Photo by Melody

Cut Flowers and Floral Design: ranunculus, please stand up in your vase!

Communities > Forums > Cut Flowers and Floral Design
bookmark
Forum: Cut Flowers and Floral DesignReplies: 8, Views: 34
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
puppieskitties
Los Angeles, CA

March 4, 2009
12:48 AM

Post #6218083

I love ranunculus and just bought some gorgeous yellow ones at Trader Joes. I've never bought ranunculus before. The day after I put them in water, a few of them were starting to bend and break at various points in their stems. The next day, a few more. It's not just the big blooms, some of the smaller buds are completely bent and hanging. I cut them above the bend and I'm floating them in water, but they're not going to last very long.

Is this normal for this species of flower? How do you keep the standing straight and tall after you add them to water? They don't just bend at the point where the vase ends. It's very strange.

Any help would be appreciated!
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2009
12:55 PM

Post #6224121

The only thing I can tell you is that they are one gorgeous posey, but I have never had any luck with them. I can't even keep them thriving potted 10 minutes after purchase so have never had the pleasure of trying to cut them, I just can't get them to do anything. Sorry for not being of any help on this, but at least you got them to the cut stage.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 6, 2009
6:52 PM

Post #6229988

I do have some ranunculus, and I don't remember them bending as you described. I did not have very many before and have mostly left them in the ground. Last year, I planted a few more, and divided some of the older bunches. They should be blooming in about a month or so. I'll pick some then and watch how they behave. Will get back to this thread. They are lovely flowers.
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2009
4:52 AM

Post #6435441

Puppieskitties - my ranunculus have been blooming for the last three weeks, but I finally got around to cutting them for an arrangement. Here it is day one. Will keep you posted as to how they do.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Click the image for an enlarged view.

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

April 20, 2009
6:09 PM

Post #6437542

Beeeeeeeeeutiful, but check that stem Dianne doesn't look like it is in the water???
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 20, 2009
8:47 PM

Post #6438286

Hi Candee - good eyes. I noticed that after I posted the photo and pushed it back in. Do you know if ranunculus produce viable seeds? I normally just cut the dead blooms off.
haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2009
10:26 PM

Post #6444141

I am for sure the wrong person to address any ranunculus questions, I have never gotten one to last more than a few days in the fresh pot!
soilsandup
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2009
6:41 AM

Post #6455608

Puppieskitties - hope you are still keeping watch on this Thread LoL

This photo is for you - these flowers have been in the vase for almost 5 days. Some do look a little worn, and a few have wilted stems. However, there are many with fairly straight stalks, especially the red and the salmon ones. With some removal out of the bad ones, and recutting a few, I may be able to get away with an arrangement in a smaller vase for one more day. So, it looks like some varieties are sturdier than others, but 4 days is not a bad track record for a cut flower. I hope that all my patches will come back next year.

Thumbnail by soilsandup
Click the image for an enlarged view.

haighr
Hagerstown, MD
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2009
3:29 PM

Post #6474735

Oh so pretty, oh so pretty oh so pretty and witty and wise, comes to mind when I see those vibrant colors, a real cheery arrangement Dianne.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Cut Flowers and Floral Design Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Cut Flowers and Floral Design Forum dave 40 Apr 24, 2008 2:40 PM
Starting us off Wvdaisy 36 Apr 24, 2007 9:24 PM
My Tropical displays. celt33040 8 Apr 23, 2007 12:26 PM
Articles and tips about processing cut flowers.... gemini_sage 23 Aug 7, 2012 4:11 AM
Vases Lenjo 83 Jul 31, 2008 2:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America