Chain/Drag Harrows

Hempstead, TX(Zone 8a)

We are in the market for a harrow. We have a 58 hp tractor and a big ATV that would be doing the pulling. I have done some research and talked to farmers and tractor folks and all agree that heavier is better and 8ft or up is better than a 6ft. We have about 35 acres that we would be dragging (breaking up manure, dethatching, etc).

Before I make any decisions, I would appreciate the input of those of you who have some experience with these things. We have thought about making one, but my love of a husband who happens to be an engineer, when given the opportunity to make or build something, has a tendency to go a bit overboard. Those stories for another day.

So, I thank you all in advance for your help.

Melissa

Poolville, TX

I do think heavier is better and would still put stuff on it to make it heavier. I have a 6 foot wide one. We turn it sideways when we want wider.

:) Jennifer

Hempstead, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks Jennifer. Did you make it or purchase it? And, what sorts of things do you put on it to make it heavier?

Poolville, TX

We bought ours from Tractor Supply. We have put cinder blocks, wood, and tires on it. I feel like I can never get it as heavy as I want it.

I have seen someone use a piece of chain link fence (also putting junk on it o make heavy). If you lived closer you could borrow mine to see if you liked it. :)

Hempstead, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Jennifer. A friend of ours is making one out of chain link, and he will let us give it a try. The ones I have priced are not horribly expensive - but money is a little tight - so it will help the cause.

Where is Poolville?

Sapello, NM(Zone 5b)

Jennifer,
Is yours a flex tine harrow?
Jay

Poolville, TX

Melissa- west of Fort Worth, near Weatherford. Did you post on another forum about your cow not letting down because you sold the calf?

Jay- Hmm, it is flexible.

Hempstead, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow, I don't remember. I had a cow who kept jumping the fence after I took her calf off of her. We finally had to sell her. Maybe you can job my memory a bit mre.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images