Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Seed Starting 101: Growing Peppers from Seed: Can you use store-bought pepper seeds?

Communities > Forums > Article: Seed Starting 101: Growing Peppers from Seed
bookmark
Forum: Article: Seed Starting 101: Growing Peppers from SeedReplies: 5, Views: 38
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
robcorreia
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 5, 2009
10:33 PM

Post #6226374

Perfect timing! We had bell peppers for dinner last night and my son asked "why don't we plant these seeds"? Will they germinate? Should I do something to them before sowing (like drying, etc)?
Thanks!
Rob
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 5, 2009
10:54 PM

Post #6226460

Green bell peppers don't have mature seeds. Red ones might, but store bought ones were probably hybrid peppers... so you may get something, but it won't necessarily be the same (second generation seeds of hybrid plants don't come "true").

robcorreia
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 6, 2009
5:44 PM

Post #6229683

Thanks! It was a red one. But the seeds are white...does that mean they're not ripe?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 6, 2009
5:51 PM

Post #6229721

Pepper seeds are white (maybe more like cream). There's no way to know for certain if they were mature when the pepper was harvested other than by trying to germinate them... You might try the baggie method I mentioned; it's what I do when I'm unsure about germination.

However, as I said, that pepper was almost certainly a hybrid, so the seeds won't grow out to produce the same kind of pepper (it might be close, might be quite different).

I'd say that if you want to grow peppers, you should go to the seed rack and pick up a pack of California Wonder (not a hybrid, so you can save seeds) or a pack of a hybrid variety. Cal Wonder can be eaten green or you can let it ripen to red (true of any "green" pepper variety).

Good luck!
robcorreia
San Diego, CA
(Zone 10b)

March 6, 2009
6:36 PM

Post #6229903

Sounds good. Thanks again! : )
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

March 6, 2009
7:31 PM

Post #6230158

Hope you and your son have fun growing some peppers this year!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Seed Starting 101: Growing Peppers from Seed Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
great tutorial kathy65468 10 Nov 23, 2009 7:51 PM
Is it worth it to sow peppers outdoors? PuddlePirate 1 Mar 5, 2009 6:39 AM
So useful! adinamiti 1 Mar 5, 2009 3:08 PM
LOL - Hey I've got an article on that! aspenhill 1 Mar 5, 2009 3:45 PM
Thanks! Started my seeds a couple... jeffinsgf 5 Mar 5, 2009 8:10 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America