Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beauty and Fashion Tips: Pedicure .. general questions ...

Communities > Forums > Beauty and Fashion Tips
bookmark
Forum: Beauty and Fashion TipsReplies: 24, Views: 146
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

February 27, 2009
9:28 PM

Post #6199048

Well .. after years of wanting to go .. and ALMOST making an appt .. i am finally going to go and have a pedicure ..

Have heard varying reports on how people like'em, most in the positive.

Wondering if anyone in the forum is 'into' pedicures :-)

~M~
geraldine87
West Warren, MA

March 6, 2009
9:01 AM

Post #6228257

Hi, hope your pedicure worked out great.
I like to have mine done for sandal season in MA.!! The polish lasts a long time.
I don't care for a lower leg massage, foot massage was great!!
I ask my kids for a gift certificate every year for Mothers' Day if they can afford it.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 6, 2009
11:53 AM

Post #6228401

Hiya ..

Can you believe it .. I cancelled the appointment .. it was for this Saturday at 9am .. I have NO idea why I backed out .. but .. I did ..
I put out a general email to the women on my email list here in Thunder Bay .. just looking for an esthetician who did them and SOMEONE would recommend .. got a couple of names .. but am still hesitant.
Knowing me .. I'll finally get up the nerve to do it, and be a regular customer !!!

Thanks so much for your response

~M~
geraldine87
West Warren, MA

March 6, 2009
12:18 PM

Post #6228425

Am new to pedicures also and had many scared thoughts!
But the lady was good and will get another for 'sandal' season!
Just tell the lady doing it about anything that hurts or you don't like...
Now, my nails are getting 'thick' and it is hard to cut them at times.
Good luck and do try it!!
This is cheaper than the pedicure done at senior centers.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 6, 2009
4:36 PM

Post #6229376

I'm chuckling away here ... I did the ages old 'HACK JOB' myself a few days back .. my problem is I have carpal tunnel in both wrists .. so it makes it kinda difficult to do a good job ..

I am promising myself a pedicure BEFORE summer though !!!

~M~
merigold
Sioux City, IA
(Zone 4b)

March 6, 2009
11:27 PM

Post #6230885

While I think it would be nice to have lovely looking toes...I just can not bring myself to having a stranger handleing my feet. Is that wierd of me???

I do my own pedicure about every two weeks but I don't paint the nails, just too lazy!
geraldine87
West Warren, MA

March 7, 2009
1:14 AM

Post #6231280

Hope you manage to get your pedicure Marilynne, I am 65 this year and only have had 2 pedicures. Each in June for colored nails!! They seemed to keep the polish for a long time! I make a mess when doing my toes and get green when I see someone with nice toenails and polish..

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 7, 2009
11:56 AM

Post #6232660

I am still scanning the yellow pages in hopes of finding a CERTIFIED pedicurist .. call me picky .. but I would prefer to have the pedicure done by someone who actually was taught how to do it properly. I'm a nurse and I have seen some pretty wrecked tootsies .. we have chiropodists within the hospital that do foot care .. they are pretty BRUTAL .. but then .. they're working on some severe toenails too.

I LOVE painted toenails too :-) And you're so right about the polish staying on longer .. and it does look so nice ..

The quest continues :-)

~M~
geraldine87
West Warren, MA

March 7, 2009
12:52 PM

Post #6232783

Good Morning Marilynne, I am a retired nurse also so know what you mean!!
When I had my pedicures they didn't go way down like podiatrists may do..
So I had little or no irritation to nail beds. Yes, do be careful, we have seen what happens when equipment is kept cleaned.
Do try it, it only cost me $12 + $ 3 tip...was worth it ...
2vernes
Blytheville, AR
(Zone 7a)

March 7, 2009
8:35 PM

Post #6234525

Marilynne, What do you mean by certified? All manicurists have to have a license to work on people unless they are doing it illegally.. Just like hairdressers have to have licenses. They should all have their license prominently displayed. If not, try someplace else. Make sure all their equipment is sterilized. Some people take their own nail files and cuticle pushers to be on the safe side. Laverne

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 7, 2009
9:24 PM

Post #6234698

Hi Laverne ..

What I meant was licensed .. and .. I am finding estheticians in the yellow pages that are saying how amazing they are .. but not many of them seem to say the 'L' word ..

Once I firm up my list .. and actually start to SERIOUSLY call for an appt .. I will ask if the person if they are licensed .. one of the numbers I have is one from a young woman working from the basement of her home .. she is apparently quite good at pedicures, but, the person who recommended her was unsure if she had, in fact, taken a course.

Gawd .. good thing I have had my hair dresser for over 15 years .. could you imagine me looking for a new one !!!

geraldine87
West Warren, MA

March 8, 2009
12:01 PM

Post #6236993

Hi Marilynne, that is the reason I never had a pedicure before.
I go to one that is licensed and I know people who go to her...it is a regular salon.
I would wonder on the one in the cellar...
Good luck in your search!!
Come to Massachusetts and you can go to mine!!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 17, 2009
3:57 AM

Post #6278791

Never had a pedicure but the foot massage is TOTALLY worth it!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

March 17, 2009
11:36 AM

Post #6279442

Still procrastinating here ... but do have my choice narrowed down to three salons ..

GADS .. why is this so difficult !!! LoL

~M~
dividedsky
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 17, 2009
11:54 AM

Post #6279494

Pedicures are heaven! The place I go to is very clean and professional and they put you in massaging chairs while you soak your feet. It's hard to believe that I can pay someone to scuff the rough skin off my feet and clip and paint my toenails and massage my feet and calves!, but they seem to like their jobs.

Marilynne, it shouldn't be stressful; it should be a treat. Take a girlfriend and have lunch after. Relax and enjoy the foot massage. It's good to be worried about cleanliness, but unless you're going to a really nasty place, I doubt you'll pick up a horrible flesh-eating disease. :o)

If you're scared about what they do, maybe book a manicure first and sneak a look at someone getting a pedicure? I've never had anyone gouge me or make my feet bleed or anything like that, if that's what you're worried about.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 17, 2009
12:24 PM

Post #6279611

Marylyne, I think you're quite justified in being "picky". In the Houston TX area there have been horror stories on TV about unsterilized tools that infected customer nails, toes. Fungus from the tub massager that wasn't properly clean, etc. Having said that, for every horror story there are 1,000 good/non-eventful pedis which end in the prettiest toes, so keep that in mind.

Things you might want to do for your peace of mind:

1) buy your own toe cuticle scissors. Bring it w/ you every time u go to nail shop. U can also get your own nail file and pumice stone. Some people even bring their own fave polish. If you can't afford tools, then ask the shop (politely) about their sterilization practices. A good shop will not act offended, they will promptly show you. If they get haughty, run!

2) Once you find a shop, try to stick w/ the same person, she will get familiar with your personal quirks and the process will be a completely pleasurable experience

3) take a couple of deep breaths. If you are tense/fidgety, you could cause pedicurist to cut you and that wouldn't be her fault necessarily

4) There is a good and bad side to selecting a busy shop. good: they likely have the money to spend on good sterilization appliances, disposables, etc. High traffic usually means lots of experience and therefore good techniques. bad: If too busy, they may not have the time to clean as thoroughly after ea customer. I think, though, you will "feel" when a shop is right for you. It is very apparent what is a good shop vs. a bad shop, so danger of being duped after doing your research are quite minimal.

I have never been hurt in a pedi, BTW. I remember being very hesitant when looking for my first nail shop.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 14, 2009
7:22 PM

Post #6409694

WOOO HOOOO ... I did IT !!!!

Had my pedicure today and liked it so much I am going to have one every month.
The 'Spa' I chose has just opened and the young woamn who runs it is such a sweetheart .. I hope she does well ..
I was given the file, the toe spacer things and something else she used to bring home as she reuses nothing, and, she pulled her cutting scissors from a sterilizer .. altho she didn't have to use them ..

GREAT experience .. thanx for the support :-)

~M~
dividedsky
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 14, 2009
8:14 PM

Post #6409937

Yay! Glad you enjoyed it.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 14, 2009
9:24 PM

Post #6410288

Indy .. it was AWESOME !!!! The tootsies look so EVEN and painted to perfection ..

There was NO nail cutting involved .. she pushed back the cuticles/filed .. did some other thing and then some other thing .. and filed .. my toenails were short to begin with ..
The soaking thing was so NICE .. and the exfolliating stuff she uses on the heels works amazingly well ..

SO happy I SUCKED IT UP !!!!

LoL

~M~
dividedsky
Indianapolis, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 14, 2009
9:37 PM

Post #6410371

:o)
geraldine87
West Warren, MA

April 14, 2009
10:54 PM

Post #6410695

Great going Marilyn!!

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 14, 2009
11:13 PM

Post #6410783

You guys are GREAT :-)

I feel 'liberated' LoL not to mention the BEVY of other services this 'Spa' provides !!!!!

~M~

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 14, 2009
11:31 PM

Post #6410872

Glad you enjoyed it!
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 15, 2009
1:26 PM

Post #6413101

it's official, MarilynneS shall have the prettiest tippy toes in T. Bay Ontario.

MarilynneS

MarilynneS
Thunder Bay Ontario, ON
(Zone 3a)

April 15, 2009
1:55 PM

Post #6413222

It's also official that the SNOW is finally melting and just MAYBE it'll be sandal weather in about 6 weeks !!

I laughed so hard yesterday after the pedicure .. she asked if I had brought 'flip flops' I cast a look out the window to the snow bank, laughed and said 'NO' .. so .. she gave me a bright pink pair of disposable ones ..
I looked good leaving the shop in winterish wear and lil flip flops LoL

~M~

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beauty and Fashion Tips Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
mascara doghouse 22 Apr 10, 2009 1:15 AM
What base foundation do you use? konkreteblond 38 Jul 11, 2008 5:18 PM
Fine hair, help please! IO1 89 Dec 12, 2010 5:00 AM
Not meant to be ? renwings 34 May 13, 2009 10:08 PM
imitation diamond anastatia 12 Jan 8, 2009 7:51 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America