Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Greenhouse: Which way to face the doors?

Communities > Forums > Greenhouse
bookmark
Forum: GreenhouseReplies: 4, Views: 89
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2009
10:22 PM

Post #6221757

We are starting this weekend to put up the new greenhouse. I have a choice of West or North to put the doors. To the West is a maple tree that will shade it in the summer from the sun, but I have plenty of room on the slab for an entry way. To the North, the yard starts right away and slopes down a bit, so I would be stepping right out on to the grass, there are no trees or bushes. Our winter wind is from the N/NW. I do hope to use it in the winter.

Any thoughts on which would be best? Thanks! Cathy
gthumbus
Gentry, AR

March 4, 2009
11:01 PM

Post #6221975

i would put the door on the west side this will keep that northern wind from creeping in when you open the door. and you could insulate the north wall to help with the heating "imo". "whitebear"
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2009
2:00 AM

Post #6222837

Besides the cold wind factor, I would also consider ease of getting plants in/out--if on the one side it starts into the yard right away and it's on a slight slope that might make it harder for you to get plants in and out that way (of course if you're planning to put things in and leave them in then it doesn't matter...for me I take my stuff out every spring and put it back in again in late fall so ease of moving things in and out is a big deal)
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2009
2:20 AM

Post #6222926

Well, I finally read through the directions and it says not to have the doors where the wind hits, so that decides it. DH wanted it facing the yard, I wanted facing the house, so if this was a contest, I won, lol. Wow, there are a lot of parts, I hope we can do this.

gthumbus
Gentry, AR

March 5, 2009
2:25 AM

Post #6222946

you can do it. good luck cathy4. "whitebear"

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Greenhouse Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Online sources for greenhouse film? Terry 11 Oct 31, 2012 5:55 PM
Old Tomcat Sprays My Greenhouse Weezingreens 24 May 22, 2009 5:37 PM
Early 1900s Wm. H. Lutton Glasshouse Jersey City, NJ Abutilon 50 Jan 22, 2009 3:55 AM
Best greenhouse for the money JimKennard 90 Sep 22, 2012 8:54 PM
Santa Barbara Greenhouses? mysticwill 8 May 4, 2009 3:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America