Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Tropical Fruits: Sad Banana

Communities > Forums > Tropical Fruits
bookmark
Forum: Tropical FruitsReplies: 4, Views: 96
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Jungleman
Pasadena, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 1, 2009
3:29 AM

Post #6204749

My banana is pretty sad looking. Still growing, but not vigorously. It received cold damage over the winter, but the weather is warming up now. Should I cut it off at ground level and hope for a cluster of new growth, or should I just leave it? I am not really THAT interested in fruit, but would love to have back my lush foliage soon.
angel_tree_baby
Chickenville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2009
1:09 PM

Post #6205598

I would wait until after your last frost date and then just trim off the old foilage. The old ratty foilage will help protect the plant in case of further dips in temperature.
You don't have to cut it to the ground. Once it warms up it will put out new, pretty leaves again.

This message was edited Mar 1, 2009 8:09 AM
Jungleman
Pasadena, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 1, 2009
4:13 PM

Post #6206261

Last frost date was Feb. 3, and it is just now warming up this weekend (low 80s).

Thanks for the advice!
Jeff
starsplitter7
Tampa, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 20, 2009
4:55 PM

Post #6295234

How is your Banana doing? Do you have any pictures?

I have two dwarf Cavendish, and they had a hard winter. Many freezes, and even though they were covered, they received a lot of damage.

I have two pups with one, and second has a tomato growing with it (I didn't put it there, but hate to remove it, because it also endured this hard winter).

A friend of mine, who lives in a colder place in Florida has beautiful, unpampered bananas. She was told by a friend to cut them straight down in the fall (so they don't get any damage during the winter) and they will be beautiful come spring.

Her plants are really nice.
Jungleman
Pasadena, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 22, 2009
4:10 AM

Post #6302167

Thanks for asking!

It is putting out new foliage, but the trunk has a few brown spots, which make me think 'rot'. The new leaf is nice and bright green though. I'll wait to see if it gets more vigorous before cutting it back . I WOULD like to have some pups. Does anyone know if cutting it back might force new shoots?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tropical Fruits Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Tropicals: Dwarf Pomegranate Calalily 44 Jun 14, 2008 3:00 PM
My Ice Cream banana tree halo 27 Jun 7, 2007 2:41 AM
It just ain't so! :) Vee8ch 29 Sep 1, 2008 5:55 AM
Strawberry guava tropicalaria 58 Aug 21, 2011 8:27 PM
Passion Fruit dwallace59 5 Aug 24, 2007 5:40 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America