-
AuthorContent
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 2, 2009
6:05 PM

Post #6211518

The last few weeks my seed orders arrived and I've been busy planning which to start when and completely filled my seed starting shelves. The Kid (11 yrs) decided to do a little seeding herself and picked out some packages, found some pots and planted them. The whole package in one container. I will have to separate & repot. It took me a while to figure out what she planted since she got rid of the evidence (package). My expensive Sugar 'n' Spice sweet peas & Swainsona Sturt's Dart desert pea. She intially labeled them as Top Secret, don't touch.

Oh well, guess she has the gardening bug too.

Thumbnail by joannabanana
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 2, 2009
7:02 PM

Post #6211775

too funny! my kids would rather come down with measles than help with gardening!
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 2, 2009
7:24 PM

Post #6211883

Hi, how did you get the Sturt's Desert Pea to germinate? I have packets of Aussie Seeds (pea vines) & I can never get them to germinate. I nick them & soak them overnight. Any help you could give me would be appreciated. Thanks.
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 2, 2009
8:02 PM

Post #6212033

I have no idea. The kid did it and I know she didn't follow any directions. Beginners luck. There's 2 that germinated, but she put the entire package in there.
noQgarderner
Black Creek, WI

March 3, 2009
2:04 PM

Post #6215558

My kids love helping me plant seeds, but they are 2 and (almost) 4 so I just put a seed in my hand and show them where to put it. My son tried to eat a few too. It is the only time my daughter will get dirty too. IF only I could get them to pull weeds.

jasminesmom

jasminesmom
Saugerties, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 3, 2009
8:20 PM

Post #6216960

Thats sweet, at 11 I was still playing with my Barbie and couldnt care less about plants LOL

mjsponies

mjsponies
DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL
(Zone 8b)

March 4, 2009
12:52 PM

Post #6219625

haha...At 11 I was cleaning the horse stalls and trying to dump the manure right on the garden...mom had to explain that it had to compost w/ all the leaves from the trees for a good while first!! I thought I was being helpful and just skipping a step. Took my barbie out to the barn and tried to teach her how to ride the horse...my sister was horrified!
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2009
9:11 PM

Post #6221527

never played with Barbies - just wanted chemistry sets and models of tall sailing ships . . . I was/am such a geek. :-)
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 5, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9153873

Ok Success germinating Aussie pea seeds!! I finally got some Aussie pea seeds I had for a couple years to sprout after nicking, soaking overnight in warm water, then putting in a plastic bag with some smoked vermiculite with it. They are sprouting I planted them along with more of the smoked vermiculite in a mixture of 20% peat and 80% river sand in a pot. (did I keep them for 3 years?) OMG. Judy Showers (Buttoneer), Pa. USA.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 5, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9153882

>> my kids would rather come down with measles than help with gardening!

My Mom took over the garden and didn't let us kids interfere. As a result, I wnated my own garden for years, and finally got the chance.

Maybe if you had put the seeds on a high shelf, and forbid them to touch the trays ...
ALLOW them to weed once they're old enough, but under supervision ...

... but I know even less about kids than about plants. Probably they grow up too smart for the Tom Sawyer Maneuver now-a-days.

Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 7, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #9156426

Here are some earlier Au seeds that have already sprouted, in a planter outside. Didn't label them. Too excited just to get them in the ground.

Thumbnail by Buttoneer

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America