Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Superfruit ~ Acai Berry, Euterpe oleracea: Acai bowl

Communities > Forums > Article: Superfruit ~ Acai Berry, Euterpe oleracea
bookmark
Forum: Article: Superfruit ~ Acai Berry, Euterpe oleraceaReplies: 4, Views: 28
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
robcorreia
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 2, 2009
8:11 PM

Post #6212057

In Brazil (where I'm from) the acai bowl is made out of pure acai pulp and guarana juice. The most we add to it is a raw banana or a couple of strawberries. It's served with granola sprinkled on top and you eat it with a little spoon. So far, I have tasted NOTHING here in the US that has this taste...and I miss it so much, lol!

It's a shame because I'm under the impression no one here really knows what pure acai tastes like...maybe with all this boom we'll start to see it done the proper way! Fingers crossed!

Thumbnail by robcorreia
Click the image for an enlarged view.

KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

March 2, 2009
8:23 PM

Post #6212113

Roberta, can you describe the guarana juice? From the sound of this bowl, no wonder you miss it! Sounds yummy to me.

Kathleen

wind

wind
Mount Laurel, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2009
9:18 PM

Post #6212383

Hi Robcorreia, I think there are still many places in the U.S. that just use pure acai pulp along with guarana in their acai bowls, those may taste closer to what you recall in Brazil.

Many companies have eliminated Guarana from their drinks, most likely because some people get really bad reactions to it. I've read blogs by some customers complaining about how 'sick' they got (not realizing guarana was probably an ingredient) blaming the Acai. Guarana (Paullinia cupana) http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/66902/ would make a good topic for another article . I probably should have mentioned it in this article. Thank you for bringing it up.

Guarana is also from the Amazon Rain Forest. Since guarana has at least twice the amount of caffeine as coffee beans, it has been widely used as an "energy boosting" ingredient by the beverage industry.

Happy & Healthy Gardening,
~Diana

This message was edited Mar 2, 2009 5:29 PM
KaperC
No. San Diego Co., CA
(Zone 10b)

March 2, 2009
9:37 PM

Post #6212473

Ah-ha - thanks, Diana.
robcorreia
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 2, 2009
9:45 PM

Post #6212523

kathleen, I should actually not have said "juice", it's more like a "syrup". It makes the acai sweeter.

Diana, I understand the concern with guarana, but really, unless you take its pure form (in a pill, or powder, etc), I can't see how one would have a bad reaction...in Brazil even kids drink it, it's not such a big deal...I'll take a look at the article though. Thanks!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Superfruit ~ Acai Berry, Euterpe oleracea Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Acai Mimulus1 5 Mar 3, 2009 11:56 AM
on euterpe harriss 3 Aug 16, 2010 5:51 PM
for those who are not familiar with Acai LiliMerci 2 Mar 21, 2010 11:24 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America