Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Lessons of the Bradford Pear: Great job!

Communities > Forums > Article: Lessons of the Bradford Pear
bookmark
Forum: Article: Lessons of the Bradford PearReplies: 1, Views: 22
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

March 5, 2009
3:58 PM

Post #6224753

Marie, you are certainly a pro when it comes to gardening, your credentials prove it! I appreciate your article and opinions. I planted 4 Bradfords and when I learned of it's negative review from DGers I was sure to rip them out!!!!!! DG saved me years of heartache in tending such a weak and invasive tree.

Hoping your article will educate someone else who may not have considered the negatives when tree hunting. Pretty or not, all trees are not created equal.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2009
4:52 PM

Post #6225005

Bradford Pears aren't really a problem in New Mexico probably due to our dry climate, but I gather they are awful in the wetter parts of the country. But we have our scourges, too -- expecially Siberian (much worse than Chinese) elm, Salt Cedar, and Russian Olive to name a few.
Still, I would much rather plant a fruiting pear than a Bradford. Fruiting pears are almost as beautiful in blossom, produce fruit, and live a very long time.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Lessons of the Bradford Pear Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Exotic can be chaotic LLMac 0 Mar 5, 2009 1:20 PM
Agree 100% DitchLily206 4 Mar 7, 2011 8:04 AM
Bradfords and Ice melody 17 Mar 26, 2013 8:30 AM
Thank you! quiltjean 0 Mar 9, 2009 1:53 PM
Didn't know this when we "inherited" one kmm44 1 Mar 7, 2011 7:19 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America