Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Clean and Clutter-free: Heavy, cooked on grease, some is burnt

Communities > Forums > Clean and Clutter-free
bookmark
Forum: Clean and Clutter-freeReplies: 22, Views: 219
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 26, 2009
11:11 PM

Post #6195046

I found DH's big fryer (4 gal. aluminum) out in the shed. OMG He put it away dirty, looks like his grease splashed out at some point and caught fire - lots of black drip lines and around the bottom, with lots of grease drip lines (looks red) all down it.
I've scrubbed it a lot already and it isn't cleaning up too easy. Do you have any tips?
rebeccanne
Gold Beach, OR
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2009
12:17 AM

Post #6195294

The best cleaner I have found for grease is Greased Lightening. It takes all the built up grease off under the hood and on kitchen cabinets that are sticky with kitchen grease. You don't need gloves, it will dry out your hand but is not toxic. Works well for me, I use it in laundry, bathroom and kitchen. Smells nice too. I get it in gallon refills and its not expensive.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2009
12:44 AM

Post #6195413

Just back from the military grocery store and I didn't see it, didn't see anything that looked like it was worth buying. I hope that WalMart has it, have you seen it there?
rebeccanne
Gold Beach, OR
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2009
2:14 AM

Post #6195749

Walmart does have it, even the local grocery stores here have it, its getting to be fairly common, a really good cleaner.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2009
2:16 AM

Post #6195765

The other thing you might try unless it's got a nonstick finish (which it sounds like it doesn't!) is the Magic Eraser. It'll scrub off stuff that nothing else will get rid of.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2009
2:44 AM

Post #6195904

This is too thick for the magic eraser, I tried it too. I'm heading to wally world tomorrow when this storm passes. Thanks you two! :-)

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 12, 2009
2:23 PM

Post #6255786

I'm not sure about the material your pot is made from, but if you local home agent says you can, you can put it in the oven and run the cleaning cycle. It will eat all that carbon off.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

March 12, 2009
2:46 PM

Post #6255893

I guess that it is aluminum. Would that be ok? It would have to fit into the oven on it's side and hope that it wouldn't warp. What temperature can I do it on without ruining the aluminum? Can it go to 500+?

I have tried the geased lightening, spray and wipe cleaner degreaser (commercial product), engine degreaser, cream tarter paste, Mr clean sponges, a metal scrubbie that wears it off (along with my shoulder), totally awesome orange, bon ami, and others that I have thrown out when emptied.

The inside is blackened from a reaction to some cleanser and when I used the cream tartar paste, it didn't remove it. (!?)

I have the same kind of black reaction in my stanless steel kitchen sink where it dripped off of the pot. I have tried everything to no avail. The tarter paste lightened it a little after 24 hours.
The harder I work, the more behind I get...
The sink needs fixing first now

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2009
2:50 PM

Post #6255913

Try oven cleaner although it MAY discolor the aluminum.

Doug
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

March 12, 2009
2:59 PM

Post #6255962

I'm pretty sure that it will. I am at the point that I'm probably going to pitch it and go to a restaurant supply place and buy a replacement (ouch)

Using these chemicals has now stained my NEW stainless steel sink. Got any tips for taking a black stain out of it?

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2009
3:00 PM

Post #6255971

Brillo pad?
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

March 12, 2009
3:05 PM

Post #6255992

I've tried that, maybe too gently. I'll try again with more pressure.

woodspirit1

woodspirit1
Lake Toxaway, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 15, 2009
12:53 PM

Post #6269727

l only recommend the oven method if the handle is metal too. If it is plastic or wood, you got problems.
Heavy work with steel wool will scratch your pan so severly that everything will stick to it. You can only use steel wool on pans made of iron, which is harder than steel.
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

March 15, 2009
1:35 PM

Post #6269912

The pot is 15" tall and 12" wide with thick metal handles. The typical "turkey frying" sized pot. It will fit in the oven on it's side. I'm just not ready to try that. I don't have a convection oven and I worry about warping the pot.
2vernes
Blytheville, AR
(Zone 7a)

March 15, 2009
7:50 PM

Post #6271463

How about spraying the pot with straight ammonia and wrapping in a garbage bag tied up. Outside, of course. That is the way we used to clean the stoves eyes a long time ago. Let it sit for a few hours and then wash it down with a water hose. Just a thought--good luck. Laverne
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

March 15, 2009
9:05 PM

Post #6271746

Duh!!! The one thing that I know that works and didn't even think to try! Thanks, I'll do it next week when it gets warmer outside.
DavinoFamily
Papillion, NE

July 11, 2012
11:04 PM

Post #9202337

Help! We just moved into our new house and ewwwwww! I pulled the stove out from the wall to clean underneath and behind and was shocked to find a layer (at least 1/2 in thick) of old food/grease runoff all the way down the side of the appliance. We tried every product that we could find and it won't touch it. It's a black gas stove if that makes a difference.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

July 12, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9202572

If there's a layer that thick, I think you'll have better luck if you get a paint scraper or something like that and scrape off as much of it as you can first. Then when it's down to a thinner layer of grease, scrubbing with some of the products suggested above will probably work better.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

July 22, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9214225

First of all...great to see you posting Juney...long time, no see. Sorry to hear that this appliance is giving you such worry. I am with Postmandoug and believe that a spraying or two of the Oven Cleaner stuff might work for you...same precaution as working with ammonia...do it with lots of ventilation. It will be interesting to hear if any of this has worked. Good luck...

Also saying hello to another stranger to me for some time now. Hello Rebecca in Oregon. Gosh, been years and years since hearing from you. So glad that you wrote too and reminded me of yet another person who I always admired and cared for from Dave's. I hope this finds you doing well and life treating you well also. I recall years back reading your posts describing your mornings along the coast and just how peaceful and serene the area seemed to be. Hope it is still a little piece of heaven for you.

Ruby
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

July 25, 2012
11:04 AM

Post #9218173

June, HOW ARE YOU?! It seems forever since we have chatted!

I have found Magic Erasers are the answer to getting off built up grime of any kind. If it can be soaked in ammonia, that will soften the gunk, then the magic eraser will just cut right through it! Ruby is right - ALWAYS wear rubber gloves and use chemicals in a well-ventilated area, like OUTDOORS!
JuneyBug
Dover AFB, DE
(Zone 7a)

July 26, 2012
6:43 AM

Post #9219186

Teehehehe My last posting up there was in March of 2009 ^_^ ! I never did get that big pot all of the way clean - the oil had been burnt on too well and the aluminum was so black from the ammonia and oven cleaner that I ended up painting it, drilling some holes in the bottom and putting a plant in it☺ for the thrift shop to sell. The stainless steel sink - I just kept rubbing with steel wool until I had ground the black off...I still feel bad about ruining a brand new sink. I now >closely< read the labels on cleansers to make sure that they can be used on metal...

I have lived in apartments since I moved to Korea and boy-o-boy, is that a different kind of life! No garage/workshop, no gardens, no decks, no firewood to split for winter, no pets...I have turned into the Queen of couch potatoes and just sit around reading most of the week☺I am loving it! I only wish that I had been here 15-20 years ago when the exchange rate was so favorable for dollars; now it is an almost even exchange and it is a bit more expensive here than the US for most things.
We will probably be coming back to Somewhere in the US this summer or fall. The military doesn't give it's civilian workers the kind of advance notice that we had gotten used to in the Army - Lonnie tells me that it could be as little as a 45 day notice to move! Personally; I can't wait to be able to go shopping in stores that have my sizes! At 5 feet 4 inches tall, I am able to look Over the heads of more than half of the people here and it has been impossible to shop for clothing! I always wanted to be tall, but this is weird...

We are hoping that we will end up somewhere that has warm winters. When we first lived here we lived up by the DMZ at Camps Casey/Hovey/Mobile in DongduCheon/TDC and the area experienced the worst winters in over 60 years! After a couple of cold winters, we moved down to the southeast and it is a lot warmer, though it still is cold enough for snow & ice☺

How are all of Y'all?
rubyw
Crozet, VA

August 13, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9239825

Juneybug...thanks so much for the update and the interesting stories of living in Korea. How funny about feeling tall at 5'4." hilarious. Anyway...I love hearing llittle tidbits like that...a person doesn't often sit and think about things like that. All so interesting to hear about how others in the world live.

What a great idea for making use of the burnt pan. That was very clever or you. I love glassware and often I will have china pieces or figurines that are damaged, and if they are eye catching and the mar can be hidden, I will stick them in a potted plant just to liven up things a bit. I have a beautiful colonial girl in one of my taller plants, and it looks as though she is lounging around under the tall magnolias.

Anyway...If you are coming through Virginia on any traveling, please let me know. If you plan a return to the Lexington area, I would love to meet for lunch or something. Please report your moving plans when you have them. Heck, it was so much fun for me to read your journal of sorts over the years that you were packing up to go to Korea. I enjoyed your wit and acceptance of the situation and hope that you will afford us the same as you plan to move back on American ground. You are a real trooper.

Take care and don't be gone so long next time.

Waving hello to Kay.

Ruby
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 13, 2012
9:14 AM

Post #9239988

Waving back, Ruby!!!!!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Clean and Clutter-free Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Anyone enjoy TLC's "Clean Sweep"? gardenwife 22 Jun 24, 2008 12:44 AM
Favorite bathroom cleaner? Terry 79 Nov 9, 2013 2:05 AM
Do you do this? Terry 11 Sep 22, 2009 5:16 AM
Dog Slobber levilyla 24 Nov 4, 2012 3:33 PM
Vacuums Yuska 99 Jan 5, 2011 9:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America