Show Us Your Hummingbird Feeders, Vol. 1

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Now that the 2009 migration season is underway, all of you will be looking for ideas on hummingbird feeders.

Don't forget to visit the sticky for links to track the spring migration.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/956793/

Don't ask me where this feeder comes from, but it's very cute on the deck with other copper items. I'm told (it's my Mother's) that it is not easy to clean though.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Marlton, NJ

It is pretty Marna and that's a great pic!

I posted it in the other thread but here is a mini Hummzinger. A saucer style feeder that's very easy to clean.

Thumbnail by pelletory
Marlton, NJ

Here's an old pic from 2007

This is a Perky Pet Rose Petal feeder. The hummers loved this feeder but it was not as easy to clean as the saucer style. The portals were also big enough for different bugs to get in.

Thumbnail by pelletory

I agree, I have that one and I liked it because it came with an ant moat, but I couldn't clean the inside of the bottom part. I don't think I'll use that one again.

I have this one from Perky Pet and it's just okay. What I don't like about it is that the hummingbirds hide on the other side!

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

And this one from First Nature. It's super easy to clean, the bottom part comes undone. The wide mouth makes it easy to clean and fill.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

I had a couple of these which looked great in the garden because I have wood raised beds.
the plastic insert is easy to clean, but eventually leaked. The sugar water and rain water wound up getting moldy/stained though, so I abandoned.

http://www.birdfeeders.com/store/hummingbird-feeders/124

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

I have the regular sized humzinger and the orioles just love it! I do too, sense it is real easy to refill while hanging outside, you just lift the top red part and refill. I have to refill it so much because the hummers aren't the only ones to use it.

Marlton, NJ

Mrs Ed, do you have a window feeder?

I just got one for Christmas. It's still in the box. Want a picture of it?

Marlton, NJ

Sure why not! Who makes it?

These are both Hummzingers. Can't WAIT to fill them

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Marlton, NJ

I like the Jewel Box!

Be sure to let us know how they like it. I'm sure they will!

okay, but it might be AUGUST before you know. LOL!!!

Marlton, NJ

Oh that's right. You don't get them till late.

i had couple in aprilů

you know, I think that Rose is hogging them all down in Missiouri.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

I have the First Nature Ones......I have 2 each of the 16 oz.and 32 oz. They are just so easy to clean. And they seem just right for them to perch on and be able to eat.

I have the Hummzinger Ultra also. If you are just going to have one I reccommend this one. It's easy to clean, has a built in ant moat, and cant spill. It is the only hummer feeder I can leave out overnight. The raccoons can't get the nectar out!!

I also have the Little Fancy...I am not real happy with it. No moat, big openings for bugs to get in easily. and very easy to spill. I dumped this one a couple of times.

I really like the looks of the Jewel Box too!

Marlton, NJ

Whats Little Fancy?

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

This is it...nice small size but that is about the only thing I like about it. My oops it does have a moat but the holes are so big that the bugs got in it really bad. Forgot the ant moat I bought was for the oriole feeder! DUH
http://yhst-34541111918557.stores.yahoo.net/hulifahufe.html

This message was edited Mar 3, 2009 10:54 AM

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

I have 2 of the large saucer types and really like them because of the ant moats and the ease of cleaning. I also have the First Nature ones and really like those the best!

I finally was able to get a few shots I had on my external hard drive...I must have deleted most of them as I only had a few showing the birds feeding (what was I thinking)!!? And to make matters worse...now I can't find them where I thought I had saved them! Oh well, I will post them whenever the computer gawds return the controls to me!! LOL!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Found the shot...it was in my documents!!

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

and this one...looking up at the feeder!

Thumbnail by dellrose

aw, great ones!

This is one of my favorite threads (I have it tagged). It's of Betterbloom showing off with her hummingbirds! Here are a couple links to images, but it's worth having a look at the whole thread.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=3412548

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=3412843

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=3413974

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

That's so cool...I would love to try hand feeding this year.

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Thought I would share what a Hummer looks like when he spends more time guarding than eating!

I called him my Barnie Fife Hummer!

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

one more.

Thumbnail by dellrose

ha. I forgot about Barnie. Yup, that's the Fife pose alright.

With all those birds you had last year, I'm sure you could try hand feeding.

I posted in this thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/542014/ to come over and share some of their home made feeder ideas. In case they don't make it, though you all might like to try some of these.

Marlton, NJ

I've been hearing about a Rufous Hummingbird sighting nearby. Would love to see one.

Marlton, NJ

Have you guys noticed there are more sightings on the Hummingbird Map?

Wow, there ARE!

Only 7 or 8 more weeks until they get to me!!!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Wow...they are starting to move...can't wait. I hope I can find some nice red plants to hang outside to make them feel welcome!

Rose, when was your first last year? I think mine was April 23 or 28 or something.

Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

Yes, I check frequently throughout the day! Wow 14 already!

Beachwood, NJ(Zone 6b)

Mine was April 22 here in NJ!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

My first one was April 17th...but then nobody showed in volume until a few weeks later. I distinctly remember whining and whining and woe is me-ing that I didn't have any Hummers! LOL!

I do too! And then BOOM! You were spending a fortune in sugar. Ha. Oh I sure hope some decides to stay all season for me this year.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Mrs. Ed...don't they spend the summer there?

Nope. I have friends outside of town that have them, so they are in the area. But haven't decided to stay in the garden yet. I had a couple in April and that was about it until the end of August.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

great photos... I can't wait!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.