Photo by Melody

Terrarium Gardening: 10 and 55 gallon Aquariums/Terrariums...what to put in them?

Communities > Forums > Terrarium Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Terrarium GardeningReplies: 10, Views: 193
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sweeetdreamer
Grants Pass, OR

March 1, 2009
1:44 AM

Post #6204356

I acquired 3 really nice aquariums that I thought would make good terrariums for various environments. 2 are 10 gallon and one is a 55. I have 2 little kids in the house and my daughter is very interested in plants so I want to use them to grow some interesting plants. For one tank I thought I'd make a desert environment and grow small species of cactus, in another I was thinking about more tropical plants that require higher humidity and in the last I was thinking of even adding something live besides plants, such as frogs so the kids can see how things work in nature. I'm not really set on these things, just some ideas. But I have no idea on what types of plants to use and how to organize them, I could really use some advice, maybe some pictures of your own terrariums to inspire me? I'm lost on what to do next.
threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

March 1, 2009
1:59 AM

Post #6204410

I've got ferns, Episcia, Prayer Plants, Syngoniums...Strawberry begonia in mine.
threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

March 1, 2009
2:03 AM

Post #6204430

Picture:

Thumbnail by threegardeners
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sweeetdreamer
Grants Pass, OR

March 1, 2009
6:25 AM

Post #6205209

Those look beautiful together. Are the ferns very fussy? I'm very good at killing plants. I have strawberry bagonias and they seem to be surviving my black thumb. But the rest I don't know about.
threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

March 1, 2009
4:11 PM

Post #6206255

The terrarium is actually the only place I can keep ferns alive. They love the humidity.
Sallysblooms
South, TX

March 14, 2009
1:11 AM

Post #6263405

Epecia love humidity too. Easy, this one, Cleopatra loves plain old peat moss.

Thumbnail by Sallysblooms
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sweeetdreamer
Grants Pass, OR

March 15, 2009
7:38 AM

Post #6269231

What a pretty little terrarium. It makes me what to put a smaller one together.
How do you water? I've been misting some of my plants with water bottles.
Sallysblooms
South, TX

March 15, 2009
9:23 PM

Post #6271817

Are you asking me? I rarely have to water my Cleopatra's in glass with the top covered. When I do, I use a turkey baster and add a few drops of AV fertilizer to the moss.
sweeetdreamer
Grants Pass, OR

March 16, 2009
7:09 AM

Post #6274049

wow. I never would have guessed that it would survive in just peat and a bit of fertilizer once in a while. Thanks so much for the info.
Sallysblooms
South, TX

March 16, 2009
6:58 PM

Post #6276210

Yes, I have two and they are VERY large and happy! I just had to put one in a LARGER bowl yesterday! He is in his little pot of peat, that is how I bought him. I just left him there and then put the bowl in more peat moss, spagnum. He makes more roots all the time! They are under bright lights of my IGS shelves!

My other epecia's did not like the lights on the IGS shelves. They prefer less light, nat. light and humidity. The pink Cleopatra's need bowls, they have to be kept humid.
CasaGrandeGRDNR
Casa Grande, AZ
(Zone 9b)

April 12, 2009
4:52 AM

Post #6398285

I think the 55 gallon habitat would be perfect for a small colony of Pacific tree frogs. You could use native Flora to create a suitable environment. This would be a great way to educate them on the native Flora and Fauna of Oregon.

You could use native moss, fungi, and ferns...it would be truely phenominal. A great learning experience.

D-mail me if you are interested in how to set it up to be safe for the frogs.
Jan

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Terrarium Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
How to start? LittleHippyGirl 3 Apr 9, 2007 7:08 AM
Terrarium Links begoniacrazii 42 Jun 21, 2007 2:52 PM
My new terrarium Plantcrazii 13 May 7, 2007 1:55 PM
Here is my terrarium Plantcrazii 37 May 6, 2007 6:00 PM
My new dart frogs/vivarium! clarkranch 14 Oct 31, 2007 8:11 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America