4WD farm ATV or Mule?

Tamworth, NH(Zone 4b)

Just wondering what people's experiences/preferences are with regard to these two different pieces of equipment.

We need to haul hay, logs, feed, fencing, etc. around, and have a mostly wooded, hilly property (with logging trails) which we will be partially clearing for pasture. I can see either vehicle working out, just not sure if one would be more useful than the other. Can you attach a plow or snowblower to a Mule? What about brush hogs?

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

A mule can handle a small plow very well. But snowblower & brush hogs as well as post hole drillers are strictly for machinery. Our son & DIL have a scid(?)mover(?)That probably isn't what it is really called but it is a very versitile machine. They have 2 buckets that go on the front of it. Both items would be good to have. Just remember that a machine and an intellegent feeling animal are 2 entirely different things & require different care.

Tamworth, NH(Zone 4b)

LOL, I didn't mean a 4-legged mule with big ears. I meant something like this: http://www.uvcountry.com/mule.html

:-)

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I've never heard of one of these. I think I'd go with the larger machine.

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

OK, I was on the animal track too until I noticed the capital 'M'... only mules would ever capitalize their own name. LOL Even the most devote muleman still uses a lower case 'm'... usually prefaced by something akin to dadblame mule.

Now, if you'd like to consider a 4-legged mule, there are tow-behind brush hogs that you could tow hitched to a forecart, I'm thinking of getting one. They're made for ATVs, which don't have PTOs. In fact, there's quite a bit of ATV equipment that can be used with a mule team. There are also snowplows you can build for clearing the road with an animal hitch.

As for the Mule, I'd contact the manufacturer to find out what capabilities and attachments there are.

Good luck...
Jay

Fowlerville, MI(Zone 5b)

ROTFL..... I was picturing a 4 legged mule with big ears too!!!!! Dadblame mule!! LOL

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

OK, these machines are technically called UTVs... utility terrain vehicles? Anyway, my new Cabela's catalogue shows several different attachments for ATVs and maybe they would work with UTVs... snow plow, disc, disc and cultipacker combo, harrows, seeders, etc. Northern Tool has a bunch of stuff, too.

Although I do think it's a bit of stretch of Cabela's to show a couple of hunters in one of these machines and caption it "Stalking the 10-pointer". Honestly, if you can stalk a deer on one of those things, I'm not sure I'd want to eat it. There must be something seriously wrong with a deer that stands around and lets one of those drive up... muscle wasting disease or something. LOL

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Minnesota law forbids hunting from a ATV. You can use it to go to your stand or to drag the deer out after it's field dressed. Your gun needs to be in a case when you are operating the ATV. Of course advertisers would never research that before making an ad.

Nashville, TN

We have a Kawasaki "Mule", 4 wheel drive, diesel. We got it because we needed 2 seats - to carry 4 people. It's great for a "gentleman farmer" like me who needs to haul light loads, check my property lines in the woods, etc. It does great off-road. For example, it'll knock down 2" diameter trees with ease. Cleaned up and decorated, "Annie", as we call her, did duty as a people carrier for a recent wedding on the farm. Not for everyone, but a very reliable vehicle that's fun to drive, haul firewood, and other necessaries.

Hempstead, TX(Zone 8a)

We have a 10 year old Kawasaki Mule that does well for hauling feed, debris, tools, dogs who like to ride in the front and in the back. It will go "off road", but here in Monaville, Tx off road is flat, flat, flat - mostly pasture land. My DH also has an ATV that will pull a 12 foot trailer, yank someone out of the mud while hunting, etc., etc., you can purchase equipment for it (see Cabelas or other sites). We have never hooked any attachments to it, but we have seen them on several web sites.

Symsonia, KY(Zone 6b)

We have a Mule, and its so handy around the yard and farm. i use it to haul dirt, shovels, plants, etc. we use it to clean up, haul limbs, blocks. we check the fence with it. it isnt 4WD but the wheels lock in. it will go almost anywhere. it has a hitch so it will pull a trailer. the bed tilts. its one of the best things we ever bought.

Goldthwaite, TX(Zone 8a)

Instead of a Mule, we have a Kubota RTV 900. Diesel, 4 wheel drive, three range hydrostatic drive, bench seat for 2, dump bed, top, and windshield. Basicly a small- wheeled Kubota tractor with lots of power and good traction for pulling anything.
It is surprisingly not very noisy, and uses very little fuel Our dump bed is manual, but I plan on adding the accessory power dump before too long. The high end models come with complete cab, radio,AC, and a price to match.
Robert

One word of caution, for any of the atv types. You can go up steep hills and down steep hills, but do not try to ride across a steep slope!! All of these have rather narrow wheel bases and will roll sideways easily. Once dived off a four-wheeler on the high side an watched it roll over four times down the hill. No harm done, just a jacket full of wet snow and a cold ride back to camp. Lesson learned and not forgotten.

This message was edited Apr 7, 2009 9:36 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images