Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Upper Midwest Gardening: experience with mats of seeds?

Communities > Forums > Upper Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Upper Midwest GardeningReplies: 9, Views: 54
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jcoakley
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2009
11:40 PM

Post #6213083

Anyone have any experience with those mats of seeds that you supposedly just unroll and water? I saw them at Menard's and wondered if it was worth a try. They had one with a mix of seeds for shade and I have just the spot if indeed it works as well as the box claims.
HoosierGreen
Danville, IN

March 3, 2009
1:31 AM

Post #6213736

I have a gardening-challenged friend who tried a couple of these, one of "wildflowers" and the other of some sunny mix. Both did pretty well and were a nice assortment of color and sizes. You have to prepare the ground of course, and for the money, I thought you'd be just as well off buying a package of mixed seeds that seem to be pretty common now anyway. The mats usually have a little fertilizer in them and the stuff the mats are made up of seem to help keep the ground moist, a plus for beginners. I think you can even cut the mats and use them in more than one spot. Most are annual flowers.
duck_toller
Middleton, WI
(Zone 4b)

March 3, 2009
9:21 PM

Post #6217203

I've had terrible luck with Menards, ACE hardware, and Home Depot plants, bulbs, and pre-prepared stuff like seed matts and seed mixes. Even their seed packets don't seem to do as well as a local greenhouse or online ordering.
jcoakley
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

March 4, 2009
1:11 AM

Post #6218189

I hear you on the box store plants, duck. I'm not doing that anymore. I'll have to see if my local garden center has something along the same lines; I feel like I can trust them.
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2009
6:53 PM

Post #6221069

I haven't tried the seed mats, but I suspect if it works for grass seed (and it does in my experience) it should work for flower seeds with a little preparation and care.

As for box store plants, I think we happen to be pretty lucky here. The Super Wal-Mart just a couple miles down the road from me always seems to have a decent selection of perennials each spring and the ones that I've purchased have thrived. Whoever manages their garden center seems to have their act together. At the other box stores I've been to (including other Wal-Marts), it's pretty evident that whoever runs the garden center doesn't actually have an ounce of garden know-how, and it makes such a huge difference! I think the person who runs our local Wally World must be a gardening enthusiast.
HoosierGreen
Danville, IN

March 4, 2009
8:08 PM

Post #6221320

I find that the big-box stores get in an interesting variety of plants, usually a good prices, but they go downhill quickly due to lack of even basic care, like watering! They provide gardeners a great service by offering some unusual varieties that many independent garden centers don't or won't carry for some reason. BUT, those big-box stores often get in landscape plants that aren't hardy in the local zone, or "houseplants" that are just not good for indoors (ex. 'Majesty' palms). You have to know what you're doing, as they sure don't!
duck_toller
Middleton, WI
(Zone 4b)

March 5, 2009
12:47 PM

Post #6224099

I've done well getting my annual bedding plants at Walmart and Shopko. In particular the geraniums and petunias do well. It is just the hardware stores that have more trouble.

On a different issue is anyone else peeved about the loud "you've won!" voice every time you come into Dave's Garden. It is hard to sneak a peak at work when that stupid ad comes on.
HoosierGreen
Danville, IN

March 5, 2009
1:47 PM

Post #6224280

I sure don't enjoy the pop up ads, but I think my computer is getting wise to them as most of them have been getting blocked. Perhaps it's the Firefox system I use, or the computer (iMac)...not sure which.
KaylyRed
Watertown, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2009
12:52 AM

Post #6226941

If you use Firefox, you can download a utility called AdBlock Plus. I wouldn't surf the Internet without it. :)

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865

HoosierGreen
Danville, IN

March 6, 2009
1:04 AM

Post #6227007

Thanks KaylyRed. I'll check with my son, the computer whiz, to see if I already have it. Most ads are already blocked.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Upper Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Me Too! Great Forum idea! / Seed saving question caitlinsgarden 12 Jun 6, 2007 1:34 PM
Let's Plan a "TO-DO" Calendar! julie88 104 Jan 23, 2013 10:47 AM
Raggball ornaments raggedyann16142 8 Jun 6, 2007 1:39 PM
Organizing & Documenting *my* Seeds and Plant Info julie88 199 Mar 11, 2007 5:11 PM
ROAD TRIP to DUBUQUE and beyond ! Wandasflowers 93 Apr 8, 2007 12:17 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America