Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Uncommon Nutrition from the Common Fig ~ Ficus carica: Fig Trees

Communities > Forums > Article: Uncommon Nutrition from the Common Fig ~ Ficus carica
bookmark
Forum: Article: Uncommon Nutrition from the Common Fig ~ Ficus caricaReplies: 3, Views: 53
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Skyflower1
Pender Island
Canada

March 2, 2009
3:22 PM

Post #6210788

I recently moved to this old farm-sted and found more than 18 large fig trees and 1/2 doz small ones planted all around a sunken rock garden on the sunny south facing flat side. I have no idea what variety they are but I now know, after reading your excellent article, that 'Desert King" is prevalent. I really wish I had not pulled off most of the little pea-sized figs last week, as I thought they were just small, soon to be petrified fruits, that did not plump up last summer. Silly me! Thanks to you, now I really understand why so many of my fig trees have these small figs still attached to their branches. It's unfortunate that I will have to wait another year to enjoy the fruits though.

I need to learn something about pruning figs, as my trees have been neglected for many years and I am sure they need some sort of pruning. Do the same rules apply as for pruning other fruit trees?

Anyone?
figalicious
Ramona, CA

March 3, 2009
7:35 AM

Post #6214966

Check figs3fun.com for varieties and gardenweb fig forum for lots of great advice on caring for your trees. Do a search for past articles on pruning.

figalicious
figalicious
Ramona, CA

March 3, 2009
7:36 AM

Post #6214970

Sorry, that's figs4fun.com...darn cat!

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 3, 2009
11:16 PM

Post #6217725

Nice name figalicious! I'll have to check out your link too, thanks.

Skyflower, I'm not familiar with your weather, I'm guessing your tree does not die back in the winter. [Our tree may die back and not survive after tonight, the weather is dipping down to 11 degrees F here!!!]

I am not a fig tree expert, if you tree is large and well established you may want to consult with a certified Arborist. If your tree is younger, maybe this link will offer a bit of help; this article has a paragraph in it regarding fig tree pruning: http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/fig.html

Happy & Healthy Gardening,
~Diana

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Uncommon Nutrition from the Common Fig ~ Ficus carica Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
And don't forget... LLMac 11 Mar 2, 2009 10:41 PM
Good article! darius 6 Feb 26, 2009 2:40 AM
Some more historical information jeffinsgf 1 Feb 25, 2009 7:58 PM
barren fig tree ZEZE49 1 Mar 3, 2009 10:57 PM
Black Marseilles (Marseilles VS) Fig ericlhyman 0 Jun 4, 2009 8:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America