Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Seed Germination: Germinating buddleia davidii and butterfly weed in zone 10

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 8, Views: 132
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
khabbab
lahore
Pakistan
(Zone 10b)

March 4, 2009
12:18 PM

Post #6219555

Hello,
kindly tell me how and when to sow seeds for buddleia davidii and butterfly weed (asclepias tuberosa) for zone 10. Spring has just started here. I am not an expert and i do not know how to judge soil temperature, although weather temp is around 26c here and will get warmer as the time passes.

kindly also tell me how to sow seeds for phaseolus caracalla and bauhinia climber.

i have successfully germinated seeds of annual gaillardia in pots, by just scattering the seeds over ordinary soil and covering the seeds with peat moss. they have just sprouted yesterday, is the procedure same for annuals and perennials mentioned above?.

thanks,
Khabbab

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

March 4, 2009
7:57 PM

Post #6221285

Hi:
Buddleia davidii is easy to sow. I sow the seeds in fine seeding mix, cover lightly. Grow at 68F degrees. They should germinate in15 to 60 days. Usually it more like 15 days.

Asclepias tuberosa isn't as easy. They need stratification (cold treatment). My method is to use kitchen paper towel method:

Cut a paper towel in half. Wet it, then squeeze out excess. Open it and fold in half and place seeds in one corner. Fold the napkin over the seeds twice until you have a square. Place in ziplock baggie. Zip the top, leaving an opening to blow air in to create a balloon. Quickly close the bag. If the bag don't hold the air, open and rezip again. Sometimes these bags don't zip easily if the runners don't match. Once done, place the baggie in the refrigerator for 3 weeks. After that time, take it out and place the bagggies where it is warm. Often the top of a refrigerator is warm.

Check on the seeds every 2 days or so. As soon as you see radicals (tiny roots) emerging, sow the seeds in little pots or seed flats 1/16" deep. Make sure the root points downwards. I place the seed level with the soil, roots pointed down, then lightly cover with soil. I use a pair of tweezers to pick up the seed with. When you see growth break the soil, give them light.

I sow all my perennial seeds that can be finger held this way with more germination than straight into soil. Also I don't oversow. Tiny seeds can be mixed in fine peatmoss, moistened than place in the baggie.

Not all perennials need stratification so don't need to be placed in the refrigerator.

My butterfly weed seeds are still in my frig, so no photo. However, I am posting a photo of Hibiscus mosch. These sprouted in 2 days with the moist paper treatment. The seeds were nicked first, then soaked overnight in hand hot water. You can see the tiny radicals. I planted these shortly after the photo was taken.

Thumbnail by blomma
Click the image for an enlarged view.

khabbab
lahore
Pakistan
(Zone 10b)

March 9, 2009
3:54 AM

Post #6240753

hmmm, i am not sure i will be successful in baggie method or not. i also got seeds of tropical milkweed i.e. asclepias curassavica, is it also difficult to germinate?.

and what about bauhinia yunnanensis and phaseolus caracalla, should i sow them right now just like i germinated gaillardia above?.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

March 10, 2009
12:54 AM

Post #6244767

Hi: If you are undecided about the baggie method, why not just try it with a few seeds.

Since I live in zone 4, Wyoming, I am not familiar with tropical plants. I did sprout Asclepia incarnata (Swamp Weed) and A. tuberosa with the baggie method. Both these varieties needs to be stratified in the refrigerator before sowing. Tropical plants usually don't. They need warmth to sprout.

Any seed that can be hand held can be sown using the baggie method. Seeds that have a hard coating needs to be nicked to allow moisture to penetrate, then soaked overnight in hand hot water. After soaking, place in baggie, or soil. This is why the Buddlei sprouted so quickly.
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 10, 2009
1:04 AM

Post #6244818

when I sow seeds outside and I dont want to loose them I use the bell, find a place without the hot afternoon sun fix the soil plant the seeds and use a large plastic pop bottle cut the bottom off and leave the cap off and push it into the grown so it will protect the seeds and it makes a mini green house to start up plants, your temp is perfect for that now and when the plant is established you can remove it and if you start a few plants in it you can more them when the time is right

mona
khabbab
lahore
Pakistan
(Zone 10b)

March 16, 2009
4:27 AM

Post #6273846

can i direct sow all the above mentioned seeds?
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 16, 2009
3:42 PM

Post #6275235

all seeds can be directly sowed but with very tiny seeds you need to protected then since most of them are sown on the surface and birds then to eat them so I would use a net or a dome to keep the birds away
CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 16, 2009
11:53 PM

Post #6277484

If you have a bunch of seeds you can just surface sow them. Buddleia davidii and butterfly weed (asclepias tuberosa) are easy for me to germinate. I do most of my seeds in plastic bags to speed up germination, it works well and is easy for most people. If you're going to sown the seeds outside you might want to soak them over night in water then sow the next day. Should speed them up.

This message was edited Mar 16, 2009 11:34 PM
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

March 17, 2009
2:45 AM

Post #6278447

I usually just plant them just before its going to rain and that helps

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America