don't ever pay the asking price!!

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

I have become very adept at negotiating with just about anyone for the price of something.
A very good example is medical bills; if you are like me, at the beginning of the new year you have a new deductible to fulfill before your insurance starts paying out, and so this past week I had a pretty sizeable bill to pay. I phoned the business office at the hospital, and offered to pay the bill in full immediately, if they could give me a break.
Ka-ching, 20% stayed in my pocket. That will buy groceries this week.

Try it - you might find you are enjoying the experience....

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

And with the status of the economy being shaky possibly more vendors will be open to dealing. I've always been timid about asking, but the worst that can happen is no deal.

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but my motto has always been 'the meek shall not inherit the earth' - in this case, the worst case scenario is that they say 'no, sorry'; and that has happened to me too - but I always felt better for trying, and that was also the way it was usually received 'I can't blame you for trying'.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I got a prospective hotel bill knocked down from 59.99 to 49.99 when I said I was considering the Best Western.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Here's an interesting article on the technique -

http://www.aarpmagazine.org/money/pay_less_for_anything.html

Naples, FL(Zone 10a)

That is very helpful!

Aschaffenburg, Germany

I live in an Arabic country, so if you don't ask how much a producit is before you buy it you have already lost money. So never say give me a kilo of this or that, say how much is a kilo of this or that....The other day, I said to the buther give me 6 sausages, I looked away for a minute and when I l glanced on the scales, the price seemed higher than usual, so I enquired again. How many sausages did you give met, he said 9, I said I wanted 6....and so on.

I must say I get so tired of haggling here that, if I am in a hurry or stinky mood, I just say gimme a kilo of this or that...C'est la vie.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Then there aren't any price tags on the goods offered for sale, gofast?
Here in our food stores at least the cost per item is posted on the shelf.
But even that can be misleading. The "economy" size isn't always a good buy. Last week I bought 2 10-count boxes of garbage bags at 75% of the cost of a 20-count box.

One ploy that can be useful is hesitation. After inquiring about the price, a doubtful frown and starting to turn away can often get concessions. Last fall, my brother bought a new truck. The dealer knew he would be paying cash. After settling on features and all details, my brother said he wanted to think it over for a couple of days. Instantly the dealer reduced the price by $500. Yuska

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Definitely, he who hesitates, especially paying cash, isn't lost!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images