Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Superfruit ~ Acai Berry, Euterpe oleracea: Acai

Communities > Forums > Article: Superfruit ~ Acai Berry, Euterpe oleracea
bookmark
Forum: Article: Superfruit ~ Acai Berry, Euterpe oleraceaReplies: 5, Views: 54
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Mimulus1
Watsonville, CA

March 2, 2009
8:09 AM

Post #6209777

Hello Diana,

Thanks for the review. Do you have any information on the unsaturated fat content of the berries: e.g., mono-unsat, omega-3, omega-6? A high content of omega-6 is not very heart-healthy.

Thanks,

Rich

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2009
2:25 PM

Post #6210487

Hi Rich,

Omega-6 is an essential fatty acid that we do need to obtain from our diets, but you are right, there may be a health concern if too much omega-6 is consumed. American diets consume more than 10 times omega-6 than omega-3 http://ods.od.nih.gov/FactSheets/Omega3FattyAcidsandHealth.asp, creating an imbalance between the fatty acids.

In the study I cited in the article, the majority of the fatty acids the scientists found were from oleic acid (56.2%). Oleic acid is a monounsaturated, omega-9 fatty acid http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oleic_acid. Hope this helps :-)

Happy & Healthy Gardening,
~Diana
magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 2, 2009
6:01 PM

Post #6211506

How is the word officially Acai pronounced? Just curious as I have heard it pronounced a couple of different ways.

Neat article. Thanks.
robcorreia
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 2, 2009
8:02 PM

Post #6212031

Magnolialover, it's pronouced ah-ssah-ee, with the accent on the final ee.
magnolialover
Southern, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 3, 2009
3:25 AM

Post #6214285

Thanks. It's one of those words that I can't ever quite remember, even after I pronounce it after hearing it.

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 3, 2009
11:56 AM

Post #6215172

Glad you enjoyed the article :-)

A friend was just telling my husband and me about her sons new baby girl; her name is Asahi (朝日(戦艦). Asahi means 'morning sun' in Japanese. Every time she said the name it sounded very similar, if not exact, to the pronunciation of Acai.

Be well,
Diana

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Superfruit ~ Acai Berry, Euterpe oleracea Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
on euterpe harriss 3 Aug 16, 2010 5:51 PM
Acai bowl robcorreia 4 Mar 2, 2009 9:45 PM
for those who are not familiar with Acai LiliMerci 2 Mar 21, 2010 11:24 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America