-
AuthorContent
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

February 26, 2009
5:00 PM

Post #6193377

There is no primula forum, so I thought I'd post this here. I bought this special from Hortus botanicus and was extremely pleased with the plants; thought I'd pass it on to other primula lovers. Also, I'm sliding down the slippery slope of alpine collecting so I better start looking at this forum more often. LOL! I've been known to lurk, though.

http://www.hortusb.com/prsp.html

I've ordered twice from this company and they are excellent in every single way. You just cannot beat this price. Mine have not bloomed yet as I got them in the fall, but they were well developed plants with good sized crowns.

Thumbnail by Pixydish
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Leftwood
Saint Bonifacius, MN
(Zone 4a)

February 28, 2009
11:06 PM

Post #6203730

This is the right place for Primulas, IMO. You can search for other threads with "primula", but don't forget this one:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/797615/

Thanks for the info, and nice primula!
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

February 28, 2009
11:28 PM

Post #6203836

... although primula are certainly not all alpine, nor limited to or dependent on rock gardening situations... but it would be nice to have the discussions here, LOL!

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 1, 2009
12:44 AM

Post #6204178

I was at the Phila Flower Show today. I was invited to represent my local NARGS
chapter in awarding special ribbons for both rock garden & primrose plants. (Our
NARGS chapter has some arrangement with the local chapter of the primrose
society).

Here are the two we awarded a special ribbon to on behalf of the Primrose Society

#1 Primula Allionii

Thumbnail by Tammy

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 1, 2009
12:45 AM

Post #6204181

And #2 a trough of four P. Allionii

Thumbnail by Tammy

altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

March 1, 2009
1:04 AM

Post #6204238

Are the spring-blooming primulas blooming in your area already, Tammy, or are those specimens that were grown indoors? (I guess another possibility is in an alpine house, but I don't know if your area is so wet that such things are common?)

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 1, 2009
1:24 AM

Post #6204295

There's still snow on the ground here. Everything is forced. I believe
the gentleman who won many of the ribbons has an alpine house.

I'll probably have a few early blooms in another month. The spring does
warm the ground (in winter).
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2009
3:05 AM

Post #6204609

I put the link here because the special is for P. auricula and I understand these to be alpine primulas. Is this not so?
Those are just beautiful! I hope to grow a number of alpine primulas.

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2009
3:12 AM

Post #6204648

Enjoyed those primroses very much, Pixy & Tammy. The swelling of hickory and sassafras buds and pulling back of calyxes (spelling?) of spice bush and box elder and flowering of maple buds - we have been enjoying them tremendously in our walks of in recent days - but your primrose flowers are quite the desert.

That alpine house must be heaven right about now.
Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2009
11:01 AM

Post #6223912

Seeing those primula lifts one's spirits when you are still embedded deep in winter. I have taken a few primula out of the cold house at work to 'force' for our artists. We have a group of artists who viist our BG on a regular basis to paint. This years theme is alpines as it happens. Maybe in a couple of weeks I'll have some primula to post!
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 6, 2009
6:04 AM

Post #6228100

Excellent!! That would be wonderful to see.
congminglaoshi
Tuckahoe, NY

March 8, 2009
1:17 AM

Post #6235645

Thanks for the info about the special, I just got my order of auriculas (after seeing Pixydish's note) plus some calla bulbs on special and I am very pleased with what Hortus sent. The auriculas look great, I can see incipient flower spikes on two of them already.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

March 8, 2009
7:22 AM

Post #6236803

That's great! When they bloom, please post a photo. Mine are still getting through the winter, but they are looking good.
Peony_Anne
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 5b)

May 23, 2009
3:07 AM

Post #6585692

I just put in a request for a Primrose Forum to Dave's Garden. Anyone else who is interested in a Primula Forum should email also! Thanks.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Rock and Alpine Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
New hillside garden Tammy 88 Jul 27, 2010 6:54 AM
A arisaema sikokianum seedling Tammy 12 May 23, 2007 1:14 AM
Merry Christmas Galanthophile 40 Dec 29, 2007 6:21 PM
NARGS Seed Exchange! Tammy 67 Mar 13, 2007 7:08 AM
Hydrogen peroxide for germination taramark 6 Mar 5, 2007 10:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America