This gourd is the only big one I got this year, it rotted and caved in, in the most awful way. Well, I've had it on my mind for a very long time and it has been dry for awhile now. This is how it came out!
It was growing and the tile layers here dumped all their grout out of their buckets into my garden, then it stopped and started to rot and just caved in. I did save all the seeds and it dried but has some scarring. It is 20 inches long and about 20 inches around, I just know it would have gotten a lot bigger if not for this mishap.
I broke the stem off while working on it, but will glue it back on this week, it is going to class with me tomorrow. I don't know if I will patina it black or not. I might do that in class.
Thank you guys, it was on my mind all summer last year as it was growing, and then over the fall, and winter... well, I'm just glad it didn't all cave in.. DH liked it, but, I spent all day on it today, I washed it yesterday and the darned thing was full of mold.
I took this gourd to my class one day, and now, I'm going to be teaching classes, so this will be one of the projects that hopefully will be done at the end of the stained glass class if there is time. Very interesting how we can use different mediums on these gourds.
I'm teaching class and have a trip to Albuquerque planned for my Granddaughter's birthday during that time. She will be 13... gosh, do I remember those days. We will get together some day I'm sure.