Photo by Melody

Article: Uncommon Nutrition from the Common Fig ~ Ficus carica: Good article!

Communities > Forums > Article: Uncommon Nutrition from the Common Fig ~ Ficus carica
bookmark
Forum: Article: Uncommon Nutrition from the Common Fig ~ Ficus caricaReplies: 6, Views: 45
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

February 25, 2009
1:52 PM

Post #6187830

Diana, I bought 2 different figs last summer... they are marginal here and I have no experience with figs.

This winter, my 2 pots have been stored in my root cellar and it's nearly time to bring them out and check for survival. If they are alive, I now have a place to plant them... and with your help, some idea of winter protection. The larger fig (variety is on the tag but not committed to memory) came with 2 small fruits, but both eventually fell off before maturing. I'm assuming the early fruiting was because of the initial greenhouse growing conditions.

The other one is a Brown Turkey Fig... well, at least a small rooted seedling of it. Both will be interesting to watch.

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2009
2:55 PM

Post #6188071

Hi Darius,

It is great you have a root cellar. We don't have one. Our neighbor has a deep hole in the ground with a cover as her root cellar. It works great for storing her dahlia tubers.

You saw the photo of our little stick, I hope it survives too. Assuming it does, as soon as the weather warms up we are going to dig it up and move it. I planted our fig tree too near a trellis and our brick path walkway. After learning how figs have shallow, lateral root systems, we thought we should move it or roots may interfere with the bricks. Harry installed the path himself and would not be a happy camper if it got ruined!

All the best with your new fig trees.

Happy & Healthy Gardening,
~Diana

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

February 25, 2009
6:38 PM

Post #6188979

Diana, love your article! My granddad had a fig tree in his yard and I loved the figs. They have to be covered during the winter, but in the paste few years I saw some of them were left uncovered and they survived...maybe it's just because the winters aren't so cold as they used to be. One more thing, like a curiosity : I had a fig tree growing out of no where, in front of our building...my guess is someone threw a fig in the garden and it just popped up!
Adina

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2009
8:04 PM

Post #6189292

Thanks Adina,

I can't wait to taste fresh picked figs. And I heard figs do pop up in spots where they weren't planted. I'm wondering if when I dig up ours and move it, if it will regrow in that spot.

Be well,
~Diana
dpmichael
Rethymno, Crete
Greece
(Zone 10b)

February 25, 2009
9:10 PM

Post #6189565

Diana, many thanks for mentioning all my comments, as well as for publishing my photos.

Your very informative article on fig nutrition value helped me understand why dried figs proved so helpful during my army service: At boot camp, where food was in shortage for about a month, for training purposes, I found that a few dried figs in the pocket would keep the stomach happy while playing war - no need for fridge, or can or packing, no juices no mess. In your table today I found the excellent calorie and mineral and fiber values that prove why they were so popular. Thank you.

I wish you every success in your studies and hope your fig tree will thrive in its new place

Dimitri

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2009
10:46 PM

Post #6189934

Hi Dimitri,

Thank you...and many thanks to you for sharing your comments and fantastic fig photos with all of us ^_^

Best wishes for a bountiful fig harvest this year,
~Diana
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2009
2:40 AM

Post #6191065

The very first thing I do when I move is plant a Brown Turkey fig tree! I dig that hole 3 times the size I need, fill it with sand, plant the tree and have figs in a year's time. It has not one leaf on it now, but will post it this summer as I gather my very favorite fruit!
Thanks
gail

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Uncommon Nutrition from the Common Fig ~ Ficus carica Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
And don't forget... LLMac 11 Mar 2, 2009 10:41 PM
Some more historical information jeffinsgf 1 Feb 25, 2009 7:58 PM
Fig Trees Skyflower1 3 Mar 3, 2009 11:16 PM
barren fig tree ZEZE49 1 Mar 3, 2009 10:57 PM
Black Marseilles (Marseilles VS) Fig ericlhyman 0 Jun 4, 2009 8:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America