Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Uncommon Nutrition from the Common Fig ~ Ficus carica: Some more historical information

Communities > Forums > Article: Uncommon Nutrition from the Common Fig ~ Ficus carica
bookmark
Forum: Article: Uncommon Nutrition from the Common Fig ~ Ficus caricaReplies: 1, Views: 28
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jeffinsgf
Brighton, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2009
5:32 PM

Post #6188693

Thomas Jefferson was a big fan of the fig. He grew several varieties at Monticello and experimented with the viability of figs as a commercial crop in the United States. There is a marvelous stand of figs on the southwest side of Monticello's vegetable garden. I bought two Marseilles fig trees from the Monticello greenhouse last summer. They did well all year and in the fall I built a small fence around each and filled it with cedar chips. They're just a little larger than Diana's "stick". I've placed them against the southern facing brick wall of our home. I'm hoping the house will protect them and that I can keep them pruned within the confines of the eaves. If I never get a single fig, their foliage alone earns them a place in my garden.

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2009
7:58 PM

Post #6189268

Hi, thanks for the historical info. I didn't know Jefferson was a fig fan too. I wasn't sure where Monticello was and looked it up. Here is the link if anyone else is interested: http://www.monticello.org/visit/directions.html Monticello is in Charlottesville, VA.

I agree fig foliage is pretty spectacular ^_^

Happy & Healthy Gardening,
~DW

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Uncommon Nutrition from the Common Fig ~ Ficus carica Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
And don't forget... LLMac 11 Mar 2, 2009 10:41 PM
Good article! darius 6 Feb 26, 2009 2:40 AM
Fig Trees Skyflower1 3 Mar 3, 2009 11:16 PM
barren fig tree ZEZE49 1 Mar 3, 2009 10:57 PM
Black Marseilles (Marseilles VS) Fig ericlhyman 0 Jun 4, 2009 8:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America