Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Problem With One Chicken

Deering, NH(Zone 5a)

Hey all,
I have a problem with one of my chickens. Her crown on top of her head is bleeding. What should I do. I've never had this problem before. Please help?

Williamsburg, MI(Zone 4b)

Do you mean her comb, or is she a crested breed? If it is her comb and it is not bleeding badly, she probably got pecked on the head or bumped it. If you feel the need to do something, put a little antibiotic like neosporin on it. If it is bleeding badly use a styptic pencil or even a little flour, seperate her out for a day to let it start healing and then put her back in place. Watch the other chickens to see if she is being picked on.

She should be fine.

Deering, NH(Zone 5a)

It stopped bleeding. I tried to wipe it somewhat clean. I also cleaned the nestting box that had blood all over it. I'm keeping a close eye on her. She's I believe one of my good chickens who lays on the eggs besides laying them.

Clarksburg, MO

Might have been a quarrel over nesting box space or you might also want to check the nesting boxes to see if there are amy exposed nail or screw tip that she might have snagged it on.

Sheila

Deering, NH(Zone 5a)

Hi Sheila, nothing exposed. I'm figuring it had to do with another chicken. She's doing ok now. In fact she just laid me an egg.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

That was a nice thank-you for cleaning her up!

Williamsburg, MI(Zone 4b)

Whenever a chicken jets even the smallest injury to their comb, they shake their head and throw blood all over the place. It always looks worse than it is. I went out once and thought one of my chickens must surely be dead from blood loos, the coop looked like the chainsaw massecre. I finially found one floppy combed bird with the tim of a peak torn. She wasn't bothered half as much as I was!

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

They must have alot of capillaries in their combs; just as people do in their scalps.

Deering, NH(Zone 5a)

Well this morning her comb was basically healed. She has scabs on it. She's doing just fine. Which makes me feel better.

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Yes, ever now and then my chickens, hens and roos alike, get a little blood on the combs or waddles. The roos often on the waddles. They usually heal well on there own. I am glad your girl is fine.

Deering, NH(Zone 5a)

Hi All, When I was checking my chickens yesterday I notice that one of them has a really bare right breast and her stomach area is really bare. Both spots are so bare that they are reddish pink. No feathers at all. She's still laying eggs, I know because I got one right after she laid it. I'm not sure what to do about her bare ness. Any ideas?

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

She may have plucked them herself. My fathers barred rocks always do. I am not sure why. Do you think she did it or the others? Are the others picking at her? You could apply some of that no pick stuff I hear people use on here. You can get it at the Tractor Supply. No blood? hmmm

Deering, NH(Zone 5a)

Nope, no blood. I'm keeping my eyes on her. She's a good chicken and I really don't want anything happening to her. One of those chickens who lays on her eggs. I like those kind of chickens.

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

Me too. Ithink its early to be a molt. I hope all is okay with her.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Don't they do that to feather their nests? If she's broody, she's probably doing the equivalent of our making baby blankies.

Elbridge, NY(Zone 5a)

:D Ught oh! BABIES.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.