Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Aloe mite: The hidden scourge of the Mediterranean succulent garden: Scary!

Communities > Forums > Article: Aloe mite: The hidden scourge of the Mediterranean succulent garden
bookmark
Forum: Article: Aloe mite: The hidden scourge of the Mediterranean succulent gardenReplies: 3, Views: 48
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2009
3:28 AM

Post #6223228

What a nasty little bug! I don't have those, but I'm glad you put the pictures up. Our purple coneflowers were similarly deformed last year, so perhaps they had some sort of mite.
That's interesting that the aloes start suckering from it--is that a self-preservation thing? It "knows" it's in danger of dying, so it duplicates itself?

palmbob

palmbob
Acton, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 5, 2009
3:50 AM

Post #6223323

The suckering I am sure is due to damage of the meristem, not a defense behavior. A lot of plants that get damaged meristems (growing centers) start to abnormally sucker at that site (palms, cycads, Agaves, etc. do this frequently)
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 5, 2009
4:31 AM

Post #6223483

Interesting, thanks! I always learn a lot from you.
nvenice
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 10a)

March 9, 2009
2:24 PM

Post #6241993

Have you tried spraying your succulents with aerated compost tea? There is some excellent research which indicates that by restoring the healthy microbiology to both the soil & the leaves, the natural food chain will kick back in and the natural predators of the mites will be restored. They have even been able to eliminate Oak Root Fungus from infected trees with this method. It's a program which must be followed, rather than a quick fix. Check out soilfoodweb.com for more information. Good luck!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Aloe mite: The hidden scourge of the Mediterranean succulent garden Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great article soive2000 2 Mar 10, 2009 1:53 AM
Aloe Cancer Article fc_upland 1 Mar 10, 2009 12:29 PM
Aloe mites.... YodieCoyote 6 Mar 12, 2010 7:51 PM
Is this an aloe cancer growth? juper 7 May 3, 2010 7:58 PM
Aloe mite greentoo 0 Apr 26, 2010 8:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America