated as your crops continue.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

July 21, 2009
2:17 AM

Post #6844422

looking great.. and yummy!!!
Sofonisba
Beacon, NY
(Zone 7a)

July 21, 2009
4:35 AM

Post #6844916

Wow! That's a lot of food! Those carrots look perfect. Nice!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other High Yield Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Plant spacing jkehl 25 Apr 26, 2011 11:01 AM
How can you tell if you have enough space? sowersjoy 12 Mar 5, 2007 2:32 PM
Designing Raised Beds for Veggies CultivatingKate 24 Mar 25, 2013 1:20 PM
Container growing vs. raised bed growing yields silverglow 63 Dec 1, 2011 7:34 PM
Square Foot Gardening (SFG) construction pics 1_Lucky_Texan 55 May 20, 2013 7:02 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America