Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Supreme Winter Salads: Looks luscious!

Communities > Forums > Article: Supreme Winter Salads
bookmark
Forum: Article: Supreme Winter SaladsReplies: 7, Views: 22
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 26, 2009
11:05 PM

Post #6195026

My youngest son doesn't like oranges, but I suspect it is primarily a gripe with the texture of the membranes. I bet he'd like them supremed! I never knew that was what it was called. You learn something new every day!

Angie
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 27, 2009
2:10 AM

Post #6195724

If he's old enough to be trusted with a knife, teach him to supreme his own after the first few go down well... it's a great technique, but it's time consuming. With grapefruit, BTW, you've got bigger sections and sturdier membranes, so you can peel the fruit and deconstruct it as you go along, separating chunks of fruit from the membrane with your fingers (no need for a knife).

I hope he'll discover a new favorite fruit!
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

February 27, 2009
2:38 AM

Post #6195870

Jill: Your salads make me drool, because I love baby greens and anything! Here's one you might want to try:

Mixed baby greens
walnut pieces
dried cranberries
blue cheese chunks

Raspberry balsamic dressing

That's it. It's divine.

Angie
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 27, 2009
4:24 AM

Post #6196292

That does sound divine... but I want to put oranges in it, too!

I added some banana chunks to a salad the other day, with catalina dressing... don't knock it if you haven't tried it, LOL.

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2009
11:12 PM

Post #6199433

Mmmm, Angie, sounds great! One of my favorite salads is spinach and baby greens, with fresh strawberries, orange sections, and catalina dressing. I bet bleu cheese would be great with it, too!

The Other Angie (as opposed to The Other White Meat)

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 27, 2009
11:55 PM

Post #6199590

ROFL

I picked up spinach today and grapefruit... going to experiment... bleu cheese, sesame, or both? ;-)

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2009
12:11 AM

Post #6199663

I haven't experimented much with sesame seeds. I'll put that on my to-do list! I do love sunflower seeds on a salad, though. Gives you the salty kick and crunch, without the guilt of bacon bits! LOL
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 28, 2009
12:45 AM

Post #6199778

*sigh* yet another New Year's resolution... feel guilty about bacon bits... LOL

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Supreme Winter Salads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
yum phicks 3 Feb 27, 2009 4:25 AM
washington navel orange tree patd654 1 Mar 2, 2009 7:04 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America