Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Ohio River Valley Gardening: ORVG COFFEE HOUSE # 146- Spring is around What Corner??

Communities > Forums > Ohio River Valley Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Ohio River Valley GardeningReplies: 198, Views: 1,900
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 28, 2009
4:20 AM

Post #6200670

We are continued from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/953978/

Thumbnail by DustyDS
Click the image for an enlarged view.

defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 28, 2009
4:28 AM

Post #6200704

Guess I will be Gretel for awhile!!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 28, 2009
7:36 AM

Post #6201102

Nope, not nesting. Trying to get a decent nights sleep! I thought if I did more during the day, maybe I could sleep at night. Here I am, second time out of bed. Grrr.

I worked on a website yesterday for a few hours then Maddie and I did some work in my room and some laundry. I gave myself a pedicure then took a shower so we could go to Carly's 5th grade D.A.R.E. Graduation. Got back home about 8:00, ate dinner. And I'm up!

We've been here 3.5 years and have hardly done anything to this house. Spent the first 2 years running back and forth to the other house. Spent the whole time running kids to school and sports and working outside. Now Craig has been home for 10 months and we can't afford to do all the stuff we could have gotten done. It's frustrating.

I figure we'll have company over the next few weeks that we don't usually have and I'm embarrassed by all the unfinished projects. :( Now that Obama has his new plan laid out, I guess the banks are going to start handing out the foreclosures again in another week or so. Yay!

Believe it or not I came out for a drink of water and all seven of "my" kids are sleeping! Yep, we have an extra again. LOL I grabbed myself a bowl of ice cream with some Hershey's syrup. Guess I'll see if anything is on TV.
Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 28, 2009
11:41 AM

Post #6201240

Those pictures were great. Now I am putting faces to names. Looks like a great time was had by all.

Are you who live so close to each other kin? Dusty Joyce and Bertie. Had to go back and check names. I will be looking at those pictures off and on as we get acquainted. Your gardens are beautiful, such a lot of love and work has gone into them.
Thanks for sharing
Veronica

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 28, 2009
12:29 PM

Post #6201288

Marcy, so sorry about your brother...will be sending many prayers...

Chele...surely does sound like nesting. Glad you got your rice socks finished. Now it's a waiting game.

George...YAY...so happy for you.

Bonnie, bummer on the painter...with so many out of work, seems like they'd want to be on time and do a good job for references!

Well...WOOHOOO!! Mom is in TCU at Otterbein. They transported her by E.M.T. Ambulette at 4:45 yesterday. She feels so much better being there and it is so close for Dad. I was told I didn't need to come unless I felt like it, so I may take the weekend off. Maybe...

We are watching Kavin tomorrow. Little baby Colby Jonathan is due in 9 weeks and they don't have the nursery ready for him so they want to work on that without any Kavin "help". :O)

Dad rode to Otterbein with Mom so I brought his car home. Mom said just bring it over sometime tonight...so I came home and had a cocktail. Bless Bill's heart, I told him before I left for the hospital that I didn't want to have to think about dinner when I got home. So when I walked in there was cubed meat in the crockpot. He had cut up the roast browned it and put it in there. I said how long has it been in there and he said about an hour... :o( I said no way is it done then and he said I browned it until the red was gone...so I ate a bite and after chewing for about a minute, spit the tough ole cow out. So I made some chicken quesadillas and let the beef continue to cook. Right when I put the plates on the table, Dad called and said, Guess what. You have my house keys AND the opener to the garage! He hadn't eaten since 11:00. So we wolfed our food down and took the car over to him.

Veronica, the answer to your question about being related will be answered differently by different people. Bertie and I are best friends, and Dusty and I are sisters...but not by blood. She adopted me as her little sis before we'd even met face to face. I've been trying to get her down her next to me for eons, and finally, God took measures and made it happen. Now she's kicking herself for waiting so long!

Thanks Ric for not showing me with a cookie stuck in my mouth for a change! :-)

Veronica...why don't you tell us about yourself and especially those 8 GCs you have!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 28, 2009
1:15 PM

Post #6201360

Just another pop in to say hi to everyone!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 28, 2009
1:17 PM

Post #6201370

Cookie, glad to hear the good news! Sounds like life is starting to return to normal.

Kimberly, how are you feeling? Hope the pain is manageable. Hugs, and thinkin' bout ya.

Marcy, I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. I couldn't say anything when you first posted, just brought back my Father's battle with bladder cancer. Do you know if he will need a Urostomy? They used radiation on Dad, and no chemo, but I think it depends on how advanced it is. Keeping y'all in my thoughts and prayers.

Chelle, did ya finally get some sleep? I don't have any problem getting to sleep, but waking at crazy hours. Lately its been 4am or so, but it was 5:30 this morning- I got to sleep in! LOL

Looks like its going to be unpleasant outside today, so I guess I'll get in on some more seeding projects. I'm thinking its about time to start the Peppers. I've been stressing to Dave the need to get a cold frame built since I'm already running out of room. There are several trays of Pansies and Snapdragons that can go outside as soon as a CF is ready or I free up some space in one of the zip up mini greenhouses. The rest of the stuff I've got started is going to need warmth for the duration, so there's a big space issue in the plant room. I've got a plan for next year- since the zip up film for the mini greenhouses will be a goner after this spring, I'll use those shelving units to attach lights to and have loads more space.

Have a great weekend everybody!
Nea
Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 28, 2009
2:49 PM

Post #6201671

Joyce I thought you would never ask.
I and my husband of 51 years(I was a baby then 5 or 6) live on a farm in Jackson Co. He is retired from Cummins Engine Co and we rent our farm out but we garden. He has a large vegetable garden and I do the flowers. I prefer the cottage look to my beds. I really admired the look of both places you showed in the pics. Someday maybe I will post a pic of mine when it gets started. I always have a lot of plans at this time of year. This morning I wsowed a few containers of annuals. I'm in a delimma as to my young plants as I am going to FL for a week and hate to leave them. Please don't tell my family.lol
I have 4 children 2 daughters and 2 sons. All are married and all live in S Indiana. The farthest away is my first son and he lives just across the river from Louisville. The other 3 live right here in my area. The grandkids are 6 girls and 2 boys. I call the girls the princesses and they range in age from 23 to 2. The boys are 30 and 19. So you see there are a lot of us when we get together. None of the grands are married so I am not a ggma. They call me Nanny.
I don't have a very exciting life but hope to share stories and happenings with you all and hope to meet some of you someday.
Veronica
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

February 28, 2009
2:54 PM

Post #6201687

Neal, depending upon what kind of zip up greenhouse you have you can get replacement covers from Farmtek for about $20 if it's the small minigreenhouse and $50-$60 if it's the big one. You might want to give that a look see.

No, George won't be taking the easy way out with lap band. A woman here at work had it done a few years ago and at any one time she couldn't eat more than about 4 bites of food at a time. I remember her saying that she bought a fried chicken meal and ate 2 bites of chicken and one spoon of mashed potatoes and that was all she could eat. She had to be very careful to follow their instructions on how and what to eat. I haven't talked to her lately but she's kept a good bit of the weight off. She's a big framed woman so she's still a good size but she moves so much better now and she said her blood pressure dropped and she just looks like she feels better. It's as much a psychological thing as it is a physical thing. We all need to remember that we eat to live, not that we live to eat. I don't hold to that way of thinking very often unfortunately! George, I doubt that those cream pies will be in the diet! LOL!!!

I think I'm going to start seeding some tomatoes. I planted my earlier ones a week or so ago but they were 2 year old seeds and they're just finally thinking about coming up. Besides, my big zip up greenhouse arrived yesterday so I have more room to get stuff going. I can get a little heater up and running in it so I'm hoping that the days of dragging plants in and out of the house is over. Haven't heard from the insurance company about my greenhouse yet. I've resigned myself to the fact that I won't have one to put plants in this year so we're making alternate plans.

Welcome Veronica! A good group you've fallen into. I have a nephew that hopes to work for Cummins just as soon as he graduates from UK this summer. He interned for them last year!

Marcy, sorry to hear of your brother. I hope things go as well as they can.

Joyce, somehow we must be related! Got to work the other day and DD called and said she sure hoped that I put the keys to the car that she needed to go to work in somewhere in the house because they weren't in the car. Well, let's get real, they were in my purse and I rode in with another person and didn't have a way to get them to her. I'm not sure why she hung up on me but I thought that was rather rude especially after I suggested that she get the spare set from her father... LOL!

Chele, sorry you can't sleep. There's nothing worse in my book not being able to sleep and the rest of the house is snoring up a storm. I fortunately haven't been having that problem lately. And glad of it. Hope you get some rest tonight.

Everyone stay warm and out of the weather if you can!
Janet

This message was edited Feb 28, 2009 9:56 AM

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 28, 2009
3:08 PM

Post #6201715

Neal you and i both know that none of us have a "normal lives " LOL were are gardeners !!
Chelle hope you got some sleep
Bonnie to bad that painter didn't show up . bummer . Yeah you would think he would need the work. ? maybe illness in his part ?
Hey msrobin how are things !
Marcy i m sorry to hear of you bro. T has an aunt who has six months and she is a ornery thing. Just negative and doesn't want to see anyone. She refused all treatment. Poor thing. I hope your bro can get some positive in him soon.
Dusty i hope those are whole wheat bread crumbs your leaving for us ? i can't do white bread. :)
ds is sick , with an upset tummy. started about 2 am. so it has been a long night. he seems better . still can't get him to hold anything down. Just glad its the weekend and not a school day.
take care
sue
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 28, 2009
3:26 PM

Post #6201781

Working on amending DS's taxes today. Got in too big of a hurry, and had another w 2 come in.

It is chilly and downright disagreeable outside. Had to go out and rescue a puppy this morning, mamma was trying to take him hunting! I just happened to look out the window as they were leaving the yard. Same old behavior. She thinks it is her responsibility to teach them young.

Well taxes won't get done with me sitting here. Will check in later.
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

February 28, 2009
3:44 PM

Post #6201881

Bonnie, if I bring my shoeboxes full of bills over will you do my taxes too?????? I asked hubbie if he has the checkbook ready for me to get started and he just gave me that blank stare. I'd better start working on him or it will be the week of April 15th and the first thing won't be done!

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 28, 2009
3:47 PM

Post #6201884

Thanks for the intro to your family, Veronica...you'll learn more about us than you ever wanted to know!!!!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 28, 2009
5:05 PM

Post #6202181

Neal when should i start flowers inside ? i have zinnias,cosmos and nastiriums. or is it better to seed outside when temps are up. ?
I was thinking of selling some plants at Farmers market this spring ?
veronica wow you got some family ! i bet the holidays are a fun time with so many . :)
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 28, 2009
5:22 PM

Post #6202269

Good morning!

I ended up being awake until after three. Then I went back to sleep until about five, up again. LOL I finally went back to sleep a little while later and managed to stay in bed until almost 8:30. Woo hoo. No wonder I'm tired all the time. I think the baby is using my bladder for a punching bag.

You guys are too funny. I pointed out that I was not nesting because I knew sure enough someone would say I was nesting which leads to too many questions about labor and having the baby. It's really not nesting. I get a burst of energy with nesting. I sure don't have any bursts of energy! I'm just forcing myself to get some of this mess taken care off. There are no signs of impending labor. :)

The baby will be here soon enough and soccer x 5 kids starts soon. That means 10 practices a week (usually M-F, M-Th if I'm lucky), then five games every Sat and some on Sun. bleck. Thank goodness spring season is only six games and no tournaments!

Hubby is down watching the shop for the neighbor again. I dropped him off so I would not be without a car. Neighbor made me come in so he and his son could harass me. He insists there is a girl baby hiding behind the boy baby. Smarty pants!

I came home and worked on the website for Jules for a bit. I guess I'll fold some laundry and wash some more. Pregnant or not, there are still lots of jobs to do...
BertieL
Franklin, OH

February 28, 2009
5:41 PM

Post #6202354

Veronica, Joyce and I are best friends and I feel like she is a sister even though she might not claim me. I love her any way. I have a lot of garden pictures but have to be shown how to get them on this forum.
Just got my computer, thanks to Joyce, this fall and have a lot to learn.
Will be anxious to have spring to get here so we can start gardening.
Need to get into the dirt and shed this winter fat. Bertie
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 28, 2009
6:11 PM

Post #6202478

Good afternoon all. Thank you all so much for the thoughts and prayers for my brother.
I still don't know much about his condition...and can't seem to find him at home to talk.
He did send another email saying they want to take the bladder, prostate, and the surrounding lymph glands. He said other than that, he didn't know about any treatments.
So I'm not sure of what they found..or how advanced it is..or anything. He's not one for a lot of words.. like me! LOL!!
If I ever get ahold of him...maybe I can find out more!
We were supposed to have a birthday party today for Ashley...but it's been cancelled...as she and Dawson are both sick. They may have it tomorrow...depending on how the kids feel. Personally, I wish they would wait until next weekend...since I have this awful cold and really don't want to be around anyone who's sick! Nor do I want them to get mine! We'll see I guess.
Well...I have a few calls to make...so better get it done!
~~~~~~~ waving to you all!!

Oh...ps...I bought SEEDS yesterday!!!!! Woohoooo...I'M READY!!!!!
Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 28, 2009
8:06 PM

Post #6202920

I'm beginning to wonder if it was a good idea to plant my vinca so early. Some are looking promising but some are really sulking. Where is Neal. Neal you have been my mentor in this as I followed you on the thread where you guys traded seeds. I just wish it would warm up a little in my garage. I have a few more going but wish they would grow faster.

Bertie, Joyce and Dusty I bet you have fun living so close. My sis is not into gardening. I have some garden club buds who are the ones i go to for my gardening fix. Now I can just get on here and talk to you all. I now click onto this thread firsst. You are addictive.

My DH just called up the stairs and asked me if I want to go to Scottsburg now and I said yes so will get off for now.

Good health and happy thoughts to all who are ill and feeling low. My BIL had us scared cause we thought his Doc suspected cancer. Yesterday they heard from his test and it was clear. A lot of prayers were answered then.
Catch you guys later
Veronica
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 28, 2009
10:13 PM

Post #6203464

Hey all! Just kinda putzing around today. Got 15 varieties of pepper seeds soaking to sow tomorrow, and took a couple of 5 gallon buckets of used potting soil and dumped them onto a bed. That's been about it, just have stayed curled up with a book.

Mention of R.Carlos Nakai's music earlier had me wanting to hear some, and being too lazy to look for the CDs at that moment I just typed him into lastfm.com. Oh what beautiful Native American and other world music I enjoyed this morning!

Sue, those seeds you mentioned are things I use the wintersowing method with, sowing them in March. That gives me nice transplants by the end of May, but if you're wanting bedding plants to sell you may want to start earlier indoors. Only dwarf Zinnias and Cosmos would work well as regular bedding plants (with the first bloom on). Magellan series Zinnias and Sonata series Cosmos are both great for staying short and having their first blooms 6-8 weeks after starting.

Veronica, have your Vinca just kind of stopped growing? That's normal for them, but watch for yellowing leaves- they prefer to be on the dry side, and if they're too moist the leaves yellow quickly. So far, so good with mine, but it does seem like they're starting to sulk a bit. These are getting their 2nd and 3rd sets of true leaves now. Oh, and they like to be warm- are yours in the cool garage? I remember Ella saying too cool temps would keep them from growing. Hmm...gonna go look at mine, LOL.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 28, 2009
11:20 PM

Post #6203790

Hi, everyone. Howie surpeised me with a night at a hotal at Easton Town Centwer. We're waiting for a table at Abuelo's, so thought I'd read, pop in and say hello. We've been married 17 years...No 51 years, here, but we're in it for the long haul! :)

No laptops tonight, just phones, so I may not post much. Not that I have laately. LOL

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 28, 2009
11:31 PM

Post #6203847

Neal when you say winter sowing , start them indoors in cells, then lights , then transplant ? sorry to be so dense :)
i have Bright Lights Cosmos
Canary Bird Zinnia
Polar Zinnia
Lavender Queen Zinnia
and Jewel Mix Nastiruim
sorry no latin names ?
i will start getting my stuff ready down in the basement.
thanks for the help Neal ! :) when it comes to flowers i m such a greenhorn. .
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2009
12:45 AM

Post #6204186

Wow!!! What a great day spent with my special Baby Sissy...

We got my lightbar for the Salt tank exchanged, ogled fishies for over an hour, went to Habitat, and I got one of those almost $100 lights that has the magnifier to do needlework or crafts, for $7...Went to St Francis thrift and I got 2 CDs (George Winston) and some jewelry beads for the Fairie sculpts, and spent $4.75...Went to HD and I got my paint for the woodwork and some SEEDS...Mostly Food seeds, only a couple more flowers... I bought some Flax, that I have never tried before...

We looked around at the light fixtures, and found some we both liked for the garage, that match very close to the ones I put on the porch from Habitat, and some for the hallways that I intend to replace soon... Didn't buy any, just looked...Cookie needed to go to Sams Club, so we went there and then came home...
A wonderful peaceful girlie day with just us away from everything...
Cookie and I are truly bonded...we can go like that and don't even have to talk, and get in a place as big as HD and go seperate directions and still never lose each other...really wierd...

Took her home, and shared some of her new Amish butter cheese, which is outta sight delish, and had a dash of a Margarita, and now I'm home...Yep, you read that right.. HER Car, I drove, and it's back in MY Garage... LOL...
I bought a wonderful overloaded Foccacia with chicken on it at Sams that I am baking, and that with Ceasar Salads is supper here shortly... No rush, as Jim is asleep in his chair in his cave...

Thanks for that link Neal...I am listening now...My son has all of my Nakai and Two Hawks CD's...and I have been in sore need of them...I miss my peace at Smoke time...I only have 2 of David Maracles, and they are good...but they don't reach me like Nakai or Two Hawks...Kinda like trying to meditate to Heavy Metal or Rap compared to Nakai or my Hawk...LOL (Seriously, I shouldn't say that, because his *Spirit Spa* CD is quite good...)

It is back down to 27* here so I plugged the pond heater back in...:-((

Is it your Anniversary Kimberley??? If so, have a happy one...if not, then kiss your dear Hubby again, and count your blessings to have one as good as yours...;-)

Off to serve the Foccacia...Salads are done...

May Creator hold you all in His hands and give you Peace this night...

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 1, 2009
1:45 AM

Post #6204361

Im off to bed
good night
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 1, 2009
2:12 AM

Post #6204452

Speaking of Native American performers, if you ever get a chance to see Bill Miller in concert...
He is absolutely brilliant guitaist, singer/songwriter and the Native American Flute Master.
His concerts are part music, part philosophy done in a very candid and in many cases troubling autobiographical style.
Mahicanuk (Mohican)-German by birth and Res raised he struggled w/
alcohol addiction and serious Family tragedies.
In concert he lays out his life, makes and accepts no apologies for his errors, and teaches humility and reconcilliation.
When he picks up the Flute it speaks his breath... there is no higher praise.

Ric

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 1, 2009
2:22 AM

Post #6204479

Home Emporium stop for some window coverings and...
well we got the floor coverings for the FPR and the Kitchen/Hall today too.

Travertine Noce (no-cha Italian for Walnut) for the FPR and a cool Porcelian for the Kit/Hall.

We lucked out on the Travertine it was marked down 30% to $2.49/sq ft.
This from a place already 40% under most flooring companies.
Lucked out again when I called our neighbor Jon from the store to see if we could borrow his rig to transport the stone.
He said his trailer was already hooked up, he didn't have anything going on...
would we like him to come over to the store?
(We figured it was going to be mid-week before we could get back.)
He showed up about 25 minutes later.
SO they skidded up the Trav and the Tile and we just plopped it on the trailer.
When we got it home another neighbor Eric dropped by and helped unload.
W/ the 4 of us it took minutes.
We offered to pay Jon...he refused...said when he does his tile we can teach him the ropes.
Done Deal!

Here's just a few examples of the stone... everyone is different...
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 1, 2009
2:28 AM

Post #6204491

This one looks like a geode

Thumbnail by henryr10

daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 1, 2009
2:29 AM

Post #6204492

Oh, George Winston! Dusty, you have been naming some of my favorite artists... Did you happen to get Winston's "Montana - A Love Story" CD? The song on there called "Montana Glide" maybe one of my very favorite songs ever. I don't want a funeral - but if I did --- that would be the song I would want played as they lowered me into the ground! I just LOVE it. Also on the same CD - his version of "You Send Me" and "Goodnight Irene"... so good it brings tears... Also love "'Ike La Ladana" from the Plains CD... If I ever am able to start playing the dulcimer again, I would like to try learn to play some of these songs with his arrangements and feeling. He was in Columbus a few months ago, and I wanted to go very much. No one I know enjoys this type of music though, and I didn't want to go downtown Columbus at night by myself.

Now if you start naming Hammered Dulcimer folks, like John McCutcheon, Dan Duggan, Craig Wagner (not the guitarist), Ken Kolodner, Jem Moore, Kendra Ward Bence... I really AM going to freak... They are all "small time" in that Hammered Dulcimer music is a small part of the music world. Kendra is from here in Ohio... I know her pretty well. When I first heard her play - must be 35 years ago now - I was amazed - the music spoke to me! I never was a rock and roll person, was always searching for "my music" and Kendra led me to it. Kendra encouraged me to attend several music festivals around Ohio, and from there, bought my first small dulcimer... Her album Way Down Yonder is still one of my favorites, although her style is all her own. I love her renditions of The Old Rugged Cross, The Old Spinning Wheel... The other people are folks I took classes from at festivals.

John McCutcheon is perhaps the most famous of the Dulcimer players. I have been to more of his concerts and teaching sessions than any others. He is fabulous. Klodner maybe more technically correct, but John is so easy on the ears!
This video was done quite a while ago-- John was much younger then... but the perspective of the camera gives you a good idea what the dulcimer is all about - - it is both percussive, like a drum and melodic -- so you can play loud and soft as you play the song. You bounce the hammers in similar fashion to the way a drummer does, but moving the hammers from one string to another during the bounces creates trills...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFinPD8n1N8&NR=1

Kendra
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUy1qqwEHBg&feature=channel

Kolodner is an amazing musician. Can play anything with strings! Talk about play a fiddle! Yee Haw! LOL Travels the world over playing. Used to play in a great band called Helicon. Still miss them. He is probably my over all favorite. I have had the luck to play at quite a few "basement" jams with Ken. He's good friends with one of my music friends in Mt. Vernon OH... He loves cookies - and I usually make him cookies for the road -- which he always remembers - LOL--- He can play any type of music... even plays the wood on the side of the instrument!
Playing the Hammered Dulcimer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFfNgSzfZAY&feature=related
Here he is playing fiddle - looks like at a workshop... zip up to about half way and he gets going...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFfNgSzfZAY&feature=related
And playing with Helicon... Chris Norman, the flute player has a number of great CD's out - he's from Nova Scotia, and is a Grammy Award winner. He plays mostly traditional Nova Scotian music now - but when he was with Helicon, they played "World Music"...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuPGHmbmZQ8&feature=channel

When most people hear "dulcimer" this is the instrument they think of
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INu3UQ35yVk
the Mountain dulcimer is pretty easy to learn, though Steven Seifert is one of the best...
but way different than the Hammered Dulcimer...

I was really into music before I got into daylilies and my Mom moved in 14 years ago. My Mom does NOT like music. Every time I went to play the dulcimer she complained. Even if I tried playing at night, after work, with padded hammers, very quiet, she complained. So - now my dulcimer's in it's case in the closet :-( Can't do much anyway, now that my shoulder is hurt. Dulcimer is doing fine - it will be there for me, someday.

Here is what the top of one looks like... it's pairs of strings, that you hit in certain places with small wooden mallets. Unlike a guitar, which you could strum the 6 strings all at once to form a chord, you would have to hit each of the six strings, in succession, moving up and across the instrument to form a chord on a dulcimer. You pretty much HAVE to look while you play. No reading music and not looking like you do on a piano... You really have to look at the strings the entire time.
This video, by someone I never heard of, is on a dulcimer by the same maker as mine, although it's not as fancy as mine. It will give you a better idea, though, how you actually play, as he is not as fast as the other people I posted!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur9QDcsU8T8&feature=channel

OK, enough music stuff. I need to get back to the website stuff for Curt or I will never get it done!

J

This message was edited Feb 28, 2009 9:43 PM

Thumbnail by daylily_ohio

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 1, 2009
2:35 AM

Post #6204508

Here's a warmer one.
Check the veins...

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 1, 2009
2:39 AM

Post #6204513

And here's the Kitchen/Hall porcelain tile.
No Trav in there...too slippery when wet!

Thumbnail by henryr10

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 1, 2009
2:43 AM

Post #6204524

Jules thanks for the links!

We saw John McCutcheon at a Celticfest down here.
Mountain and Hammered at that event.
Also saw him at a Zoo Concert doing Folk Music.
WNKU plays his music all the time.

Ric
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 1, 2009
2:48 AM

Post #6204542

Ric - John is a super nice guy. He meets so many people, and I have been out of it for a while now - I don't think he would remember me without seeing me. I am on his mailing list, and try to go to any concerts he gives around here. His sister lives north of Columbus, in Delaware, so they often try to book him around here when he visits her. One cool thing about seeing him is it is usually in a church - with only 100 or so people. No big crowds.

OH-- and I finally remembered to ask my Mom for her waffle recipe for you... but she was to tired to "fight" with her recipe file tonight. Will try again tomorrow. Her file is a big heavy metal thing --- she needs to toss the 500 things in it she always meant to try and just keep the "tried and true" recipes she really wants - then get a smaller file she can handle. But will she listen to me? Nooooooo LOL she would rather lug this huge thing out of the cupboard and spend 1/2 hour looking and looking for what she wants...

This message was edited Feb 28, 2009 9:53 PM
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 1, 2009
2:57 AM

Post #6204579

Tell Mom thanks!
Robyn made about 1 million waffles yesterday...lol!
GREAT w/ the REAL Maple Surple!
Needs new recipes!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 1, 2009
3:22 AM

Post #6204715

Evening friends, it has been a busy day here, DS and his SO "forgot" they had other W2's so I spent the day amending their federal and state returns, paying bills, balancing check books, and watching UK get stomped by LSU. DS went to his sister's for the surprise birthday party, and since I wasn't feeling real good, I stayed home and continued to work on the paper mess. I think I am coming down with a stomach virus, graciously shared by the DS's SO.

I still have church bulletins to do, and a letter to write, so need to just give a big ~~~ and say good night.

Ric, great looking tile.
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 1, 2009
4:24 AM

Post #6204932

I just got some sad news.
Weezingreens' husband Dennis passed away of a heart attack last Sunday night at age 59.
Those of you who know her have heard her speak many times of 'the ol' tomcat'

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/957658/

Ric
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 1, 2009
4:33 AM

Post #6204965

John McCutcheon will be playing at St. Luke's United Meth. Church/Indianapolis on 4/25
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2009
6:23 AM

Post #6205206

Wellll all of yallins is done went to baid, so I am gonna say G'nite, take my book and go find mine...I doubt I will read 2 pages...Ran out of toothpicks, so no help there...;-)

I guess I will start on the finish of the hallway woodwork tomorrow.. Looking forward to getting the last of the inside done...I can't wait till I can afford the new ceiling lights...The rims are either pewter or brushed silver...very muted with nice globes that are standard that I can replace later on, in several different styles from opaque to frosted with or without designs...and not expensive at all...
The problem I am dealing with is...recessed fixtures in about a 12 inch square cut out hole in the ceiling...They do not provide much in the way of lighting...so whatever I do, I have to cover or fill in that square somehow...I have 4 in the hallways, and 1 each in the 3 bedrooms...I am only concerned with the hallways at this point...The bedrooms will get medallions to cover the holes, and different type fixtures later on...It is really fun to plot and plan, and drag Cookie along on my adventures...
She told me today that I was born about 50 yrs tooo late because of the style of lighting that I loved (and she did too) I told her I was born about 100 yrs too late but they didn't have electricity very much then... RoFLLLLLLL

My Youngest called me tonight to tell me he loved me and was thinking about me...no other reason...He was cooking my recipe for Chicken Parmesan...**Have a great night Mom and I love you!!**
My heart soared...He is such a good kiddo...Soon be 29 yrs old...
6' 4" tall and now at 192 pounds...He was 3 pounds and 12 ounces when he was born...LOL...I named him Aaron..which means *Gods light high mountain*...He was named well for his birth, and he continues to go up into the mountain...and he is the light of my life...
He has asked to go the Caves with me...I took him when he was barely 5 months old in 1980...It was winter already in the mountains...I was alone, needed peace to my soul...I put him on a skin wrapped papoose board and took what I needed and went home to the Rez and hiked in to the Caves from there with Ramsey on guard...He knew where I was going...but he sent watchers to go beside me...I heard them, and knew they were there, but never saw a one of them...
I am well tonight...My Son was taught the ways of the Aniyunwiya and has now discovered they are the ways of his soul...He is now in Georgia and has been since just before the New Year...and has been alone with members of my Clan...I am blessed!!!! One of mine and his son will carry on the Tsalagi tradition...

Sleep well and be at Peace this night...I have sent much Smoke tonight for those who need it, as well as those who don't think they do...

Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2009
7:46 AM

Post #6205295

I just popped in for a minute to check to see how Chele was doing, and if anything new had appeared in her life, and find a beautiful blessing from Dusty.

Always uplifting to visit here.

Luck to you, Chele...Hi and hugs to all...
Spring's on its way...
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 1, 2009
12:31 PM

Post #6205518

(((Sharon)))...good to "see" ya!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 1, 2009
1:58 PM

Post #6205766

Ric i m sorry to hear of Weezingreens DH, she is a neat lady. Wow and so young at only 59 ! T&P for her and family.
Ric them are some pretty peices of floor
got to run T is on the skype and its ringing
bbl
sue
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 1, 2009
2:28 PM

Post #6205871

Veronica, I looked at my Vincas and noticed the cotyledons are starting to yellow, but the true leaves look healthy and dark green. I asked Ella (starlight1153) about it, and it sounds like that is normal for them. Does that sound like what yours are doing?

Dusty, glad you're enjoying the link. I've had the best time with it, trying this artist or that one, and discovering all these other artists with similar tags- its been a great way to discover music that is new to me. I especially love seeing the artist name right there when I hear something of interest.

Ric, I can't wait to see pics of the progression with the new floor. Its gorgeous! We really do need to clone you...only maybe we could leave off the smart a.. gene, LOL.

Janet, I love dulcimer music, both hammer and mountain...I have a love of string instruments in general. I typed John McCutcheon into lastfm and enjoyed some lovely stuff!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 1, 2009
2:38 PM

Post #6205899

Anyone heard from Sandy (crashbandiscoot) or Jazzy lately?

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 1, 2009
2:38 PM

Post #6205900

HA get this guys.
T just told me there is a new Walmart in china !!!! LOL i think that is a oxymoron ? right ? anyhow. it has 37 checkouts ! , three stories and had over 1000 people at the grand opening. yikes
T's friend who is american also, who married a chinese woman . He is 6' 7" and she is 5'7" yeah i know. LOL so any way
he just takes the cart and goes right on through like Moses parting the red sea . LOL so funny to hear the stories.
Well its time to go down to the basement and try and organize my shelves for seeds starting.
ttyl
sue

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 1, 2009
2:39 PM

Post #6205903

Ric i was thinking the same thing yesterday but forgot to mention it ?
I miss Melissa also :(
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 1, 2009
3:07 PM

Post #6206028

As we talk seeds and sprouts we need to be thinking RU also.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/957900/

Ric

daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 1, 2009
3:12 PM

Post #6206045

Ric
It just amazes me all the stuff you know how to do.

ooops, had to edit, hit return by accident

I don't know how to do anything repair/replace wise in my home. We just had an outdoor security light replaced because it went bad, and the hood over my stove taken down and replaced with a simple light, and the electrician's bill was almost $300.

When you don't know anything about repair, it's expensive to get things done. Expensive (and dangerous) to try to learn also - so I just pay the price and don't get much done, unless we really need it.

Jules

This message was edited Mar 1, 2009 10:16 AM
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2009
3:46 PM

Post #6206164

Good Morning all...22* and very windy here...25mph and up gusts...but the sun is shining...soooo It looks like March is roaring in like the Lion in this wind...

(((((((((Shar))))))))) so good to see you here my dear friend...You are sorely missed here...

Juli... my Great Aunt played the dulcimer and she also had a zither that she played...She had a harpsicord in her parlor from the 1700's that she produced some hauntingly beautiful baroque music on...I often wonder what happened to it when she crossed over...She was the woman that painted the 2 paintings that I have...I don't think I have heard a dulcimer since I last heard her play, and that is more years ago than some of you have been alive...LOL

Bro ..I LOVE that tile...I have some very similar here in the kitchen and the main bath...Just don't drop any of your good wine glasses on it...or you will be picking up pieces for years...LOL

Neal, I clicked on the **Play Nakai Radio** button last night and let er rip...Unbelievable music...I almost took my laptop to bed with me...LOL

WOW!!! I just ran out to save one of my bird feeders from demolition and refilled everything...It is brutal out there with that wind...About the only thing able to hang on so far are the Titmice and Woodies...The feeders are blowing so hard they can't stay on them...

Breaktime is over...back to the paint cans...You all have a wonderful day!!!

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 1, 2009
4:25 PM

Post #6206306

That's wild Dusty we're getting gentle breezes here.

I just installed a wireless card in Robyn's puter... fingers crossed... lol!

Jules DIY is just schooling ... start w/ simple skills... add on techniques.
If you can master an instrument and learn all those DL names... it should be a snap.
Call me if I can help.

Ric
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 1, 2009
4:30 PM

Post #6206320

Jules, I get you and Janet mixed up all the time! Sorry 'bout that, LOL

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 1, 2009
4:31 PM

Post #6206323

Don't worry Jules your not the only one who cant use a hammer (see pic below ) . LOL my carpenter skills lack to say the least . LOL
i have to read instructions for a band aid :)

Thumbnail by taynors

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 1, 2009
4:38 PM

Post #6206348

Obviously you can use a Hammer Sue...
Now as for hitting the same spot twice in a row...

Ric

This message was edited Mar 1, 2009 3:50 PM
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2009
7:25 PM

Post #6207098

ROFLLLLLL... Bro you are just pure evil...I think we all outta chip in and buy her a nail gun...LOL

I just finished the second coat on the woodwork in the front hallway...I decided to paint the baseboards the white to match the door casings...I think it is really gonna brighten it up in there...Looking good so far...I will be ready for the walls here shortly, as soon as I take a break and can't wait to see it...It is going to make extra brush work for me now having to trim around the baseboards, but I think it is going to be well worth it...

Bro we are running at 20 mph sustained with 30 mph gusts right now...the temp was 32* but its dropped already to 30.6* and a wind chill of 18*...The sun is out bright, but it is absolutely bitter out there...I have a plastic bin on the back patio that I used to hold the fish when I moved the Freshie tank, and the wind is blowing it all over the place...If you think I am going out to rescue it yer nutz...however I MAY have to go rescue my big trash can...The wind just this second blew it over... Maybe I will have Jim empty the kitchen trash bin...LOL
Ohhhh yeahhhhh I am soooooo evil...

Here is a *Before* shot for your perusal...Looking into my messy pantry...Thats the kitchen to the left, and Jims Cave to the right...

Back to the paint, before I change my mind and quit for the day...LOL

Thumbnail by DustyDS

Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 1, 2009
8:04 PM

Post #6207234

Yeah gemini
I think I am just watching them too closely. It could be a little cool in the garage but they will live in there until it warms up some. Then maybe they will grow. I am down to 4 good ones of the one that is supposed to be spreading and 12 of the dark red ones. I ordered the seed from Park's. There may be too more of the spreading deep rose if they survive. Look kind of sorry to me but I am going to make them die completely before I get rid of them .. Lying over and brown...

Today is gorgeous in S Indiana. Sure is cold though but I bet if we looked back there would be more March 1 days like this than warm..
I am way too anxious for spring.

After we got home from church we made us each a big salad for lunch. I always think of the Seinfeld episode when I say big salad.
Boy I miss that show; The show about nothing...Anyway it took me about 45 minutes to eat it. I have to eat salad real slow I guess. We watched 'The Biggest Loser' while eating. lol Now I have to go down and fix beef and noodles as my DH just yelled up the stairs "Veronica I thought you were going to fix that beef and noodles and let them sit a while" so be back later.
VB
Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 1, 2009
8:06 PM

Post #6207239

Here is a picture of my beagle "Buddy" One of the family but not included in the 18 family members. He makes 19

Thumbnail by Indygardengal

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2009
8:28 PM

Post #6207304

Here is the corner, cut in and rolled with the skinny roller...Onward to the Big roller... LOL

Edited to say I have not painted the inside of the door jamb to *The Cave* yet because I am waiting for wood putty to dry, then it has to be sanded...

This message was edited Mar 1, 2009 3:34 PM

Thumbnail by DustyDS

daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 1, 2009
8:48 PM

Post #6207395

Indy, that is TOO cute!

Dusty - you are really getting a lot done! You would hate my house. I am an off white person... well close. I have wallpaper that is off white with little speckles in most rooms and hallway, then coordinating paper that is cream and pale gold courderoy (sp?) texture on some of the walls. Wallpaper everywhere but bedrooms. It's industrial vinyl so will last as long as I want to live here... wipes clean with windex. I love it. The bedrooms are all pale too - but shades of light coco brown. One is sort of a pale golden butterscotch. I have been considering having someone paint my bedroom a sage color to make it darker. I like to paint, but can't do it any more. My carpet needs to be replaced, but I would want something very similar when we do replace it. It is a semi-berber type, and in shades of cream, light gray, butterscotch, light coco... it's been great. Dirt and mud don't show a bit on it. But, after 25 years - and many dogs and cats - it is showing wear in the traffic patterns. It is still really nice in bedrooms though. When I had house built, it was MUCH less expensive to have the same carpet in the entire house... so that's what I did.

Ric --- here is the waffle recipe my Mom has used for over 60 years. Came from her Aunt Laura, who was originally from Georgia. I am throwing in the companion pancake recipe too, since it was from the same woman. Aunt Laura was a character. She died when I was about 12-13. I really liked her, and she me... but boy if she didn't like you --- look out! She made some wonderful things - and some things I found odd... like her potato salad, that she made with mashed potatoes. Her fudge was SO good!!! She would just start cooking sugar and canned milk and come out with the most wonderful vanilla fudge! No recipe - just stir it together...

Mom says just stir the ingredients together in a bowl - but don't want to mix them really well - some lumps can remain. And, make sure the waffle iron is "good and warmed up" before using. And, expect that the first one won't be as good as the rest of the batch. She does not grease or spray the waffle iron before use with any oil or cooking spray.

Waffles makes 5-6 waffles
1-1/2 cups flour (all purpose)
2/3 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 large eggs
2 cups buttermilk
2 tablespoons melted butter (cooled)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Pancakes makes 5-6 pancakes
1 large egg
1 cup buttermilk
1-1/4 cups flour (all purpose)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
may need to add a little more buttermilk to make right consistency.

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 1, 2009
8:53 PM

Post #6207420

THANKS Jules and thank Mom for me!

Anyone else watch "Good Eats"?

He did a killer pancake show!
Well they ALL are great but...

Ric

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 1, 2009
9:04 PM

Post #6207475

I love Alton !!!! he rocks. Crazy guy too.
no i didn't see the pancake show. Im dieting so i don't watch alot of his shows cuz it makes me to hungry :( and i can't watch Paula either cuz she really makes me hungry :( but i do love them
Jules that sound so good.
I am terrible at waffles ? i don't get it , i don't know what i do wrong but they come out hard and hollow ? maybe over cook or over mixing ?
but i did see in a William Sonama catolog a waffle pancake pan ! i think i might try it . they look good.
no much here
got house cleaned ! yeah and thanks to my Inlaws to help me out yeah they are great. i am reall lucky
so its sunny and cold out.
gonna order some wildflower seed to spread around my garden on the outside of the walkways.
ttyl
sue
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 1, 2009
9:13 PM

Post #6207516

Over beat them probably.
Just barely mix the ingredients wet to dry.
Lumps are OK...

Ric

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 1, 2009
9:39 PM

Post #6207613

good to know
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2009
10:59 PM

Post #6207968

And use a whisk, not a mixer... ;-))

Sues...why order and pay shipping on Wildflower seeds when you can get tons of them at the HD there on Bechtel for dirt cheapo?? They even have those large boxes of mixes for hummingbirds and butterflies, and sun and shade etc...
I bought a bunch of seeds yesterday, but it was almost all veggies this time...Can you believe they had no Kale seed??? Cookie and I both looked more than twice...They had collards and turnips...but no Kale and now that I thought on it, they didn't have any mustard greens either...yet they did have Mesclun...including the spicy mix...and of course I got both... LOL

Here is what I got yesterday:
Sweet Peas...4 varieties
MG...Red, Scarlet Ohara and white, Pearly Gates and blue, Heavenly Blue
Crystal Palace Lobelia, very blue
Cerinthe Purple Bells
Agrostemma, Ocean Pearl, very white
Columbine, William Guinness, White with deep purple centers
Larkspur, Giant Imperial mix, which is blue, white, and a almost red

And, I added an incredible blue Wild Flax called Saphyr, and a pack of Pampas grass, just to see if it will go...That will be put over to the west side of the pond
That should just about round out my Veterans garden with what I already have...
And then of course I got some veggies...lettuce, more okra, radish for Jim, and my Poppas Detroit Dark red beets...in addition to what I already have...Still need taters and maters, cabbage and cauliflower... May try onions as much as I use them...

Mercy...I DO wish this wind would let up...It has been horrible all day...
Ohhhh, by the way, the kitchen garbage is out and the can is back upright...amazing how that happens when I'm on a ladder...LOL

Later y'all...I feel a fast nap coming on while supper is in the oven...my arm feels like it fell off my shoulder...Time to quit...

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 1, 2009
11:10 PM

Post #6208011

YOu know i forgot about there mix at HD duh. Thanks Dusty for remeinding me.
They site i did go to does have a poppy mix that is to die for !!! for our zone too. Very tempting.
I very rarely see kale in the stores for seeds. ? go figure .
i may order some if i don't find any either. i love kale. i also want to dry it , i have heard that kale chips are a good sub for pot chips hmmm maybe ?
lilyhostaky
Flemingsburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 1, 2009
11:21 PM

Post #6208086

Hey everyone~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dusty I think I saw some mustard seed
at the Dollar General 3 packs for a dollar.

Welcome Veronica,,,I am a lurker mostly

I have been to the RU for the last 3 years
Looking forward to it this year

Pauletta
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 1, 2009
11:33 PM

Post #6208147

kale chips???????

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 1, 2009
11:41 PM

Post #6208178

yep kale chips , LOL i have a dehydrator and i m going to try and make dried chips out of the kale.
yeah i know "weird" but just thought i would try it.
i love tomato chips , i did some of them last year and they were good. I only did three trays and they were gone in a day. LOL
also can do zuccini chips ect...
very healthy
iwth a little garlic salt yumo
Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2009
12:31 AM

Post #6208379

Dusty another place you can get mustard is if you have a hometown hardware store that sells bulk seed. We buy ours at an Ace Hdwe in Scottsburg, In. They seem to be a garden center also as they have all kinds of rocks, mulch,spring plants both vegetables and flowers. There might be something like this in your area. We.ve never grown kale. Also we plant our mustard in the fall when we do turnips. I should say my DH does. We use a variety of mustard call Florida Broadleaf and it is just what is says. A broadleaf and not curly around the edges, that way there are no places for bugs to hide. The fall sowing also eliminates a lot of bugs and it lasts well into cold weather.

henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 2, 2009
1:44 AM

Post #6208680

Yep definitely a whisk!
In the wet ingredients have them at room temp.
We use buttermilk and there's a special technique for mixing them in or the buttermilk will curdle.
Granma taught me this but now I know the science.
Seperate your eggs.
Do the egg whites and the buttermilk in one bowl.
And the egg yolks with the melted butter.
Then mix the two bowls together.

You eat the Kale Chips after smoking the Pot Chips?

28 (Wind Chill 15) w/ N 18 MPH winds...
But they are high winds we're still not getting a lot of surface stuff.

I got my wireless set up w/ this machine.
I'm still having issues w/ Robyn's.
Showing 5 Bars... and the signal says weak...
I have a new Higher Speed Router coming midweek so I'll wait to try again.

Got a weird deal w/ Cincinnati Bell yesterday.
I called to ramp up my internet speed (hince the newer router).
I was going to cost 10 bucks a month more.
Set that up...
then she asks are you interested in Directv...
I say I already have it...
She says well I can save you 6 dollars a month since you are a Zoomtown customer.
So I get that discount...
then another deal popped up and I got the high speed for 5 bucks a month...
Since I bundled Directv...
then another deal popped up... 6 bucks off my Phone bill...
So I went from paying 10 more a month to saving 7 and still getting the high speed.
Then I asked about upgrading Robyn's cell phone... since we had bundled all that other stuff...
We got a 279 dollar phone for 39 bucks activated... I may just get one myself!

Weird Huh!

Ric

Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2009
1:46 AM

Post #6208684

Hey I just clicked on the Hummingbird map and the Hummers have arrived in the states. Spring is really on the way.

Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2009
1:48 AM

Post #6208688

There was really no hummingbird in that pic. Just wanted to do something springy. I have never gotten close enough with a camera to take a hummer pic. I keep waiting for them to pose I guess...
Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2009
1:52 AM

Post #6208706

Way to go on all your stuff. I live in the country; have to buy satellite, phone, cell, and electricity all separately . Very expensive. We used to mark our own electric card and this winter our company switched to computer marking. Seems my bill has gotten much higher. Also I can hardly use my cell here at home. Have to go outside in summer upstairs by a window in winter. Country ain't for sissies
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2009
1:56 AM

Post #6208722

Ahhhh yes, but Nanny...look at that photo you just posted. Bet it's not that pretty in the urbans.
We had about 3 spoonsful of snow this morning. Even with the ice storm some weeks ago we didn't get much snow. Haven't seen any in a long time. Just talked with a friend in east Virginia and they are getting a real snowstorm for the first time in a long time.
I am so dying for spring. Did you all get snow in Ohio and Indy?
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 2, 2009
2:05 AM

Post #6208756

No snow at all.
Just sunny and cold.

Ric
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 2, 2009
2:39 AM

Post #6208927

Evening friends, it has been a very laid back day today. I had a touch of a stomach virus, and was up and down all night, but felt better this morning. Went to church, and when we got home, I had baked a chicken yesterday, and I made home made chicken noodle soup. I was afraid to eat much, but it sure was good. DH is taking another cold, plus the stomach virus, so we haven't been too lively at all.

I haven't even done any winter sowing yet, I plan to do some this week. I need to start thinking about tomatoes too. Dusty, I agree with Veronica, we have much better luck with the mustard and kale, turnips, and broccoli, in the fall. In the spring there is such a short time before they start to bolt and become bitter.

I am anxious to see if my sowing of the poppy seeds was successful. Sure do love them, but haven't been able to get them established.

We had some snow mixed in with sleet and freezing rain last night. It has been chilly today, with winds that are gusty. They are still blowing.

Jules, thanks for the waffle recipe, we don't have them often, but maybe before winter is gone we will.

Janet, sure hope that you are able to get a greenhouse up so that you can start some plants. Have you sold plants at the farmer's market before?

Well, I need to check my e-mail and a couple of other threads, then I am off to bed.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 2, 2009
4:18 AM

Post #6209337

Way to go Bro!!!! Jump on that phone deal !!!

Sunny and cold as a well diggers backside, and back at 20* Shar, and still windy as all get out...we are still getting 20-25 mph winds and hefty gusting...It is blowing so bad that it is keeping the motion light on the garage going...

Good to see you again Pauletta!!!! Hopefully, I will get to meet you at this years RU since I missed last year...

It's not the mustard I am after...It's the Kale...I am happy as a pig in a new slop pit with the collards, but I needs mah Kale...I harvest the greens from the beets too...

Ummmm Sues...You ain't gonna get no Kale chips...You dry it, it will pulverize and look like dried basil...You can't dry greens and expect chips...Ain't gonna happen...I dry Basil, Dill and other green herbs in the oven on a paper towel on a cookie sheet at 200*...

Juli...I would not hate your house...I like some wallpapers...
You have to do things to accomodate your RSD...However... If you need/want painting done, you let me know, and as soon as I have wheels of my own again, I will come and do it for you...and that is a promise...Call me first before you pay out that kind of money again... Jim and I can do most anything...Kinda like Bro & Robyn...except I don't do tile anymore without protest...LOL

Glad to see you show up Bons...I was wondering where you were today...Sorry to hear you and DH are under the weather, but not suprising for him...He has been running himself ragged these last few weeks...I hope you both are much better yesterday than tomorrow...Big Huggggs...

Neal...Crash posts occasionally over on the Girl Talk thread in the Parking Lot...Jeremys Bro is in very bad shape and they are dealing with that, and she has been having serious issues with her back and still trying to work...much less fighting for puter time from her daughter...
I don't know what has happened with Jazzy...She has popped in occasionally to say Hi, but that has been it...She hasn't posted here in the Coffee House in a very long time...That's really sad, as she is very much missed...

Time for me to find the rack...Lotsa paint to hit the walls tomorrow...

Love and hugggs to all...

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 2, 2009
12:03 PM

Post #6210006

Well, I survived watching Kavin!!! Turns out there was plenty of play things...candy dish, coasters, cell phone, remote control...plus the few things that Nana does keep stashed in the basement. Plus he brought his own toys too, but didn't have much use for them.

Christian (DDIL) told me he would probably take a nap if I would lay down with him. So after lunch, I said let's go lay down. I told him to shut his eyes about three times. Within 10 minutes he was asleep and within 11 minutes I was asleep. Two hours later, he woke up and I woke up. :O) I like that kind of babysitting!

Seriously, he was a joy to have, though he did haul off and smack Abbie (one of the cats) in the face with the cell phone. Not sure where that came from.

He is 22 months old and we measured him on the Grandkids Measure and he is exactly 3 feet tall. He is a monster. He said the older girls where he goes for his babysitter call him "Tank". I just call him KJ. It's pretty funny. I have always called him KJ, but no one else does (well, Bill does sometimes) and yesterday, every time I said KJ, he said KJ right back to me. It was pretty cute. Oh Nana's are silly...
enough...

Mom's doing pretty good. She's still awfully weak and has no appetite. She doesn't want to move because she's so weak, and I told her if she doesn't move around she isn't going to gain her strength back. Anyway, they told Dad to bring her clothes, cause she's going to be having some therapy. They'll get her stronger whether she wants to move or not!

We have a few errands to run today. I have to make the appointment to get our taxes done. Bill has been going by himself for the last couple of years, but I will go too, this time. We love our tax lady. She's a beautiful black woman in Xenia that knows all the tricks. :O)

Ric, did you see they are changing the venue for the Cinci Flower Show this year? Good for me, bad for you...

I don't seem to get to post much, but I always read and pray for those of you who need it!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2009
1:02 PM

Post #6210157

Ric nice deal
Bonnie sorry to hear you had the yuckys, austin had it to on saturday
just a quick check in
cold here with a dusting of snow
ttyl
sue
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 2, 2009
1:08 PM

Post #6210178

Sue, I forgot to answer you earlier about Wintersowing. The term refers to an actual method of seed starting, rather than just starting seeds in winter, and there's a forum devoted to it:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/coldsow/all/

In a nutshell, its using vented, see through containers to sow your seeds in, then you just set them outside and let nature take care of the rest. They freeze and thaw, and germinate at the proper time- typically they germinate sooner in the protected containers than they would direct sown, and they have the protection of the "mini greenhouse" covering. I use milk jugs, with drainage holes cut in them, and the top cut to form a hinged lid (the milk jug lid is kept off- they need ventilation). Take a look at the first Sticky post and some of the first time wintersowers threads and all your questions will be answered.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2009
1:13 PM

Post #6210196

aaaahhhh thank you Neal. i will go check it out
i was thinking of doing a mini GH with pvc and some plastic i have for the big GH
thank you so much i learn so much for you all
hey FYI did you guys here that Paul Harvey died at the age of 90 wow. He will be missed.
I remember him on KGO radio in San Fran growing up. i always listened to him.
Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2009
2:24 PM

Post #6210484

Good morning all
Joyce, your Kavin sounds like my Carson. She is 2/12 and a big girl. About the size of a 4 year old but oh so cute. I had her Friday afternoon and it was fun. Maybe I shared about her on this posst and maybe it was on another. I am getting confused with watching and talking on these posts. One of my friends has a GD who is a year older and she has always referred to the girls as Big Girl. Carson goes to the library on Mon nights for story time and my son said she had a little friend last week who was her age but of course much smaller. She leaned over and kissed her. Cracked him up. She probably thought the other little girl was a baby. My son is almost 42 and this is his only child. I had a GS way before I was his age. He dotes on that girl.

I went to sleep last night watching a Tom Selleck made for tv movie last night. First of all I was way to comfortable in my heated lap blanket and second I could not understand much of the speech. Then when I went to bed I was able to finish my book. A good read if you just need a good story that turns out pretty good. It is 'Blessings' by Anna Quindlen if anyone is interested.

You all have a good day and I will be checking on you tonight.

Here is my girl or as I say princess number 6

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 2, 2009
2:32 PM

Post #6210527

She's adorable Veronica...we'll have to hook her up with KJ!! :o)
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2009
3:34 PM

Post #6210856

Indy - first I thought the Tom Selleck movie was Blessings, and I couldn't figure out what part he would play. Then, I re-read, and understood, you were reading Blessings. I enjoyed that book. Listened to it -- I generally listen to all my books now - it hurts my shoulders and arms to much to hold a book. And, I like listening to them on my commute. I usually keep a couple on my phone to listen to when I am not to busy at work. Some of my work takes thinking and problem solving - I don't listen then. Other parts of my work, like color touch up on photos - is sort of mindless, and I can listen to books then. If you liked Blessings, have you read Barbara Kingsolver's "Prodigal Summer"... some promiscuity in there by an older woman, but a book about a lot of lives in a county in the hill country. I really liked it, lots of nature information. Have read it several times.

Gosh, Ric - Mom doesn't go through all that with her batter for waffles/pancakes. She just stirs it all together with a wooden spoon. Guess she has lucked out! LOL You got a good deal on the package with your internet and stuff.

I can barely use my cell phone at home. I love the iPhone - once I get a couple miles from home. Just barely have coverage here. Have to be on my front porch, out in my front field, or standing by my one bedroom window, face west, and lean over to the window. I can access the internet fine on it at home, but not make or receive calls on it. Go figure. I have my house phone through TimeWarner - was a lot less expensive that way. Unlimited long distance so my Mom doesn't have to worry how long she talks to her sister - she can just pick up the phone and talk to anyone she wants, anytime.

Dusty -- your a sweetie to offer to come up here and do chores for me! For me, it was just the price of getting divorced, I guess. I should NEVER have got mad and asked for a divorce. Biggest mistake I ever made. What was I thinking? Had I known what a lonely life, and what a struggle it would be - and what a mistake it was -- I surely would have tried harder to stay together. We are such good friends now, we could have worked it out, or we would not get along so good. He's my closest friend :-(

Sure is pretty out, but darn COLD. Worried about the little stray cat that's been coming around last night. It is so so thin... eats like it's starved to death. I certainly don't need another cat. But, I just don't have it in me to let it go hungry. Yesterday, I was able to run my hand down it's back and it's backbone it really sticking out. It's stomach is bulging, so it must be wormy. This morning, I am going to try to get a tape wormer pill down it... will slip it into some Pill Pocket treats. The way it eats - it should work, if I can keep my own cats from grabbing them. It has kept it's tail down, so have not been able to look for "nubbins" to tell if it's a Tom or a female. Looks like it's about 9 months old. We put the winter outdoor bed out for it last night, since it was going to be so cold. That is a big clear plastic bin with a hole cut in it, bedding inside. Tucks under our front porch. It was not out here first thing, so not sure if it used it or not.

Well, best get a move on, I suppose. Everyone have a good day...
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 2, 2009
3:45 PM

Post #6210908

Dusty, I've been meaning to tell you about some seeds I have germinating. They were labeled 'Ceremonial White Sage', that a friend shared with me. She purchased them from a company that specializes in herbs, mostly for medicinal, ceremonial, or spiritual purposes. I hope to be able to make some nice smudge sticks.
Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2009
4:14 PM

Post #6211038

I did read 'Prodigal Summer' a few years ago. Great read. Thanks for suggesting it I will get it and reread. A good book is certainly worth reading over.

Joyce, Carson is a typical female. BOSSY...

Folks I could not stay away. Told you I'd be back tonight and her it is not even lunch time.
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 2, 2009
4:43 PM

Post #6211201

Dusty, here's a site I found about the White Sage (Salvia alpinia). I found the part about the seeds tolerating (or even benefiting from) burning, and those that popped out of the smudge stick while burning sprouted. So fitting that its ceremonial use promotes propagation.

http://www.horizonherbs.com/product.asp?specific=703
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2009

Post #6211296

Indy - how about Gap Creek by Robert Morgan? another good book about a woman's struggles in the country life.
Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2009
5:34 PM

Post #6211421

yes I have it. I may have read it a couple of times. Looks like we like the same kind of literature.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2009
6:45 PM

Post #6211712

I made pies today :( they were a miserable failure ! :( so bummed. I used apple pie filling i did 3 years ago and experimented with a new crust , blach :P the crust is good but hard to work with and its more like a short bread dough.
Im just glad i didn't waste my black raspberries . Gold them things are . LOL
so its off to the drawing board
i did make a cupcake dumbpling with the dough. i laid the crust in the cupcake pan , filled with apple pie then struesle topping so far so good on them .
ttyl
sue
Antoinine
Cleveland Heights, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2009
10:00 PM

Post #6212610

Heyyyyyyyyyy!

Been busyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Lurkinggggggggggg!

Love Y'allllllllllllllllllllll!

Laterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

PS If anyone needs mustard seed, (yellow tendergreen or curled) dmail me I have plenty to share.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 2, 2009
10:33 PM

Post #6212797

Buy that girl books, and send her to school and shes still blonde...

How many times we gotta tell ya...Lard and flour, everything cold...
Sheeeesh!!!! LOL
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 3, 2009
1:54 AM

Post #6213864

Hello everybody, I have been busy today. I caught the painting virus that Dusty has, and spent the day painting my family room DH helped, and we got all the walls done. Need to paint the ceiling in the kitchen/dining area, and then tackle the laundry room, just cleaning in there, Then my friends my housecleaning is done, and when the weather gets warm, I will be the first one out the door, to play in the dirt!!

Extra tired tonight, so gonna check my email and head to bed. Old bones don't tolerate ladders too well.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2009
1:57 AM

Post #6213881

it was a new dough i was experimenting with LOL :P cant fool you can i LOL
yeah i think i will stick to the old stand by.
i was costing out the price of making dough. I can get premade dough for a few cents more too. duh. Not as good as a homemade but for now i will do the old stand by prebaked premade crust LOL
went ot my class and it is getting a bit easier . legs are not as soar.
talked with T and he may come home . He got a job but not until april . Same guy he worked with before and same job just doing the other 9 holes. Whew . So he may come home for a month. Hmmm jury is still out on that one if i like that idea . LOL
good night folks
sue
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2009
2:10 AM

Post #6213955

Hey Toni... I'm kewel on Mustard...just no Kale yet...

I R do be dun with the front Hallway!!!!! Pans and brushes are in the sink with the roller, soaking in cool water till I get enough energy to go clean them...I am whupped...but very pleased...It looks really nice in that hallway...

I gotta borrow Bros ole truck...I'm going to TSC and get me onna them water troughs with a bottom drain and put it in the basement and hook a hose to the laundry sink and fill er up and go soak...If it wasn't nearly froze over again, I think I'd go jump in the pond about now...

I dunno if I can slither this in here without getting a nastygram from admin, but Jim has had some interesting news regarding something he wrote...It went from somewhere around 2 mil rank on Amazon to 129K in 2 days...and then, my adopted son Anthony in FL has a friend in CA that wants to write a screenplay and submit it to some producer friends for a movie...She is really heavy into that genre` and If that happens, I will own this house...and the one next door so Cookie can live mortgage free, and we will also own a couple in FL to escape to when we want to, and a boat docked in the back yard...
I couldn't believe the Amazon ratings when Jim told me but I saw them myself...Somebody has been buying that piece of literature hot and heavy all of a sudden...Maybe the poor man will actually get a royalty check worth cashing...

I made cornbread and the beans heated...Killed off the leftovers and I was not about to cook tonight...
My wrist is killing me today and it has taken all day to finish trimming and paint one hallway...Aggravates me to pieces...but it looks fantastic...I am really pleased I decided to use my concoction to do it...Looks great and saved a bunch on buying new paint...

I am off to the rain locker and go crawl in my rack...Gotta few sore spots I need to rest up for tomorrow...

Love and huggggs to all...

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2009
2:15 AM

Post #6213983

Dusty that is great ! give Jim a hug from me ok.
I gave T's friend one of my copies and he really loved the book. ! I told T " i better get my book back ! " LOL
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2009
2:29 AM

Post #6214041

Hey, y'all -- just caught up on all your posts since we left for our weekend away. Yes, it was our 17th anniversary Saturday and we had a nice time just hanging out together window shopping, people watching, and enjoying some meals out. :) We're going to watch Heroes and I'm crashing after that! G'night.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2009

Post #6215737

Good Morning all...10* but no wind thankfully...They are talking 50's again by the weekend, so maybe this is the last of it for awhile...

Happy belated Kimberley... Sounds like you two lovebirds had a good time...

I have the banking to do today...My second check still has not shown up in the bank...So this is going to be a tight month until at least my regular one comes on the 18th...But I will make it...I stocked up pretty good when I finally got the last one...

I have all of my seed packs in a large pot, and I was looking through them last night, and sorting them according to when they need to be planted...I am getting antsy now to get outside and start the cleanup...
The painting will be finished this week, so if we do get to 50's then maybe I can start this weekend getting the pruning done and the debris cleaned up...

You all have a great day...

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 3, 2009
3:41 PM

Post #6215927

I thought I better check in before you guys thought it was baby time. It's not. :)

I've been busy working on websites, paying some bills, working on the house, catching up on laundry, etc.

Nothing exciting to report. I'm NOT thrilled with the return of the cold weather!

Hope you all have a great day!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2009
11:18 PM

Post #6217730

got basement done well almost done
the burn pile is gone and under the back porch
grocery
Ds has been a really snit today . I took away his nintendo game and he can't play it anymore, to violent. IMHO
so he is to only have Disney ones and Nascar racing games. Or the Mario games.
Just makes him crazy . He got so addicted. !
not much here
sue
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2009
1:17 AM

Post #6218210

Well I had one of those posts go POOF...Ill work on it tomorrow...

Suffice it to say...Errands got done, bill got paid...hit the grocery for salad mixins...I made my Italian meatball soup and salad for supper, cleaned the kitchen and I am done for today/tonight...
The painting will resume tomorrow...

14 days from tomorrow Michele... I am guessing on 9...Have you named him yet??? I sure hope you picked the one I liked the best and don't forget to add the D on the end...;-))

Rain locker and rack time for me...

Rest well all...Smoke was sent...all were remembered...
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2009

Post #6218317

Another busy day, DH and I painted again this morning, and then DS and his SO came and helped us finish up. Still have some cleaning and straightening to do, but am taking the day off tomorrow, to do the grocery errand thing. Besides I need a break.

My arms feel as if they are gonna fall off. The family room ceiling is 18 feet, a cathedral type, and it was a tall ladder with a roller extension for this shortie.

So another early night for me, see ya all in the morning.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 4, 2009
12:59 PM

Post #6219637

Good morning !!!
81 in AZ LOL like you wanted to hear that ?
Toni glad to see you post , miss you babe. glad things are going well for you T&P . :)
Bonnie " you go girl " take it easy on them arms of yours.
IS you Dh getting ready to plant his wonderful garden ?
dd is sick , :( school and i might have issues . They said she has 5 sick days already and any future sick days will need dr notice. GRRRR not going to happen. Like what are they going to do ? LOLLLLL kick her out ?
take care everyone stay warm
sue
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2009
2:13 PM

Post #6219866

Thought I'd check in while it's calm here.

Hubby got up yesterday and started cleaning the living room. He flipped over all the furniture, pulled out the desk and entertainment system, swept the floor then announced he was going to rent a steam cleaner. He ran to Kroger in the later afternoon and was still steam cleaning carpet at dinner time.

Our neighbor called and had puppies being delivered and needed some formula to get through the night. So hubby ran out and got that for him, then came home and finished the floor. By the time he got everything done and put back together, it was after 9pm. We nuked his dinner and let him eat in peace. LOL I wonder when HIS baby is due??? The living room looks really good...

He just ran Maddie to preschool, then may have to go work at the shop for a bit or relieve the neighbor so he can go check on the new litter. Steam cleaner has to go back later today.

The first Wednesday of each month we have carry in at Bible study so I guess I'm going to make some stuffed peppers. Then I have some more laundry to do. I need to finish cleaning the walls in the back hall (kids and hubby started cleaning them which led to stripping them (don't know if you all remember I found out paint does not stick to the walls here unless they are stripped and covered with Killz or similar) and the hall was never redone after I redid them. ha!

The front kitchen wall has been cleaned, Killzed and ready for awhile. I guess I'll get that scrubbed down and repainted too so the curtain and pics can go back up. Not sure where I'll go from there!

One of our soccer coaches got a surprise baby boy in the fall and they are cleaning out all their nice, nearly new baby stuff before they get another surprise. hahahaha He sent me a big box full of baby boy clothes yesterday. Between all the gifts and now this, he will be one well dressed baby! I think the girls are jealous. :)

Hubby is back home so I guess I better get a move on! I forgot there is a path in our bedroom (from the door to the bathroom) that needs steam cleaned before the monster goes back...We have a home steam cleaner but it just doesn't do a good job on the really heavy spots.

Have a great day!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 4, 2009
2:28 PM

Post #6219925

Goodmorning from me, too! Wow, Sue, you were on here early this morning!

Things are better here. McKenzy and I rotate dogs from outside to respective bedrooms, to run of house, and back outside every couple of hours. The little Maltese is still "challenging" my dog by growling. Lucas told Al they'll probably be moving out in a week or two, so that will end the problem. Amazing what lengths we'll go to for our "babies"!

Dusty, looking good on your projects! Couldn't find it again, but you told me what you do with your computer to keep it running smooth. Don't know what you meant by emptying the "cache"? Al defrags about once a month. Seriously thinking about going with Altell internet since our current contract is now up. Same price as I'm paying now, but where roomates have 5 bars with Altell, we have 2 with ours. There's a computer service store here that I'm just going to take the computer to, to have them clean it up.

Ric, love your tiles!

Bonnie, you sure got a lot done lately!

Chele, sure sounded like nesting to me, too! And the timing was/is right for your due date.

Welcome aboard, Indynanny!

Going to make a whirlwind trip home next week to check on things...damage from ice storm, check on the water lines, do a little cleaning on the garden pond, check the landscaping plants, clean out fridge and freezer, get the dog neutered. Do you think it's too early in 6B to plant berry plants if I mulch them good? I was thinking of buying some here to take home to plant.

(((HUGS))) to everyone! Robin
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2009
2:40 PM

Post #6219972

Girl, considering yourself lucky, I only dream of Dave taking the initiative and renting a steam cleaner, let alone using it! LOL We've got one of those home jobs too, but it don't cut it around here. Ok for immediate clean up of spilled milk or dog pee. In one of the modular homes we lived in the walls had a coating that repelled paint, what a pain when someone has tried to paint it already who didn't prepare the wall!

Its supposed to be pretty out today. Looking forward to getting out and sowing some Poppies and a few other things. Bet a bunch more crocus will be opening in today's warmth, and a bunch more wintersown seeds will probably sprout. I've got Daffodils blooming that opened on Feb.27, the earliest I've ever had daff blooms! They're Rjenveld's Early Sensation, and I recommend them for those who hunger for early blooms. I'll be planting more of those all around the yard!

I removed all my summer bulbs from their pots and dumped the old compost yesterday. It's been a couple of years of just replacing the top inch or so with fresh potting soil, time to start anew. Several of my Calla tubers have gotten huge with many eyes. Oddly, some seem to have gone from a few big tubers to many small ones.

Need to get dressed and mix up some plant food for the seedlings outside. All the babies in the house got theirs yesterday, and yaaayyyyy...today it's warm enough to do the rest.

Have a great day everybody!
Neal
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2009
2:52 PM

Post #6220033

LOL Neal! Sometimes one just has to mention it. It does help if you are physically not in the best shape to do it. :) Most of our problem was having the three dogs and six kids.

After the chicken incident a few weeks ago, we were afraid to leave the two dogs run which we used to do. So they had to take turns on the lead, which they were not used to. So they'd come in and potty. Grrr. We found a great home for the third dog and the second is now learning to potty on the lead as she's learned she won't be off and running anymore. I feel bad she has to be chained now but it's safer for her anyway. She's the one that likes to race cars.

The walls-I don't know if they chained smoked in the house, used cheap paint or if it was the amount of lacquer in the paint, but NOTHING sticks to it but dirt of course. LOL So long as I paint with Killz (had something else that was better but twice as much) first, the paint stays on fine. The first time I painted, I just patched and skim-coated then painted and it all started to bubble. It's not good when you can wash paint off with a sponge. GRRRR.

This house has apparently been painted many times. Bad news is, when the paint comes off, in some spots, it comes off down to the drywall paper and it's powdery. I think this may always be a battle. If I knew we were staying here and we had any money, I think I'd just cover everything with new drywall! For now, I'm just trying to get things to look a bit better since I don't know who will be dropping by. It's still home until the bank throws us out...

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 4, 2009

Post #6220037

Chelle that man is a keeper for sure . :) T wouldn't know a vacum from a dishwasher LOL ssshhh don't tell him i said that .
Savannah is watching a movie , she is coughing and really feels yukky. School didn't say anything yet on her absent so i will hope for the best.
still pondering if i should attempt to get my plastic on the GH , no wind today so far wich would be a good . JUst to cold and lazy . got to find some nail first
ttyl
sue
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2009
3:08 PM

Post #6220126

Now I think I'm going to sit down and cry. LOL The UPS man just pulled up and dropped off a box. I really wasn't expecting anything. Everyone has been so generous and so giving and bought almost everything we could possibly need for our new baby. There were only a few things left and they were on the pricey side so we figured we'd get them here and there as we could.

One thing still on the list was a hi-def baby monitor because everything is so far from the bedroom! It just showed up with a receipt from Kell. :) DGers are simply amazing!
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 4, 2009
7:22 PM

Post #6221152

Kind of sad here today. Finally was making friends with the little stray kitty that came here about 6 weeks ago. There seemed to be 3 that came together. A russian blue that we have not seen in a while, this little one that we thought was probably a female, and an orange and white tom that has been a bit of a bully.

Decided yesterday, to go ahead and set the live trap and try to get the little one to the vet, as she has not been looking very good. THought she might be preggers and or very wormy. She's been eating like a horse, but still rail thin. Managed to get her in to the kitty carrier, to the vet, and left her to be tested for FIV, FIL and then if she was negative, give her "the works" and we would either keep her, or try to find her a home. Well, she had leukemia. So we euthanized her. Such a shame. Will try to catch the tom and see if he will pass, if he does, they will give him shots, neuter and we'll release him.

Vet said they have not seen leukemia in a couple years.

I HOPE she was a drop off, and was not born around here -- that at least would mean that this disease is not getting a foothold in our feral population in my area.

Sad, but glad that I tried to help the little one. Hopeful that we stopped a terribly infectious disease from spreading before it got to far along. Wish that I could have kept her and treated her, but didn't have a way to do that. Poor little thing. Darn it to who ever owned her and dumped her. She's been handled - the vet office said once they had her out of the crate, she was purring and loving being scratched and petted.

Well, at least she didn't suffer and didn't starve to death or die from the infection out under a tree somewhere.

Still, I am real cat lover, and I am sad today. Thought I was going to adopt a new cat, or at least temporary till I could find a home, and it turned out sad, and now find out we have leukemia in the neighbor hood. bummer
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 4, 2009
7:24 PM

Post #6221161

Hi! It's the Lurker here. I had a great visit yesterday. Indygrannyof8 came in and we drank coffee and chatted and chatted some more. Then we went to Applebye's for lunch!! Yah!!! It seems like anytime you first meet another DG memeber, it's like you have know each other for years. We thought maybe we could come to the roundup together and then she could meet all you great folks. There's another Jackson Co member I have yet to meet, but I hope to get to meet her this spring. Blueeyes3 is a friend of Veronica's(Indygranny) . They have known each other for years and are great friends. Belong to the same garden club.

Chele, I'm glad you got your baby monitor!! What a great gift! You know your baby boy is going to have a whole forum of Granny's who love him. Hope the birth goes well and quickly for you very soon. We all are getting anxious for him to arrive.

Lou

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 4, 2009
9:00 PM

Post #6221496

Wow Chelle what a great surprise , Yeah DG !
Jules i m sorry to hear of your kitty, :( yes it is good you got her so she didn't have to suffer. Your her angel for sure. T&P
We have a few little kittys lurking around her and checking out our back porch hmmm might need to get a few cans of food. :)
Got the plastic on Gh but still have the ends to do. I don't have the right tape grrrrr. i thought it was in a drawer but its gone ? hmmm
so its got some ductape but i don't know how long it will hold. I have a rip in it too GRRR. im hoping for the best on this one this year.
got to make dinner

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 4, 2009
10:12 PM

Post #6221727

what does it mean when a grower says they have "Propagation rights " (SP ?)
i would like to order some mints and it says it has propagation right in canada ? does this mean i can't grow them and sell them at farmers markets ? as an cut herb?
thanks for any help gang :)
sue
Indygardengal
Brownstown, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2009
12:08 AM

Post #6222302

Hi Sue
I'm only guessing but think it means you are not supposed to propagate it for furthur planting. Save seed or take cuttings. I could never understand why I could not use a plant I bought in any way I saw fit unless it was for resale. I would never do that I have read that the law means not to even propagate for your own use. Anyone else know for sure?

Lou and I did have a great day yesterday. It was fun getting acquainted and I am anxious to meet more of you. An interesting thing is we were talking about just about everything you know just jumping around all over the place and found out that her DH's uncle lives in my family home neighborhood. I have known him almost my entire life.. Small world.
Hoping to see you at RU.

My buddy Blue eyes 3 just joined recently. Don't think she has gotten into posting yet but she sure is reading. She may be lurking over on the Daylilly forum. A real daylilly lover she is. How do I know she may be anywhere even on ORVG

Can't wait to hear the news when we get our baby...

Thanks msrobin for your welcome

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2009
12:30 AM

Post #6222410

I think that's right. Just means not to propagate the plant, with mints its not like you have too! But you can grow the plant and harvest and do as you will with the yield.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2009
12:32 AM

Post #6222421

I'm baaaack... sorta. Using my sister's computer since the Kid is sleeping. My repaired (actually, rebuilt) computer was delivered this afternoon and I'm anxious to get some programs loaded on it but I'm quite tired and think I should wait until tomorrow. (I went to NC today, and back... a long trip for me in one day... 350 miles.)

Robin, the berries will do fine... unless they are hothouse-grown berries from down south (unlikely) and had no exposure to frost/freeze this winter. I can bring you a few red raspberries in June if you'd like... no guarantee of which variety, though.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2009
12:39 AM

Post #6222449

Ok good to know . Yeah .
Yeah darius is back ... sorta LOL glad to hear you got your comp repaired and its back home with you.
well off to get kids in bed.
good night
sue
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2009
2:45 AM

Post #6223037

It has been another busy day here. I went to the grocery and did all the errands, and came home to find DS and his SO painting. We put up border in the family room, and now I can clean and straighten that room. Will then tackle the laundry room and clean it from top to bottom. That will only leave the spare bedroom which I am turning into an office. I can see the end of this project, and I will be out working when the weather warms without any guilt about what needs to be done in the house.

Sue sure hope DD recovers and that the school doesn't hassle you over her absences. Great on getting the plastic on the greenhouse. Hope you are able to finish it tomorrow.

Lou and Veronica, sounds like you had a good time meeting and talking. Veronica, we will be looking for you in June, or May or whenever the RU is held.

Chele, wow, such a lot of work in just getting the walls ready to paint. Hurray on the baby monitor, and coming from a DG member, what nice folks reside here.

Robin, hope that you get the computer problems solved, and sounds like the dog issue is finally getting resolved. Hope you have a good trip home, and find no damage to anything that belongs to you.

Darius, welcome back, seems like forever since you posted. Hope you get the computer up and running, and beome a daily member that actually posts.

I will need a carpet cleaning. I heard that Sears is a good company to do the cleaning. Anybody ever use their carpet cleaning service, and if so, how did they do? I have a steam cleaner, but it really doesn't do the deep clean that the commercial cleaners do. It is good for the in between cleanings.

Off to bed so that I can slave away again tomorrow. Good night folks.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2009
12:46 PM

Post #6224096

Good morning
Bonnie the school told me that 6 kids went home yesterday with upset stomaches. Yikes , another mom said they are just dropping like flys with this bug. LOL i made a pun :)
how are your arms Bonnie still attached from all the painting . Yeah that you have help.
dd is going to school , she only became sick once yesterday and she did eat some soup. So we shall see. but she does have nasty cough, no fever . I got to get to the grocey today
gonna be warm today yeah !!! might rain boooooooo
take care everyone
sue

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2009
2:33 PM

Post #6224435

Morning all!!

Happy Birthday to you♫♫Happy Birthday to you♫♫Happy Birthday dear LurkerLou♫♫♫Happy Birthday to youuuuuuuuuu!!! Hope you have a great day!!
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2009
2:47 PM

Post #6224485

Lou, hope you have a great day, maybe you have already celebrated with Veronica the lunch and girlie talk!!

Cleaning again today, it is declutter the laundry room day.,
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2009
3:56 PM

Post #6224750

Hey all...I'm still alive! This cold is still hanging on...but getting better. I can taste and smell a little now! How awful that is...not to taste.
Happy birthday Lou! Better you than me...LOL!!! Sorry..couldn't resist...since I already had mine this year!
Chele...I'm waitingggg ...impatiently...lol. Can't wait for you to have that baby!! I know you can't either!
Well..going to the grocery today because... tomorrow...one of my very favorite nurseries is having a going out of business sale! 75 % off! I doubt they have much in the way of plants...but they had a fantastic gift shop...so my friend Martha and I are going early!! The sale only lasts two days...Friday and Saturday. They had a lot of really neat things there last time I was in.
It is Forest Hill Gardens, near Troy, Ohio. I just can't believe they are going out? I just hate that, cause I loved to go there!
Their card said they wanted to spend more time with family and new grandbabies coming. Myself...I think that has to be an excuse...and so does Martha. It's way too bad!
I could go there and spend hours just walking around their greenhouse.
Now..if any of you go...wait until I have been there first...lol!!!
Been reading about all the painting going on...and hard work. No painting inside here this year...yayyyy!!!
I did get my new braided rugs that I ordered online...for my kitchen. I love them!!! They look really nice on my wood floors. I also got pads this time...and that sure makes a world of difference. Had to cut the padding to fit the oval shape of rugs...but was easy to cut with scissors.
Also...another tip. If any of you have Kitchenaid mixers, there is a new aftermarket beater available from an Ohio company...a family owned company. I will attempt to put the website up here...so you can go watch the video. I ordered one...anxious to get it. If you buy this week..up to March 7th...you get 2.95 shipping.'
http://www.frutproductsstore.com.
Hope you can get this!
Well..I'm off to get busy here!!! Have a great day all!

Ok..it works for me...be sure to watch the video...click on it at the top.

This message was edited Mar 5, 2009 10:58 AM

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2009
5:01 PM

Post #6225056

Wow, Marcy, that was impressive! Wish I had one of those mixers so I could get one of those blades!!!! :O)
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2009

Post #6225068

I know where there might be an extra one...LOL :-)

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2009
5:07 PM

Post #6225077

If my arthritis gets any worse in my wrists, I'll HAVE to get one!
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2009
5:24 PM

Post #6225142

Thanks for all the birthday wishes. I officially am starting my count-down to retirement. 24 months and I'm out of the work force!!!! I'm enjoying my day and think I will go out and see if I can work at cleaning up some flower beds. It may be toooo windy! Lou
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2009
5:42 PM

Post #6225224

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LOU!!!!

Ric
BertieL
Franklin, OH

March 5, 2009
5:57 PM

Post #6225284

Hi to all this afternoon. Lou Happy Birthday to you and many more.
I am retired but have gotten bored this winter, with all the snow and cold days. Come on spring.
Dusty are you sure Cookie will share with me? Just kidding.
We had a good time yesterday but I am with Joyce I don't think the show was as good as in the past. It was fun just to have girl time.
We alwasys have fun wherever we go.
Joyce, would love to walk about 2:00 will that be ok????
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2009
5:59 PM

Post #6225296

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LURKY LOU!!!! Many, many more!!!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2009
6:04 PM

Post #6225312

Happy Birthday, Lou!

Marcy, I got that new mixer blade... the one Amazon carries. Haven't used it yet... I'm still on strike about using the kitchen. I want the other one, too... the one with the slots in the silicone edges. (I didn't look at your links, but when I ordered mine, only the one at Amazon was available.)
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2009
6:23 PM

Post #6225383

Hey Darius...well get with it girl!!! I wanna know how good it is???? And yeah...I want the other one too!!!! Looks to me like they both would work good!
Ok...off to the grocery and library!!
Oh...and Darius...the other one just became available again. I was on an email list to be notified, as I wanted it for Christmas...and they ran out. Soooo..I'll let you all know if it works..or if I wasted my money! It won't be shipped until March 23rd.
I'm gone!!!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2009
7:14 PM

Post #6225548

Marcy, any new purchases (for me) will have to wait until I get these computer repairs paid... and they did a LOT of repairs, mostly new parts: New optical drive (R/W DVD/CD), new keyboard, new hard drive, new audio flex cable, new logic board, new logic board enclosure, new temperature module, new top case, and new bottom case. I guess only the LCD screen is old now.

I have about half my programs re-installed so far. It also looks like I didn't lose very much data, as far as I can tell right now! Still have lots of files and photos to re-install.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2009
7:44 PM

Post #6225622

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LOU! I'm so happy to read about you and Indy getting to meet! I hope the two of you will have lots of fun together!

I got in from the Dr about an hour ago. We had a nice long chat today and cleared the air some. The last big debate is whether or not IVs are necessary for labor. Of course I say no and she and the hospital say yes. The other issue is how long the baby and me need to stay. I already told her I'd sign us out AMA if I had to because I wasn't putting up with anyone bugging me/us.

The baby is still measuring a little big. She thinks he'll hit and maybe exceed 9 pounds if I make it the full 40 weeks. He's head down as he's been for the last month or so and I'm ready when he is.

I know Dusty mentioned it somewhere...It looks like we are naming him Nolan James, probably without the d on the end. My brother actually gave me some grief about naming him Nolan/Noland and asked if it was in reference to our dad. I told him I really didn't know but reminded him it was my name for 23.5 years! I'm not sure why he even cares given that he sees my kids once a year if that. ALL of his kids have that name for a last name!

Today we received a gift card from Lana so we can go pick up the diaper pail and some refills! I think we are totally ready for the little guy to get here!

Sorry not to address everything and everyone. I'm really tired and really hungry. LOL

Hugs to all!
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2009
8:24 PM

Post #6225816

Why on earth would an IV be necessary for labor?? I always get one, but they induce me because of my thyroid issues, so they drip the pitocin through the IV (ugh). If you don't have to be induced, and you don't want any meds, I don't know why you would need an IV. I suppose they like putting it in ahead of time in case you decide you want pain meds later. It doesn't take that long to hook up an IV when that "later" comes, though.

Nolan James is a great name! :-)
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2009
8:34 PM

Post #6225871

The only thought I had about the IV is for emergency purposes in case something went wrong. I hated to say that, but hospitals usually look ahead to all possibilities.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2009
9:04 PM

Post #6226028

I agree, Bonnie. Every time I have been in the ER in the last 2-3 years, they almost always routinely put in an IV port. Often, it is never even used.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2009
10:27 PM

Post #6226345

Yeah, the IV port is for the just in case. My thought is, if you are in a hospital, there ought to be someone that can get one in fast if it is needed. I don't like them because they are in the way, they are painful and I've yet to need one. If they put them at the elbow, you can't move your arm and if they put them in the back of your hand, they just plain hurt.

Then you have to deal with the tape or those big sticker things, etc. And it's easier to starve you and not let you drink because they can stick the bag on and control that too...and it's easier to administer drugs...just the chain reaction of giving them an inch and they take a mile. I prefer to birth the way it was intended. LOL It's one thing if you have medical issues and a totally different thing if you don't.
dispatcher1
Seymour, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2009
10:41 PM

Post #6226418

Chele,
I know what you are talking about. I was lucky with both of my girls births. The doctor did not believe in anything at all that might not be needed. I had no IV's and no meds! They induced both births with the lozenge under the tongue because they were each 3 wks overdue.( Heaven forbid that Chele goes overdue). I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I was so very large, uncomfortable and very irritable with all the well meaning folks calling everyday to see if I had any labor pains yet. I was a mean and nasty momma by the time I had the baby. Lou
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2009
10:52 PM

Post #6226455

Ack Lou! Three weeks late?? I am glad you found a Dr. that would work with you!

My first four were two weeks late (but it's the way the Dr.s figure it). Number five was two weeks early and the last was actually on time. LOL
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 5, 2009
11:53 PM

Post #6226711

Awwwwwww Michele...I am sooo tickled about his name...I think that is a wonderful strong name for a boy with 6 big sisters who will spoil him rotten...Good for you telling that Doc like it is...or is gonna be...Ain't like you haven't done this a few times before...LOL
You know your own body better than anyone, and what you can and cannot, will or will not tolerate..
I am with you on the **Don't Bug me**...and at close to 9 pounds, I think you and Nolan(d) will be just fine...and tell yer brother to stuff it...You didn't comment on what he named his kids, so butt out...That is nobodys biz but yours and Craigs...

All of my hall woodwork is second coated, and it needed it...so the last of the green gets cut in and rolled tomorrow...I quit early today...
Had a nice hot shower and my hair is drying while supper is cooking...
Pork terriyake stir fry with Jasmine rice tonight...
As soon as my hair gets dry, I have to fly down to the corner for butter... I tore the freezer apart, and there is no more...I thought sure I had at least one more pound in there...:-(

It is 63* here at nearly 7pm...amazing...Jim and I both got alot done around here today both inside and outside...I think I will work on my needlework tonight...

Hope you had a good one Lou~~~

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 6, 2009
12:13 AM

Post #6226790

Happy Birthday Lou !
sorry to forot to post that earlier
ttyl
sue

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 6, 2009
12:29 AM

Post #6226848

Inside for a break... got tired of playing 'computer' and decided to burn brush since it is/was nice outside and no wind. I'll have to go out again and be sure the piles are out before retiring for the night. I burned 3 huge piles down to 3 tiny piles of mostly ashes... maybe about half what needs to go. Lots of long and unwieldy branches from the lilac demolition last summer. Man, that stuff is hard to burn!

I've walked miles up and down the slope in the yard(s) today, and I'm sure I will feel it tomorrow, along with stiffness from bending over a zillion times to pick up sticks. But, all that's good for me to do... too sedentary over winter!

Chele, keeping my awareness tuned to your coming event!

Back to my fires... BBL
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 6, 2009
2:46 AM

Post #6227390

Well, we haven't started a pool on the birth of Nolan James, and I think a 1.00 a vote and pick a date. Who ever wins, will get the donations from the individuals, or we could do it at the RU? Any takers?

My vote is March 11-full moon.

Marcy good to see you again, and glad to hear that you are feeling better. Hope this will be the last of the colds for this winter.

Bertie, good to see you, I know that you and Joyce and Dusty are all having a grand time, close together.

Luker Lou, hope your birthday was everything you wanted it to be.

Dusty, your supper sounded good. Glad you are down to the short hairs of the painting job.

Darius, yep, I gotta get out and get some cleanup done. However it was so windy here today, that nothing could be accomplished outside.

I finished the laundry room today, cleaning and decluttering. So now I only have that 3rd bedroom to tackle.

Tomorrow me and a neighbor are going out to eat. Both of our birthdays are in March, so we are calling it an early celebration. DGD will be coming tomorrow afternoon, and she always has a planned agenda, so we will be busy all weekend long.
daylilydaddy
morehead, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 6, 2009
4:46 AM

Post #6227911

Hello all!
Got back from meeting the surgeons/seminar on the lap band a few hours ago. It looks like things will go as planned. I just need clearance from my cardiologist for surgery and a few other tests required by lap band team and it should be a go. They say it will be in 6-8 weeks. My cardiologist told me 2 years ago that I only need to see him if I had a problem. So I hope he is still around. After the surgery the surgeon discharged me after 3 months and then I had to see cardiologist every 2 months until he was happy. There is a lot that I will have to do, but feel It's the best option at this point. Nervous, but excited.

Been really busy getting make shift green house up and it looks like the "bones" of old one will be a new chicken run for my layers. They are way too big to be loose and tearing up gardens. So maybe the loss of the green house can be used after all. Also starting lots of seeds in my domed treys. I joined a coop a few month back and got some seeds I had really wanted for a long time, but were too expensive. The coop let me buy them. I really hope they do well. Mostly semi shady to full shade plants. Which is what I have more here. Got lots of coop items coming also, but don't tell Jeff! LOL It's the "sneaky" season again.

I finally bought an incubator and have about 60 eggs in there. Bantie and large breed dark egg layers. I will keep some and sell some. I just love fooling around with baby anything. I have a little friend I made locally here and she is giving me here next mini donkey! I have always wanted one. The parents are just up to my arm pits(I'm only 5' 5") The baby they had last year came to just about my knees. The baby should be born in late summer. It takes 11 month for them to deliver. Poor momma's.

We are thinking of renting our spare bedroom out to a friend of ours. He is in a management training program and could use a cheap place to stay until he completes the training. They work him to death with little pay. I guess they weed out that way. The 300.00 extra month would be nice, but loss of the room(It's my plant/craft/crap/supposed to be spare room) We prob will do it. We are saving up for me a truck and that money could be saved for nothing but that.

Happy birthday Lou!
My 1.00 is on march the 15th.
((HUGS)) to all!!!
George

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 6, 2009
1:01 PM

Post #6228554

I'll take March 20th...sorry Chele...

Mom did good at the surgeons yesterday. They took out the 24 staples. He wants to see her one more time and since she has an appointment with her other surgeon next Thursday, they made it for the same day. She can ride in a car now, so she's happy about that. Bowels have seemed to calm down and she is getting stronger all the time. Still no appetite though.

Bertie and I will be exercising in an hour, so I best get ready to go. See you all later!

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 6, 2009
1:05 PM

Post #6228567

Happy Birthday to you♫♫Happy Birthday to you♫♫Happy Birthday dear Crashlette♫♫Happy Birthday to you☺☻♥♪and many moooooorrrrree!
:-) Just in case you're lurking, Girlfriend!

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 6, 2009
1:23 PM

Post #6228632

Good morning
making it quick
Yeah Geo . Wow we won't even recognize you in June!
have a great day
sue
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 6, 2009
2:15 PM

Post #6228801

Put me down for a $1 for March 17th!

Joyce, glad your Mom is better!

Bonnie & Dusty, great job on wrapping up your indoor projects!

Darius & Geo, sounds like you're both making lots of progress, too!

Getting kind of excited about going back home next week, but I'm sure going to have lots to do in a very short time. Hopefully there won't be too much ice/freeze damage, so I can get spend some time accessing the gardens and planting the berry bushes I'm taking back.

I started a bunch of seeds a couple of weeks ago and will be putting them outside this weekend. It's been really nice here in the 60's and 70's, but still cool some nights, so figured I'll keep some plastic handy to cover plants at night if needed. The flowers will go in the ground, as well as most of the vegetables. Will keep a couple of tomatoes and maybe some spring stuff in containers, so we can take them when we leave here. Just bought seeds at the dollar store, so I could save the good seeds for the home garden.

Hope everyone is having some great weather and that you all are doing well!

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 6, 2009
2:42 PM

Post #6228936

LOL Bonnie! You guys are too funny! No one wants to sweeten the deal by guessing birth weight?? The girth of my stomach (I haven't even freaked anyone out with a belly picture this time!)? What about hair? Two had heads full of black hair, two were bald and two had strawberry blond hair... Hmm, one vote for a full moon and one for St. Patrick's Day...one of my nieces was born on St. Patrick'ss Day and she really is a Patrick! Maddie would like me to go two weeks late and have it on her birthday. sigh.

Joyce, I'm so happy to hear about your Mom!

George, I know this is both a scary and exciting time for you. I wish you the very best! From experience, I say locking up the chickens is a good idea! They destroyed all my plants around the garage (hosta, heuchera, heucherella, tiarella, ostrich ferns, liriope, lamium, etc, etc). booo hoo Most of it was planted in 3-4's so I could sell the extras. :(

Darius, you work way too hard doll! It's nice out today but windy and I'd love to go cut up some tree branches or pick up the yard but my belly says it's a no go! I do need to clean out the car so may do that.

Robin, hope you are enjoying home away from home. :)

I think I/we are going to run to Kmart in a bit and pick up the diaper pail so that will be ready to go. Tonight we have a basketball banquet, just pizza, pop and trophies but it's a nice way to end the season.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 6, 2009
3:00 PM

Post #6229016

I just saw a bee outside!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 6, 2009
3:43 PM

Post #6229176

I hesitate to mention the weather here (zone 8), because it sounds like gloating, but...79* yesterday and in the 80's today. Doesn't even feel hot like back home would at the same temps. Last night it only got down to 62*, so slept with the windows open. It ain't home, but at least it's nice enough to start gardening. God willing and the creek don't rise, we'll be here till June/July. There's no flowers in this yard, so am going to "landscape" while we're here. Gives me something to do.

Some friends here have a pasture that butts up to their backyard that now has 12 new born goats in the pasture. Sheryl has been feeding all the animals in the evenings, because they are so poorly cared for. We spend a lot of time over there watching the goats, potbelly pigs and donkeys.

George, I'm with Chele on the chickens running loose. We finally got some landscaping done at home and the chickens have destoyed about half of the plants, mostly hostas I grew from seed. They are fun to watch chasing around the yard, but I hate to see all my hard work destroyed in seconds.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 6, 2009
3:48 PM

Post #6229192

Yeah, you better be careful mentioning those temps! LOL

It has to be so fun to watch all those critters. We've waited so long to get critters, holding out for fencing. We do have the chickens and rabbits.

I'm glad you will have some dirt to play in and will also leave something nice behind for whoever lives there next.

I guess we are going to jump and run. I fell like I'm "wasting" a really good day! It's kind of dreary and overcast but it feels really nice out!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 6, 2009
5:19 PM

Post #6229572

Well, I'm NOT betting a dollar on any date for 'Chele... I always lose and she'd carry him forever! :)

The thermometer says it's 60 outside, but doesn't feel like it with the wind... Bonnie, you didn't need to send your yesterday's wind my way!

I thought I'd get my onion sets in the ground today but the moon sign isn't right until next Wednesday - Saturday noon. However I did also buy a pack of convallaria... actually 2 packs, one is pink... and will plant them instead. I have to check my moon sign book and see when is the best time to re-set the posts for my rasp. trellis, but I got most of the maple tree debris cleaned up in that bed yesterday. Sunday is a good day to transplant the rest of my raspberry plants, which I can do even if I haven't re-set the posts and re-strung the trellis wires.

I found some guaranteed hardier rosemary plants online, at Forest Farms, and want to order at least 2. My rosemary in Asheville, just 150 miles away, grew to 4-5 feet tall. Here, none have made it through any winter for 3 years running, and bringing one inside is also doomed to failure. I use a lot of rosemary and I really miss being able to cut some fresh (even through a snow cover) for winter cooking.

Geo/Chele, when I had chickens, I'd let them out for a short while, in the afternoons usually. Not long enough to do any damage, but long enough to eat bugs in my strawberry patch. I didn't have much else for them to get into as I didn't really "garden" back then. I hope to have chickens again some day. All I need is to build a decent chicken tractor, but my money priorities are first on fruit trees and berry bushes.

Off to the sunshine...
Kydaylilylady
Waddy, KY

March 6, 2009
5:39 PM

Post #6229655

Nice weather right now. Not sunny but certainly warmer than it has been.

Not much going on here. It appears that the US postal service has lost the insurance check on my greenhouse. FB issued it on 2/24 and we've not seen it yet. I guess I'll give it until sometime next week and call them again to reissue.

I got my larger zip up greenhouse up day before yesterday and got a heater in it. That seemed to do very well. Got home yesterday afternoon and it was blown apart and peat pots and flats were scattered everywhere. Using what they give you to secure the darned thing certainly isn't enough. I got what I could salvage back in the trays and then got out my tent stakes, rubber tie downs and baling twine. Should have done that in the beginning. Several connectors cracked but I think Grower's Supply can replace them. I hate to spend $200 for something and still have nothing but my ingorance got me there and I've never gotten a "free" education. I'd probably have been better off going ahead and buying 10-15 flats of cabbage and broccoli instead of trying to grow my own. I still may end up doing that if these don't get with the program and grow.

Dad said he thought it would be dry enough tomorrow to plow so I guess DH and I are on our way over there to get the plow out from behind everything imageable in the barn, get it hooked up and get things turned over. We also have to work cows tomorrow so reckon it will be a long day. A week's worth of dry weather right now would come in handy. I need to buy potatoes and get them cut.

DH went to an extension meeting last night. He's now in the mood to tie up all of our tomatoes this summer. I've always just put straw underneath them and gone on. If he wants to do it I'll be glad to help but be darned if I'm doing it all by myself. We should have close to 300 tomato plants this year if all goes well.

Everybody have a good weekend.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 6, 2009
10:14 PM

Post #6230684

Well,I am done with the housecleaning. Just straightened and dusted, and ran the vacuum, to get the crud of the painting up. A neighbor and I went to lunch today, and I really enjoyed it, we haven't done that all winter, and we talked our fool heads off.

Darius, we had the wind for 2 days, and glad that it is gone from here. Hope it doesn't hinder your outside work.

I will begin to plant some seeds next week, because I can, and because I now have nothing pressing to get done inside. That is a great thing to be able to say.

Janet, rats on the greenhouse blowing down. And the lost insurance check, it comes in threes you know, so be careful getting out the plows tonight, or working the cows tomorrow!!

Gotta go cook some supper. BBL

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 6, 2009
10:14 PM

Post #6230686

What do you use to coat the cut potatoes? I just remember my grandfather using some white powdery stuff...

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 7, 2009
12:28 AM

Post #6231059

KY i m with you , i like my matos to sprawl . I use straw too. Why do extra work when you don't have too?
well i m pooped
so i will make it short tonight
got basment done almost
so seed starting will be in the near few days
Gh is still not mended.
i did manage to clean up all T's tools and get them organized. Whew . I can find stuff now.
Good night
sue
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2009
1:37 AM

Post #6231389

Darius...Here is a link to the powdering you are talking about...

My Poppa never did that... he cut the pieces to have *2 good eyes as does man*, and let them sit over night on newspaper out on the porch...He dug a deep trench and the next day they went in covered with about 3-4 inches of dirt...every couple weeks, he added more of the trench dirt back over the stems until they were in deep hills...He never used mulch except for tossing the tree leaves on the spent garden in the fall and turning it under...I don't think he knew what *mulch* was...and I'll tell you another lil secret...bout Maters...he stripped most of the leaves off of the plants once they had set blooms...

Well y'all.. the painting is done and over with...and Bons...If you think I'm gonna go clean MY laundry room...yer outta yer tree!!! ROFLLLLL

And you all Betting on when young Master Nolan(d) gets here, I'd say the pot needs to be donated to his Mother for his needs!!!
And I've got $5 on the 14th, sparse black hair, but I'm seeing more dark auburn...and 8 pounds 13 ounces...Okay, there went me making a bigger fool of myself... :-)

Here is a before and and after... This is the middle hall looking to the back hall

Thumbnail by DustyDS

Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2009
1:39 AM

Post #6231399

Good evening everyone.
Well...my early trip to the greenhouse going out of business was a bust!
They were to open at 9:00 A.M. We arrived at 9:30 A.M...(somebody overslept!)
The WHOLE grassy area around them was full of cars...clear out to the road. And the gift shop was so full of people...you couldn't even get in it! They had all the large things like fountains, cement things...etc...outside...and most all of them had a sold sign on them already! Sooooo...I got nothing! There were some small things inside that I would have stood in line for, but my friend, Martha, had invited another friend and her daughter to meet us there, and they were ALL ready to leave and go to Tipp City to a tinshop...and then to lunch.! Carolyn, and her daughter left, to head to Tipp...and Martha kept telling me ...they are already gone...we should go too. I said to her..welll maybe they shouldn't have left so soon! Anyway...we left then and went to Tipp too.
Next time I will go by myself! I was very disappointed not to be able to get anything.
I guess these folks are going to build a greenhouse at their residence...which is in Union City, Ohio...not extremely far from me. They took my phone number and email...and said they would keep in touch.
There is a new begonia coming out this spring from Proven Winners, and Dave (greenhouse owner) said he would try to get me one...but just looked at the Proven Winners website, and looks like it will be hard to come by this year...being new I guess.
It;s called Belligio. It looks like an Angel Wing...but has double flowers, and is gorgeous!!!!
We did go to lunch at the Coldwater Cafe in Tipp City...and that;s always nice, with good food.
Had a good time despite the bad morning!
We are supposed to be near 70* tomorrow...wooooohoooo.!!!! I can't wait!!!!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2009
1:40 AM

Post #6231407

And here is the finished product...

Yeah... I know all about those arms fallin out of sockets...I have fought through so much pain now, mine are numb...

Have a good night all... I'm looking for the rain locker and my bed...

Thumbnail by DustyDS

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 7, 2009
1:53 AM

Post #6231453

Dusty, Thanks for the tater tip from your Poppa... but I didn't see a link about the powdery stuff...
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2009
2:03 AM

Post #6231488

Ya know Darius... if I had half a brain tonight, I'd be dangerous...

Try this...
http://www.gardengatemagazine.com/extras/52potatoplanting.php

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 7, 2009
2:09 AM

Post #6231519

LOL... and Thanks!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 7, 2009
2:18 AM

Post #6231560

Dusty, after reading the link, I'm fairly sure he probably used a sulfur powder. I didn't do that last year and my spuds grew just fine, planted and hilled in old straw. Cleanest potatoes I've ever seen dug. I also didn't cut many, as they were small to start with... I think I have enough left in the root cellar for this year's planting although I'd prefer sweet potatoes.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2009
2:38 AM

Post #6231622

Evening friends, awww Marcy I am so sorry that somebody overslept and you had to contend with a crowd, and still didn't come away with anything. I am sure that lunch was fine, and that you had a good time.

Darius I have never heard of coating the potatoes with anything. We always cut them 2 days before planting them, to give the cuts time to "scab" over, then planted them in deep rows, and as Dusty said, kept filling in the dirt around the emerging plants. The biggest problem we seemed to have is an abundance of the potato beetle. Finally gave that garden spot a rest for several years, and when we resumed raising them in the former garden, the beetles were not much of a problem. And according to folk lore, potatoes were planted on Good Friday, if the weather cooperated.

Robin, I am glad that you will be able to plant some flowers where you are, but your home will be so bare when you return. I hope you don't find much damage on your return trip, and things go well for you.

George, I didn't comment on your upcoming surgery, but I hope that everything goes well, and you have a super fast recovery. I know that you will feel so much better, and will be healthier for it also.

I am recording your bets on the Birth of Chele's bouncing baby boy, and we will wait and see who the winner turns out to be. Dusty a good suggestion, about donating the pot to the upkeep, of the baby.

Darius good job on the painting. I don't want to see any painting equipment for a long time.

Sue, so you started in your basement? Gathering courage to tackle the rest of the house? LOL

Off to read my email.
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2009
4:02 AM

Post #6231938

Dusty...looks great! I should clarify...the 'somebody' that overslept was me!!! LOL!!
Now i have another sore throat from being out in that wind i bet...so just had a glass of brandy...4 oz. and that helped...but its hard to see straight...lol. I'm a light weight!! Good thing I can touch type..lol! Off to bed here. Gonna get my potatoes planted too..on St. Paddy's day!!! Nite all.

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 7, 2009
1:44 PM

Post #6232967

Marcy what a bummer ! , yeah i agree they shouldn't have left ? but glad you had a good morning considering.
Im going to try my spuds in leaves.
Bonnie LOL yeah i might be brave and do the house too. LOL i really need to dust ! we are sneezing like crazy .
Good morning everyone
well not much here
gonna order sweet potatos with snail mail for Sand Hill. Kinda a pain but they have a assorted Northern variety special , so i thought i would try that . if they don't sell out
off to the basment
sue
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 7, 2009
1:45 PM

Post #6232971

Goodmorning, Friends!

I agree about the pot going to the baby!

Stopped by our friend's house last night that has the pasture behind them...one of the baby goats was on their side of the fence, so I got a chance to hold it. Ohhh, I want a dozen or two of 'em! They are so cute!

I've got plenty (or should have) of flowers back home. I planted mostly perrenials with a few self-sowing flowers. As long as the ice didn't kill them, anyway. Hoping the fruit trees and bushes, and the couple of hundred each of strawberries and asparagus were hardy enough, too.

Marcy, if that sale was that busy at 9:30, just think of what a madhouse it would have been at 9!

Dusty, looks good! That's about the shade of green our bedroom in this rental is painted.

Darius, so glad you are back on line!

Well, hope you all have some beautiful weather to enjoy outdoors this weekend!
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2009
2:40 PM

Post #6233258

Good morning all! 59 here already. It feels nice out there. TWC says we are headed for 71. woo hoo.

I'm headed to clean out the car while Craig and some of the kids clean out chicken coops and I don't know what else. We still need to finish the painting projects but it's too nice to stay in!

Having lots of sporadic contractions here but nothing work tracking. I think my sister and niece would get a kick out of me having a St. Patrick's Day baby. :)

I think it's very nice of you guys to consider giving the contest pay off to the baby but I think you should leave it as Bonnie suggested and let the winner keep it. After all, I already get the best "payout". I get the baby! LOL Besides that, this baby already has more than any of my kids ever did and I'm truly grateful. I was terrified, starting over with absolutely nothing, and my dear DG friends took care of pretty much everything. We have been blessed over and over again. So please, stick with the original plan. I think it's fun and funny!

Well, I'm going to get my buns in gear. You all have a great day!

Don't forget the time change tonight!
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2009
4:33 PM

Post #6233694

Good morninggggggggg!!!
LOL@ MsRobin! I hadn't thought of that! And I bet they all had to stand out in that wind till the doors opened!! I just wonder what they had left to even sell today???? It was supposed to be a 2 day sale!
Well...my head is all stopped up again this morning...or was...now I am blowing like crazy...geesh!! Will this never end???
I haven't looked yet...but the mail lady just drove in..honking her horn loudly...to let us know about pkgs. Dave said I got my book ...P. Allen Smith's latest garden book...AND my new mixer blade!! Don'tcha just love it? They said it wouldn't be shipped till March 23rd. Yesterday I got an email that it was mailed on the 6th...and today...the 7th..it's here!!!! Well...better than late!!!
Can't wait to try that new blade in the mixer! Darius...you have to try the one you have too!!!
Not sure what is going on here today? I wanted to go out and cut down grasses...BUT...we still have that wild wind here...so don't think that is a good idea.
They are already blowing all over the yard! I think we have something like 12 of them scattered about. What was I thinking????????
And most are near buildings or other plants...so we can't even burn them anymore!
Oh well.!
I hope you all have a wonderful day...whatever you decide to do!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 7, 2009
5:19 PM

Post #6233863

Good Morning~! well, barely morning, it's almost noon. Can you believe I went to a garage sale this morning? I just happened to spot it on my way home from my weekly treat of breakfast out. (Just a Hardee's bacon/egg/cheese biscuit and coffee, but at least I got out of the house.) I got a set (for 6) 100% cotton placemats and matching napkins, several hand towels with the crocheted tops that button over a refrigerator door handle, and a small igloo cooler, all for $5. I really needed a small cooler for day trips, instead of carrying the big one in the truck just for a sandwich and a soda.

The day is gorgeous and I just may get the rest of the tree debris cleaned up today. I stopped at the local roadside stand this morning and made arrangements for the helper fellow to come back and finish tilling the other half of my vegetable bed. You may remember I did half last fall before my helper got sick and was hospitalized.

Tomorrow is a good moon sign day to transplant the rest of my raspberry canes, and the pink Lily of the Valley pips I bought last week. I need to scout out where I think I planted the white sibs Neal gave me last year and see if they survived and have started to grow. I tilled near that area but I don't think I tilled them up. I have lots of blue sibs, but that's the only white. Same area has the lily bulbs Melissa gave me, and I don't remember what they were, except very tall with white flowers. Not an oriental, nor an asiatic, as I recall. Guess I'll have to ask her when I get over being embarrassed at not remembering the name!

I am seeing some blue canes up on my hillside... black raspberries. I may try to transplant some of them. That hillside is so overgrown that the canes get choked out before they can fruit.

Does anyone have any experience with digging up sumacs? Over the last 2 years, a 10' strip at the top of the backyard has become infested with them and I want to get them out before they get any taller. Then I can keep them mowed down. Most are now 3-4' tall. Actually I'd like to take out the 10' above the seedlings, which is thick, thick, thick with sumacs about 10-12' tall. The bees had a field day last year when they bloomed, and I understand the berries are edible although best for juice. I just don't need or want 300 of them!

Later taters...

taynors

taynors
Urbana, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 7, 2009
6:31 PM

Post #6234120

I saw some spring this morning. MY peonies and some lilys in my circular driveway flower bed. ( cdf )
got some things done outside,
watching Big Mamma's House 2 lol love that movie.
planted some lilys i forgot about last fall , they were sitting by a raised bed ? huh ? so i planted them over by my compost bin.
made a pathway out of leftover bricks in the cfd.
pics soon to follow
sue

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 7, 2009
7:52 PM

Post #6234411

It is "officially" spring here at my house... I have my first blister! I have worn gloves all winter when bringing in firewood... don't have a clue why I decided today I could use my clippers without them! Anyway, about 75% of the dead stuff has been cut back. A lot was cut back last fall, but not very short so there'd still be some winter protection. The grasses and sibs are the worst to cut back with my clippers. I should have fetched my garden serrated knife.

It is always a surprise when things I have forgotten suddenly shoot up, and this year there should be LOTS of them. I already have a few short blooms on some bulbs, some kind of crocus? Very thin green leaves with a narrow white stripe down the center and yellow flowers that last only a day or so. They were already here when I moved in, along with a few poorly tulips.

Today I saw buds on my currants, gooseberries, elderberries, lilacs, and flowering quince... and on the figs I had in the root cellar. I'm so excited!!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2009
10:03 PM

Post #6234854

I am going to join Darius in the **Club Excited**!!! My hands are filthy, there is dirt impacted under every nail and I have a thistle sticker stuck in my hand that I can't find... ;-)))

I have **green stuff** coming up everywhere, buds on the Hydrangea, the Koi are up and looking for food, there are a bunch of 2 inch baby Koi and a lil froggie jumped back in the pond while I was there...

I cut back the Butterfly bush according to directions, pruned a couple trees, cleaned out along both sides of the waterfall so I can get to it, and cleaned out some inside of it too...If this weather holds, I will get the filter and skimmer cleaned out, the pump pulled, taken apart and cleaned, and start dismantling the waterfall to get all of that nasty creeping vine among other things that are growing on the liner removed, the rocks cleaned of dead string algae etc..and hopefully find the leak so it will be ready to go...The big pond is going to be a whole nuther ballgame since Cookie wasn't here to clean it last summer...I have my big preform pond to dip out the fish if need be, but I bet it takes better than a week to get it all cleaned out and up...There is tons of dirt and mud in the waterfall, that shouldn't be there, and that is why those weeds are taking hold in there...I see some lilys coming out and the iris is coming up too...Gotta check the pots, and redo any that need it...I have plenty of containers to put them in to hold them till I get the pond cleaned up...

I had a Blast today!!! and it is now SEVENTY THREE DEGREES!!!!!!
gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2009
11:09 PM

Post #6235123

Oh yes! What a day! I've got a new cold frame :-) I've sort of turned into a "hot box". Filled 15- 5 gallon buckets with fresh cow manure and lined the bottom with that. I put cardboard on top of that, and set my flats on top of the cardboard. Lots of heat comes off that poop, the babies should stay nice and toasty! Now I've got space freed up under lights and can get several more batches of seedlings transplanted.

So many crocus opened over night! First thing when I went outside this morning, I had to grab the camera.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2009
11:14 PM

Post #6235150

More pretties!

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

gemini_sage
Winchester, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2009
11:20 PM

Post #6235162

One more,

Thumbnail by gemini_sage

Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2009
11:40 PM

Post #6235233

Well kids, I guess you all lose. I don't think anyone guessed March 7th or 8th. I wonder which side of the time change he'll pop out on. LOL

My water broke. It's a good 30 minutes to the hospital so we are going to drive to that side of town, putz around and see what happens.

I guess hubby will post an update tonight or tomorrow.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2009
11:52 PM

Post #6235273

HOLY KATZENJAMMERS!!!!!

Creator Be with you Michele!!! I am sending Smoke now...

Can I at least get $1 in on hair color??? LOL
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 7, 2009
11:57 PM

Post #6235301

ROTFLOL

I called Peggy and told her to hurry her up and get her bet in! Contractions started at 4 minutes apart so I guess we are going to take off. Peggy will probably have the first updates until hubby lets you know he's here.

Have a great night!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2009
11:58 PM

Post #6235307

Nooo Honey.. YOU have a great night!!!! and Kiss that baby boy for ALL of us here...
SoCal
Huntington Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

March 8, 2009
12:02 AM

Post #6235322

Oh my gosh, good luck Michele. I will be checking in all evening, for an update.

See everyone, she WAS nesting this past week? lol

Donna..., the other lurker. lol

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2009
12:07 AM

Post #6235340

I'm outta here ... gonna set out my big dish and break out the good herbs...No Bertie, I'm not setting the garage on fire, and noooo I'm not smoking illegals...Time for the heavy artillery...
C'mon GrandFather...we got a baby boy to birth here...Lets make it easy on his Mom...

joycet

joycet
Franklin, OH
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2009
12:18 AM

Post #6235381

I'll take March 7th...oh shoot, I already took March 20th. :O)

Well, I had a glorious day outside. I wasn't going to take but one more Japanese Maple from over there, but Dusty is crazy about them and I love them all! So I took the one I wanted, an Ukigumo and one I thought was dead last year, and a Crimson Queen that is Bill's favorite. They all got in their new places and watered well...praying for a successful transplant!

I got lots cleaned up today. The pink mums that Bertie gave me are already starting up. They were so pretty last year. I have a bad feeling about the crape myrtles I planted last year. I don't think they cared much for that -10* weather at all. :O(

I wanted hamburgers on the grill for dinner, but Bill told me he didn't know where the grill was...um...I'm pretty sure that was a fib...anyway we had them on the George Forman and it was good enough.

Chele, I know you're already gone, but I'm praying for you and Nolan that you'll both do fine and not have too much pain.

Love you all!!♥♥♥
Marcy_1
New Madison, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 8, 2009
12:51 AM

Post #6235548

Cheleeeeeeeee...all the best to you and the youngun'! I pick March 7th because that was my mom's bd!
Thinking of you tonight...and prayers for everything to go right!!!
lilyhostaky
Flemingsburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2009
12:55 AM

Post #6235557

Thinking about you Chele...
Hope you have an easy delivery...

Pauletta
henryr10
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6b)

March 8, 2009
1:23 AM

Post #6235676

Joyce tell Bill the grill is by the butt rock.
We used it at the Fall RU.

Hope everything is going well Chele!

Well we hit 75 here today.
The back of the house is repaired and the gutter reattached.
The grasses, Sunchokes, Iris and Sedums in the Driveway Beds are cut down.
And the car is tuned up for Spring (cheated there as we have a friend do it).
I'm a bit sunburned but the good kind!

KILLER Crocus shots Neal!
Our Snowdrops are in full bloom but no Crocus yet.

Ric

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 8, 2009
1:24 AM

Post #6235686

Hey Chele!!! Wow, what a surprise to come in here and read that you and Nolan are ON THE WAY!!!!
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2009
1:25 AM

Post #6235692

I have a HUGE Announcement to make in a real hurry so I don' spoil Micheles...and this is a biggie...

I hope to be hosting the Fall RU in Conjunction with Cookie, and hopefully Bertie...I just got off the phone with my dearest friends in Barrie Scotland...
They have a wedding to attend in MI the last weekend of August, and are heading our way again...They will stay the week and the following weekend to meet all of you who would like to come...and John WILL be wearing his Kilt...He promised me...Kinna promise he will behave however...LOL

These are the most lovely people you will ever meet...Down to dirt wonderful...I am beyond thrilled they are coming to see us again...!!!! Please save the first weekend in Sept, as I know it now...Mary will update me with the exact dates shortly...

Now I'm gonna run away and wait for the blessed event to appear...I was on the porch sending Smoke when the phone rang...

C'mon Nolan(d)!!!!!!
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 8, 2009

Post #6235780

Thanks for commenting on the shower page, Donna! We've not been online much the last couple of days and I was a whole day behind here! Yay! Baby time!!

I just sent a Dmail blast to all the baby shower invitation recipients. Happy day! :)

This message was edited Mar 7, 2009 8:55 PM
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

March 8, 2009
1:46 AM

Post #6235786

Oh, shoot, Dusty - I doubt we'll be able to make it to the fall roundup since the Kentucky roundup is so close on its heels. I'd love to meet your friends, though!
delecie
Homestead, FL
(Zone 10b)

March 8, 2009
3:00 AM

Post #6235875

Blessings Chele and family. May your delivery be safe and peaceful. XOXO
mystic
Ewing, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2009

Post #6235881

Chele just called again she is walking around in the hospital parking lot. The doctor she has been having doesn't work on weekends and she will have a different doctor. She doesn't want to go in until it's closer to time.
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2009

Post #6235921

Well I hope the *weekend * Doc knows she is impending, and is on the way or she just may get an ER nurse...

Edited to say: Walking and breathing deep are the best and after 6 , she knows better than anyone...Tell her we are here...I have sage going...

This message was edited Mar 7, 2009 9:19 PM
Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

March 8, 2009

Post #6235939

Oh, boy! I figured he would be here by now, she never takes long pushing them out :) Just talked to Chele on the phone last weekend.

Lana
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

March 8, 2009

Post #6235968

Chele
Sending my prayers for a safe delivery, and as always ...
Hugs&blessings ... ~Susan
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2009

Post #6235991

Oh, goodness, Just got here, and am sending t & p's for a quick easy delivery.

Dusty, you news was a surprise,and like gardenwife, it is close to the Ky RU, so will have to see when it gets closer if I will be able to make it.

Neal, thanks for sharing those crocus with us. I don't have anything in bloom, but I was out this afternoon, and I have lots of green poking through the ground. Sedum, daylilies, hyacinth, iris, peonies, naked ladies, columbine, I had intended to get some clean up done, but it was so windy, and I wasn't feeling on top of the world, and rain is coming so decided that I would curb my enthusiasm and wait until the first of the week.

Hello, lurkers, nice to see you, but come on in and chat with us.

CountryGardens

CountryGardens
Lewisville, MN
(Zone 4a)

March 8, 2009

Post #6236004

Just hangin' around waiting for the news.
Visited with Chele & family last fall, great family!
Wishing her the best.
Bernie
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2009

Post #6236023

I posted a new thread for the well wishers for Michele (Badseed) here so they don't get lost...

Please use this new thread for her...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/960436/

The Coffeehouse will continue to a new thread momentarily...
DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2009

Post #6236044

New COFFEE HOUSE Thread is now here :

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/960439/
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

March 8, 2009

Post #6236071

**pant pant pant*...WHEEW Just made it...I was over to my DD's celebrating my DGS 14th Birthday ( a week late)...and got home to the news that OUR baby is almost here!!!

My DD just finished a cake decorating class...here is the cake she made for Andrew...we'll celebrate Nolan's arrival with it. Jo

Thumbnail by roadrunner

Wvdaisy
Buffalo, WV
(Zone 7a)

March 8, 2009

Post #6236074

I'm hanging for baby news, too :)

Took this pic today of these tiny daffs 'Tete a Tete'. They're on the south side of our block house so always bloom early.

Thumbnail by Wvdaisy

DustyDS
Sugar Valley, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 8, 2009

Post #6236090

Thread is CLOSED*********************

See above for well wishes for Michele, Badseed
[HYPERLINK@davesgarden.com]

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Ohio River Valley Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hummingbird and Butterfly Garden Plant Lists with Invasives? tabasco 80 Aug 1, 2011 6:49 AM
Let's go gardening! Terry 1 Jul 9, 2008 12:16 AM
Adams County Amish Bird Symposium: March 3, 2007 tabasco 6 Sep 7, 2008 10:34 PM
Cincinnati Flower Show 2007 "Play in the Dirt" tabasco 18 Apr 21, 2007 7:48 AM
ORV Spring Plant Swap/Potluck Questions Illoquin 154 Mar 12, 2007 9:21 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America