Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Greenhouse: Bubble Wrap the Greenhouse for Insulation

Communities > Forums > Greenhouse
bookmark
Forum: GreenhouseReplies: 224, Views: 3,781
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 6, 2009
4:06 PM

Post #6229245

I've looked on the internet and there are a number of people in cold climates that put a layer of bubble wrap on the inside (not to damage the UV protective exterior coating) of the greenhouse. Anyone have any pointers or advice. I'm going to pick up a roll of 1" bubble. Thought the bigger the bubble the better?

What's your experience? The greenhouse got down to 7C/45F last night with the low of -20C/ -4F. Sunday thru Tuesday morning doesn't look good and I jumped the gun with putting 12 flats of 72 cell trays out there. They (seedlings) look fine, but the next few days may mean doom. There is a chance that we may get down to -30C/-22F Monday night. Don't think the propane heater will provide enough heat in that temp. 12'X8' greenhouse. 9000 BTU propane heater
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 7, 2009
12:52 AM

Post #6231175

Have no experience with this, but this is what it looks like so far. Need to do the top, but I need to figure out how I will secure it so it doesn't fall

Thumbnail by joannabanana
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ice_worm
Palmer, AK
(Zone 2a)

March 7, 2009
1:36 AM

Post #6231382

Looks good! For the top, could you just go straight across and have a flat ceiling? (Resting on wire or string if it sags too much). Just an idea. I'm not really good at that type of thing. (Obviously).

Have you noticed a difference in the temperature yet?

Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 7, 2009
2:06 AM

Post #6231502

I don't have any answers for you, Joanna, but I'm hoping you post your results, I'd love to hear your experience.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

March 7, 2009
2:08 AM

Post #6231513

I'm anxious to hear your results, too, as I hope to get through the winter next year. Are you using any solar water heating?

beclu727

beclu727
Dacula, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 7, 2009
7:39 PM

Post #6234368

I have used the 1 inch bubble wrap on the inside of my small greenhouse (6x8) for 2 years now. I have a small space heater in the GH and even when the outside temp is in the 20s it stays in the low 50s inside. Before adding the bubble wrap, the heater couldn't keep up and the temp would drop to low 40s,sometimes high 30s. Yours looks about what mine does. Its hard to keep the BW in place. I'll need to replace mine for this coming winter as the humidity has it all mildewed.

Thumbnail by beclu727

Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 7, 2009
8:07 PM

Post #6234448

A little off topic... OK, a lot, but I'm wondering what you're using to mark your ID tags. I got the special magic pen and it writes way to thick to read. The sharpie works nice, but the ink fades.

Hope your little greenies make it...
Jay
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 7, 2009
9:14 PM

Post #6234674

I got one marker that is called a Nursery Marking Pen by The John Henry Company. Says it is Permanent, Waterproof & Non Smear. The other is a paint pen from a craft store that also works great.
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 7, 2009
11:12 PM

Post #6235143

Thanks, I'll look into it. =0)
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 8, 2009
12:13 AM

Post #6235362

Jayryunen, the paint marker brand is DecoColor extra fine opaque black

Well, here's how it turned out. The extreme cold air is due to arrive tomorrow & stay until Wednesday. So far it is a huge difference with heat retention.

cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

March 8, 2009
12:21 AM

Post #6235391

Joanna, Are your greenhouse walls double glazed or single?
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 8, 2009
12:39 AM

Post #6235495

This is what I have from Costco
http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10313107&search=easygrow0223&Sp=S&Ne=4000000&Mo=1&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&N=0&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&whse=BCCA&D=easygrow0223&Ntt=easygrow0223&forcelang=en-CA&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

March 8, 2009
1:10 AM

Post #6235621

Very nice, and a good price. It has the double pane, that is what I bought, too. I'm hoping to be able to keep mine warm enough to use year round.
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2009
2:37 PM

Post #6237384

I bought a 4'x96' roll of large BW and taped and stapled it to my walls, and built wood frames for the roof , don't have any temp readings.
I do have 3, 55 gal barrels that collect heat in the day, I get about 15 change from 5pm to 10am, so they are working.
As for plant markers, I found an aluminum, 1" wide window shade, cut it into 6" markers and use a black marker outside but inside I mark with a pencil and cover with tape, then I can reuse them.

SIDE

Thumbnail by rentman

rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2009
2:38 PM

Post #6237389

Thumbnail by rentman

rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2009
2:39 PM

Post #6237393

Thumbnail by rentman

Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 8, 2009
4:28 PM

Post #6237778

I'm sorry, Rentman - do you mean the water barrels are working for you, the bubble wrap or the combo? Fifteen degrees isn't bad at all - it would sure help me.
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2009
5:05 PM

Post #6237885

I got the Fifteen degrees from the barrels before I had all the bubble wrap up,
so I'm not sure.
The barrels were free from a print shop, had ink in them so I will not use them for water.
I have my peppers, tomatoes, lettuce (for the rabbits, and their poo for the garden) some flowers are all up, waiting for the herbs to show.

Thumbnail by rentman

Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 8, 2009
5:24 PM

Post #6237959

Nice! =0)
ice_worm
Palmer, AK
(Zone 2a)

March 8, 2009
5:33 PM

Post #6237999

Love the pictures, Rentman. It looks like you cut each BW roof panel separately. Very neat job.

Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 8, 2009
5:49 PM

Post #6238048

Is that you, Rentman? You look like you are concentrating on those sprouts: "grow, grow, grow, grow..."

Did you paint your barrels black?
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2009
6:04 PM

Post #6238111

You gota talk to them don't you ? ? ^_^
The barrels are black soo...here a pic.

Thumbnail by rentman

Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 8, 2009
6:15 PM

Post #6238160

Gotcha - thanks for answering my questions, I appreciate it!
AZgrammie
North of Heber, AZ
(Zone 6b)

March 8, 2009
7:00 PM

Post #6238359

My 6x8 greenhouse is made of corrugated polycarbonate sheets from HD, lined with bubble wrap from Staples (free delivery). The frame is steel, from a DIY camper an old-timer was trying to make but he passed away. My son brought the frame out to me and helped me turn it into a nifty little gh. The north side & north slope of the roof are plywood, insulated with rigid foam. Because the frame is metal, I couldn't use tacks or nails to secure the bubble wrap, so used clear packaging tape and duct tape. The duct tape came off after about 5 weeks, but the clear tape is still holding. I bought a roll of super heat/cold resistant duct tape and have used that but also bought rolls of clear tape in case the h/c duct tape doesn't hold. Anyway, I started out using a 12Vdc auto blanket (connected to old solar panels & batteries) but the blanket died! I have been filling milk & fruit juice bottles with water and so far it seems to be working perfectly even without the blanket. We have had temps down to 10 or 15 outside but inside the gh, it hasn't been below 45. This is since about mid January, when the gh was completed. I have my geraniums out there, a dwarf fig tree, and two grow-tubs with lettuce (big enough to start picking now) and some tomatoes that will be big enough to set out in the garden in a month or so. I am delighted with the whole thing. I guess the combination of the bubble wrap and the water bottles are doing their job.

Thumbnail by AZgrammie

rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2009
7:29 PM

Post #6238469

grammie, you and I are on the same page, I bought the shelf from an auction for $47, sold 1/4 of them for $95 and have many more left to use, sell.
My GH was 6x8 and this fall my son in law helped me extend it 16' (can't have enough room) with 2x4's from another auction.
I used old wood windows picked out of trash piles for the sides.
The roof is the corrugated polycarbonate sheets as yours. I have gravel on the floor.
I don't get the heat exchange from my barrels as you do but they help.
Last year I grew 60 tomatoes plants to transplant to the garden in the little 6x8 house.
This year not so many.

Thumbnail by rentman

Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 8, 2009
9:07 PM

Post #6238934

AZ... am I seeing this right... you've got the shelving sitting right on top of the bottles, so they are supporting it?

I love the resourcefulness these GH show. Very inspirational! No if the wind would just quit so I could start with mine! ;)

Jay
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

March 8, 2009
10:42 PM

Post #6239379

I use white buckets with water in them for my shelves. They have lids so I don't get mosquitos breeding.
AZgrammie
North of Heber, AZ
(Zone 6b)

March 8, 2009
11:09 PM

Post #6239564

Yes, Jay, that's right. Works for me! The bottom layer of bottles are on a shelf placed on the steel frame of my former BBQ! Since I took that picture, I have added probably another 60 gallon bottles and now have them almost everywhere. According to the books, I should have 200 gallons for a 6x8 greenhouse. Rentman, I know my greenhouse looks like "Loving Hands from Home" compared to yours and so many others on this forum! I had been saving old discarded windows, too, but when I got that steel frame I decided to spring for the new polycarbonate. The plywood & styrofoam & roofing materials, and 8x8x16 concrete blocks for the stemwall, are all leftovers from other projects. I figure I have about $200 in new store-bought materials. The door is from my former tack room but with poly and bubblewrap on it instead of whatever I built the door out of. I took a solar greenhouse design & construction class 2 weeks ago, and the only thing I have not done according to what I learned in the class, is to insulate the outside of the stemwall but I figure the worst of the winter is past so I will get it done this summer for next year. The floor is dirt & flagstone so when I water I don't have to worry about where the drips go. Here's a picture of the south wall. Plants are bigger now! BTW, it gets VERY hot inside in the daytime unless I open the window. I won't be using it in the summer. The wife of the teacher of the class uses her greenhouse to dry peaches & apricots in in the summer!

Thumbnail by AZgrammie

rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2009
12:11 AM

Post #6239802

"The plywood & styrofoam & roofing materials, and 8x8x16 concrete blocks for the stemwall, are all leftovers from other projects."

I love it...that's the way to go
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 9, 2009
2:04 AM

Post #6240281

That's terrific, Grammie - nothing like using what you have on hand. Great job!
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 9, 2009
4:03 AM

Post #6240782

Well so far so good. The cold weather has arrived and the next few nights are going to be very cold. Right now it's minus 20C, which is minus 4F and the greenhouse inside temp is 12C/54F. I put a couple of bedspreads on top & that seems to really help keep the heat in. My concern is Monday & Tuesday nights. -30C or -22F. The sun really heats the greenhouse up, but a soon as it's dark, it is very cold. It is a bit unusual to have this cold temps this time of year, but the entire winter season has been a little whacky. Cold & Snow cover since Dec. We didn't get the chinooks that we normally get.
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 9, 2009
1:22 PM

Post #6241712

Hoping it works for you, Joanna!
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 9, 2009
5:05 PM

Post #6242723

AZ... that's really cool, I'll have to start saving bottles! =0) I'm a leftover user, too.

Good luck with the temps, JoBa. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!
Jay
AZgrammie
North of Heber, AZ
(Zone 6b)

March 9, 2009
9:25 PM

Post #6243947

Brrrrrrr. Good luck, Joanna! Hope everything makes it okay. The bedspreads are a good idea if it isn't raining or snowing. If it is, maybe you could tuck them over the trays of plants? Not too close to the propane heater, though!

Lois
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 9, 2009
10:03 PM

Post #6244098

It's snowing, but bitterly cold. I left the bedspreads on...hopefully not too heavy with the snow. Tonight is going to be the coldest. I may run an extension cord & put a little ceramic heater at the other end. -30C is cold. Most of the plants have their 2nd & 3rd set of leaves, so it will be a shame if they don't make it.
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 11, 2009
3:56 PM

Post #6251576

Ugh, I hear you.

And here I'm worried about my cabbage/broccoli/cauliflower as the temps teeter on the edge of freezing the next couple of nights...
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 12, 2009
3:17 PM

Post #6256053

Everything worked out great. On the very cold nights I put some blankets on top & that really made a huge difference holding in the heat at night. took the blankets off after sunrise.

AZgrammie
North of Heber, AZ
(Zone 6b)

March 12, 2009
5:20 PM

Post #6256651

Jo, your gh looks neat! Glad the bedspreads worked out for you. Pagancat, I wanted to plant my cabbage/broccoli/cauliflower seeds in my gh, but don't have enough potting soil -- meanwhile, it is warming up here (temporarily, may still get some freezing) so I thought I'd go ahead and plant them outside in the Big Garden. One of my gardening books says they can handle a little freeze. Do you know for sure?
AZgrammie
North of Heber, AZ
(Zone 6b)

March 12, 2009
5:28 PM

Post #6256683

My Little Greenhouse is doing great but my plans to turn my former stable into a Big Greenhouse have hit a snag. My son (professional chef and expert carpenter) came over to help me strip off the exterior siding & roofing, but didn't think much of my carpentry skills. (I built the stable myself, 5 years ago, with a little help with the roof.) He says all the walls need to be reinforced before he will go up on the roof -- says we can't even strip off the old stuff until we get it stabilised. So now we are looking for used 4x4s on craig's list and so forth. Buying new would be too spendy. 8^(
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2009
6:05 PM

Post #6256874

Oh bummer... don't you just hate how one thing becomes another, then another, then another... darn near till you forgot where the whole thing started. And then one day you wake up wondering why you never finished X, Y, or Z.

Jay
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

March 12, 2009
6:15 PM

Post #6256934

I'm having a problem taking that leap of faith that I can start my cool season plants in the greenhouse, it just seems against nature this early. I need to get a good thermometer that marks coldest/warmest temps so I can see what is happening at night. We are still hitting below freezing, but then I see your GH surrounded by snow and think it must work. I'm going to have to pick up a propane heater, that will make the difference.
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 12, 2009
10:25 PM

Post #6257928

Grammie, our plants had to deal with temps that fell to 19 degrees a couple of weeks ago. We had them in a greenhouse that was huge and not airtight. Although we used some kerosene heaters in there, the leaves did get burned a tich, but the plants are currently doing great. There's some stuff you can do to help them out - water the evening before low temps, do what Joanna did and cover the roof with some kind of blanket. How many are you going to start? It might be worthwhile bringing 'em in for a night if it's going to be that cold...

Ugh, Jay, that's the story of my life...

Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 12, 2009
10:47 PM

Post #6258023

We are probably related. =0) Or go to the same church... Our Lady of General Confusion.
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 13, 2009
12:27 AM

Post #6258542

You TOO???

Well, actually, Our Lady of Perpetual Frustration gets a lot of visits, too...
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

March 13, 2009
12:36 AM

Post #6258594

Wonderful church names, I've attended both, too. Is there an Our Lady of why did I come in this room?
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 13, 2009
12:38 AM

Post #6258605

I thought that was "Hail Mary, why am I here?"
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

March 13, 2009
12:43 AM

Post #6258628

hahahaha, snort!
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 13, 2009
1:14 AM

Post #6258789

On the Equine Forum, instead of LOL, we use SOL -snort out loud!
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 13, 2009
1:56 AM

Post #6259026

Yeah, I'm the one facing the wrong way in the choir. =0) Always on the wrong page and showing up on the wrong day.

St. DayMinder, watch over me...

LOL
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

March 13, 2009
2:31 AM

Post #6259198

Last week I forgot to put stuff out on the porch for the charity truck coming by, last night I put it out for today but they aren't coming until tomorrow. Oh well. I love SOL.
AZgrammie
North of Heber, AZ
(Zone 6b)

March 13, 2009
3:52 PM

Post #6261159

Love those church & prayer names! And SOL!
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 20, 2009
3:44 PM

Post #6294946

Everything worked out great. Got thru the extreme cold snap and I don't think it would have been possible without the bubble wrap.

joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 20, 2009
3:45 PM

Post #6294956

I may have over did the seedsowing...started to transplant into larger seedling pots.

rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2009
3:54 PM

Post #6294984

Happy the bobble wrap worked for you, I love it.
You do have a lot of transplant, don't think I can count that high. ^_^
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2009
5:25 PM

Post #6295380

I've learned that I can't fill all my shelves with starts because they require twice the space once transplanted. oops, I'm in trouble.
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

March 20, 2009
6:16 PM

Post #6295587

I think I may make a shelf for a triple decker in the middle of the two sides that get the most sun.
AZgrammie
North of Heber, AZ
(Zone 6b)

March 21, 2009
6:46 PM

Post #6300023

My Big Greenhouse is still just in the "I wish" category, but I went down to Phoenix yesterday on other business and managed to come home with two dwarf citrus trees from two different Valley nurseries -- a pink grapefruit and a tangelo. If we don't get the Big Greenhouse finished by end of summer so I can plant them in the ground there, I will keep my new babies in their 5-gallon pots in the Little Greenhouse. I know I am taking a chance on keeping them alive over the summer, and possibly next winter as well, but I am so anxious to get started! They both have blossoms on them and smell so good.
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 22, 2009
12:52 AM

Post #6301366

Mmm - one of the few things I miss about Phoenix, those blooms are intoxicating.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 25, 2009
4:06 AM

Post #6315962

I so love reading about everyone adventures with their GH. I so want one so bad. I miss living in the south were we can get started on plants so much earlier. Up in northern Ohio it seems like it is June some times before it is safe...

SOL love this

Janet
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 25, 2009
1:05 PM

Post #6316738

We'll have everyone snorting soon, ha!

You have my sympathies, Janet - I was raised in So Michigan, and I don't think I could survive the length of the winter up there as much as the temps. It was okay as a kid, but as a gardener... nuh uh.
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 25, 2009
4:57 PM

Post #6317773

If Eliot Coleman can grow year round in Maine, you can too. Better get you a GH of some sort soon... even a quick and dirty of PVC and contractor's plastic will help relieve the blues!
AZgrammie
North of Heber, AZ
(Zone 6b)

March 26, 2009
9:44 PM

Post #6323870

Who is Elliott Coleman ? Year round in Maine? That's gotta take some doing!
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 26, 2009
11:56 PM

Post #6324420

He wrote "The New Organic Grower", "Four Season Harvest", and another on winter gardening. He points out, quite correctly, that most of the US has got plenty of sunshine during the fall and winter to grow things I think NM and AZ are the same latitude as North Africa), we just don't have a history of making use of it. He uses unheated, single plastic layer hoop houses in Maine and has crops year round.

Check him out, he knows what he's doing and it's not that hard once you get the GH and basic skills. =0)

Forget the supermarket.
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

March 27, 2009
1:29 AM

Post #6324814

Hmmph. I'd love to.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2009
3:02 AM

Post #6325203

jayryunen:

I went and check out his books. Off to the library to have them do an inter library loan if they don't have it on the shelves. Then if I like what I'm reading back to amazon to purchase it.

Thanks for the information.

Janet
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2009
4:15 AM

Post #6325513

Four Season Harvest , love it , check this site

http://www.fourseasonfarm.com/

Thumbnail by rentman

Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2009
2:41 PM

Post #6326866

Fantastic! Thanks, I've bookmarked it. =0)
goshute
Ely, NV

March 30, 2009
10:52 PM

Post #6342026

Well every one you are right about BW, Get it for free that is FREE, Used as a wrapping at our furniture store. Ask or bribe them not to cut and save.. Also check on the other coverings, I use the plastic to worm up the soil before tilling, They have a sort of spun cloth that I use as a floating cover over the garden in spring and fall.
My greenhouse was made using Quonset bows and the 2x4's from pallets. easy to hand staple the inside plastic cover to wood in winter.Now I use the BW. on the insides to 6' the rest (top) I use the thinest plastic film and staple through a 1"x1" piece of plastic (milk bottle?) Keeps the staple from cutting the BW/plastic.
This what I found, Flat poly sheeting works on the outside very well. The better plastic will last several years. I have had over 2' snow with no problems. Wind is bad on flat sides
In very cold country, think about going below ground with a curved roof.
For the floor I found used brick laid down with out mortar works best. easy to move and lets water out.also cools when wet in summer. Also a great heat sink. I have a blower that takes the hot air from the top of the GH and blows through a 4" pipe to a 4" drain pipe under my floor, three layer of brick. Floor never freezes.even after several days of hard freezing out side.and no heat other than the sun
A lot more but for now ,, Thanks for reading this
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 30, 2009
11:38 PM

Post #6342292

goshute, your my kind of man, I love to use throw aways.
Keep the ideas coming.
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2009
1:33 PM

Post #6344508

The furniture store... great idea! Thanks. =0)

beclu727

beclu727
Dacula, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 31, 2009
2:01 PM

Post #6344626

Goshute - do you have pictures you can post? Thanks for the furniture store idea. I need to replace mine this fall and was wondering if I could get some "recycled."
AZgrammie
North of Heber, AZ
(Zone 6b)

March 31, 2009
4:35 PM

Post #6345292

Progress report: Well, my clever trick of stacking milk bottles full of water with scrap plywood shelves on them, then putting my 5 gallon pots of geraniums & the dwarf fig on top, only worked for a couple of months. The bottom row of milk bottles have gradually squashed themselves, so I removed them (starting at the top, of course). The bottom layer now holds only juice bottles, which seem to be made of thicker plastic. I had enough to support the second row, but will have to collect more. The geraniums & fig tree are back on the top shelf. Don't know how long it will last, but by the end of April I should be able to remove everything from the little green house anyway. For next year, I will have to build some more substantial shelving!
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2009
4:40 PM

Post #6345307

You've got me saving my plastic jugs, AZ. =0) You're an inspiration.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

March 31, 2009
8:29 PM

Post #6346251

Are milk jugs better than the 5 gallon buckets I've been using? I got them free from the High School, seems the teenagers eat a LOT of pickles. I know they have been very sturdy for my shelves.
AZgrammie
North of Heber, AZ
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2009
3:56 PM

Post #6349716

Cathy, sounds like your 5 gallon pickle buckets are better! Wonder if our local high school has any that they just throw away? I'll have to check on that. The milk jugs I have been using are just the standard, flmsy ones from the grocery store.

Jay, I think _you_ are the inspiration! I think everybody who reads your posts gains a lot of information -- and I will bet that most people yearn after the lifestyle you have carved out for yourself. I know I do! Born & raised in a city, always lived in one city after another, raised three boys, but always wished I was back on Grandma's farm.
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

April 1, 2009
4:12 PM

Post #6349799

I certainly wasn't raised on a farm! LOL No way was my mom doing that; it was bad enough I loved horses.

Nope, I've just made it up as I go... bit by bit I've been piecing and adding and learning from others.

Just like you are...
=0) Jay
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 1, 2009
5:51 PM

Post #6350258

I'm just wondering if they absorb heat as well as the thinner plastic. I'm going to paint the side that faces the sun black after the summer, maybe that will help?
AZgrammie
North of Heber, AZ
(Zone 6b)

April 1, 2009
7:57 PM

Post #6350924

They probably will -- since the gh pros recommend using big old rain barrels, metal but nowadays plastic ones, and they also recommend painting the fronts black. And putting them at the rear of the greenhouse. My little bottles are just anyplace I had room to put them. I will probably continue to use them in the little greenhouse, but if/when we get the big one built will try to find big rain barrels.
leebauch
Miles City, MT
(Zone 3b)

April 3, 2009
4:56 PM

Post #6359535

I hope I am in the right spot for my question. Daytime temps here are ok in the GH, but nite time is a different story. I don't have access to bubble wrap, and no time for gathering gallon jugs for water warmth. Do you think if I used those emergency foil "blankets" that reflect light, they would maintain a little warmth for the overnite. I have so many seedling starts, I really need to put somewhere. Got carried away with seeds this year, figuring on being able to move to GH the 1st of April, however, the weather is not cooperating. Any ideas??
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

April 3, 2009
5:00 PM

Post #6359543

I would run an extension cord & run a little space heater
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2009
5:23 PM

Post #6359625

Before I installed a gas line for heat I used 2 (1500Watt) heaters to keep 'this' GH over 40 F.
I do have bubble wrap on the inside of all the glass.
I only use the emergency foil "blankets" for reflection off the lights.
This 16' addition was built this fall onto the 6x8' GH at the right.

Thumbnail by rentman

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 3, 2009
5:24 PM

Post #6359628

Learner here, but I was wondering about the white plastic? I've only been use to the regular plastic clear stuff. Most if not all of the GH up here in Northern Ohio have white then underneath is the clear.

Does the white aid in holding heat in?

Our garden club is about to be able to use some old run down GH and they too have the white plastic. We will need to replace the current plastic but if the white does do something please tell me.

This hoop house is 16w x 30-40L so I'm thinking it is going to cost a pretty penny to replace it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Janet
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2009
5:47 PM

Post #6359709

There is a big Nursery here, they have 6, 16' tall and 15, 8' tall hoop houses and they use the white plastic.
I have no expertise' with it, but if the pros use it , it must be the most efficient.
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 4, 2009
12:55 AM

Post #6361304

Huh... do they use the white stuff year 'round? Seems like it would reflect light instead of absorbing it, right?
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

April 4, 2009
8:44 AM

Post #6362451

I see it year round, in the summer they open both ends of the hoop house.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 4, 2009
7:38 PM

Post #6364144

Pagancat, that what I was thinking about it. Guess I'm going to have to stop at a nursery and ask about... Oh wait, I just meet a guy at my last gardening conference who own a nursery, I'll have to drop him an e-mail and ask about it.

I'll post his answer when I hear back from him.

Janet
Jayryunen
Sapello, NM
(Zone 5b)

April 5, 2009
8:39 PM

Post #6368413

meadow...
Is the plastic really white or is it more opaque? I just got a high tunnel with a woven fabric that is opaque... it lets light through, but it diffuses it more so there's less burning of leaves and the woven-ness of it cuts down on the dripping of condensation (I am told). It probably looks white from a distance, but it's not really.

I've also seen photos of orchid houses that block out the sun for some reason... I don't know enough about orchids, but everything was under lights in it.

Jay
bonniekelley
Rehoboth, MA

April 6, 2009
6:47 PM

Post #6373169

I love this forum. I experienced everything on this forum. I filled the shelves with seed starters with no place to go. Rather than cut down on seedstarting (why do I do this when I give plants away?) I moved my transplants into my sun room and when my husband told me to move them for Easter, I put up my old plastic greenhouse.

This year I overwintered more plants, and then I couldn't figure out where I was going to start my seeds. I moved my overwintered plants to my sun room (where they still are) and started my seeds in the green house. I am starting on my third seedstarting (I plant at 11 WBFD (weeks before frost date), 7 WBFD, and 4 WBFD and have started to transplant 7 WBFD plants. UGH!!!I This year my husband didn't want to put up the plastic greenhouse, so he built me a sunshed!

I am now going to move the overwintered plants to the sunshed, 11 WBFD transplants to the sunroom, 7 WBFD will live on greenhouse shelves, and 4 WBFD seedtrays go under the lights under my shelves. Do you think my husband will get mad when I want to put up the plastic greenhouse?

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN - My name is Bonnie and I am a gardening addict!!!

Thumbnail by bonniekelley

cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2009
6:54 PM

Post #6373203

Hi Bonnie! You have come to the right place for this addiction. I adore your sun shed, I looked to see if you lived close, haha.
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 6, 2009
7:14 PM

Post #6373281

i get my container from the cat litter 5 gallons square with lid i can stand on it when the lid is on or its upside down

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 6, 2009
7:21 PM

Post #6373322

Bonnie:

What a cute sunshed, wish I had one here.

Janet
AZgrammie
North of Heber, AZ
(Zone 6b)

April 7, 2009
1:29 AM

Post #6375101

Love your sunshed! Is it easy to keep warm?

Lois
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2009
2:23 AM

Post #6380274

I love those green houses
bonniekelley
Rehoboth, MA

April 8, 2009
4:07 PM

Post #6382216

Hi All,

Sorry for the delay in responding. I have been planting and transplanting for two days! The sunshed is beautiful and it was fairly inexpensive considering it is cedar, and it come with the floor and the benches. It also came in a kit with whole walls assembled. It only took one day to build, but it took almost a whole day to level as I put it in the edge of the woods.

There are some problems however. Nothing that can't be fixed, but it is going to cost money. The floor is 2" cedar boards and they have dried and left gaps. I am going to put some cedar plywood on the floor and then cover with bricks so that they will absorb the heat and distribute at night. The walls are overlapping cedar planks which are beautiful, but not insulating. I will put the cedar closet lining on the walls and I will put foam insulation inbetween.

Then it will be toasty. Right now, even though it is 45-55 during the day, the shed heats up to about 75 degrees; but the shed doesn't hold the heat and it is about five degrees warmer than the outside temperature at night.

My greenhouse is much more insulated. The cedar walls came insulated and the cedar shiplap is on the inside also! It has triple poly. The only winterizing I have to do is put plastic over the door. I can maintain the greenhouse temperature at 65 degrees even when it is below zero. I heat it with the wood stove in my family room with a corner door fan to pull the heat into the greenhouse.

Everyone is quite happy with this arrangement because it would get 80 degrees in the family just to keep the rest of the house warm. Now everyone is happy.

I told my husband I was cranky the other night and he told me to go to my greenhouse. That was a good one!!

Sorry so wordy, I haven't talked to anyone lately.

Thumbnail by bonniekelley

scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 8, 2009
4:43 PM

Post #6382369

no problem that is why we all come here right for a little advice, to show what we are doing planting growing building all to do with gardening and also a little company and chit chat

mona
mulchmania
Ennis, MT
(Zone 4a)

April 9, 2009
4:11 AM

Post #6385136

Just ran across this thread. I used to use bubble wrap until I got double pane windows and proper insulation in a section inside my hoop house I heat. You can buy uv treated bubble wrap from Charley's Greenhouse and it lasts for years. I still have some inside the hot frame but it is finally starting to shed little roundish circles of plastic from the bubbles, but it is several years old.
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2009
2:53 AM

Post #6406788

I am hoping to build a greenhouse by the fall so I will have it to start my plants next spring it is to much to have so many flats in the house and it is to dry so I have to water everything everyday so it to much work
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2009
2:56 AM

Post #6406799

Still lots of watering in the GH, I was surprised.
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2009
3:01 AM

Post #6406818

my house is so dry that it seems to suck it right out of the plants hahahah
larrycook
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 14, 2009
1:37 PM

Post #6408090

Plant tag Marking

Some one may have already posted some or all of this but use old plastic window shades, cut to size you want, and pencil.
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 14, 2009
3:57 PM

Post #6408730

Back to the original intent of the post for a sec... I got a catalog from Uline the other day - it's a packing supply company. They sell bubble wrap (with 3 different sizes of bubbles, lol) in rolls from about $25 to a couple hundred. I would be willing to bet they're nothing different in terms of construction than is sold elsewhere...
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 14, 2009
4:01 PM

Post #6408747

all I know is that the same idea is used in solar blankets for pools I am not sure if the dark blue color is to intensify the heat or just a decor but it sure works to heat my pool from freezing to 80F in about 10 days and its a large pool so I can grasp the concept of using is to insulate greenhouses
leebauch
Miles City, MT
(Zone 3b)

April 15, 2009
6:30 PM

Post #6414600

Guess what??? our weather is now about 35 daytime, and 30 or so at nite. Couldn't find any bubble wrap in our little tiny town, so I put a small room heater in the GH and IT DID work!!!! Kept the GH at 60 last nite when it supposedly got down below 30. It is 40 outside right now and the GH is 68. Maybe the little ones will still grow up to be biggies. (:-)
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

April 15, 2009
6:39 PM

Post #6414641

Hooray!
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 16, 2009
12:50 AM

Post #6416274

wow will have to look into some of these thing when I finally get around to building a greenhouse in the fall for next growing season

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2009
11:12 PM

Post #6420539

Pagancat

Would you care to share your source???

Scicciarella

Where did you purchase your blue bubbles from?

leebaunch

Glad to hear your temps are moving in a somewhat higher degree. Hopefully your little be grow to might talk and productive plants.

Janet
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2009
12:07 AM

Post #6420794

I got it from a pool supply company it came 20 by 40 for about 300 dollars its on my but when I replace it this one will go on my greenhouse
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 17, 2009
12:52 PM

Post #6423051

I got a free ,three sided greenhouse on Craigs List a coupla years ago and will put it up this year. It was a custom job that the new owner didn't want . We will replace the metal frame with treated lumber because the new owner took it down and wasn't too careful about bending the metal and keeping all the screws.I got the paperwork with it and it said the b.w. would have to be replaced every few years . The b.w. was glued on solid to each smooth panel and I'm wondering what kind of glue would work in a moist gh . Of course they didn't tell this in the manual. Any ideas ? digger
scicciarella
Mona in Metcalfe, ON
(Zone 5a)

April 17, 2009
2:50 PM

Post #6423553

well Home depot sell glue that is used with a culking gun and I use it for everything it dries clear and I just put it in and wiggle the pieces till it get hard to move them and I let it dry for two days and it never moves again its in the constuction material area I think its called super bond
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 17, 2009
11:51 PM

Post #6425734

LOL, meadowyck - it was in my post ; Uline. http://www.uline.com/

Unusual name, maybe why you missed it.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 18, 2009
2:33 AM

Post #6426407

pagancat, yes there it was just was reading too fast to really comprehend it all... thanks so much for taking the time to post it again.

Janet
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

April 19, 2009
1:10 AM

Post #6429959

No biggie - I do the same thing all the time.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 20, 2009
12:38 AM

Post #7188236

what do yall think about first one layer of plastic with a layer of bubble wrap then another outer layer of plastic?

I'm in a pretty cold zone and I don't really want to keep anything growing just in sleep mode till next spring. Potted plants large pots?

I've got hoop house framing that is 15 long and 8 foot center. I'm going to put two layers of solid cinder blocks to raise it up off the ground on the sides. I was going to do two layers with air in between (we did all the hoop houses in school like that which was good but we also had heaters. I'm not to the point (able of financial) of installing a heater for all winter use. So thought I would 1st layer plastic lay bubble wrap then second layer plastic with air included...

I would love to hear others thoughts on this.

Janet
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 20, 2009
1:53 AM

Post #7188550

I think you will still need a heat source.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2009
4:07 AM

Post #7188908

even if it is just for peace of mind.
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 20, 2009
5:33 AM

Post #7189057

Sounds like a good idea, Janet.
I have to monitor my GH , every day, we had first frost the 18th and yesterday and today the GH got to 100 before I opened the vents so the fans could vent.
I've been adding an entrance to my GH. I'll grow some vines up the sides and a couple of hanging pots to each side of the door.

Thumbnail by rentman

Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

October 20, 2009
2:23 PM

Post #7189735

I wouldn't put the bubble wrap in between, only because if you change your mind and don't want it there, it'll be tougher to get rid of than if you just tape it or velcro it to the inside of the frame. I'm just thinking your sun exposure may be cut by it. My opinion!
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 20, 2009
3:53 PM

Post #7189934

Sun exposure...yes. 1 inch bubbles is the best since it allows more light in than the smaller bubbles...more transparent
jlj072174
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

October 21, 2009
12:35 AM

Post #7191535

I didn't think about using velcro on the bubble wrap. I like that idea!
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

October 21, 2009
12:46 AM

Post #7191585

LOL - now, I haven't tried it...

But it seems like it would be easy.
LValadez
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 21, 2009
1:41 AM

Post #7191844

Hi, All

I Too have been surfing the web for an energy efficient way to heat my greenhouse during the winter.
I found this link on the web http://ecotechdaily.com/2009/07/01/free-heat-from-an-old-window-and-some-soda-cans/ I was wondering if someone could take a look at this guys ideas and see if this could be applied in heating a greenhouse. I seem simple enough but cant grasp exactly how it would work if at all. That it would be worth a shot. I may have already been tried and failed.

Thanks
Lori

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2009
2:26 AM

Post #7192033

I just posted my comment about whether this might work for a greenhouse, but it won't show up till the moderator approves it as I posted as a guest.

Will post if there is any response. Not a bad idea.

Janet
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 21, 2009
4:52 AM

Post #7192481

I have too much heat in the GH during the day...I need to find a way to store it and release it at night.
My GH roof is clear so the sun heats the GH during the day.
I had three 55gal barrels in the GH last winter and they did help some.
This summer I set them up as rain barrels, maybe I should move them back into the GH.

Thumbnail by rentman

cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2009
4:56 AM

Post #7192493

That is very interesting, I think it would certainly help during the day. I'm using a similar idea to heat the water in my greenhouse so it is stored for evenings. As soon as I test it out enough, I'll post my set-up.

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2009
11:19 AM

Post #7192765

rentman

love the barrows, and I'm especially interested in how ya did that spout???? that is what I need to do, not mechanical here...LOL

love the paint job.

Janet
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 21, 2009
1:12 PM

Post #7193032

Janet, this may sound long but it's not hard, except the drilling maybe.
The barrels are connected at the bottom with 3/4" PVC pipe.
Each joint, on the outside is a 3/4" male threaded to slip connectors.
The male thread goes through a 1" hole, drilled through the barrel and screws into a female 3/4" thread to slip connector.
Now I needed some type of gasket to make the connections water tight, the hardware store had fiber washers with 1" hole for $1.25 each, but I remembered I had a large piece of rubber from a roof repair job so I cut the gaskets from that.
I cut 3" squares of rubber, clamped them between two pieces of wood and drilled through the lot.
The gaskets are on the inside and work great. The drill bit was the most costly item. (not counting the beer) ^_^
Each barrel is connected at the bottom so they all fill equally as it rains. But I do need a larger overflow, maybe 3" dia.
Well a picture is worth 1000 words so I clicked one, Another hard part about this job is holding the fitting on the inside of the barrel.

Thumbnail by rentman

Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

October 21, 2009
2:27 PM

Post #7193290

I don't know if it would help at all, but I did a spout with a hot water heater tap (they're like $3 at a big box) and sealed it with "Goop" glue (highly recommended by my HVAC buddy) and didn't have a leakage problem.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

October 21, 2009
2:44 PM

Post #7193346

Those are the nicest looking rain barrels I've ever seen. Did the tops come off those barrels? If not, how did you get down inside them?
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 21, 2009
3:14 PM

Post #7193486

Didn't think about the 'Goop', Cat. That would work also, but I wasn't worried about a little leak outside.
I needed the spout to come out and beyond the stand they sat on. I get a little more pressure because they set up higher, above ground level. My garden slopes away from the house, (and is bare now, only Organic Weeds) ^_^
Yes Cathy, to metal top are removable but it's a long ways down to the bottom and trying to screw them together...ain't easy..
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

October 21, 2009
8:57 PM

Post #7194569

Perhaps the only advantage of the water heater tap is that you don't have to do anything on the inside. 'Cause they aren't all easy to open up - try it before you buy it!

Lol, rentman - when I used the goop, I was in Arizona. I would not let a single drop fall!
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 21, 2009
9:01 PM

Post #7194584

I moved 2 of my rain barrels into the GH. Had to remove a shelf.
Yes, I have some leaks at the fittings, No not bad leaks and I think they will seal them self with time, I hope.
The green 2x4s to the left is the ladder down into the cellar, where the Boogy Man lives. ^_^
I draw air up from the cellar to help cool the GH in the summer, helps a little.

Must go and watch 'Deal or No Deal'

Thumbnail by rentman

DIRTYGIRL71
Brandon, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 22, 2009
5:49 PM

Post #7197399

would an aquarium adheasive work to "glue" the bubble wrap to the frame or walls??
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 22, 2009
6:00 PM

Post #7197426

I would think that it would not dry fast enough to hold the BW in place.
I had a 2" roll of clear packing tape, worked well for me, sides as well as overhead.
BTW I put up two layers of BW. To a man 'More is Better' ^_^
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

October 22, 2009
6:16 PM

Post #7197479

Sometimes it is for a woman, as well... >grin< ...
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

October 22, 2009
6:48 PM

Post #7197563

Ooooh Cat, you are naughty!
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

October 22, 2009
6:54 PM

Post #7197581

Moi?

As my DH sez, simply mischievous.
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

October 22, 2009
7:18 PM

Post #7197629

That was a great one, Cat!!!! No dinky dinks for me!!!!

I used the big 1" Bubblewrap last year, and it worked great. This year, I put a layer of Reflectix (24" high) over the BW, around the base, and a second layer of cheaper BW around the rest of the sides. Mine is glass, so it doesn't hold the heat very well, EXPENSIVE elec bill the first year, no insulation. I am still trying to decide whether or not to double insulate the top as well.
My GH is attached to a metal potting shed, so a lot of cold air comes in from there. I will insulate in there, when I get a chance. I hung a sheet of the big BW in that doorway, and just roll it up and bungee cord it out of the way when I am working in there. I will probably do that to the entrance doorway to GH as well. I also bought a can of "Great Stuff" insulating foam and sealed the big huge gaps between the GH and shed. That made an immediate difference, no drafts.

My shelves are on cinder blocks, so I am thinking that they will help store heat, as well. They take up a lot of precious room, so I am undecided about keeping them in there or not. Any ideas? It is 8x12 , shed is 8x10 attached.

All of this wasn't cheap, but I figured it was still less than one month's power bill, and I can reuse it.

More is definitely better, in my book!!!
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 22, 2009
8:31 PM

Post #7197804

My first shelf were made of 1x4 and had plastic wire vent shelf that I picked up off trash piles.
I love to recycle.
I bought a ton of metal shelf at an auction for a song.
Now those cinder blocks...they would be used for a raised bed, tomatoes love that, You do grow tomatoes ?
The 'Great Stuff' is wonderful for filling those cracks and spaces, for sure. Shave it off when it's dry and you can paint it...mine are painted Green ^_^
I would sure insulate the wall of the metal potting shed that connects to your GH.
I used electric heat my first winter, I have run a gas line to the GH and using it now. Don't ask 'how much it cost'...I don't know and I don't want my wife to know...I'm retired and it's a hobby for me.

This message was edited Oct 22, 2009 4:36 PM
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

October 22, 2009
9:57 PM

Post #7198038

We're not saying a word, lol!

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2009
11:11 AM

Post #7199753

rentman,

you crack me up, I'm a thinking the next time DH and I are back home to Danville, KY we might have to make a trip by when its best for you as I would love to see yours GH in person. I love the whole design.

(and up here we think more is better also...teeee heeee)

Janet
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 23, 2009
12:04 PM

Post #7199840

Janet, You and yours are always welcome, anytime. I'm on the S/W side of Frankfort, just off US 127.
I'll give you a grand tour of my GH and our 1/3 acre estate. ^_^
As they now say in South Florida (where I'm from) 'Mi Casa tus Casa' (lot of Spanish live there now).
'My Home is your Home'
I'll even give you a Baby Bunny, (don't have any cats or dogs). ^_^
This is a Sweet Potato bloom

Thumbnail by rentman

beclu727

beclu727
Dacula, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 23, 2009
12:40 PM

Post #7199918

Anyone know how many years you can use the same bubblewrap? Mine is 3 years old I think. Its looking really ratty and some of the bubbles look deflated. Its the 1 inch size.
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

October 23, 2009
12:44 PM

Post #7199931

As long as most of the bubbles are still good, I would think it's still effective. Me, I'd duct tape the ratty edges and put it up one more year!
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 23, 2009
1:17 PM

Post #7200002

I'm going on the 2nd year, looks OK, it also is 1 inch.
One problem is that bugs get between it and the glass.
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

October 23, 2009
1:19 PM

Post #7200004

I used clear packing/shipping tape and bungy cords. I also removed the bubble wrap in late May for the summer.

This message was edited Jan 31, 2010 9:51 PM

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2009
5:36 PM

Post #7200690

Rentman right back at ya, I'm from Florida, Miami - then move around a lot and married a guy from Danville, now were up in what I call the north pole, just south of Cleveland. We are trying to decide if we should go back to KY or go on down to Florida, dad is in Bradenton and I've really come to love the west coast... so after the first of the year we will see for sure which place wins out of if we stay put a little longer in the frozen tundra... LOL

Janet
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

October 23, 2009
6:25 PM

Post #7200801

Hay Janet, I was born in West Palm and lived most of my life there.
But while you're waiting to go back, just wrap some Bubble Wrap around you...^_^
Need a photo of that...
My wife wraps up in a heating blanket, long socks, cap over her ears and gloves with finger holes, so she can read her books...and the heat is set at 72...
She ask me to rub her neck and then yells at me for having cold hands.
Yes I know women feel the cold more than men. The best to you.
It's been raining all day so I'm making tomato sauce from tomatoes I canned last year , in a crock pot.
Myst get those sweet potatoes in the jars and 6 rabbits in the freezer...must go.

Dwight...(my real name)

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2009
2:08 AM

Post #7202279

Oh Dwight, I so miss my Florida, just can't beat living next to the water and the clouds that are there...but Kentucky was truly a beautiful stop along the way in my life. Funny thing about up here is that in the summer it is just about the best place to be... but not in the winter, at least that is what my old bones are starting to say. I totally get why there are snow birds in Florida now...rofl.

Janet

ps bubble wrapping self, just might have to give that a try...
DIRTYGIRL71
Brandon, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 24, 2009
2:22 AM

Post #7202341

We definatly have alot of snow birds down here! *S*
boxcar_grower
South Hadley, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2010
12:55 AM

Post #7513662

Hate to bring up a old topic but is there any reason to by the five times the price bubble wrap from charlies or is the packing material equivilent at a fifth the price?

People have stated charlies is UV treated but I cannot verify that on charlies product description.

I can find 1/2" thick and 1" diameter bubble all over the place.
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2010
3:37 AM

Post #7514168

Use the cheap stuff. I use 1" and have had it up for two years, no problem.
This pic you can see it over head on 3/4" wood frames and I taped it to the side windows with 2" clear tape. I used Two layers
I ordered mine, tow 24" rolls, shipping was free.
But Office Depot or where ever.

Dwight

Thumbnail by rentman

jlj072174
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

January 31, 2010
12:30 PM

Post #7514666

I found mine (48" wide, which made for super easy & faster installation) on ebay for a fairly good deal.
LynnPhillips
Buckley, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 31, 2010
9:34 PM

Post #7516235

I got some free last week, from a local frame shop. I bought some 2 winters ago, that I am still using in the GH.
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 1, 2010
12:30 AM

Post #7516778

My favorite price!
boxcar_grower
South Hadley, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2010
12:31 AM

Post #7516781

I just bought mine off amazon. By far the cheapest. 24"x125' of 1/2" bubble caost 19.99 with only $7.95 shipping. I bought two rolls.
Amos55
Lake, MI

February 5, 2010
7:45 PM

Post #7532878

I just ordered this from Amazon.com I hope this what I needed. Its a good price. Is half inch ok?

1/2" x 125ft x 24" BUBBLE WRAP ROLL (Large Bubbles)
4 new from $19.99
(3) Show only Packitright Bubble items

I am hoping to use the back half to start my seedling with an electic heater next month.
Do you tape the rows together?
Not sure how to put it up. I really don't want left over sticky stuff on the plastic frame. How do you do yours?

I just got up the gh so this whole thing will be trial and error.

boxcar_grower
South Hadley, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2010
9:31 PM

Post #7533189

That is the bubble wrap that I used. As for as putting it up, I tested some a while back using water tension. It works fabulous. Hot or cold days, sunny or cloud, and heated or not heated the bubble wrap stay up without any hint of falling. I have used it on the ceiling and wall without issue. I just spray the polycarbonate well with water and stick the bubble wrap in place. Perfect.
jlj072174
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

February 6, 2010
1:48 PM

Post #7535001

One trick I found to help keep the bubble wrap in place in certain awkward areas where tape wasn't functional was binder clips. You can get a pack of 20 or so from any office supply store in various sizes for only a couple bucks, and they helped tremendously! I used them along the roof to secure the bubble wrap from the high pitch point of my GH, and not a single piece has fallen.
Amos55
Lake, MI

February 6, 2010
5:09 PM

Post #7535508

Boxcar,

how big is your gh?

Sorry to be so dumb but what is water tension, I am lost :)

Thanks for everyones help

Amos
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 6, 2010
6:27 PM

Post #7535660

Amos, I also would like to understand the water tension...
I know my B.W. wont stay put with a water tension film. ??
I cut 3/4" wood frames for my over heads sections and wrapped twice with BW, then stapled.
Have wood clips to hold the frames up. Here is a pic of them.
Another to follow.

Thumbnail by rentman

rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 6, 2010
6:30 PM

Post #7535666

And another shot of a larger frame..

My internet is really Sloooo to day ???

This message was edited Feb 6, 2010 1:31 PM

Thumbnail by rentman

boxcar_grower
South Hadley, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 6, 2010
10:49 PM

Post #7536493

My greenhouse is a 8 x 16. Water tension simply is using water to create adhesion. All I did was take a spray bottle and fill it with regualr water. Spray the inside of the polycarbonate well to really wet it. Take the bubble wrap with the bubble side facing the glazing and place it on the the wet surface. I use my hand to smooth and press it against the glazing.

I have some on my ceiling that has been there for over a month. If I tug at it, it will come off no problem.

I will try to take some pics.

I did not want to litter my greenhouse with small spots of 2 sided tape. So I tried water as a test and have been thrilled.

I used 2 sided tape on the north wall. The north wall has refelectix insulation.

The bubble wap makes a huge difference in heat loss. I have twin wall polycarbonate that is opaque. The bubble wrap does not seem to diffuse light to a unacceptable level.

Mike
Amos55
Lake, MI

February 9, 2010
3:38 PM

Post #7544596

Mike,

Thanks for the reply and your help.

Wow I am impressed with the idea of no sticky tape or glues or velcro.

I am going to certainly try your way.

Could you please send your pics so we can see?

Thanks again

Amos

boxcar_grower
South Hadley, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 9, 2010
5:31 PM

Post #7544922

Sure. I will take some today.
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 9, 2010
5:37 PM

Post #7544948

Please keep in mind that some of the greeenhouse kits have the panels with UV protective film on the inside of the panels. If you stick bubblewrap to it, you risk damaging the UV protection

This message was edited Feb 9, 2010 6:16 PM
boxcar_grower
South Hadley, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 10, 2010
1:02 AM

Post #7546078

My rion is UV coated on the outside only.
Amos55
Lake, MI

February 10, 2010
6:06 PM

Post #7548191

I don't know about mine, I would think my Rion is the same as Mike's.

My bubble wrap came today yippppeeee

My furnace broke got pretty cold in here, furnace man said it is so sick we need a whole new system. So I will need the heater I was going to use out there to keep me at least warm. So maybe next week I will be able to put up my BW.

Thanks for the pics Miike

Amos
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2010
3:03 AM

Post #7549607

Oh geez - that's awful. Hope you warm up soon!!!
boxcar_grower
South Hadley, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 14, 2010
12:32 PM

Post #7558059

I currently have nothing started in the greenhouse but I plan to start using it in a couple weeks full time. The heater has beed installed and just waiting for the plumbing inspector to sign off on it.

The bubble wrap has made a huge difference. I have twinwall polycarbonate for all glazing surfaces. It radiated heat out as fast as the outdoor temp would drop. Many mornings the greenhouse was only 2-3 degrees above outdoor temp. Usually in the single numbers.

This is what I did. The entire north wall is insulated with reflectix foil bubble insulation. The center of the wall has 3/4 plywood with the heater. The ceiling, wall, and southern wall are completely clad in bubble wrap. I just used the cheap stuff. $200+ for the charlies was rediculous. I paid $40 for mine. We will see how it holds up. If I get a year out of it that is great at those prices.

Also, I have a insulated floor consisting of rigid foam insulation and dark red concrete pavers. This helps the floor from oozing in cold ground air.

Results. This morning with the outside temp at 19 the unheated greenhouse was 46. WOW. 27 degrees of heat retention. Another benefit is in these higher sun days of February the uninsulated space would climb to the mid 90's with no ventilation. After bubble wrap the space climbs to the mid 80's. A benefit that is was not expecting. I added my auto roof vent openers set to 75 with no fresh air louver and it kept the greenhouse in the mid 70's. That is perfect for mid winter. I was concerned about overheating in winter because I am at work when it is time for manual ventalation. In the spring and summer I just left the door open a bit before I go to work and that brings enough cool air into the greenhouse. Eventiually, I want to add automatic ventalation but it is costly and more gerry rigging has to be done. Only draw back about the rion is the plastic frame. Takes some inventions to get thing to work properly.
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 14, 2010
3:03 PM

Post #7558268

Almost a year ago I started this thread and am amazed at how many times is has been viewed. I have the BW from last year so I will need to get it up soon. Mar 1st is when I usually start the GH up. Boxcar, sounds like you got a great setup
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2010
4:26 PM

Post #7558475

Dang - 27 degree diff? That's great, especially for your zone. I'm sold!
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2010
8:06 PM

Post #7558975

I'm sold, too! I put rigid styro insulation on my North wall, it made a big difference, and lots of clear caulk at joints, but bubble wrap on the ceiling, I need to do that, our weather doesn't look like we are going to warm up anytime soon and I've got petunias starting in the kitchen.
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2010
11:52 PM

Post #7559394

Yeah, I have a bunch of stuff that I can't move out... 2-4 inches of snow again tomorrow, grrr.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2010
11:54 PM

Post #7559399

cat, we've got at least a new inch already, and I didn't get out to water today. It will take a shovel to get out there tomorrow. yuk, this is not what I imagined when I got a greenhouse. I kept picturing sunny cold days spent in there, not day after day of clouds, bummer.
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 14, 2010
11:56 PM

Post #7559402

I know it, Cath - but I hear that spring always comes. I don't believe it, personally, but that's what they're saying...
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 15, 2010
12:11 AM

Post #7559442

Just heard a robin out singing. It might one of those crazy one that decided to winter over. I guess there's a flock of about a 100 that do. Still, makes it sound like spring is just around the corner
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2010
3:55 AM

Post #7559897

Please let it be soon!
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

February 15, 2010
3:59 AM

Post #7559904

we haven't had our winter thaw yet this year, it usually happens by Valentine's Day at the latest, it doesn't look like we are having one this year.
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2010
4:34 AM

Post #7559958

♫♫♫♫♫♫spring is coming soon♫♫♫♫♫♫
DIRTYGIRL71
Brandon, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 15, 2010
2:54 PM

Post #7560702

Soon, but not soon enough!!!
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2010
3:14 PM

Post #7560756

Hey - there's another Robin singing!!! Yay!!!
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2010
4:07 PM

Post #7560986

PC, :)

I'm trying to be optimistic and am hoping this is the last of the winter snowstorms.(sigh)

Been lurking and I love what you all have reported about the bubble wrap. Looks a lot neater than what I did, but mine works too. I have a portable 10 x 10 GH, which I had the bright idea of setting up at the back of the garden...well away from the electric outlet, so no heat. I draped and loosely gathered plastic drop cloths between the frame and the outter plastic to create an air pocket. I also suspended another drop cloth from the center roof frame to create a tent below. I have a small (30 gal?) compost bin in the center under the tent, surrounded by buckets of tomatoes, potatoes planted in early January and a left over petunia. Works fairly well to keep the tent temp above 50, But I didn't insulate the ground under the buckets and lost the tomatoes and potatoes. The only thing that survived in the tent was a petunia. Wasn't expecting that any of those would, but I wanted to experiment with generating and retaining heat. In the outter portion of the GH, I have two 80 gal or so white containers of water, plus a dozen black painted gal milk jugs. I planted carrots, beets, and radishes in containers late November. They grew a little, but not enough to brag about. I moved 4 swiss chard at the same time and they've grown all winter.

My point is that there are a lot of great ideas here and using every available resource, I think we can get a lot more use out of the greenhouses without breaking the bank heating them.
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 15, 2010
7:35 PM

Post #7561636

Love my GH
Here is what a 'picked today. We eat the roots and the rabbits get the green tops.

Thumbnail by rentman

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 15, 2010
8:06 PM

Post #7561729

That's what I'm talking about! Way to go!
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 20, 2010
1:02 PM

Post #7573920

Might not be pretty but what about that foil tape or duct tape? Or would that be difficult to get off the frames of the greenhouse? Do you think masking tape would hole? "Curiosity killed the cat!" How does one know what the temperature gets to inside their greenhouse? It looks to me that if you have to go inside the greenhouse to see what the thermometer reads, you are letting valuable heat out and cooling it down even more...or is there a way that you can read the temperature from inside your house? What kind of flooring do most greenhouses have in them?
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 20, 2010
2:47 PM

Post #7574155

Hi, Pippi...I have to go out to check on my GH temps. There are thermometers that the main component is in the house and a remote sensor is outside, or in this case, in the GH. We set mine up on bare ground, but it's kind of small and only for starting vegetables early.
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 20, 2010
3:04 PM

Post #7574181

I have a remote sensor in the GH and the temperature/moisture display in the house. It also has an alarm for hi/low temps which really helps me sleep at night. Got it at Home Depot under $25
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 20, 2010
3:19 PM

Post #7574211

Joanna, thanks. Putting up another GH closer to the house this weekend so I can use one...have to get the one with the alarm.
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 20, 2010
3:28 PM

Post #7574233

I use 2" clear tape to hold bubble wrap to side walls.
Over head I built 3/4" sq wood frames, wrapped BW around twice and stapled.
They are held over head by friction and a 3" wood swivel clip with a screw in the center. If I want to remove them the over head would be easy, don't know why I would remove them.
See Post #7535660 and Post #7535666 above.

Dwight
Amos55
Lake, MI

February 22, 2010
6:41 PM

Post #7579290

I don't think masking tape would hold very good.

I just got one that I ordered through Harris seeds. When I was a Meijers yesterday looking at all the garden goodies I saw the same one for cheaper, and they had a very good selection of sensor ones at a good price.

I am happy with the one I got. I don't have anything in my GH yet. I can't afford the propane this early. But it is nice to be able to see what the temps are throughout the day.

Amos
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 22, 2010
6:53 PM

Post #7579320

I use shipping tape. Works fine for me
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2010
2:18 AM

Post #7580535

Rentman..your caladiums are beautiful, but why are their leaves curled downward? Do they need a drink?
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2010
3:20 AM

Post #7580629

Dwight, what all do you have growing in containers? How deep is your carrot planter?
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 23, 2010
4:54 AM

Post #7580759

I grow mostly carrots, also spinach and lettuce.
I bought some plastic window boxes at out 'dollar store' they are about 9" deep and even with potting soil I get deformed carrots...
I built a tray that they set in, which is lined with plastic, in which I keep water so they have a constant supply.
My tomato plant which was in a 2 gal pot finely died out, don't know why, it was doing so well until a month ago.

Dwight
msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2010
2:22 PM

Post #7581220

Dwight, great technique with the tray! Obviously, they aren't all deformed. I'm wondering how a shorter blunt tip carrot would work.
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 23, 2010
4:30 PM

Post #7581512

I'm grow more and more Heirloom vegs. these are Nantes Carrot, a short one. But even when they have green sholders they are Sweet. My DW loves to put these in a salad. Tops go to my Live Stock, (rabbits). I pulled the rest of my 'Root Crop' this AM , so maybe a Carrot Cake, who knows ??? ^^_^^

Try 'em and show us what you get.
I have grown turnips, radish, ect in these 'window planters' boxes. The bottom watering is the 'Cat Meow'. All ofl my seed starters have the bottom watering trays.
I don't get a lot of production from the GH but it's fun. Brought a Banana plant back from FL in Dec. and it looks like I will 'KILL' this one also before Spring.
One of these days I'll learn how to grow plants.

Love Daves Garden...Dwight

Thumbnail by rentman

rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 23, 2010
4:38 PM

Post #7581537

Need some Banana Fertilizer for this one.

Thumbnail by rentman

msrobin
Caneyville, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 23, 2010
4:58 PM

Post #7581590

Keeps you off the streets. LOL! I've been following your progress and you are doing amazing things. I've had greenhouse envy ever since you first posted your little GH.
Amos55
Lake, MI

February 23, 2010
5:03 PM

Post #7581606

Them there carrots sure look g-oo-d YUMMY
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 23, 2010
5:32 PM

Post #7581674

Amos, they are YUMMY this time of the year. Our snow is now all gone. YESS...

Thanks Sweet Robin, HUGS Come over and visit me...I'll give you a Carrot. ^^_^^

I'm going to FL. in a week, for two weeks, ( so my out side garden may get a slow start this year ) but 'look out' when I get back.
Had a sweet lady, a few years older than myself ( I'll be 72 next month ) , stop by , last year asking if I had some 'Green Tomatoes' for sale, I said NO ( not for sale ) but she could have as many as she wanted, 'You Pick'
She took some tomatoes, cucumbers and green and red sweet peppers and the next week I had a couple jars of green tomatoes sauce on my door slept...YUMM always better when some one else make it...^^_^^

This thread is getting a little long, you can see a number of my post above. But keep posting

Dwight
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

February 24, 2010
4:38 PM

Post #7584292

Green tomato sauce? I have heard of fried green tomatoes, but never sauce... hm,mmmm... you use it the same as red tomato sauce?
rentman
Frankfort, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 24, 2010
4:47 PM

Post #7584308

It's like a pickle recipe , the lady put some onions in and also Green Food coloring , it was realy green.
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

February 24, 2010
4:49 PM

Post #7584315

I started a new thread. We can move over. Bubble Wrap the Greenhouse for Insulation - PART 2

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1077853/

had to edit the link

This message was edited Feb 24, 2010 11:19 AM
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

September 9, 2010
4:45 PM

Post #8089722

bump, it is almost time to start thinking about getting ready for winter, thought this thread would be a good review.
jlj072174
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 8a)

November 30, 2010
3:36 AM

Post #8237097

I can't recall if I mentioned this earlier or not when I bubble-wrapped my GH last year, but I found binder clips to be priceless when I wrapped mine! Not only were they helpful in holding the BW in place while I was hanging/affixing it, but in some cases, it was easier to use the binder clips to attach the wrap than it was to tape it. I went to Staples and just bought a couple cheap packs of them in a couple sizes so I'd have some variety depending on what I'd need and where in some tight-fitting spots.

My daughter still laughs at me because one morning, I was sitting in my chair, still sleepy and taking my first sips of coffee. The idea of how to attach the wrap in a couple places had been working my brain over for a few days, and all of a sudden, it hit me. I sat up in my chair and yelled "BINDER CLIPS!' It's amazing what a cup of joe and a good night's sleep will do for ya! :-)
Hallchinalady
Central Pa
United States

December 2, 2010
2:52 PM

Post #8241190

Thank you for the thoughts on this...I have two big boxes of bubble wrap (I also sell on ebay) just sitting in the garage...and it's the time of year where I might be able to get clips cheap! Gonna have to give this a go!
onyxwar
Greeley, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2010
6:21 PM

Post #8245992

I had great luck using packing tape.
RDZinny
Mechanicsville, VA

December 6, 2010
8:14 AM

Post #8246762

Has anyone tried self stick Velcro ? I have a solar pool cover I was thinking of cutting to fit the outside of the greenhouse. I was going to lay it over the greenhouse and only cut the front and back to fit and secure it with long strips of velcro. I have heard that self stick Velcro dosen't do well in heat but it is winter so I thought I might give it a shot. I don't know if it would work for bubblewrap on the inside due to high humidity and heat.
Any thoughts on this ?
onyxwar
Greeley, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 6, 2010
11:54 AM

Post #8247101

I have not used it for that, but I know that it doesn't stick really well if it gets too wet. Maybe put a small strip on your roof and give it a few days to see if it will stay.
RDZinny
Mechanicsville, VA

December 7, 2010
6:51 AM

Post #8248307

Thank you for your reply !
I am not sure about the inside bubble wrap either. I was going to try the little "dots" of velcro.
On the outside with the solar pool cover, the problem is that it does sweat between the solar pool cover and the greenhouse. I didn't want to use tape because I don't want to mess up the pool cover---but I might have to. Hope it comes off easy LOL !
boxcar_grower
South Hadley, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 18, 2010
12:13 PM

Post #8266613

Here is an update for me. My cheapo amazon.com bubble wrap is still going strong. It has been almost a year and it still looks great and it never has fallen down.

95% of the bubble wrap is still clinging to the walls/ceiling with my original water tension installation. Only near to door do I have to re-apply water every 2-3 months or so. I attribute that to wind when to doors are open. Water tension is the way to go. No mess and I just pull it off if I want to. Here in New England we just went through the hottest summer on record and the bubble wrap help up just fine.

I am keeping my greenhouse at 55-60 degrees this winter. This late December very low sun angle and long cold nights has caused me to use a decent amount to propane.

I am overwintering my wife's hyacinth shrub and her lantana hanging basket. Both are in full bloom. I am harvesting radishes, leaf lettuce, and mixed greens. Carrots just sprouted. Kinda limited with so little sun. In mid January I will be starting greenhouse tomato and cukes. And in late February all my annuals.

I need a bigger greenhouse!
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

December 18, 2010
9:56 PM

Post #8267281

Don't we all?
Hallchinalady
Central Pa
United States

December 19, 2010
12:12 PM

Post #8267927

Just put up the HF one that's 6 x 8 and already I need a bigger greenhouse...but for the moment..this'll do...just nice to go in when it's really cold outside!
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

December 20, 2010
12:27 PM

Post #8269312

After reading this thread and others, I decided to put bubble wrap in my GH. It has leaks, which I haven't been able to plug. Today, I bought a 12" x 75' roll from Home Depot and put it up, starting at the North end, along the top and East wall. I got about 5' done, then ran out of wrap. Thank goodness it's only $12 a roll!
Barb

Thumbnail by Beach_Barbie

Hallchinalady
Central Pa
United States

December 21, 2010
3:44 PM

Post #8271291

I used the small bubble wrap cause that's what I had...I haven't regretted it yet!
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

December 21, 2010
5:21 PM

Post #8271481

I have pieces of the big and small up in the attic that I save to use when sending packages. I'm sure they'll come in handy for those small odd spots in the GH.
Barb
vhanna
Hugo (Vicki), OK
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2010
7:36 AM

Post #8272277

When putting the bubble wrap inside on the walls of greenhouse, do you put flat side or the bubbles next to the panels?

vicki
onyxwar
Greeley, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 22, 2010
10:55 AM

Post #8272525

Bubbles to the panels.
vhanna
Hugo (Vicki), OK
(Zone 7b)

December 22, 2010
6:13 PM

Post #8273042

Thanks!! Will put some up.

Vicki
gaseedgrower
Hollywood, FL
(Zone 11)

December 23, 2010
4:18 AM

Post #8273363

Does it matter the color of the bubble wrap? I'm asking cause Wal-Mart has pink color on sale for $2.00 dollars on 12"x50".
joannabanana
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3a)

December 23, 2010
7:27 AM

Post #8273581

I think clear is the best way to go. The coloured bubble wrap may block the sunlight too much. Same goes for bubble size, the bigger the better to allow maximum amount of light in.

I only leave the bubble wrap up for a few weeks in March when/if our temperatures are really cold. The plants really take off within days of removing the wrap.

I am now looking for alight-weight insulated tarp to put on the roof at night. That's where the majority of heat-loss is.
boxcar_grower
South Hadley, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 24, 2010
7:52 AM

Post #8274996

Red light spectrum is important for plant growth. Primarily responsible for blooming. Pink bubble wrap is every color but pink.

The question is will the pink bubble wrap reduce the red light getting into the greenhouse or will in allow red light in and then reflect it back?

HMMMMMMM

A physicist I am not
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

December 24, 2010
8:58 PM

Post #8275879

I don't see why you couldn't use the pink for the north side and around the bottoms of the walls.
onyxwar
Greeley, CO
(Zone 5b)

December 29, 2010
10:39 AM

Post #8282067

I agree w/ Cathy. I would stick to clear large bubbles for the rest. You can get it at Lowe's and HD for a reasonable price. I think I paid 20 for a roll and it covered the roof, side walls, and south wall on my 6x8 gh. I used smaller bubbles for the rest.
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

January 3, 2011
12:01 PM

Post #8290284

Done! I finished bubble wrapping the GH today. I covered the ceiling and East wall, the two areas that were the most leaky. I noticed a difference in it's ability to retain heat even when I had only covered 2/3 of it. Now it's gonna really work!

Thumbnail by Beach_Barbie

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Greenhouse Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Online sources for greenhouse film? Terry 11 Oct 31, 2012 5:55 PM
Old Tomcat Sprays My Greenhouse Weezingreens 24 May 22, 2009 5:37 PM
Early 1900s Wm. H. Lutton Glasshouse Jersey City, NJ Abutilon 50 Jan 22, 2009 3:55 AM
Best greenhouse for the money JimKennard 90 Sep 22, 2012 8:54 PM
Santa Barbara Greenhouses? mysticwill 8 May 4, 2009 3:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America