Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Heirloom Vegetables: Is OSAKA PURPLE Mustard an Heirloom? Seed Pods Forming Now.

Communities > Forums > Heirloom Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Heirloom VegetablesReplies: 10, Views: 76
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2009
5:18 PM

Post #6211343

Hi,
I loved the look and taste of my Osaka Purple mustard this past season. It bolted when the weather got warm, and made yellow blooms all over. Now, the blooms have formed seed pods. They look like thin green beans. I'm assuming they're seed pods. Anyway, my question is whether I should even try to harvest these seeds. I'd like to grow more, true Osaka Purples.

Please advise. Thanks!
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 2, 2009
6:38 PM

Post #6211682

It is open pollinated, which means you can save seeds as long you don't have other similar brassicas blooming nearby. It is modern commercial cultivar so while I would not call it an "heirloom", definitions vary wildly.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 2, 2009
9:29 PM

Post #6212430

Um, Farmerdill,

it's sitting next to a Green Comet broccoli that is also blooming and beginning to make seed pods of its own. Will they cross-pollinate and hurt each other? It's the only Osaka Purple Mustard growing in the yard...
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 2, 2009
9:55 PM

Post #6212582

Green Comet is a hybrid broccoli. Why are you letting it seed? But seriously that mustard is B. Juncea and broccoli is B. oleracea so they should not cross.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2009
7:56 PM

Post #6216849

um, Farmerdill, this is my first season growing anything other than heirloom tomatoes...I really don't know anything, 'cept what ya'll are teaching me... I let the hybrid broccoli go to seed to see what the whole process looks like. I kept my eyes on the prettly little yellow flowers forever, wondering where the seeds were. Once I stopped looking, voila' there were seed pods! Cool. Again, I didn't know any of this before now.

Thanks. So I can finally cut down that broccoli 'cause those seeds will grow hair? LMK.

Um, I'll holler in the fall when I get ready to sow those Osaka Purple mustard seeds. Never grew any mustards (brassicas) from seed before. My first season, and I used seedlings.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 3, 2009
8:56 PM

Post #6217122

Actually most of the time you will get good production from F2 hybrids. They just will not be true to the F1 cultivar. Most mustards do well direct sown. Certainly all of the B. juncea like Southern Giant Curled, Florida Broadleaf, Red Giant and the like. There are a lot of plants commonly called mustard that are different species even genus.
texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 4, 2009
2:06 AM

Post #6218403

Gymgirl,

What is it that you like about Osaka Purple?

I have always planted either Florida Broad leaf or Southern Giant Curled. I love mustard boiled with hard fried bacon and a little bacon grease served with homemade vinegar hot pepper sauce and yellow cornbread baked in a big cast iron skillet.

I may like to try the Osaka Purple. Where did you get your seeds?

Jerry

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 10, 2009
2:34 PM

Post #6246785

Jerry,
First off, the Osaka Purple is a beautiful plant in and of itself. I'd plant it just for the brilliant purple color and the curly texture of the leaves. Second, when eaten raw, this plant gets hot (capsacin?) as you chew it. The more you masticate the juices, the hotter it gets in your mouth. But -- and here's the fascinating part -- while you get all the taste of hot in your mouth, your mouth does not burn! And even though your brain is saying, "my mouth is on fire," once you stop getting the juices, you realize your mouth is not burning! It sorta reminds you of horse radish, and I imagine chewing a large piece would probably hit you just like a mouthful of horse radish (and, no, I haven't been that brave!)

Tiny pieces of the leaves would be great broken up in a fresh green salad.

But, the whole hot/taste thing doesn't happen once it's cooked. But, I like taking folks on walking tours of my veggie garden and having them chew on a tiny piece! They love it!

Hope this helps. I'll send you some seeds when I harvest them.

BTW, Farmerdill,
I've been watering the mustard plant. should I STOP watering to let it and the seed pods dry out? Once they do, them I can just break them open and harvest those tiny little mustard seeds? LMK. Thanks!

Linda
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 10, 2009
4:24 PM

Post #6247262

Whether or not to water would be somewhat dependent on conditions. I don't irrigate except for the kitchen garden in summer. My soil usually has plenty of moisture well into May. I would suspect Houston also has adequate rainfall this time of year. But if watering is needed, it can be withdrawn when the pods start drying ( turning straw color) I cut off the seed heads, store them in a shed for a couple of weeks until they are bone dry and then strip the seeds.
For those interested in red mustards, Osaka Purple is supposed to be an improved version of Japanese RED http://rareseeds.com/seeds/Oriental-Greens-and-Cabbages/Japanese-Giant-Red-Mustard

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 10, 2009
4:42 PM

Post #6247340

So, the pods will turn brown when they're ready to, in spite of the watering, and not because I withhold water? Ok. I think I might've already killed it (or it has died) cause it's toppled over (wind) right now and I didn't water it this weekend. I can still collect the seed pods and continue drying them out, right? LMK.

Thanks, Farmerdill!

Linda
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 10, 2009
5:13 PM

Post #6247475

right

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Heirloom Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fermentation Brook 56 Oct 13, 2008 10:56 PM
Carolyn, Tell Us Please..... Brook 27 Sep 15, 2014 5:50 PM
Antique Ornamentals anyone? planman38104 55 Feb 24, 2009 6:05 PM
Does anyone grow Crinums? planman38104 18 May 28, 2008 11:44 PM
Your absolute favorite heirloom tomato Phred 321 Jul 30, 2011 7:54 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America