Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: My Top Ten Stress-free Plants: Top ten tops with me

Communities > Forums > Article: My Top Ten Stress-free Plants
bookmark
Forum: Article: My Top Ten Stress-free PlantsReplies: 14, Views: 155
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

March 3, 2009
12:16 PM

Post #6215212

Stephanie: Your top ten, I'm glad to see, are the same ones I would choose. I might add an eleventh, Platycodon. I've had it for years and it's reliably hardy. Love it.

Thank you for your well written article.

Angie
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

March 3, 2009
1:01 PM

Post #6215353

Mom loves sweet pea, and I need to try the perrenial one. Didn't have success with the annual. Thanks for sharing. Great choices.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 3, 2009
3:59 PM

Post #6216007

I have all of those in my gardens except the sweet pea. I have had no luck with either the seeds or the bedding size plants. Will continue to try. The definition of insanity is...Doing things as you always do and getting what you always get...my case no sweet peas.
Potagere

March 3, 2009
8:01 PM

Post #6216871

cececoogan, we must be distantly related! I have exactly the same problem. Can't count how many of these I have killed as plants or how many seeds have failed to germinate. Have yet to see a flower!

Stephanie, my very first garden was comprised of four Burgundy-red peonies. It was my 6th birthday, so my present was my own garden, just like Mother and Daddy had. Hers was flowers in the front, and his was vegetables in the back. I got peonies on the side. Daddy made 4 raised beds out of 2 X 4s and old orange crates. He and Mother filled them with manure that one of the farmers who bought feed at Daddy's mill brought over, mixed with backyard compost. Mother selected and planted the peonies. I grew Lily-of-the-Valley around the base of these raised beds, because that was my birth flower; and I experimented with all types of inappropriate (for the location) and unsuccessful things like corn, cantaloupe and watermelons. But the peonies (probably because my parents got them off to a good start) continued to thrive until I went away to university. They were still there when my folks had to move into an aprtment because they could no longer tend to the house or their gardens.

Finally, we have a place where we can try to grow them again. I am anxiously awaiting Spring to see if the "Sorbet" I planted last Fall will re-appear!

Thanks for the article!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

March 3, 2009
8:14 PM

Post #6216918

The perennial sweet peas (no fragrance, BTW) are mega-invasive here, but this is the first time I've been able to get annual sweet peas to grow. The secret for me was to plant the seeds in a pot and then transplant the seedlings, rather than planting the seeds in the ground.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 3, 2009
9:38 PM

Post #6217322

Tried that too. No luck.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

March 3, 2009
9:42 PM

Post #6217340

Hmmm... Maybe the weather was too hot?
Potagere

March 3, 2009
9:58 PM

Post #6217414

Not too hot here in France, I don't think, and probably not up in Wisconsin! I'd'uv thought Zone 10A would be plenty hot!

There are just some things that I simply cannot grow and, like cececoogan, this is one of them.

Get this : EVERYONE can grow radishes. They are always in cluded in those "My First Vegetable Garden" kits for 2-year-olds. I can't grow a radish no matter what I do. I finally decided : I can grow plenty of other excellent vegetables, including many that are expensive at the store or the market or that can never be found there, so, fine, why waste my time and energy? I'll buy them at the weekend market!
Unfortunately, I can't buy either annual (sweet) or perennial (odorless) sweet pea at the store OR the market!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

March 3, 2009
10:24 PM

Post #6217524

It does get plenty hot here, so sweet peas are planted in the winter. I guess I must have planted mine in early February. The are nowhere near blooming size yet.

cececoogan

cececoogan
Waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 3, 2009
10:25 PM

Post #6217528

LoL glad I'm not alone...I don't feel so bad now.
ACWinOH
Sandusky, OH
(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2009
3:03 PM

Post #6242164

Thank goodness for this thread! I always feel silly when folks talk about their whatever that I cannot grow to save my life. It isn't just me!!!
Carol
Potagere

March 9, 2009
3:46 PM

Post #6242365

Carol,

That's a great idea!!!
A thread entitled : "Plants Everyone Can Grow :Except ME!"

A lot like opening a "child-proof" aspirin bottle, huh?

Jim
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

March 16, 2009
1:21 AM

Post #6273002

I have good luck growing sweet peas in "pro mix", a seed starting soil. I put them in 2 liter soda bottles. I use a soldering iron to put holes in the bottom, about 10. I read somewhere to nick the seeds, this may help, also soaking the seeds one night before planting, (or both) may help. I also use Quick Start Miracle liquid to get a better start on seeds as well as new seedlings. I plant these seeds in January and put them outside on my deck and "wait" till they sprout. It helps to put them in soda bottles because they grow straight up as they are vines. When they get about 3 inches or more, I transplant them next to a trellis. They really like cool weather. Perhaps this will help.
Regarding the soda bottle preparation: I cut the bottle about two thirds from the bottom. I cut vertical 5 slits in the bottom part of the soda bottle and one or two slits in the top portion of the bottle. After putting the soil in and planting the seed, I slide the top into the bottom part of the soda bottle.
Potagere

March 16, 2009
8:45 AM

Post #6274094

Thanks, birder17. That is pretty much what I did this year (we don't have "Miracle" products here, but others similar), and I am still waiting to see if anything comes up!!!
carolcooper54
George Town
Cayman Islands

April 23, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9093942

Love to read the threads! Don't feel like such an idiot when I have purchased no less than 20 packages of 4 o'clock seeds and onlygot one seed to sprout. Personally I think the insects eat them!! Going to plant some more today, had them soaking all night! Never give up, Never give up!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: My Top Ten Stress-free Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Daylily ACWinOH 0 Mar 9, 2009 3:00 PM
Rose of Sharon. GrandmaEdie 3 Apr 23, 2012 12:14 PM
Tired cottages lortay 0 Mar 11, 2009 11:55 AM
germinating annual sweet peas... mainegrdner 0 Mar 16, 2009 11:47 AM
top ten stress-free plants -corrections bostonbound2 1 Apr 23, 2012 11:06 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America