Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Uncommon Nutrition from the Common Fig ~ Ficus carica: Some more historical information

Communities > Forums > Article: Uncommon Nutrition from the Common Fig ~ Ficus carica
bookmark
Forum: Article: Uncommon Nutrition from the Common Fig ~ Ficus caricaReplies: 1, Views: 28
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jeffinsgf
Brighton, MO
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2009
5:32 PM

Post #6188693

Thomas Jefferson was a big fan of the fig. He grew several varieties at Monticello and experimented with the viability of figs as a commercial crop in the United States. There is a marvelous stand of figs on the southwest side of Monticello's vegetable garden. I bought two Marseilles fig trees from the Monticello greenhouse last summer. They did well all year and in the fall I built a small fence around each and filled it with cedar chips. They're just a little larger than Diana's "stick". I've placed them against the southern facing brick wall of our home. I'm hoping the house will protect them and that I can keep them pruned within the confines of the eaves. If I never get a single fig, their foliage alone earns them a place in my garden.

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2009
7:58 PM

Post #6189268

Hi, thanks for the historical info. I didn't know Jefferson was a fig fan too. I wasn't sure where Monticello was and looked it up. Here is the link if anyone else is interested: http://www.monticello.org/visit/directions.html Monticello is in Charlottesville, VA.

I agree fig foliage is pretty spectacular :-)

Happy & Healthy Gardening,
~DW

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Uncommon Nutrition from the Common Fig ~ Ficus carica Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
And don't forget... LLMac 11 Mar 2, 2009 10:41 PM
Good article! darius 6 Feb 26, 2009 2:40 AM
Fig Trees Skyflower1 3 Mar 3, 2009 11:16 PM
barren fig tree ZEZE49 1 Mar 3, 2009 10:57 PM
Black Marseilles (Marseilles VS) Fig ericlhyman 0 Jun 4, 2009 8:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America