Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beekeeping: Honey Extraction for the small scale bee keeper

Communities > Forums > Beekeeping
bookmark
Forum: BeekeepingReplies: 13, Views: 198
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
seamusandclare
Charleston, WV

March 5, 2009
8:04 PM

Post #6225720

Interested to know what experiences people have had with different systems and where they are at now.
Crush and Cut ?
Cut Comb ? anyone tried the bee o pac or Ross Rounds ?
Extractors - home made, good makes of equipment ? What size are you using and what number of hives do you have ?
What are you doing with your wax, solar melter ?
Thanks, Chris.
gone2seed
Milton, FL
(Zone 8a)

March 5, 2009
8:10 PM

Post #6225742

Years ago,when I got my first hive,I made a press from two boards hinged together at one end.The boards were cut from 1 x 8's and were made like a paddle.I laid a medium frame on one of the boards and cut around the inside.Remove the wooden frame and press the two boards together.It is a LOT more work than an extractor but it does work.
edited to add...I still use the solar wax melter.They are easy to put together and work as well as anything.In my climate there is always plenty of sunshine.

This message was edited Mar 5, 2009 2:13 PM
jylgaskin
Williamsburg, MI
(Zone 4b)

March 17, 2009
4:01 AM

Post #6278805

I cut the caps off with a big bread knife and then scraped the honey out with a rubber spatula. It was messy and sticky but worked for the one hive that we harvested. I was amazed how fast the bees cleaned the frames when we put them back in.

Both my hives made it through the winter strong and are all over the place this week with the sunshine. I'm making maple syrup in the back yard and have to keep them out of the sap.
thehines
Franklin, KY

March 17, 2009
7:22 PM

Post #6281285

I saw this post and have tried it out. I will take some picture next time I rob the hive. I use mason jars into a largefilter then into a larger glass jar.

http://www.backyardhive.com/Caring_For_Bees_in_a_Top_Bar_Hive/Hive_Management/A_Simple_Harvest/
seamusandclare
Charleston, WV

March 18, 2009
2:12 PM

Post #6284599

The backyard hive link is great, it has some great pictures to guide you through the process. I also thought the hives they sell are rather stimulating. I also liked the idea of foundationless frames. Thanks, Chris.
D_AustinTX
Bastrop, TX

March 30, 2009
4:04 PM

Post #6340402

New to Dave's and found the interesting. I like the extractor. Also new to bee's. I spend summer months in WV where I have bees. I was wondering how you all catch a swarm. Any hints...TY
jylgaskin
Williamsburg, MI
(Zone 4b)

March 30, 2009
9:35 PM

Post #6341691

First make sure the swarm is Honey Bees! Google honey bee swarms and there are a few great videos with instructions.
marriell
Hudsonville, MI

April 5, 2009
11:07 PM

Post #6369111

Hi Chris,

I ended up making my own extractor this winter out of a 55 gallon drum, two bicylce wheels and attaching an old electric motor. It will extract 9 medium frames radially and works great. I can take some pictures of it if you are interested. This was my first year beekeeping, started with 2 packages and went into winter with five hives, but only one has survived the Michigan winter. I was saving some frames for the spring to feed the bee's, but since they didn't make it I extracted over 20lbs of honey. The one that survived was in my porch with a tube going outside, not recommended by many beekeepers but it seemed to keep this hive alive. I use it occasionaly for stinging myself for a bad back and elbow.

If Jylgaskin has any recommedations on how to overwinter hives in MI, it would be greatly appreciated. All my hives had several frames of honey left (20 - 40lbs each), but they still didn't make it.
jylgaskin
Williamsburg, MI
(Zone 4b)

April 6, 2009
3:47 AM

Post #6370332

Both mine made it through fine. I built a box a bit bigger than the hive out of blue board and set it over the hive. There was an opening that lined up with the entrance to the hive. It was just enough to insulate them and we had some 20 below nights. I left my hives with a few extra frames of honey and reduced the overal size of the hive as much as possible by removing all but the hive bodies and one super.

Mine also got some maple syrup this spring, but I don't know if that did anything special.

We did loose one hive of three last winter, but it had no queen anyway.
marriell
Hudsonville, MI

April 6, 2009
10:10 PM

Post #6374045

Is that the blue styrofoam? What did you do for ventilation when putting the blue board around the hives? I have screen bottom boards, but covered them up for the winter. I wish I would have decreased the size of the hive boxes as well.

Go to mdasplitter.com and read Mel's viewpoint on hive splits and breaking the mite cycle. He helped me last year and I am going to a class that he is putting on this spring. I'm not sure if I did things wrong with what he recommends or if part of it has to deal with the genetics of the bee's.
jylgaskin
Williamsburg, MI
(Zone 4b)

April 8, 2009
1:22 AM

Post #6379973

I just put the styrofoam blue board together with duct tape. There was at least a 2 inch airspace all around the hive and set it over the hive. My hives have solid bottoms, but sit on wooden pallets, so there was some ventelation there too. I took the boxes off as soon as we had a few warm days so the sun could warm the hives. It must have worked out as every warm day since my crocus have been loaded with bees. I put out a few dishes of grape jelly (I somehow ended up with lots of grape jelly this year) and they have been all over that.
seamusandclare
Charleston, WV

April 24, 2009
2:26 AM

Post #6454973

Thank you Marriel for posting about your homemade extractor. It might be something I might do myself. Chris.
marriell
Hudsonville, MI

April 24, 2009
10:14 PM

Post #6458688

Here is a picture of the inside, it will extract 9 medium frames at a time. Used a 55 gallon drum and and two bicycle rims, cut the spokes out of the top rim after welding three braces and then put clips on where the spokes lined up with the bottom. Made it much easier to load the frames without the spokes in the way on top. Also tacked a wire around the bottom rim to hold the the frames.

Thumbnail by marriell
Click the image for an enlarged view.

marriell
Hudsonville, MI

April 24, 2009
10:19 PM

Post #6458700

Here is the outside with the motor attached. You have to play around with the pulleys to get the speed down to around 300 rpms.

Thumbnail by marriell
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America